chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

(This post has been edited from it's original version to reflect the latest information)

Hoping to get together with some fellow wooters to enjoy a wine dinner with Scott & Jana Harvey and attend a wine & beer festival the following evening.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
EVENT 1: Winemaker's Dinner w/ Scott & Jana Harvey at the Wooster Inn, 801 East Wayne Ave. Wooster, OH 44691 ph: 330-263-2660
EVENT 2: Wooster Wine & Beer Festival at the Shisler Conference Center on the OARDC campus of OSU, 1680 Madison Ave. Wooster, OH 44691 ph: 330-263-5501
DATE: Friday April 27th, Saturday April 28th
TIME: Friday dinner 7:00pm, Saturday festival 6:30-10:30pm
COST: Dinner $65 per person + tax & gratuity. Festival $40 per person.
TICKETS: Reservations for the wine dinner can be purchased by calling the Wooster Inn at 330-263-2660.

UPDATED: Tickets for the Wine & Beer Festival can be ordered online HERE.
You can also click the links on the page to view info about the wines/beers that will be featured and silent auction items.

When making your dinner reservations, be sure to mention that you are with "wine woot" so that we will be seated together. The notation on the reservation list is actually "ww" so if you speak to someone who seems unsure about the whole "wine woot" thing, tell them it's marked with a "ww".

Send me a PM or respond in this thread when you've made your dinner reservations and I'll add an asterisk next to your name on the list. Also, if you can let me know if you're planning to attend the wine/beer festival the next day, I'll add a + for those planning to go and a - for those who are not.

I would hold off on buying the tickets for the wine & beer festival until they have the website updated with this year's information as mentioned below.

Note that the festival website is still showing information from 2011. I've been told that the website will be updated for this year's festival within the next week or so. Also note that you can purchase tickets to both the dinner and festival for $120 but that includes a $15 premium over the individual prices of $65 and $40. I asked about this and was told that the $120 price includes an extra donation for the Wayne Center for the Arts. I plan to purchase my tickets separately to avoid the additional $15, since the proceeds from the festival already go to the Wayne Center.

LODGING: Unfortunately, the Wooster Inn is already booked up for that weekend but here are a few nearby hotels to consider;

Hilton Garden Inn

Hampton Inn

Days Inn

ATTENDEES:
1. chipgreen (* +)
2. chipgreen+1(* +)
3. North316 (* -)
4. North316+1 (* -)
5. laguar1 (* -)
6. laguar1+1 (* -)
7. bahwm (* -)
8. ddeuddeg (* -)
9. tryzub (* ?)
10. tryzub+1 (* ?)

MAYBES:
1. keithnowak7
2. tryzub+2
3. tryzub+3
4. bigbear83
5. otisskavier
6. otisskavier+1

REGRETS:
North316+2
North316+3
cheron98
sdilullo
sdilullo+1
tiger7610
conroo
conroo+1
boatman72
boatman72+1
boatman72+2

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:


1 - Swiss Heritage Winery
6011 Old Rt. 39 NW, Dover, OH 44622
330-343-3884/ Website

2 - Breitenbach Wine Cellars
5934 Old Rt. 39 NW, Dover, OH 44622
800-THE-WINE/Website

3 - Silver Moon Winery
4915 Old Rt. 39 NW, Dover, OH 44622
330-602-6040/Website

4 - School House Winery
455 Schneiders Crossing Rd. NW, Dover, OH
330-602-9463/Website

5 - Gervasi Vineyard & Italian Bistro
1700 55th St. NE, Canton, OH 44721
330-497-1000/Website

6 - Red Horse Winery
5326 Fairland Rd., Barberton, OH 44203
330-807-8600/Website

7 - Winery at Wolf Creek
2637 S. Cleveland Massillon Rd., Norton, OH
330-666-9285/Website

8 - Sarah’s Vineyard
1204 W. Steels Corners Rd., Cuyahoga Falls
330-929-8057/Website

We could meet up at Sarah's and carpool down to Dover, eventually working our way back to Sarah's as the last stop.

Thoughts?



Edit: Ignore the above information, it was from the original post. I am keeping the winery information for my own personal information.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

(Outdated info deleted)

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I know we have discussed before that Jana Harvey is originally from the area, I wonder if Scott has any recommendations or is friends with any of the wineries in the area? Either you or I could send him an email and find out.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I know we have discussed before that Jana Harvey is originally from the area, I wonder if Scott has any recommendations or is friends with any of the wineries in the area? Either you or I could send him an email and find out.



(deleted)

I think I still have Jana's email from an exchange about a year ago. I'll shoot her a line and see what she says.

keithnowak7


quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I am in the central-Ohio region now, but have family, friends, and most importantly--places to stay--in the area. I was so excited to hear about a woot gathering. However, I have to really shun the idea of visiting local wineries.

