bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

If anyone on the rookie tour is in need of a room, I can split. I booked one of the group rooms at the Sonoma Inn with two queen beds.

Cut your lodging in half and buy more wine

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I just booked the SVI. Only rooms left are the double queen garden rooms with fireplaces, at the prices originally quoted by Woop.

Worked for me.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
bsevern wrote:If anyone on the rookie tour is in need of a room, I can split. I booked one of the group rooms at the Sonoma Inn with two queen beds.

Cut your lodging in half and buy more wine

check PM

CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Sorry for the delay in responding. The later tour dates conflict with the Oregon Brewers Festival in Portland, which my friends and I are planning on attending this year. I'm trying to figure out if I can make the tour happen as well, maybe doing the beginner tour instead of the vets tour, or missing the first half of the beer festival and trying to rush up to Portland saturday AM, but for now I should be moved to a 'maybe' column. I'll try to figure it out as soon as possible.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm

Homework for New Tourists:

A Cat Died in My Mouth (or) How to Develop the Professional Palate YOU Want

2008 Magical History Tour website - the notes on the various days and the rpm notes section.

I also recommend looking at the videos at Wine Aroma Wheel Facebook Page .

I have used the Wine Aroma Wheel and the Sparkling Wine Aroma Wheel on both Tours to establish a common vocabulary, but intend to emphasize its use even more this year on both Tours. In fact I'm thinking of ordering a bunch for the Tourists as part of the package.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Would love to jump on either tour and meet everybody but (un)fortunately my wife's due date is the 23rd so that will be keeping me in SoCal. I'm sure it will be an awesome time. Make sure you get someone on camera duty.

CT

rpm

cortot20 wrote:Would love to jump on either tour and meet everybody but (un)fortunately my wife's due date is the 23rd so that will be keeping me in SoCal. I'm sure it will be an awesome time. Make sure you get someone on camera duty.

Maybe she'll be a couple of weeks early and you can sneak away while the grandmothers come in to do their thing....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kittymac wrote:Sigh. I think it's best that I drop out. It wasn't as say to find another + 1 as I hoped it would be. I was really looking forward to this experience. This seems like a fun group.

Are you a female? Did you check with kkv to find out if she wanted to split a room with you? If so, then that would take care of the +1 issue.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

What is the term? Grind? Jiggle? Punt? Flag? Bunt?

Bump. That's the term.

(as of 2011-03-02)

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

OK, my +1 will definitely not be attending due to the $ and preferring to use it to do things like visit me in SoCal. I am still waiting for things to settle down at the new job (and to actually finish moving) to confirm. If you want to bump me from the list now and I'll sign up again later that's fine. Or leave me in my spot for now, as you wish. Doesn't seem to matter much for the second tour at this point. :/

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

klezman wrote:...Doesn't seem to matter much for the second tour at this point. :/

I'm not sure that's entirely true. We're now at 16 in Tour 2, including you, but not including mother who has remained questionable given business commitments. If both of you are out, we're at 15. That would increase the cost to everyone with fewer to spread fixed expenses over.

If the group drops too low, we might have to cancel the second tour, or find some other way of doing it - like canceling the first day and making the other two days an optional add on to tour 1....

Or we could invite some fairly wine-serious non-wooters to participate....

Tour 1 is coming into focus well, and plans for Tour 2 are starting to gel as well, though nothing we can announce.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rpm wrote:Homework for New Tourists:

A Cat Died in My Mouth (or) How to Develop the Professional Palate YOU Want

2008 Magical History Tour website - the notes on the various days and the rpm notes section.

I also recommend looking at the videos at Wine Aroma Wheel Facebook Page .

I have used the Wine Aroma Wheel and the Sparkling Wine Aroma Wheel on both Tours to establish a common vocabulary, but intend to emphasize its use even more this year on both Tours. In fact I'm thinking of ordering a bunch for the Tourists as part of the package.

I'm not going on the tour, but I love learning, so I book-marked all of these pages for reading/watching over the weekend. Any other suggestions? I'm guessing the first link talks about scent kits, but does anyone have any recommendations in this regard? Also, is there any actual form or anything (other than the wine wheel) that anyone uses when taking tasting notes? (I mean like an actual form or worksheet to help with meaningful notes).

Thanks and sorry to interject!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

I am also trying to determine if there is any way to get the time for tour1 off. Not sure if it will matter, but I am more in the possible category than regrets. My +1 is out regardless. Doing what I can. Should know more in the next few weeks.

HitAnyKey42

rpm wrote:I'm not sure that's entirely true. We're now at 16 in Tour 2, including you, but not including mother who has remained questionable given business commitments. If both of you are out, we're at 15. That would increase the cost to everyone with fewer to spread fixed expenses over.

