mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Wow, how did I totally miss this thread?

I'm in for 4/21 somewhere in the WC.

I have a bunch of formerly good wine I could bring!

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
mother wrote:I have a bunch of formerly good wine I could bring!



By which you mean, I hope, formerly good, but now exceptional.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mikegberg wrote:By which you mean, I hope, formerly good, but now exceptional.



I think he's being humorous about all the wine in his garage that got cooked when his water heater decided to blow up on him.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I think he's being humorous about all the wine in his garage that got cooked when his water heater decided to blow up on him.



Indeed.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I have just secured an "I'll try to be there" from PetiteSirah and his +1

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

gijose


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

So what constitutes the "napa black tie affair" wines? I'm still tentatively in (with +1) - that's the day after an exam so depends on if anythings comes up for that next day!

NYC!

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
gijose wrote:So what constitutes the "napa black tie affair" wines? I'm still tentatively in (with +1) - that's the day after an exam so depends on if anythings comes up for that next day!



Well, I think most of us will be treating it really as just a general "Black Tie Affair" type thing, not relegating it to just Napa. As for what that consists of, it would pretty much be based on what you can (and want to) contributed in that regard. Some people will have access to and be able to afford higher priced wines than others. And sometimes there are even wines that one would consider "Black Tie" that isn't that way simply because of it's price tag.

I'm also thinking, especially once we have a better idea of how many people we'll have, that we may want to do one bottle per couple. For those single people, two people can combine to select a bottle if so desired. This way it's easier to get a higher quality of wine if you aren't having to bring two different bottles.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm also thinking, especially once we have a better idea of how many people we'll have, that we may want to do one bottle per couple. For those single people, two people can combine to select a bottle if so desired. This way it's easier to get a higher quality of wine if you aren't having to bring two different bottles.



I was thinking something along those lines, but I also want to make sure there's enough wine to go around. Maybe once we decide what varietals we're looking at, we can add a few mid-range or value wines to fill out the pack and give us an idea of what exactly it is we're paying for when we fork over that extra $20 or $40 or $100.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I'm settling into living in NY, but I have 4/21 marked in my calendar. Mark me in for now!

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
mikegberg wrote:What kind of friend would he be if he went to Puerto Rico and didn't have us all over for a rum tasting?



Uh oh - I should learn a bit more about rums while I'm down there. I know how to mix rum, simple syrup and lime to make a daquari (sp), but that's about the extent of my knowledge!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
mikegberg wrote:I just gave up a coveted spot on rpm's tour. I need consoling.
-snip-

REGRETS:
beefytaco
InFrom (? posted but never declared interest)



Mike, thanks for including us. It's a good bet we would have attended. It was great meeting everybody last time. But alas it is not to be. We ordered some concert tickets a while back, and it turns out they're for the 21st. So, move us to the "Regrets" column.

H

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

One month to go, and everything's still on track from our end, though we're still not sure where to hide the kids for the evening.

We should probably start nailing down the wine list, in case people need time to find the perfect bottle.

There's still room at our house for a few more guests, so feel free to sign up if you're interested and don't see your name on the list.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mikegberg wrote:One month to go, and everything's still on track from our end, though we're still not sure where to hide the kids for the evening.

We should probably start nailing down the wine list, in case people need time to find the perfect bottle.



Yeah, going figuring out what wines people will be bringing is a good thing. I need to get around to going through my cellar to come up with something that works.

mike, I still have on my list that you wanted one of the KR Vermelho Forte from one of the offers awhile back that I ordered. Do you still want it?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:mike, I still have on my list that you wanted one of the KR Vermelho Forte from one of the offers awhile back that I ordered. Do you still want it?



Why yes, I do. My CT lists it as pending delivery, and I'd hate to let my cellar down.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

question: how far is westchester county from nyc and is there easy access via public transportation??

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
sukeiasa wrote:question: how far is westchester county from nyc and is there easy access via public transportation??



