PRODUCT: 2 2005 Jana Cathedral Napa Valley Red Meritage Style Blend
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
6/22/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

What is a "Black tie buy"?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mschauber wrote:What is a "Black tie buy"?

one word, "Special"

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

riseagainstme23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riseagainstme23
North316 wrote:one word, "Special"

From what I found this is basically a two for one deal

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Can't go wrong with Scott's offerings. Thank goodness--I already have four bottles in the rack!

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink

Bought this last time. The wine is fantastic. This is what I've been waiting for. On a side note, the bottle design is wonderful. It's skinny on the bottom and gradually gets wider as it goes up. The bottle is longer than usual and had to fit diagonally in my wine fridge. This will go fast.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Seven in the cellar or I'd be all over this. Woot pricing better than the wine club. See the CT reviews, richardhod is spot on.

richardhod 2/21/2011 & rated 93 points: Refined Cabernet, with dark toasted notes, but a lot happening on the palate. Elegant, not overextracted or fruit forward. No bomb this, it has amazingly good mineral acid backbone, and soft, supple tannins at 6 years old. Will pair beautifully with a roast, without overpowering any subtle flavours. Will reward good decanting and a sensitive palate.
CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Half price this is. His best wine along with the no-longer-available Michigan Riesling. Autobuy, damnit! It's got the dark luscious fruits AND it's balanced and elegant!

hyetylidie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyetylidie

2005 Jana Cathedral - 2 Pack by Scott Harvey
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: hyetylidie
Speed to first woot: 0m 38.606s

I usually don't make decisions that quickly...

danaswan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danaswan

I have heard so many awesome comments about this wine, I am thrilled to be in! Yes! :-)

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Had a bottle of this a month ago from the first time it was on woot, and it was tremendously good. In for another 2-pack, which will bring me up to 5 bottles in the cellar. This is great wine and the price is a steal for what you're getting.

WaltW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW

Got this on 12/06/2011 so the last offering was not in June.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
rjquillin wrote:Seven in the cellar or I'd be all over this. Woot pricing better than the wine club. See the CT reviews, richardhod is spot on.

I already had 9 in the cellar. Now have 6 more.

___

sfabian37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

I have heard good reviews... i guess I am in for two

EDIT - Make that 4!!!

LoungeLizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LoungeLizard

Where are the good wines that can be shipped to Maryland???

Yes, I'm whining...

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
WaltW wrote:Got this on 12/06/2011 so the last offering was not in June.

to English eyes that's June 8-)

___

adams828

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adams828
LoungeLizard wrote:Where are the good wines that can be shipped to Maryland???

Yes, I'm whining...

There are other good ones... but I agree about this one! =(

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Passed on it last time, heard many good things, so in for two.

cotillion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cotillion

Sigh.

Couldn't resist. I am POOR.

mxracer98

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mxracer98
rjquillin wrote:Seven in the cellar or I'd be all over this. Woot pricing better than the wine club. See the CT reviews, richardhod is spot on.

Richardhod is usually all about Parker-esk fruit bombs unless his palette has changed. No fruit bomb. Hmmmm

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Scott: Thanks for putting this up. It's the best and won't last long in this woot! Six in the cellar and 6 more will be joining them. DON'T change the bottle design. Others will figure out a way to get them in their wine fridge OR better yet, they should just leave them in the shipping box until needed. PROBLEM SOLVED! Leave the bottle alone...It's SEXY!

mschauber

Too many positive comments to pass this one up... Just not sure I can wait the 2-3 weeks to receive it. Virtual wine tasting?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

D'oh! Scott you need to ship to CT again!

North316

mxracer98 wrote:Richardhod is usually all about Parker-esk fruit bombs unless his palette has changed. I was confused by the 93 points he gave, nothing much happening on the palette and not a fruit bomb. Hmmmm

Actually I believe Richard is the complete opposite of what you said. He has a very European and "Old World" palette and regularly bags on Napa fruit bombs.

My CT

rjquillin

mxracer98 wrote:Richardhod is usually all about Parker-esk fruit bombs unless his palette has changed. I was confused by the 93 points he gave, nothing much happening on the palette and not a fruit bomb. Hmmmm

I distinctly thought he was old-world, perhaps I mis-recall. This is not a fruit bomb by any means.

CT

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

There is definite fruit in it, though. It's not a fruit bomb, but neither is the fruit hidden.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
mschauber wrote:What is a "Black tie buy"?

COPIED AND PASTED

The "Black Tie Buy" icon signals a classier, more refined deal. We do it to avoid people shouting "WHY IS THAT WINE SO MANY MONIES TO GET?!" and spoiling the atmosphere.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4129538&PageIndex=2&ReplyCount=139#post4130156

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

North316

rjquillin wrote:I distinctly thought he was old-world, perhaps I mis-recall. This is not a fruit bomb by any means.

Haha, yeah we are on the same page here.

My CT

mschauber

cotillion wrote:Sigh.

Couldn't resist. I am POOR.

Thankfully my credit card company hasn't reduced my unlimited credit, despite my unemployed status... I really shouldn't be spending money though.... On the other hand, I have little else to do with my time, lol....

--
My CT

mxracer98

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mxracer98
jawlz wrote:There is definite fruit in it, though. It's not a fruit bomb, but neither is the fruit hidden.

Great Balance then, I may be in since I haven't had a single Scott Harvey purchase.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Sure is nice to be on Woot twice in one week. Last Sunday when Omgad asked for Jana Wines, I wanted to say something, but was sworn to secrecy.
Jana's father loved to grow pansies in the garden and Jana's mom loved butterflies. Their grandson, our nephew Michael Harants desisgned the label. He did the InZinerator and Angel Eis as well.
This wine is made the way Napa Cabernet used to be made back in the 50's and 60's. With its low pH of 3.48 it is made to be a 20 year wine. It was bottle aged for a number of years before release becuase it was to course when freshly bottled.

mschauber

bkarlan wrote:COPIED AND PASTED

The "Black Tie Buy" icon signals a classier, more refined deal. We do it to avoid people shouting "WHY IS THAT WINE SO MANY MONIES TO GET?!" and spoiling the atmosphere.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4129538&PageIndex=2&ReplyCount=139#post4130156

So you separate out the Olive Garden crowd from the Jean Georges crowd... I get it

--
My CT

richardhod

Au contraire, I'm closer to rpm's taste than most.. ore a European-style wine lover, but I do like more fruit than the most austere wine-lovers. Maybe I'm just eclectic, but I' not into the typical big aloholic Napa Cab.
If a fruit bomb comes up I'll describe it as "good for its style, if you like that kind of thing" if I think that is the case. I realise people have very different tastes. kylemittskus is more of a Parker lover.
I'm pretty eclectic, like to experiment and learn, and find some "big" wines do work. And others which do not. CdP for example, but then a good one of those has complexity, length, acid and minerality rather than just fruit!

richardhod

North316 wrote:Actually I believe Richard is the complete opposite of what you said. He has a very European and "Old World" palette and regularly bags on Napa fruit bombs.

lol thx! I do try to be kind about them, and some "big" wines are pretty interesting, but it can sometimes be difficult! There's always kyle and others to posit divergent viewpoints!

rjquillin

epistemologonhere wrote:I already had 9 in the cellar. Now have 6 more.

Yes, you are correct. And Scott, Jana and Monica are the best. Four more comin' this way.

Scott, any chance we'll see your Fortè?

CT

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210

This one is soooo good for $30 a bottle. Stock up.

PapaPerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PapaPerry

There goes more of my paycheck. Bank Balance will be 0.00 if this keeps up.

In for 2.

1st Bag of Coal 3/9/11
2nd Bag of Coal 5/11/11
3rd Bag of Coal 12/6/11

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Here I thought I might get through this woot-off without buying any more wine.

Ha! So much for that! My order is in.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Sure is nice to be on Woot twice in one week. Last Sunday when Omgad asked for Jana Wines, I wanted to say something, but was sworn to secrecy.
Jana's father loved to grow pansies in the garden and Jana's mom loved butterflies. Their grandson, our nephew Michael Harants desisgned the label. He did the InZinerator and Angel Eis as well.
This wine is made the way Napa Cabernet used to be made back in the 50's and 60's. With its low pH of 3.48 it is made to be a 20 year wine. It was bottle aged for a number of years before release becuase it was to course when freshly bottled.

Hey! I asked for Jana as well! Thx for making an appearance Scott. It is very much appreciated by the community.

Well I got my first wine woot wish with this..what about a 2nd? A Scott Harvey Riesling trio? Anyone? Anyone?