WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How can we make Wine Woot-Offs better?
  • 20.8% - offer more wine-related items like glasses and aerators 139
  • 11.7% - more themes like the Petite Syrah Woot-Off we recently had 78
  • 27.8% - more food items that pair well with wine 186
  • 33.5% - MOAR WINES PLZ JUST MOAR 224
  • 6.3% - Other (specify in the comments) 42
669 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

dlubarov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlubarov

I would like more variety in some offers. I rarely order 4-6 identical wines, even if I know that I'll like them.

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

A good kosher wine now and then. Please.

keplar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages keplar

Maybe I'm just missing the right deals, but it feels like every time I check Wine Woot, it's some $40-$60 thing. When I first joined up, Wine Woot was an affordable place to try fun things. Now it's either expensive single bottles, or groups of the same product. I can never justify even a cursory look at most of this stuff.

Bring back the less expensive stuff - $15 can still get a delicious table wine, or do variety packs at a reasonable per-bottle price.

-Keplar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
keplar wrote:Maybe I'm just missing the right deals, but it feels like every time I check Wine Woot, it's some $40-$60 thing. When I first joined up, Wine Woot was an affordable place to try fun things. Now it's either expensive single bottles, or groups of the same product. I can never justify even a cursory look at most of this stuff.

Bring back the less expensive stuff - $15 can still get a delicious table wine, or do variety packs at a reasonable per-bottle price.

The wine up at this very moment is $11.50 a bottle. How about you buy that so we can move on.

CT

keplar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages keplar
cortot20 wrote:The wine up at this very moment is $11.50 a bottle. How about you buy that so we can move on.

It's also 5 bottles of the same thing. Did you read my post, or were you too busy being condescending?

-Keplar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
keplar wrote:It's also 5 bottles of the same thing. Did you read my post, or were you too busy being condescending?

Just in a rush.

CT

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
keplar wrote:Maybe I'm just missing the right deals, but it feels like every time I check Wine Woot, it's some $40-$60 thing. When I first joined up, Wine Woot was an affordable place to try fun things. Now it's either expensive single bottles, or groups of the same product. I can never justify even a cursory look at most of this stuff.

Hear, hear! It's nice that now and then there's a remarkable deal on 2-3 bottles of some really spectacular wine or other, but keeping well-chosen bargain wines - good, perhaps unusual or less well-known and moderately priced wines - in the mix is really important.

The single varietal woot-offs are ... well ... fine, if you're a partisan for a particular wine. But most people, I think, buy 1) variety, 2) ready-to-drink-now-or-soon, and 3) high value (quality/cost) wines when they can.

Thanks, Wine.Woot, for asking!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
dlubarov wrote:I would like more variety in some offers. I rarely order 4-6 identical wines, even if I know that I'll like them.

+1

I love Ports, Icewines, and some eclectic things like Sake, however I will never buy more than 3 different woots of the same type of wine.

The PS woot-off, while different was not my glass of wine. It did however lead me to a few different winery websites (of which I did order from them directly)

Keep the variety up during the woot-off. Wine glasses are great, cheeses are a wonderful change of pace, the international chocolates were awesome. Decanters are fun. It doesn't always have to be wine for it to be fun.

People will complain regardless of what you do, so have fun. Maybe put a Turducken up there once in awhile.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

More variety packs would be terrific!!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

I think you are just checking at the wrong time. They do a good job at keep the price pretty well rounded.

I am glad that WW is not displaying $2.77 Oak Leaf wine.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

FredFairOaks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FredFairOaks

Woot buyers;
How about a quality Burr Grinder with a mix of coffees. The grinder need not be "High End", but of lasting quality, and not a blade grinder. Also, your recent chocolate and Toffee offerings were just the BOMB. I like the site, sure can it be improved, but your sales reflect the majority view, and seem to reflect the market. Living in California, your wine choices are truly amazing as I would be a lifetime finding and buying the wines you offer.

crystalinfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crystalinfire

Ever thought of a Beer Woot?

crystalinfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crystalinfire

One other thing how about some less alcoholic wines? I ordered some I guess I just didn't know what alcohol content I had been drinking (8%). The ones I ordered from wine woot were 14 to 15 percent. Any way we can get some lower alcohol table wines?

offgridmanpolktn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages offgridmanpolktn

Here here on the beer. Why not get us some of the artisan six packs that we have to drive over the state line do get for ourselves.

And thanks for the morning freakout Mudman, grabbed my phone to check this out this morning and thought something had gotten inside of it. :-)

IndigoHills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IndigoHills

In responsed to the calls for more variety packs, I have to say that I rarely want someone else's choice of variety.

tucker62305

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tucker62305

A wine.woot equivalent of the Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute! would be fun..

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

BRING BACK THE LAB RAT PROGRAM! Many of us look at CT or any other Internet reviews before we push the big gold button. I would prefer to read what fellow wooters have to say about a wine, even if that review is not a "sophisticated" review.

StarM

quality posts: 20 Private Messages StarM
jmdavidson wrote:BRING BACK THE LAB RAT PROGRAM! Many of us look at CT or any other Internet reviews before we push the big gold button. I would prefer to read what fellow wooters have to say about a wine, even if that review is not a "sophisticated" review.

+1

I was lucky enough to be a labrat once, and found it to be a fascinating experience. Really enjoyed focusing (really paying attention to) on the wine & having the responsibility to be objective and descriptive of my experience.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

On several occassions, wooters beg a winemaker to offer something specific and the answer comes back "we made too little of it to make for a woot offering". These sound like perfect candidates for a woot-off - something we want, haven't had a chance at, but would blow through too quickly to have available for a full day.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
coynedj wrote:On several occassions, wooters beg a winemaker to offer something specific and the answer comes back "we made too little of it to make for a woot offering". These sound like perfect candidates for a woot-off - something we want, haven't had a chance at, but would blow through too quickly to have available for a full day.

+1

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
coynedj wrote:On several occassions, wooters beg a winemaker to offer something specific and the answer comes back "we made too little of it to make for a woot offering". These sound like perfect candidates for a woot-off - something we want, haven't had a chance at, but would blow through too quickly to have available for a full day.

+2

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

+3

I always look forward to the wine.woot-offs as a chance to get my hands on some Kronos. While it is arguably some of the priciest stuff woot sells (~ $85/bottle), it's also REALLY hard to come by. But there's no way Cathy would be able to do a full offer of just Kronos these days, I'm sure. Woot-offs are perfect for that.

I also like the idea of variety packs. Part of what I love about wine.woot is the ability to try new wineries. Getting 4 bottles of the same thing from a new-to-me winery is chancy, but give me a pack showing their breadth and it's much more tantalizing. Helps me get familiar with the winery.

Ugh, I shouldn't have eaten that Paczki.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jmdavidson

You are right on target. +_

1ezmonkey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1ezmonkey

start shipping wine to PA.

I think I'm getting into Heaven.
WOOT = 130 items
SHIRT.WOOT = 72 shirts
WINE.WOOT = 1 item (can't ship wine to Pa.)
SELLOUT.WOOT = 30 items
KIDS.WOOT = 18 items

cheron98

1ezmonkey wrote:start shipping wine to PA.

Contact your legislators and tell them to Free the Grapes.

jmdavidson

When WTSO has their marathon Cheapeskate days, they sell lots and lots of wines, kind of like a woot off, until they ares sold out and then move on to the next wine. They use Twitter to let us know when the next wine is up. For those of us that work to support the wine industry, I would like to see Wine Woot use Twitter so I can work and still follow what is next up for sale.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

How about make all wines half off Woot prices during Woot-offs?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
jmdavidson wrote:When WTSO has their marathon Cheapeskate days, they sell lots and lots of wines, kind of like a woot off, until they ares sold out and then move on to the next wine. They use Twitter to let us know when the next wine is up. For those of us that work to support the wine industry, I would like to see Wine Woot use Twitter so I can work and still follow what is next up for sale.

They do put it on the Woot-off twitter account, but it is cluttered with the other Woot-off items, so I agree a singular wine.woot-off account would be nice.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cheron98

jmdavidson wrote:When WTSO has their marathon Cheapeskate days, they sell lots and lots of wines, kind of like a woot off, until they ares sold out and then move on to the next wine. They use Twitter to let us know when the next wine is up. For those of us that work to support the wine industry, I would like to see Wine Woot use Twitter so I can work and still follow what is next up for sale.