Westchester County is immediately north of New York City. Specifically, my house is accessible via Metro-North (maybe 20 or 30 minutes from Grand Central Terminal) and a quick, 5 minute cab ride.

There are also subway/cab and subway/bus possibilities that I haven't fully explored.

PM me if you want further details.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Regrets! Will be in Boca Grande for a wedding. Grouper anyone?

signed.

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Can we get a sense of what's being brought, pref on the first message?

Name with a CT link would be great!

Plus one and I are bringing 1991 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. It's in a Magnum -- so it's two bottles -- but I might bring something else along. Let's see how the whites start to look.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
iByron wrote:Can we get a sense of what's being brought, pref on the first message?

Name with a CT link would be great!

Plus one and I are bringing 1991 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. It's in a Magnum -- so it's two bottles -- but I might bring something else along. Let's see how the whites start to look.

iByron


Wow! I can't wait to hear how that is holding up. I have a mag of the '94, and 750s of the 87 and 89.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
iByron wrote:Can we get a sense of what's being brought, pref on the first message?

Name with a CT link would be great!

Plus one and I are bringing 1991 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. It's in a Magnum -- so it's two bottles -- but I might bring something else along. Let's see how the whites start to look.

iByron



I'll update the first post shortly, but you're the first one to declare.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

if you're editing the first post, you'd probably want to put in your definition of a 'black tie' bottle... especially since the whole napa thing is thrown into the thread title... preferred region, minimum purchase/street price, etc... just so that everyone is on the same page...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
sukeiasa wrote:if you're editing the first post, you'd probably want to put in your definition of a 'black tie' bottle... especially since the whole napa thing is thrown into the thread title... preferred region, minimum purchase/street price, etc... just so that everyone is on the same page...



I don't know, I kinda just threw the idea out there, hoping it would evolve into something more precise. The original idea was "cool stuff I'm going to miss on the rpm tour" but I think it's turning into "something you would drink on a special occasion."

One of my contributions is going to be a red Burgundy that retailed for $29. I'm probably going to pick up another red from California somewhere in the $50-$80 price range, though I'm willing to get something at the last minute that better complements the lineup once it develops.

Another thought... since there are going to be some higher-end, moderately aged wines, perhaps anyone who feels it can be safely transported can bring a decanter. I have one (which will be in use by the time you all arrive), plus a couple of pitchers that will do the trick but not in a cool winey-snobby sort of way. I also have a Vinturi.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mikegberg wrote:I don't know, I kinda just threw the idea out there, hoping it would evolve into something more precise. The original idea was "cool stuff I'm going to miss on the rpm tour" but I think it's turning into "something you would drink on a special occasion."

One of my contributions is going to be a red Burgundy that retailed for $29. I'm probably going to pick up another red from California somewhere in the $50-$80 price range, though I'm willing to get something at the last minute that better complements the lineup once it develops.

Another thought... since there are going to be some higher-end, moderately aged wines, perhaps anyone who feels it can be safely transported can bring a decanter. I have one (which will be in use by the time you all arrive), plus a couple of pitchers that will do the trick but not in a cool winey-snobby sort of way. I also have a Vinturi.



Maybe take "Napa" out of the title? Though I guess it doesn't really matter. Just makes a long theme: "A Napa (and more) Black Tie Affair" vs just "A Black Tie Affair".

As for price range of people's contributions, that really does end up needing to be based on what each person themselves thinks of as "Black Tie" and what they can afford. Some people will have high quality, and sometimes nicely aged, wines that were relatively inexpensive when they bought them but would be valued much higher now. Some people just can't really afford to go out and purchase a bottle new bottle of something at $60-$80+, whereas others wouldn't think that as too much of a big deal and would be perfectly happy sharing such a bottle with the group.
I also think (especially since we won't be a huge group) that if two people decide to combine for a single higher priced higher quality wine, that would be good too. After all, IMHO, I would much rather get a small taste of a half dozen very high quality (and typically expensive) wines rather than get a taste of a dozen or more of less "Black Tie"ish type wines.

As for decanters, I have a handful. I also still (I believe) have multiples of the woot decanters that are still in their boxes which would be available for purchase if anyone wants them. I don't need 4 decanters at home (which I believe I have at least that many).

I haven't yet decided on a wine, but the ones I'm looking at in my CT are the ones valued at over $50-70 or more. I have a good number of those, so should be able to find something suitable. Current candidates include '04 TyTanium (though I'm sure many have already tasted them), Titus Lot1, a Spanish Gran Elias Mora Toro, etc, etc.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Lead post updated.

If I have your status wrong (maybe vs. definite) please let me know and I'll change it. If you pick a wine, tell me and I'll add it.

I also want to point out that no wines will be rejected. If you want to bring something from the $15 rack that you heard great things about, do it. It's all about the discussion and the discovery.

Snacks: If everyone brings one cracker/bread item and one savory item (pâté/spread/dip/cheese/meat...) we'll have plenty to go around. We'll supply some basic welcome fare, like chips/salsa and pretzels.

We also have a bunch of decent restaurants that deliver late into the night, so if anyone wants to go in on dinner (paired with wine, of course), we'll be happy to participate.

Finally, there's a two-room bed and breakfast on our street (maybe a 1/2 mile walk). We can inquire about availability if anyone is interested.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Titus Lot1



That one.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:That one.



Done!

I was kinda leaning towards that one too when I noticed it in my CT. Mikey....mark it down!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Done!



and done.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

please count me in with a +1 for now!

thinking about either bringing
woot black ties: 2006 barn d'or or 2006 castel giocondo brunello di montalcino

or

2002 le clos de fees

and might throw in a bottle of the 07 moon mountain estate cab magnum because i really can't drink magnums at home by myself... haha...


might have other friends wanting to come along as well... will bring more wine accordingly...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
sukeiasa wrote:please count me in with a +1 for now!

thinking about either bringing
woot black ties: 2006 barn d'or or 2006 castel giocondo brunello di montalcino



My personally preference lies with the Brunello, but that's because I love Sangiovese. And those woots are not available in NY due to being international.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

I came across these two wines today. Does anyone like the sound of either?

2004 Mount Veeder Winery Reserve
2007 Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon

The second may be infanticide.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

not a problem, mark me down for the brunello... will still bring that magnum because i just don't have an occassion for it here...

@ibyron, will bring your two bottles of riesling with me as well.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa
mikegberg wrote:I came across these two wines today. Does anyone like the sound of either?

2004 Mount Veeder Winery Reserve
2007 Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon

The second may be infanticide.



you're probably right on the hobbs... but the mount veeder looks interesting...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

I'm hoping for a sweep, but otherwise this wine tasting just took on a whole different feel:

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7 p.m. Ottawa at NY Rangers* (NBC Sports Network, CBC)

*if necessary

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

gijose


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

I have a Roessler 07 pinot, i'll check which vineyard next weekend, that i'd be in to bring

NYC!

mgberg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgberg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:
As for decanters, I have a handful. I also still (I believe) have multiples of the woot decanters that are still in their boxes which would be available for purchase if anyone wants them. I don't need 4 decanters at home (which I believe I have at least that many).



is that the 'true fabrications' tabletop decanter? if so, i would take one off your hands. i unfortunately won't make it to the tasting, but Mike can front the money and i can get it from him.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mgberg wrote:is that the 'true fabrications' tabletop decanter? if so, i would take one off your hands. i unfortunately won't make it to the tasting, but Mike can front the money and i can get it from him.



It's these decanters.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
mgberg wrote:is that the 'true fabrications' tabletop decanter? if so, i would take one off your hands. i unfortunately won't make it to the tasting, but Mike can front the money and i can get it from him.



I can?

Oh, NOW I get it.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

mgberg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgberg

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
mgberg wrote:cool. that works.



We will be sure to test it out in your absence, you know, just to make sure there are no cracks.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

i'm so confused by all the m*gbergs

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"