If the group drops too low, we might have to cancel the second tour, or find some other way of doing it - like canceling the first day and making the other two days an optional add on to tour 1....

If we need to look for wine-serious non-wooters (who could always potentially become wooters because of it), then maybe those of us going on the tour could start trying to see if anyone has friends that would want to do so. I think that I know a few people who should be serious enough for this tour I could check with. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

klezman

rpm wrote:I'm not sure that's entirely true. We're now at 16 in Tour 2, including you, but not including mother who has remained questionable given business commitments. If both of you are out, we're at 15. That would increase the cost to everyone with fewer to spread fixed expenses over.

Tour 1 is coming into focus well, and plans for Tour 2 are starting to gel as well, though nothing we can announce.

Didn't mean to imply that there was no consequence - just that there was currently no waiting list for tour 2. I'm going to try to see how the vacation days work out, since I just lost several weeks of stored up vacation when I switched companies. That's my main issue, as I am best man at a wedding in Canada this summer also.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

OK - I think I'll sign up for Tour 1, after all. It's not as if I'll be able to see much of the husband while he's at a hotel in Oakland between Bar Exam sessions. Is there a single post or comment that has the following?

1) Total estimated cost for the Tour
2) How much I need to pay now, how to pay it, and to whom
3) Some kind of To-Do list: Do we rendezvous in SF somewhere? What action do I need to take on lodgings? And so on.

If this isn't already somewhere central, let me know and I'll just read through the 12 pages of thread this weekend...

Thanks,
Michael
(Email: wootscreenname at gmail.com)

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

rpm

michaepf wrote:OK - I think I'll sign up for Tour 1, after all. It's not as if I'll be able to see much of the husband while he's at a hotel in Oakland between Bar Exam sessions. Is there a single post or comment that has the following?

1) Total estimated cost for the Tour
2) How much I need to pay now, how to pay it, and to whom
3) Some kind of To-Do list: Do we rendezvous in SF somewhere? What action do I need to take on lodgings? And so on.

If this isn't already somewhere central, let me know and I'll just read through the 12 pages of thread this weekend...

Thanks,
Michael
(Email: wootscreenname at gmail.com)

Start HERE and on the (generally frequently) updated first post of the thread.

Deposits were due 3/5 to woopdedoo (pm him for address) but if you sign up now, you have 2 weeks to get your deposit in and keep your priority.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Are there any, besides myself, still interested in added tour #2 that could help make up the difference? If #2 were to shorten to two days, would it then begin following #1, eliminating the overlap?

CT

HitAnyKey42

rjquillin wrote:Are there any, besides myself, still interested in added tour #2 that could help make up the difference? If #2 were to shorten to two days, would it then begin following #1, eliminating the overlap?

I'll do everything in my power to get more people to sign up for tour #2 before a day gets eliminated. A 2-day tour just isn't enough. Especially for something to travel across the country for.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'll do everything in my power to get more people to sign up for tour #2 before a day gets eliminated. A 2-day tour just isn't enough. Especially for something to travel across the country for.

I'm a quite likely, but I can't commit yet as so much is up in the air for me at the moment! But if I can I damn well will! And if so and I Can, I'll even try to make it on the first tour if there's space, or follow in my car (with chauffeur or something) if they let me.
So, I'm a fuxxy percentage yes

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'll do everything in my power to get more people to sign up for tour #2 before a day gets eliminated. A 2-day tour just isn't enough. Especially for something to travel across the country for.

As one who is also traveling across the country, I can sympathize.

So...I am the very soul of flexibility. If it is helpful, I might be able to attend both tours - but ONLY if permitted to do so.

In the alternative, I would be willing to give up my seat on the more populated First Tour bus in favor of helping to reduce costs on Tour Two. I have a great fondness for fine Rieslings, Gewuerztraminers and sparklers, and would be keen to explore the Anderson Valley with the Vet Tour if that was the plan. But again - only if the instructor permitted me to do so.

At the moment, my ability to change plane reservations to accommodate an alternate itinerary is great...but the window of opportunity to do so is short. If I am to make a change, sooner is better than later.

rpm

kkv123 wrote:As one who is also traveling across the country, I can sympathize.

So...I am the very soul of flexibility. If it is helpful, I might be able to attend both tours - but ONLY if permitted to do so.

In the alternative, I would be willing to give up my seat on the more populated First Tour bus in favor of helping to reduce costs on Tour Two. I have a great fondness for fine Rieslings, Gewuerztraminers and sparklers, and would be keen to explore the Anderson Valley with the Vet Tour if that was the plan. But again - only if the instructor permitted me to do so.

At the moment, my ability to change plane reservations to accommodate an alternate itinerary is great...but the window of opportunity to do so is short. If I am to make a change, sooner is better than later.

