WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: "Single vineyard" or "vineyard designate" wines: does that matter to you?
  • 5.4% - Yes, it's almost always a sure sign of quality 7
  • 23.3% - Yes, but it's just one piece of evidence I consider 30
  • 22.5% - No, it's not a key point for me 29
  • 48.8% - No, I couldn't care less 63
129 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rpm

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rpm

In Europe, many single vineyard wines are superior and are bottled as such, but not all vineyards are capable of producing superior wines.

The same thing is true in California (and elsewhere, no doubt). There are a few vineyards that have consistently produced great red and white wines: the original Inglenook and Beaulieu vineyards, Martha's vineyard which Heitz did so well with, the Stags Leap vineyard Warren Winarski uses, Cathy Corison's Kronos vineyard (all in Napa Valley), the Ridge Montebello vineyard on the Peninsula.

In many cases, however, in California, one can make superior wines by blending lots of grapes from blocs different vineyards.

So, just because a wine is a single vineyard designate, does not mean it's a superior wine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Depends on the vineyard.

I enjoy tasting single vineyard wines side by side when I'm out tasting to get a sense of terroir. However, RPM (as usual) is very correct in saying that most wines are best when blended.
In California, I tend to recognize AVA's more so than individual vineyards. One has a pretty good idea of what to expect when opening a Rutherford Cab or Rockpile Zin, for example.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Yes, I agree with RPM. The recent movement to push for single vineyard wines seemingly everywhere, seems like just a way to push prices up by driving up scarcity and not necessarily increasing the quality.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

agreed, but I will say that I really enjoy a horizontal (is that the term?) tasting of different vineyards of the same varietal made by the same winemaker from the same year.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)