+ Add a Comment

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
sanity wrote:We usually have a (loose) theme and bring wine - some people by it here (Total wine, Trader Joe's are nearby) some people pack it.

Remember, we have 6 bottles to taste from trading our wine at the awards dinner.

Do we want a theme, or everyone bring a favorite, and we'll taste from light to heavy?

I vote for bring a favorite! Do you think if I pack a bottle or 2, it will get bottle shock?

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
mommadeb1 wrote:I vote for bring a favorite! Do you think if I pack a bottle or 2, it will get bottle shock?

imho, depends upon the bottle. Some on this board poo poo bottle shock, some make sure they provide enough time before opening a bottle to avoid experiencing bottle shock.

If you're bringing a wine that has more sediment, you'll want to get it upright as soon as possible, and keep it cool. It may be a hassle to go out and buy wine here.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:imho, depends upon the bottle. Some on this board poo poo bottle shock, some make sure they provide enough time before opening a bottle to avoid experiencing bottle shock.

If you're bringing a wine that has more sediment, you'll want to get it upright as soon as possible, and keep it cool. It may be a hassle to go out and buy wine here.

any requests or favorites I should bring?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:I vote for bring a favorite! Do you think if I pack a bottle or 2, it will get bottle shock?

IMO, it depends on the wine/varietal. To me, Pinot has more issues with bs than other varietals. But some seem to be fine (note the Mollydooker Shake) and not have a bs problem.

As Sanity noted, you probably don't want to bring a wine with a lot of sediment in it. It probably would need more than 3 days to settle.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

mommadeb and HAK, I'll bring a case shipping container for both of you. sanity (tiger?), do I need to bring a 1/2 case shipping box as well?

mommadeb1

Imagine4vr wrote:mommadeb and HAK, I'll bring a case shipping container for both of you. sanity (tiger?), do I need to bring a 1/2 case shipping box as well?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! one less thing for me to check (would love to see the airlines when they ask whats in the box and I say nothing) You are a lifesaver!!!!

mommadeb1

ok, I am thinking it might be easier for me to buy something at Trader Joes when I get there.... so if you have a preference, let me know... seeing how I don't have a TJ here, I have no idea what they have now....

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:ok, I am thinking it might be easier for me to buy something at Trader Joes when I get there.... so if you have a preference, let me know... seeing how I don't have a TJ here, I have no idea what they have now....

Have you been to a Total Wine?

Much better selection than TJ's. Plus, you can shop there online!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Have you been to a Total Wine?

Much better selection than TJ's. Plus, you can shop there online!

oh yes we have total wine here... give me your votes and I will try to make everyone happy and buy some good stuff!

sanity

mommadeb1 wrote:oh yes we have total wine here... give me your votes and I will try to make everyone happy and buy some good stuff!

Part of the fun is in the surprise. And I'm sure we'll love it. Or not. And if it's really bad, there will be no end to the teasing! (;

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:Part of the fun is in the surprise. And I'm sure we'll love it. Or not. And if it's really bad, there will be no end to the teasing! (;

thats what I am afraid of Ha ha ha!!! bad enough being the "newbie", let alone bringing crappy wine!! oh the shame!!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:thats what I am afraid of Ha ha ha!!! bad enough being the "newbie", let alone bringing crappy wine!! oh the shame!!

Normally we just line them up on the counter and you can't tell who brought what, but in your case we'll set it aside so we can judge you

CT

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:Normally we just line them up on the counter and you can't tell who brought what, but in your case we'll set it aside so we can judge you

thanks... I feel so loved!!

sanity

sukeiasa wrote:as of now, +1 (virge) is confirmed... guests from overseas are being usual procrastinators... if my numbers change, i will be sure to bring enough food to compensate...

No need to bring extra food, I've got it covered. Just let me know when you find out how many extra.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So since hubby will be working all weekend it looks like I'm a definite. However, I think I'm out for the Valley of Fire since I will be driving there and driving back on Monday.

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
CAGrl wrote:So since hubby will be working all weekend it looks like I'm a definite. However, I think I'm out for the Valley of Fire since I will be driving there and driving back on Monday.

Woohoo!!

Imagine4vr

This picture was just too awesome to pass up and the timing is right.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
sanity wrote:No need to bring extra food, I've got it covered. Just let me know when you find out how many extra.

I refuse to let you foot the bill for the evening. Please let me send you something or bring you some $ to help cover expenses.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:I refuse to let you foot the bill for the evening. Please let me send you something or bring you some $ to help cover expenses.

count me in for not letting Sanity cover the whole cost!! We will help/contribute also!!

Imagine4vr

cheron98 wrote:I refuse to let you foot the bill for the evening. Please let me send you something or bring you some $ to help cover expenses.

mommadeb1 wrote:count me in for not letting Sanity cover the whole cost!! We will help/contribute also!!

Agreed!

sanity

mommadeb1 wrote:count me in for not letting Sanity cover the whole cost!! We will help/contribute also!!

Imagine4vr wrote:Agreed!

Thank you, we'll work it out when you get here.
sanity's fun friends will be here to help with set up and food prep, so y'all can get in some extra gambling, or napping.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:Thank you, we'll work it out when you get here.
sanity's fun friends will be here to help with set up and food prep, so y'all can get in some extra gambling, or napping.

sounds good to me!

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

Sanity,

Can I ship the bottle of alcohol I want to bring for Saturday night directly to you? If so, please pm me your address again. Thanks.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa

ok, my bottles for saturday night should be shipped by tuesday and get there probably saturday? do you think 4 days of ground transit is ok, or should i up it to 2 day air?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

Hey Sparky, I know how you can make more room in your wine locker ;)

sanity

sukeiasa wrote:ok, my bottles for saturday night should be shipped by tuesday and get there probably saturday? do you think 4 days of ground transit is ok, or should i up it to 2 day air?

Since Saturday availability is not reliable at my box location temporarily, I would do 2 day shipping.

sanity

mewalk707 wrote:Hey Sparky, I know how you can make more room in your wine locker ;)

yes, me too!

sukeiasa

done. hdh will ship on monday, so should get there wednesday or thursday? i hope these will be ready to drink...

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:Hey Sparky, I know how you can make more room in your wine locker ;)

Bringing the 2 or 3 bottles left of yours won't make that much room.

MarkDaSpark

Days to go!!!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I still need to figure out what bottle I should bring for the party. I should be able to diaper something up and stick it in my suitcase. Just need to decide what.
So many to choose from....

I'm leaning towards picking something that is a non-standard varietal. Maybe some more people can use these to add to their Century Club list:
Whites: Kerner & Romorantin
Reds: Mencía, Gaglioppo, or Fumin (probably needs a few more years though)

Other than that, I have no idea what to choose yet. If there's any particular themes, types, etc, etc, that anyone would like to see added to the lineup I'll see what else I have in my cellar. Or I'll just pick something else later when I look at the CT list again.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Days to go!!!!

Yippie!!

CAGrl

So what time is everyone getting int? I'm getting in Friday afternoon and was wondering what the plan was. So excited for my first Vegas gathering!

sanity

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I still need to figure out what bottle I should bring for the party. .....
So many to choose from....

I'm leaning towards picking something that is a non-standard varietal. Maybe some more people can use these to add to their Century Club list:
Whites: Kerner & Romorantin
Reds: Mencía, Gaglioppo, or Fumin (probably needs a few more years though)

My vote is for either of the whites; they sound interesting. The Fumin I've had, and agree, maybe it needs to be kept longer, though it was very tasty when I ha it last year.

sanity

CAGrl wrote:So what time is everyone getting int? I'm getting in Friday afternoon and was wondering what the plan was. So excited for my first Vegas gathering!

Looking forward to meeting you!
I work on Friday, but sometimes we get together Friday evening. Also, check the first post for updated activities and times.

mommadeb1

CAGrl wrote:So what time is everyone getting int? I'm getting in Friday afternoon and was wondering what the plan was. So excited for my first Vegas gathering!

I will check when we get in on friday... I think it is around noon.. I am also excited for our first gathering also!!

CAGrl

mommadeb1 wrote:I will check when we get in on friday... I think it is around noon.. I am also excited for our first gathering also!!

Sent you a pm.

Imagine4vr

I'm planning on leaving Phx by 9am - should be arriving around 2-3 depending on traffic. I'd be up for meeting for dinner somewhere if you like.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

If I'm driving, probably not arriving until at least 8pm, although depends when I leave. If a nice last minute flight deal pops up I may take that.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

CAGrl

Imagine4vr wrote:I'm planning on leaving Phx by 9am - should be arriving around 2-3 depending on traffic. I'd be up for meeting for dinner somewhere if you like.

That'll work. Where are you staying?