Due to logistics and other considerations, we will not be doing Anderson Valley. Another time perhaps.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
rpm wrote:Due to logistics and other considerations, we will not be doing Anderson Valley. Another time perhaps.

Such a shame. But then, it's always good to have a reason to return. :-)

Nevertheless, if it will make things easier for the organizers, my offer to switch tasting times remains on the table.

cortot20

rpm wrote:Maybe she'll be a couple of weeks early and you can sneak away while the grandmothers come in to do their thing....

While this is an option, for the preservation of my marriage I will have to decline. Thank you though and I will absolutely be looking for pictures of all the happenings.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Finally getting around to looking at the hotel. My wife is not a fan of Best Western (nor am I)--we had a not so great experience in the one in downtown Chicago. So, before I book, how nice is it? I think our preference would be to stay somewhere a little nicer. Possibly the Sonoma Hotel or even the Ledson.

Any input/guidance would be appreciated. : )

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

woop and rpm,
I just noticed that my +1 is still on the list. She will be joining us in Sonoma, and she would love to attend the group dinners (if possible... we will pay additional as needed) but she is pregnant, so she will not be participating in the tour.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rpm

jhkey wrote:woop and rpm,
I just noticed that my +1 is still on the list. She will be joining us in Sonoma, and she would love to attend the group dinners (if possible... we will pay additional as needed) but she is pregnant, so she will not be participating in the tour.

duly noted on the list

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

otolith wrote:Finally getting around to looking at the hotel. My wife is not a fan of Best Western (nor am I)--we had a not so great experience in the one in downtown Chicago. So, before I book, how nice is it? I think our preference would be to stay somewhere a little nicer. Possibly the Sonoma Hotel or even the Ledson.

Best Westerns can be pretty variable. I am often not a fan myself. The one we used for the 2008 Tour in Santa Rosa was very substandard in my view, though it was cheap and most of the younger Tourists were quite happy with it.

I thought the Sonoma Valley Inn we used on the 2010 Tour was pretty nice. It was clean, fairly quiet, and comfortable. Nice steam and jacuzzi. Well run, with helpful management. Not a luxury hotel, but not priced like one, either. You may be in for some sticker shock with Sonoma/Napa hostelry prices.

In any event, if you choose to stay elsewhere you will be responsible for getting yourself to the bus and back from the bus which will stop only at the SVI. That could be complicated if someone has had anything more than a glass or two of wine....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bsevern

RPM are you getting close to spilling the beans on the list of wineries we'll be visiting?

Cheers,
Brian

HitAnyKey42

Also if the people on the second tour need to start trying to recruit other people to fill a bus, then we need to know asap since the longer we wait the harder it will be to find people who can make the trip.
Additionally if kkv is to switch to the second tour as she already volunteered to do, she would need to know as well.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rpm

bsevern wrote:RPM are you getting close to spilling the beans on the list of wineries we'll be visiting?

Cheers,
Brian

No

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
otolith wrote:Finally getting around to looking at the hotel. My wife is not a fan of Best Western (nor am I)--we had a not so great experience in the one in downtown Chicago. So, before I book, how nice is it? I think our preference would be to stay somewhere a little nicer. Possibly the Sonoma Hotel or even the Ledson.

This is a nice place. Best Westerns are independently owned so your experience really depends on the operator, and these people were great to us. Think of the BW name as an advertising/reservation coop.

The convenience factor of being in the center of tour action is off the charts. You'll probably have a chance to talk to rpm in the spa, and most rooms have fireplaces (be sure to ask for it). I wish the lobby had a larger gathering place to meet and talk, but at least they have fresh brewed coffee available.

Booking a place in a town far from home can be crapshoot, but I think you can book here with confidence.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

HitAnyKey42

rpm, any update on the Tour 2 size issues? Do we all need to try to recruit some non-wooters for it? I'm not sure who I would try to get yet, but I do have at least a few friends or acquaintances who have a pretty good appreciation for wine.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

Bump.

Because I can.

And because I care.

(as of 2011-03-02)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Bueller?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

When will final payments be due?

bsevern

bsevern wrote:RPM are you getting close to spilling the beans on the list of wineries we'll be visiting?

Cheers,
Brian

rpm wrote:No

rpm wrote:Hi Joy!, David! Welcome back to woot!!

We're looking forward to seeing you in July on Tour!

We've got confirmation of one winery

cortot20

bsevern wrote:We've got confirmation of one winery

Not necessarily

CT

klezman

bsevern wrote:We've got confirmation of one winery

Iron Horse is a given. Kind of like Corison is required. And Wellington. Probably Scott Harvey also. These aren't secrets...

HitAnyKey42

klezman wrote:Iron Horse is a given. Kind of like Corison is required. And Wellington. Probably Scott Harvey also. These aren't secrets...

The difference this year though may be whether they are a given for both tours.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings