cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:You'll need to figure out different roommate arrangements this time, since I'll have someone else to share my room with this time.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:Speaking of roomates, if I do end up going on this tour, I'm going to need someone to share a room with, and based on my experience of finding a roomate for the clambake its going to be difficult. It seems that single female wooters have disappeared from the forums.

Again,

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
rpm wrote:My blushes, I had forgotten. I will fix you in the right order in the Veteran Tour. Gotta think about +2 and see how it's shaking out.

It is cool...however, I would like an answer on the +2 as quickly as possible...he, as we all do, needs to pre-plan. The money will be right and right on time, so make your judgement and let the deposits fall as they will. We will live by your judgement, but let's get him at the top of the waiters...good enough?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
gregorylane wrote:It is cool...however, I would like an answer on the +2 as quickly as possible...he, as we all do, needs to pre-plan. The money will be right and right on time, so make your judgement and let the deposits fall as they will. We will live by your judgement, but let's get him at the top of the waiters...good enough?

it's really a +1 as the missus is a bona fide wooter and tour vet

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Somehow I got dropped off the list!

I have to be in NYC for work the 23-25th, so I'm not sure if it really matters, but if the fogie tour ends up not overlappign too badly I'm in.

Seems like I was dropped off as well!

Either time should be fine for me.

Edit: Huh. Could have sworn I indicated an interest in attending in the thread.

MarkDaSpark wrote:We have to wait for the actual thread. In which HaK will end up last on all lists.

But on looking at it, it really wasn't clear that I was. Which I was, but Doh!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I am still interested. Solo.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
MarkDaSpark wrote:But on looking at it, it really wasn't clear that I was. Which I was, but Doh!

It's okay. I got dropped from the other list as well. Hmmm. Wonder why. Guess I'm now on the waiting list. So sad.

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

I am in, checking on the plus 1, should know after the weekend.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
ajrod27 wrote:I'm interested as a new tourist and would probably do the second tour if it's in the same week.

Did my interest post get overlooked? I don't see my name on either list :/

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Would have loved to have gone. But our first is due in late July so this wont work. Maybe next time.

CT

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
mother wrote:Somehow I got dropped off the list!

As did I. Not quite sure why. From all appearances, the list was drawn up based upon postings in the previous thread. My expression of interest and request to be placed on the list was posted months before others expressing interest in that same thread, yet they are on the list and I am not. My name must have gotten lost in the shuffle somewhere.

I recognize that putting the tours together is a huge amount of work and it is not my intention to be critical of those whose labors contribute greatly to the benefit of all in the wine.woot community. But I must confess to a certain amount of disappointment. After all, I am human.

rpm

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rpm

I edited the top post to say that if you think I left you off, or have you out of order, please provide the reference to your post which correctly indicates your order of precedence.

I began the list (for the Veteran Tourists) with HAK, because he was urging (pestering?) me to get on with it for months.

Thereafter, somewhat arbitrarily, I began with this Post Announcing 2012 Tours Coming Soon. If you posted 'put me on the list' on equivalent after that post, you've been put on the list.

If you posted interest before that, I have not put you on the list. I thought it was only fair to start when we said we'd be trying to do tour(s) in 2012.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
rpm wrote:I edited the top post to say that if you think I left you off, or have you out of order, please provide the reference to your post which correctly indicates your order of precedence.

ajrod27 wrote:Jan 17, 2012 10:03
I'm interested as a new tourist and would probably do the second tour if it's in the same week.

My initial post preceded redwinefan's post in this thread.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
rpm wrote:I edited the top post to say that if you think I left you off, or have you out of order, please provide the reference to your post which correctly indicates your order of precedence.

I began the list (for the Veteran Tourists) with HAK, because he was urging (pestering?) me to get on with it for months.

Thereafter, somewhat arbitrarily, I began with this Post Announcing 2012 Tours Coming Soon. If you posted 'put me on the list' on equivalent after that post, you've been put on the list.

If you posted interest before that, I have not put you on the list. I thought it was only fair to start when we said we'd be trying to do tour(s) in 2012.

Indeed. I was part of that discussion...or so I thought (see my post of July 28th, 3:54 pm), which arose from the conversation on non-refundable deposits. But sadly, I have no way of proving that my request to be placed on the list was concurrent with that discussion, as I made an apparently fateful decision to amend my remarks rather than add to the length of the thread by posting a new request with a date and time stamp.

Upon reflection of all things, I think that getting the Tour up and rolling is hard enough without any quibbling. Even when it means that I don't have a seat on the bus.

So please let me express my thanks once again for organizing the Tour, and have a wonderful trip.

rpm

ajrod27 wrote:My initial post preceded redwinefan's post in this thread.

OK, I slotted you in. I didn't initially because I thought the expression of interest was rather casual. But, in fairness, I wasn't clear that you had to express pretty serious interest. So, I put you in.