I have yet to have a red wine from Ohio that I enjoyed. I have heard many people to tell me to try this and that, but they are all overly-sweet "wino" wines. Not even dessert wines. I would love to bring up some woot offerings and chat with fellow wooters, but am less inclined to come visit sub-par wineries.

If nothing else, stay far far far FAR away from Wolf-Creek in Norton. By winery, they mean "we make some swill, but we encourage you to bring your own (I believe they charge corkage) and hang out on our patio, full of other people who are drinking our crap to get drunk, or are regretting coming here.)

That said, I am curious to hear Jana's input, and what the schedule ultimately is.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
keithnowak7 wrote:I am in the central-Ohio region now, but have family, friends, and most importantly--places to stay--in the area. I was so excited to hear about a woot gathering. However, I have to really shun the idea of visiting local wineries.

I have yet to have a red wine from Ohio that I enjoyed. I have heard many people to tell me to try this and that, but they are all overly-sweet "wino" wines. Not even dessert wines. I would love to bring up some woot offerings and chat with fellow wooters, but am less inclined to come visit sub-par wineries.



Hi Keith, don't know if you saw my original reply but I edited it out because it was all about the wineries and such. I do hope that you will be able to join us for the "new & improved" get-together!

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Bump. Come on Ohioan's, man up.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

(Mostly info about the dinner and festival which can now be found in the OP)

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:I heard back from Jana. She said that she has never been to any of the OH wineries because she wasn't really into wine yet when she lived here, but what are the odds... her and Scott will be hosting a wine dinner at the Wooster Inn on Friday, April 27th. Details here.

That is also the eve of the annual Wooster Wine & Beer Festival which will feature various wines and beers "from around the world" according to the information here..

The wine festival website has not yet been updated from last year but you can get an idea of what it will be like from looking at the page for last year's festival.

I made a couple phone calls to the people who are organizing the festival and they are apparently still ironing out the details but took my email address and said they will send some info as soon as it's available.

So... I'm thinking that we should go for a 2-day event with the dinner and festival instead of touring wineries. I might even be willing to reserve a room at the Wooster Inn so that we could get together after the dinner and share some woot wines.

Maybe we should start a new interest thread advertising an Ohio get-together featuring a Scott & Jana Harvey wine dinner, that should draw additional interest and we can leave off the NE part to encourage wooters from around the state to join in.



Now that's an interesting idea. I wonder how many people that place hold's and how early we would need to reserve spots for the dinner. The fact that it is on a Friday could make it more difficult, but should still be feasible.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Now that's an interesting idea. I wonder how many people that place hold's and how early we would need to reserve spots for the dinner. The fact that it is on a Friday could make it more difficult, but should still be feasible.



I called them up and so far they have taken 6 reservations with a total capacity of 70-75 so we're in good shape in that regard. Unfortunately there is "no room at the Inn"! She said that the trustees are staying in town that night so they are booked up solid but gave me phone numbers for 3 other local hotels.

If you're anticipating driving back & forth from Stow, it's about an hour drive each way.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:I heard back from Jana. She said that she has never been to any of the OH wineries because she wasn't really into wine yet when she lived here, but what are the odds... her and Scott will be hosting a wine dinner at the Wooster Inn on Friday, April 27th. Details here.

That is also the eve of the annual Wooster Wine & Beer Festival which will feature various wines and beers "from around the world" according to the information here.(scroll down the page to Wine Events & Specials)

The wine festival website has not yet been updated from last year but you can get an idea of what it will be like from looking at the page for last year's festival.

I made a couple phone calls to the people who are organizing the festival and they are apparently still ironing out the details but took my email address and said they will send some info as soon as it's available.

So... I'm thinking that we should go for a 2-day event with the dinner and festival instead of touring wineries. I might even be willing to reserve a room at the Wooster Inn so that we could get together after the dinner and share some woot wines.

Maybe we should start a new interest thread advertising an Ohio get-together featuring a Scott & Jana Harvey wine dinner, that should draw additional interest and we can leave off the NE part to encourage wooters from around the state to join in.


ddeuddeg & I drove from Buffalo to a wine dinner hosted by Scott & Jana a couple of years ago at the Wooster Inn. It was a lovely evening and the food and wine pairings were excellent. They have a very talented chef there. Unfortunately, there was no room at The Inn that night either. So, we stayed at the Hampton Inn not far away. ddeuddeg & I might be talked into making the drive. It would also give us a chance to meet a few more wooters!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I got to see what my exam schedule is, but I will keep an eye on this thread as well. It would be cool, but if its on a friday I can only do that if classes are over by then.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:***snip***
What do you think about the idea of starting a new interest thread? If we pimp the Scott Harvey name in the subject line, I think we will get a number of responses.


Since you already have this thread started, why not just change the title and edit the first post to include all of the details.That way everybody know where to look for the information. I usually make sure I do updates on Sunday so that cj has all of the updates to post in her weekly schedule. You may use the standard format that I used for our last Buffalo gathering:
first post

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
tiger7610 wrote:I got to see what my exam schedule is, but I will keep an eye on this thread as well. It would be cool, but if its on a friday I can only do that if classes are over by then.



Hi Tiger, thanks for your interest! They don't list the time for the dinner but one of the other dinners listed starts at 7pm so I'd assume this will probably start at 7pm also. Hope you can make it!

EDIT: I called them back and the guy I spoke with said that 7pm is in fact the normal start time for their Friday wine dinners.
EDITx2: you could also consider coming up for just the wine & beer festival on Saturday if you can't make the dinner

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:Since you already have this thread started, why not just change the title and edit the first post to include all of the details.That way everybody know where to look for the information. I usually make sure I do updates on Sunday so that cj has all of the updates to post in her weekly schedule. You may use the standard format that I used for our last Buffalo gathering:
first post



Hi bahwm, thanks for your interest and the suggestions! I didn't know that I could change the title but I will try. That would be great if you can make the trip again.

Is cj aka Cheron98? Should I contact her directly to add this interest thread to the list that MarkDaSpark posts? I was going to send him a PM...

laguar1


quality posts: 2 Private Messages laguar1

Great suggestion Chipgreen on checking with Jana. The wife and I are in on a dinner with the Harvey's. I look forward to a Ohio woot gathering.

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
chipgreen wrote:Hi bahwm, thanks for your interest and the suggestions! I didn't know that I could change the title but I will try. That would be great if you can make the trip again.

Is cj aka Cheron98? Should I contact her directly to add this interest thread to the list that MarkDaSpark posts? I was going to send him a PM...



cj and cheron98 are 2 different people, so I would either pm cj directly or pm Mark?

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
laguar1 wrote:Great suggestion Chipgreen on checking with Jana. The wife and I are in on a dinner with the Harvey's. I look forward to a Ohio woot gathering.



Sweet! Looking forward to meeting you both.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:Hi bahwm, thanks for your interest and the suggestions! I didn't know that I could change the title but I will try. That would be great if you can make the trip again.

Is cj aka Cheron98? Should I contact her directly to add this interest thread to the list that MarkDaSpark posts? I was going to send him a PM...


Hey, Chip! Just go back to your first post, click edit and IIRC, you will find the title above the post box. cj is cjsiege. Once you set a date, she'll pick it up and post a link in the calendar. If you want to be sure that she sees it, send her a PM.

ddeuddeg is out at a meeting tonight. We'll talk about it and see what we can do. Friday afternoon/evening is a tough tight drive after work, but by the end of April, we shouldn't be worrying about any snow. We'll keep an eye on this thread.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:Hey, Chip! Just go back to your first post, click edit and IIRC, you will find the title above the post box. cj is cjsiege. Once you set a date, she'll pick it up and post a link in the calendar. If you want to be sure that she sees it, send her a PM.

ddeuddeg is out at a meeting tonight. We'll talk about it and see what we can do. Friday afternoon/evening is a tough tight drive after work, but by the end of April, we shouldn't be worrying about any snow. We'll keep an eye on this thread.



I've updated the title and the OP, thanks again! Do I need to put the date in the title or does it matter as long as I contact cj?

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Chip, include the date in the title. Also, something weird happens when one uses "&" in the title and the amp, amp shows up repeatedly every time you edit. I've had it to me a number of times.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:Chip, include the date in the title. Also, something weird happens when one uses "&" in the title and the amp, amp shows up repeatedly every time you edit. I've had it to me a number of times.



Thanks, I noticed that and fixed it. Will add the date as well.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

bump

tryzub


quality posts: 5 Private Messages tryzub

This sounds like a good reason to have some good drink with like-wineded individuals. Put me+1 down as a maybe.

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
chipgreen wrote:(This post has been edited from it's original version to reflect the latest information)

Hoping to get together with some fellow wooters to enjoy a wine dinner with Scott & Jana Harvey and attend a wine & beer festival the following evening.

Hilton Garden Inn

Hampton Inn

Days Inn

ATTENDEES:
1. chipgreen
2. chipgreen +1
3. North316
4. North316 +1
5. laguar1
6. laguar1 +1

MAYBES:
1. North316 +2
2. North316 +3
3. keithnowak7
4. bahwm
5. ddeuddeg
6. tiger7610

REGRETS:



Wow, glad I stumbled on this. I live in Brunswick and used to work in Orrville. I've wanted to meet Scott & Jana. I believe Jana may have grown up in Cleveland Heights or Shaker Height. I emailed my son, the other wine drinker in the family, to see if he and his other half are interested. Will get back.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

Thanks for the interest, tryzub and boatman72! I added you both to the maybe list.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

Speaking of Orrville....

For anyone who might be planning to stay overnight to attend both the dinner and festival, here's an idea for something to do on Saturday afternoon (since the festival doesn't start until 6:30pm)... Smucker's HQ is in nearby Orrville and they have a gift shop & cafe that you can visit between the hours of 9:00-6:00.

JM Smucker Co. Store & Cafe

keithnowak7


quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

Thanks for sending out an update. I will check out scheduling and so forth. Sounds like a good time.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
keithnowak7 wrote:Thanks for sending out an update. I will check out scheduling and so forth. Sounds like a good time.



Hope you can make it, Keith! Do you anticipate that you would be bringing anyone along with you?

Would be nice if we could get some more confirmed attendees over the weekend, as I am planning to call the Wooster Inn on Monday or Tuesday to ask them if we can get seated as a group and would like to be able to give them a somewhat accurate estimation of the numbers.

The nice thing about it is that we don't need any specific number of people to go, we can all buy our tickets to the dinner and/or festival on our own. I did ask about a group discount but was denied.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:Hope you can make it, Keith! Do you anticipate that you would be bringing anyone along with you?

Would be nice if we could get some more confirmed attendees over the weekend, as I am planning to call the Wooster Inn on Monday or Tuesday to ask them if we can get seated as a group and would like to be able to give them a somewhat accurate estimation of the numbers.

The nice thing about it is that we don't need any specific number of people to go, we can all buy our tickets to the dinner and/or festival on our own. I did ask about a group discount but was denied.


If you can get us seated as a group, count us (bahwm and me) in for sure. We're pretty much leaning in that direction in any case. The last Scott Harvey dinner there was definitely worth the drive from Buffalo. We'll have to head home on Saturday, however, so we'll just be in for the Friday night dinner. Sorry to miss the rest of the events, though. Sounds like a good time.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:If you can get us seated as a group, count us (bahwm and me) in for sure. We're pretty much leaning in that direction in any case. The last Scott Harvey dinner there was definitely worth the drive from Buffalo. We'll have to head home on Saturday, however, so we'll just be in for the Friday night dinner. Sorry to miss the rest of the events, though. Sounds like a good time.



Do you remember how big the tables were and if there was more than one size? I don't see why they couldn't seat us together if we let them know we're from wine.woot when we make our reservations.

I ordered 30 peel/stick name tags for us with the wine.woot logo on them. Hopefully they will let me put them at the check-in area so that everyone can grab one when they arrive.

Thanks for checking in, I will put you and bahwm on the confirmed list.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:Do you remember how big the tables were and if there was more than one size? I don't see why they couldn't seat us together if we let them know we're from wine.woot when we make our reservations.

I ordered 30 peel/stick name tags for us with the wine.woot logo on them. Hopefully they will let me put them at the check-in area so that everyone can grab one when they arrive.

Thanks for checking in, I will put you and bahwm on the confirmed list.

It seems to me that table size varied a bit, depending on location in the room. Bahwm thinks we were at a table for 8. That would be a good question to ask when you call them.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:It seems to me that table size varied a bit, depending on location in the room. Bahwm thinks we were at a table for 8. That would be a good question to ask when you call them.



I will do that. I figured they were probably about that size so we will likely need 2 tables.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Please will you all say nicely to Scott and Jana that they're almost at Michigan, so it they might as well go there and grow some more Riesling!

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
richardhod wrote:Please will you all say nicely to Scott and Jana that they're almost at Michigan, so it they might as well go there and grow some more Riesling!



Are they not planning to produce anymore Rieslings? They do still have the 2009 Jana Mendocino Old Vine Riesling available on their website.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
chipgreen wrote:Are they not planning to produce anymore Rieslings? They do still have the 2009 Jana Mendocino Old Vine Riesling available on their website.



I think he's referring to the Jana Michigan Riesling from 2009, made in conjunction with 45 North winery from the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan. Michigan grapes, California winemaker, German background - Riesling fit for a king

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

When do you need to know by? I am leaning towards going, but cannot confirm right at this moment...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
chipgreen wrote:Are they not planning to produce anymore Rieslings? They do still have the 2009 Jana Mendocino Old Vine Riesling available on their website.



As Cheron said the Jana old Vine Riesling, while still great, isn't a patch on the Michigan one from 2007! I thought it was Napa.. they found Mendocino grapes now? At least the weather's closer to the German weather you want!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
richardhod wrote:As Cheron said the Jana old Vine Riesling, while still great, isn't a patch on the Michigan one from 2007! I thought it was Napa.. they found Mendocino grapes now? At least the weather's closer to the German weather you want!

The website lists only the Mendocino one, but they also have produced Riesling from Napa, as well as from the Leelanau Peninsula, my personal favorite. Must be sold out of those. Pity.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook