WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you prefer to share a bottle with the group or savor it among one or two special people?
  • 25.7% - Sharing is caring! The more the merrier, just be sure to bring a bottle to share yourself. 83
  • 19.8% - Not to be a jerk, but I spend a not-insignificant amount of money on my wine and I like stuff a little more high-end than my friends, so I tend to keep it to myself. 64
  • 15.8% - I drink alone. Yeah, with nobody else. 51
  • 38.7% - Either one as long as the wine’s good. 125
323 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I don't like wasting good wine on people who don't appreciate it.

However, I like to introduce people to wine and sometimes it doesn't take.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

The group I most like to share with consists of Me, myself and I.

Old Skool baby.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
deckerbrian wrote:I don't like wasting good wine on people who don't appreciate it.

However, I like to introduce people to wine and sometimes it doesn't take.

Agreed. I took some of The Crusher orange wine to my wife's family for New Years and was excited to share with them something which I was thought was very unique. No one seemed to share much interest in it, and her sister, the one who I really wanted to try it (she enjoys wine more than the rest), had already opened up a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Live and learn I guess. Thankfully no one wanted to try the KR Esoterica Forte I brought along so I brought it home and popped it open the next day.

I live a normal life, so most of my woot purchases are in the $10-15 per bottle bottle range, with the occasional $20-25 purchase. The lower ones I will share without a second though, but there are a few things will only be enjoyed by the wife I, including the Ty Caton's when they come of age and the Jana Cathedral.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Depends on the bottle. I suppose I would break it down into three categories of wine:

1) House wines - wines that I like and I feel to be varietally correct and/or good, and are generally under $15. These I am happy to share with anybody, or just open for SWMBO and myself.

2) Nice wines - wines I like that are doing something more interesting than the house wines or that are harder to replenish. Generally from $15-$50. Things like Corison's non-Kronos or the Jana Cathedral that have been on woot are good examples. These I am happy to share with friends who I think will appreciate them over the house varieties - I have a few close friends who are 'into' wine, though probably not as much as SWMBO and I are; I'm comfortable opening these for them. Sometimes bottles in this category get opened for non-wine-people if we're hosting a dinner party and we think they would go particularly well with whatever we're serving. Usually though, these end up being shared only between SWMBO and myself.

3) Expensive/Rare/Mailing List/older wines - Over $50, or hard to get. Basically, for SWMBO and I, these are Aubert, Sea Smoke,(some) Turley, Saxum, and Linne Calodo (which didn't used to be mailing-list exclusive, but I think it is now, though I'm not on their list and am just drinking down the remainder we have in the cellar). Also bottles like Corison Kronos, older CdPs and Bordeaux, Krug/Dom Perignon and the like. We rarely end up opening these for just the two of us - my parents and grandparents are both very into wine, and these are usually opened during family gatherings/holidays (we don't have a large family, so generally get-togethers/gatherings only include those people that would be appreciative of the wines) when everyone can share them and we can hear everybody's thoughts on them. Talking about what we taste in each wine is often just as enjoyable as drinking these ones.

So... yeah. That's probably a bit-wordy and category-heavy, but is a pretty good approximation of how we generally do things.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jawlz wrote:Depends on the bottle. I suppose I would break it down into three categories of wine:

1) House wines - wines that I like and I feel to be varietally correct and/or good, and are generally under $15. These I am happy to share with anybody, or just open for SWMBO and myself.

2) Nice wines - wines I like that are doing something more interesting than the house wines or that are harder to replenish. Generally from $15-$50. Things like Corison's non-Kronos or the Jana Cathedral that have been on woot are good examples. These I am happy to share with friends who I think will appreciate them over the house varieties - I have a few close friends who are 'into' wine, though probably not as much as SWMBO and I are; I'm comfortable opening these for them. Sometimes bottles in this category get opened for non-wine-people if we're hosting a dinner party and we think they would go particularly well with whatever we're serving. Usually though, these end up being shared only between SWMBO and myself.

3) Expensive/Rare/Mailing List/older wines - Over $50, or hard to get. Basically, for SWMBO and I, these are Aubert, Sea Smoke,(some) Turley, Saxum, and Linne Calodo (which didn't used to be mailing-list exclusive, but I think it is now, though I'm not on their list and am just drinking down the remainder we have in the cellar). Also bottles like Corison Kronos, older CdPs and Bordeaux, Krug/Dom Perignon and the like. We rarely end up opening these for just the two of us - my parents and grandparents are both very into wine, and these are usually opened during family gatherings/holidays (we don't have a large family, so generally get-togethers/gatherings only include those people that would be appreciative of the wines) when everyone can share them and we can hear everybody's thoughts on them. Talking about what we taste in each wine is often just as enjoyable as drinking these ones.

So... yeah. That's probably a bit-wordy and category-heavy, but is a pretty good approximation of how we generally do things.

Pretty similar to mine, except I don't even a level 3 yet, nor could my wallet afford it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas

You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I am the only red wine drinker in my family and my wife's family for that matter, so at family dinners I always know that what ever I open I will be taking 1/2 of it home with me. I do have a couple of buddies who also enjoy a good bottle of wine so I have save the better bottles to split with them.

CT