However, I have edited the initial post to add the following:

Edit 1/18/2012: I will no longer add people who say simply "I'm interested" - any further additions will require a stronger expression of a definite plan to attend if there is a slot.

Adding that language up front, and copying it here, should be enough notice that we're looking for people prepared to commit, not casual interest to save a spot.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
kittymac wrote:Still really interested. I may have a +1 depending on scheduling.

My +1 is game there room?

rpm

kittymac wrote:My +1 is game there room?

done

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
kkv123 wrote:Indeed. I was part of that discussion...or so I thought (see my post of July 28th, 3:54 pm), which arose from the conversation on non-refundable deposits. But sadly, I have no way of proving that my request to be placed on the list was concurrent with that discussion, as I made an apparently fateful decision to amend my remarks rather than add to the length of the thread by posting a new request with a date and time stamp.

Upon reflection of all things, I think that getting the Tour up and rolling is hard enough without any quibbling. Even when it means that I don't have a seat on the bus.

So please let me express my thanks once again for organizing the Tour, and have a wonderful trip.

Don't despair. Get your name on the wait list. You never know if someone may drop off and you might get the opportunity to go.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rpm

bahwm wrote:Don't despair. Get your name on the wait list. You never know if someone may drop off and you might get the opportunity to go.

Indeed. Last time we were way oversubscribed to begin with, and we ended up with last minute drop outs that raised the cost to everyone.

While I can't promise it, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see at least 50% dropout from the Tour 1 list and 30% dropout from the Tour 2 list by the time we're done. Not that anyone wants any dropouts, but that's experience....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

gregorylane

rpm wrote:Indeed. Last time we were way oversubscribed to begin with, and we ended up with last minute drop outs that raised the cost to everyone.

While I can't promise it, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see at least 50% dropout from the Tour 1 list and 30% dropout from the Tour 2 list by the time we're done. Not that anyone wants any dropouts, but that's experience....

Hey...I just noticed the absence of woopdedoo! What's up with that?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

gregorylane

richardhod wrote:it's really a +1 as the missus is a bona fide wooter and tour vet

True...but, being the Master of my own domain, I like to call her +1...bet I'll regret that.

rpm-2012

rpm

gregorylane wrote:Hey...I just noticed the absence of woopdedoo! What's up with that?

woopdedoo and rpm are the gentile organisateurs (with +1s, possibly) and are already figured into the calculations. The bus actually holds a few more than 24, but we allow for the GOs and other stray supernumerary occasional passengers from one place to another, e.g. WD39, WineFarm, SonomaBouliste, etcj.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

richardhod

gregorylane wrote:True...but, being the Master of my own domain, I like to call her +1...bet I'll regret that.

you won't even remember that you said it...

gregorylane

rpm wrote:woopdedoo and rpm are the gentile organisateurs (with +1s, possibly) and are already figured into the calculations. The bus actually holds a few more than 24, but we allow for the GOs and other stray supernumerary occasional passengers from one place to another, e.g. WD39, WineFarm, SonomaBouliste, etcj.

Very cool!

rpm-2012

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So if I posted my interest 2 posts before your thread, then I'm left off the list. Sad but I understand. And I do agree that people will drop out and hey, I might even be one of them depending on my job situation.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Even though I'm not a returning tourist, could you start a waiting list for the returning tourist tour and put me and my +1 on it in case you don't get enough returning tourists to fill it up? Please give any actual returning tourists priority over me.

I'd love to do the second tour in addition to the newbie tour if possible. I'm going to work on convincing my +1 to take that whole week off for a napa valley vacation.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rpm

CAGrl wrote:So if I posted my interest 2 posts before your thread, then I'm left off the list. Sad but I understand. And I do agree that people will drop out and hey, I might even be one of them depending on my job situation.

Your post was the night before according to time stamp.

Since there were only 2 posters who asked to be on the list beginning July 2011 when the discussion first resumed (as opposed to people who expressed interest in 2010 after the tour) and before my post (you and kkv123), I'm revising the list to add the two of you in at the top of the list.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

I have many requests from potential New Tourists to be added as a waiting list to the Returning Tourists thread.

We'll take that under advisement, but it would have to work as a 'only if there aren't Returning Tourists' list. No firm decision for now.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

richardhod

rpm wrote:I have many requests from potential New Tourists to be added as a waiting list to the Returning Tourists thread.

We'll take that under advisement, but it would have to work as a 'only if there aren't Returning Tourists' list. No firm decision for now.

slightly bigger bus? :D

winetrancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winetrancer
rpm wrote:My blushes, I had forgotten. I will fix you in the right order in the Veteran Tour. Gotta think about +2 and see how it's shaking out.

RPM, all is forgiven! I don't post much in here (my darling husband chats enough for the two of us) so it is np surprise you might forget.

winetrancer

gregorylane wrote:True...but, being the Master of my own domain, I like to call her +1...bet I'll regret that.