If you have an Android phone, there's an app - WootWatcher - that works really really well. You can also use wootalyzer's SMS alerts, which you can sign up just for the wine.woot alerts, which also works really well.

jmdavidson

cheron98 wrote:If you have an Android phone, there's an app - WootWatcher - that works really really well. You can also use wootalyzer's SMS alerts, which you can sign up just for the wine.woot alerts, which also works really well.

Thanks for the info. I signed up for the Wootalyzer SMS slert. Hope it works, so I can get back to work.

EDIT: It works. Thanks again for the tip.

bleekii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bleekii

Why is it all wine? I drink beer. If you sold beer then maybe buy, but either the prices would have to be great or you'd have to offer something I can't buy locally. Wait... beer fizzy... shipping... may be bad? I don't know. It's your business and I just know that I don't drink wine. Though my wife likes wine so maybe if the price was right I might buy something for a holiday at some point. Thank you for reading this extremely unhelpful post.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

wine woot.offs should only be about wine, not food or accessories, in my opinion.

But I'd like to see some better prices.

woot.offs should be about deals. The high priced stuff should be the exception, not the rule, at least for general woot offs.

Special ones, like the PS one, are different.

How about some low price cases or half cases? Some truly excellent, can't not buy, prices instead of the same pricing as a standard wine.woot day.

Just my 2cents.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cheron98

crystalinfire wrote:Ever thought of a Beer Woot?

offgridmanpolktn wrote:Here here on the beer. Why not get us some of the artisan six packs that we have to drive over the state line do get for ourselves.

And thanks for the morning freakout Mudman, grabbed my phone to check this out this morning and thought something had gotten inside of it. :-)

bleekii wrote:Why is it all wine? I drink beer. If you sold beer then maybe buy, but either the prices would have to be great or you'd have to offer something I can't buy locally. Wait... beer fizzy... shipping... may be bad? I don't know. It's your business and I just know that I don't drink wine. Though my wife likes wine so maybe if the price was right I might buy something for a holiday at some point. Thank you for reading this extremely unhelpful post.

Oh fer the love of...

No, actually READ that whole thread. Shoo.

bedonwineboxes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bedonwineboxes

More Noceto please!

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

+4

Also this:

cheron98 wrote:I always look forward to the wine.woot-offs as a chance to get my hands on some Kronos. While it is arguably some of the priciest stuff woot sells (~ $85/bottle), it's also REALLY hard to come by. But there's no way Cathy would be able to do a full offer of just Kronos these days, I'm sure. Woot-offs are perfect for that.

I also like the idea of variety packs. Part of what I love about wine.woot is the ability to try new wineries. Getting 4 bottles of the same thing from a new-to-me winery is chancy, but give me a pack showing their breadth and it's much more tantalizing. Helps me get familiar with the winery.

More different flavors of wine from the same winery in a single offering. I also dig on woot launches, we really hit big on the Crusher orange wine. Would be cool to launch on a woot-off if a wine maker does not want to commit their full inventory or even a large portion as The Crusher did...

CT Updating, please wait....

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

+1

please follow @wootwine, it's starting to move a little quicker

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:How about make all wines half off Woot prices during Woot-offs?

then all our winery producers would go bankrupt and then we would all be screwed.

WineDavid was my Boss!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
1ezmonkey wrote:start shipping wine to PA.

That's not wine.woot's issue. It's those people we keep sending to Harrisburg who have the exclusive power to change it.

Write your legislator and ask them to 1) privatize the state stores, and 2) make direct shipping a part of privatization legislation (it has to be addressed there because shipping to consumers is currently handled by the state stores).

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I am definetly a fan of having multiple different wines in a pack. I'd much rather purchase a 2+2 of something I don't know than 4 of the same thing.

I also concur with Cheron in that this is the ideal forum for smaller batches/ rarer wines.

I disagree with some posters who want to only see cheaper wines. I am for the most part disinterested in $10 wine and would much prefer the $20-30 woot price range for the $30-50+ retail type wines.

One thing further: put up some more wines with very small lot sizes (10) that benefit those people who jump in quickly. I think that kind of thing improves the woot-off atmosphere.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar