CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 2 2008 BARRA of Mendocino Bella Dolce Petite Sirah Dessert Wine, 750ml
CT link above

Winery website

Facebook

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kokoko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokoko

Where's the Cheese Woot. I'm into the stinky cheese but I have to pass on the wine.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66

Can't pass up a unique offer like this. A Petite Sirah dessert wine. WD, you are killing me.

BARRA Bella Dolce Dessert Wine
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: dgriff80
Speed to first woot: 1m 10.667s
Last wooter to woot: jimjacks66

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

Seeing as how OH is on the short list for this offer, I'm in for 2!

Last wooter to woot: chipgreen

bethmbg

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bethmbg

I was once told at a tasting that port had the same shelf life as a regular bottle of red wine once it's been opened. Any truth to that? It would be hard to finish a bottle of dessert wine in one evening without a lot of friends...

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

750ml bottles of dessert wine...now that's a party!

Very intriguing offering, I'm tempted but we rarely open dessert wine. Is it safe to assume this stuff can lay down for many years?

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66

$28 per bottle on the winery's website. Nice discount here on woot at $20 per bottle (before shipping). Curious what the winery thinks as to the drinking window question?

dpcollects

quality posts: 19 Private Messages dpcollects

Sounds delicious, now I just need Pennsylvania to lift the ban on my fun!!!

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

very informative Vintners Voicemail left by the winemaker today, I always learn something new from these. Thanks Jason!

WineDavid was my Boss!

c2h5oh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages c2h5oh

I wonder how this compares to Zinfandel Ports. It'd be great if somebody had both this and a Terra D'oro's Zin Port - that's one has a good balance of price/taste for me and is available locally.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mudman2007 wrote:Why does Woot never offer dessert wines from Israel?

Off topic, but that ant is awful, I'm now itching all over

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

I'm a sucker for a desert wine. I've had PS port style from Oregon and love it...will be interesting to contrast.

BARRA Bella Dolce Dessert Wine
Last wooter to woot: hogfatt

CT Updating, please wait....

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mudman2007 wrote:Why does Woot never offer dessert wines from Israel?

sticks of butter make everything better http://www.manischewitzwine.com/recipes/darknessegyptsevenlayercake.htm

WineDavid was my Boss!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mschauber wrote:Off topic, but that ant is awful, I'm now itching all over

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
ThunderThighs wrote:

Even though I have arachnophobia, this image I like ;) It's weird. I have no problem picking human brains up off the street, but the site of bug on my computer screen keeps me scratching for hours

But about this offer... I'd love to buy it, but there's no way I can get through 750ml. A 375ml or 500ml, like the 2008 Kent Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte from the 1/17/2012 wine.woot, would make more sense for me, since at most it would be two of us.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

jbol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbol
bethmbg wrote:I was once told at a tasting that port had the same shelf life as a regular bottle of red wine once it's been opened. Any truth to that? It would be hard to finish a bottle of dessert wine in one evening without a lot of friends...

Like a port etc. that 18.5% alc level pickles anything nasty trying to grow in it - it will keep

danila

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danila
jbol wrote:Like a port etc. that 18.5% alc level pickles anything nasty trying to grow in it - it will keep

Tawny ports will still taste good a couple weeks after being opened. Vintage and late-bottled vintage (LBV) which are kept for a shorter time in much larger barrels and then aged in the bottle should be consumed within 24-48 hours. Preferably less than 24 hours. Even though they both have the same amount of alcohol by volume, 20%. The difference is that the tawny ports are already oxidized, hence the brownish color. Vintage and LBV ports are not.

Of course, you can still drink a vintage port a week after opening it. It just won't taste as good.

Unfortunately, I don't know this particular wine so I don't know if it will still taste good after it's been open more than a day or two. Most likely it will start to taste worse. However, if I had a bottle (unfortunately, I can't order as I live in Massachusetts), I'd probably have some friends over and drink it in one sitting just to be safe. ;-)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Google is doing a special for us again.

Just go to their Search page and click on the Play icon.

Oh, and ....

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
bethmbg wrote:I was once told at a tasting that port had the same shelf life as a regular bottle of red wine once it's been opened. Any truth to that? It would be hard to finish a bottle of dessert wine in one evening without a lot of friends...

A tiny amount. Port doesn't "sour" (if you'll pardon the term) nearly as quickly, I've enjoyed ports literally weeks after opening. HOWEVER, there is an initial taste difference from the oxidation that occurs at about the same initial rate as, say, a good cab; so days 1-2, improvement, days 3-4, decline. The decline just doesn't hit bottom for a long, long time (remember, there is still a lot of residual sugar in dessert wines, as well as more alcohol, so the flavor may change but it takes longer to "go bad").

I made a plum/syrah port in fall, it's in bulk ageing right now, but I had a sample bottle at transfer that was open for about two months, and the last bit was still pretty good.

Hope that helps! And I am SO jealous of anyone who gets this. My cellar is full, but petite syrah is an excellent dessert wine grape...

Supersugar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Supersugar

Be jealous! :P

I've still yet to pull the trigger on any of the serious wine or incredibly tempting food that Wine.woot so frequently offers up, but one peep about "dessert wine" and my Paypal account is all yours. Two 750 bottles of it too! ... I'll labrat without even being asked. :D

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Alas Virginia, there is no port-style wine for you

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Last wooter to woot: North316

In for two. Can't pass up a dessert wine and I always get mad later when I only get one.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
texacaliali wrote:sticks of butter make everything better http://www.manischewitzwine.com/recipes/darknessegyptsevenlayercake.htm

That stuff is the devil. BLAH!.

I however awoke from my night of slumber at 1AM MST to grab an order of the Bella.

Thanks Woot.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
North316 wrote:Current numbers (updated each minute)
Last wooter to woot: North316

In for two. Can't pass up a dessert wine and I always get mad later when I only get one.

I was on the fence for 1 or 2. and only got 1. Main reason is I have no room. I already have 4 bottles that are at other peoples houses in their cellers and now I have 2 more on the way.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

I just had to jump on this deal, 750ml bottles!! I'm in like matt flynn.

TheWidget

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheWidget

I can't pass up a dessert wine, plus this is my anniversary month so I got free shipping. I'm also having a Port tasting part soon and I'll add this to the offerings.

Last wooter to woot: TheWidget

North316

TheWidget wrote:I can't pass up a dessert wine, plus this is my anniversary month so I got free shipping. I'm also having a Port tasting part soon and I'll add this to the offerings.

Last wooter to woot: TheWidget

mmm a port tasting.

My CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

0 truth...the life may vary depending on the port but it's certainly longer than 0-30 hours (the rough window for red wines).

signed.

tammy8395

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tammy8395

I would be more than happy to let you store some at my house! ;)

sunshinemountainvineyard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunshinemountainvineyard

Dessert wines are the best! They pair best with sweets and tons of variety of food! Looking forward to ready more about fine wines from you guys!

barrawinegirl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages barrawinegirl

The high alcohol content in Port will help you a bit with the wine being opened. However, I would suggest a week tops and put it in the fridge, this will help protect against oxidation as well. Also, invest in a couple of cans of inert gas (they sell them on-line and at wine shops), they will blanket the wine and help preserve it's freshness. Or you could just drink it up!

barrawinegirl

c2h5oh wrote:I wonder how this compares to Zinfandel Ports. It'd be great if somebody had both this and a Terra D'oro's Zin Port - that's one has a good balance of price/taste for me and is available locally.

This Port is darker, richer and deeper in its concentration of flavors. More blue fruit and mocha notes.

barrawinegirl

texacaliali wrote:very informative Vintners Voicemail left by the winemaker today, I always learn something new from these. Thanks Jason!

Glad it helped! This is such a cool wine, killer with flourless chocolate cake Jason-

barrawinegirl

jimjacks66 wrote:$28 per bottle on the winery's website. Nice discount here on woot at $20 per bottle (before shipping). Curious what the winery thinks as to the drinking window question?

This wine is built for the long haul. With the high alcohol level and great tannic structure of Petite Sirah, you can open one of these beauties in 10 years (but why don't you try one tonight with a significant other?)

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Finally something I want and with an alcohol content that can make it east in winter.

But no Maryland. Sigh.

barrawinegirl

SmilingBoognish wrote:750ml bottles of dessert wine...now that's a party!

Very intriguing offering, I'm tempted but we rarely open dessert wine. Is it safe to assume this stuff can lay down for many years?

This wine is built for the long haul! With the great tannic structure of Petite Sirah and the higher alcohol content, you can store a case or two of this over the next 10 years easy. Drink up!

North316

barrawinegirl wrote:This wine is built for the long haul. With the high alcohol level and great tannic structure of Petite Sirah, you can open one of these beauties in 10 years (but why don't you try one tonight with a significant other?)

Because it will be 2-3 weeks before we get them!

Will this change much over the 10 years or just hold true to it's current form? It will probably start to fall off after that point?

My CT

barrawinegirl

North316 wrote:Because it will be 2-3 weeks before we get them!

Will this change much over the 10 years or just hold true to it's current form? It will probably start to fall off after that point?

It will easily hold its quality for the 10 years and longer.

Talazen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Talazen

Just a quick question... can i gift this to a friend who lives in germany?