Call me whatever you like dear, as Master you are enjoying your delusions quite well....

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
richardhod wrote:slightly bigger bus? :D

Many of the wineries will not allow bigger busses. In fact, many of them don't want busses at all, but they allow us because of our connections. And, they know that we'll buy a bunch of wine!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I would like to be added (+1) for the 2013 Magaical Tour. It is out of my budget for this year and doesn't work well with my schedule, but this gets me on the list for next year and gives me time to figure out exactly what it is you people do!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98

North316 wrote:I would like to be added (+1) for the 2013 Magaical Tour. It is out of my budget for this year and doesn't work well with my schedule, but this gets me on the list for next year and gives me time to figure out exactly what it is you people do!

It's been about every other year or so (2008, 2010, 2012) so unlikely for it to be again next year, but potentially 2014 - stick around to find out These things are not guaranteed, thus all the clamoring for spots when it IS announced.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Tried to post last night, but Firefox for Android won't post on these fora. Frustrating!

So, I am definitely planning on attending. My +1 would be a newbie (although learning a lot more about wine) but obviously would only come on the "advanced" tour. I put her as a likely but not definite yet, since there will be cost issues to deal with. A few places with dessert wine would certainly help convince her to join in also I think I'll likely be able to work it out, so I'll say +1.

For those looking at hotel rooms, there is a reasonable chance that I'd be up for sharing a room regardless.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

winetrancer

richardhod wrote:you won't even remember that you said it...

Not to worry Richard, I will remind him and remind him and.....

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
rpm wrote:...While I can't promise it, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see at least 50% dropout from the Tour 1 list...

Thanks - I'm banking on it!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Just curious what kind of ballpark $$$ we're looking at for the tour basics ?

Thanks!
Brian

rpm

bsevern wrote:Just curious what kind of ballpark $$$ we're looking at for the tour basics ?

Thanks!
Brian

Very tentatively, based on prior experience:

Tour itself - ~$650.00 +/- $50

That should cover lunches and dinners (although last time one dinner wasn't covered because of last minute drop outs) during the Tour, and the pre-Tour gathering (heavy hors d'oeuvres + wine).

Hotel rooms (if we stay in same place) ran $135-$180. If you stay 4 nights, you'll pay all or part of the 4x whichever rate you get.

Transportation to Sonoma (or wherever we stay) from the Bay Area airports) is not included.

Air/rail/car transportation to the Tour vicinity is not included.

I would note that even though the economy is still down, there have been increases in the cost of many things over the past 2 years, so use these estimates as only a rough guess and don't be shocked if it's a little more.

Wine you purchase is additional.

I urge everyone to start budgeting for wine purchases now. My policy has always been to buy at least something at every stop, unless you really don't like anything. (I think on two tours, there were only two places I bought nothing at all....). More is always better from the wineries' perspective - after all they do want to sell wine.

A thought for the Veteran Tourists especially: we're going to work hard to make this special at serious wineries where the wines are not cheap, though we think they're an excellent value. Most of you know the kind of places I'm talking about. Think about being able to make fairly significant purchases of things you really like as a way of supporting their work and so they will know that the efforts they put out for the group, as well as their sales on woot, are worthwhile. We'll work with them to negotiate some discounts, but think of it as a chance to get wines that are unlikely to come up on woot, because they're scarce or better years or whatever (e.g. Corison wines from 2005 and 2007).

I think a wine budget of $500 for the New Tourists (which works out to an average of $21 a bottle for 2 cases total) and something more, perhaps $700 or more, for Returning Tourists, might be considered realistic. If you bought 4-6 bottles ranging from $30-75 at 6 or 7 wineries, you could easily spend $2,000 on wine, and I think there are Tourists who spent that much, or something close to it.

We got some shipping help from WineDavid39 and wine.woot, so don't worry about having to carry our purchases home. Many people bought 2-3 cases or more in total.

I would appreciate some of the Returning Tourists sharing how much they spent on wine on each of the Tours at the wineries we stopped at.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:I would appreciate some of the Returning Tourists sharing how much they spent on wine on each of the Tours at the wineries we stopped at.

It will take some time to try to find receipt info for that, but I can say this much with reasonable certainty: In '08, we bought 4 cases of wine. I remember spending a bit over $200 at Wellington, and $200 more at Little the same morning.
In '10 we had a much better stock of wine (better overall quality, as well) already on hand, so I anticipated buying less. We bought 7 cases. It might have been 7.5; I may not have counted the half case we bought at Roessler because they shipped it for free.
At this point, bahwm and I are definitely interested in the veterans tour, or whatever it's going to be called. We'll know better when the dates settle out, but we've really enjoyed the friendships we've formed through the tours and tastings, and don't want to miss an opportunity like this.
However, this time I'll make no possible purchase prognostications, especially with the promise of going to some very special places, since I can't tell if that will cause us to buy more or less.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook