+ Add a Comment

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

All:

We have had a number of requests from Tour 1 Tourists to add Tour 2 -- gluttons for punishment,no doubt.

We have really not sorted out how it might work since there is a full day of overlap.

Given that our plans for Tour 2 are to have more continuity in the tasting experience and to have the days build upon each other, losing the first day is definitely a minus.

On the other hand, Tour 1 provides an overview and missing the third day would mean a Tourist would be missing out on 1/3 of the experience. Which 1/3 isn't clear, but it might well be core Sonoma Valley (rather than Napa as on the 2008 Tour) because Tour 2 will very likely be in Napa on Wednesday. (We don't want to hit any wineries with two separate groups in one day, and wear out our welcome...)

The question of the costs also gets iffy, we'll need to have the two buses Wednesday, and it's not clear we should increase costs to 'full' Tour 1 or Tour 2 Tourists by giving Double Tourists a price break.

So, we haven't said "no" definitively, but I'm not seeing how it would work out easily. I'm willing to listen to ideas by pm.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

RPM/Woop I don't know how much longer it will be until I have enough detail of the schedule for my prior commitment to know if I can sneak off early. At this point I doubt it will be before March 5th...

With a heavy heart, and an eye on fairness, I suggest you go ahead and take me off the list. If things do an about face I'll just add myself back to the end...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rpm wrote:All:

We have had a number of requests from Tour 1 Tourists to add Tour 2 -- gluttons for punishment,no doubt.

We have really not sorted out how it might work since there is a full day of overlap.

Given that our plans for Tour 2 are to have more continuity in the tasting experience and to have the days build upon each other, losing the first day is definitely a minus.

On the other hand, Tour 1 provides an overview and missing the third day would mean a Tourist would be missing out on 1/3 of the experience. Which 1/3 isn't clear, but it might well be core Sonoma Valley (rather than Napa as on the 2008 Tour) because Tour 2 will very likely be in Napa on Wednesday. (We don't want to hit any wineries with two separate groups in one day, and wear out our welcome...)

The question of the costs also gets iffy, we'll need to have the two buses Wednesday, and it's not clear we should increase costs to 'full' Tour 1 or Tour 2 Tourists by giving Double Tourists a price break.

So, we haven't said "no" definitively, but I'm not seeing how it would work out easily. I'm willing to listen to ideas by pm.

PM sent

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

mother wrote:RPM/Woop I don't know how much longer it will be until I have enough detail of the schedule for my prior commitment to know if I can sneak off early. At this point I doubt it will be before March 5th...

With a heavy heart, and an eye on fairness, I suggest you go ahead and take me off the list. If things do an about face I'll just add myself back to the end...

we'll leave you on for now... at least through 3/5. let us know when it firms a bit.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Whoo, got my receipt from woop - guess it's official now!!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
cheron98 wrote:Whoo, got my receipt from woop - guess it's official now!!

Apparently I missed the instructions for submitting a deposit... are we just to PM Woop?

cheron98

joelsisk wrote:Apparently I missed the instructions for submitting a deposit... are we just to PM Woop?

Yeppers.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

[Oh, damn it, these dates overlap with the bar exam. (Admittedly very late) expression of interest officially withdrawn.]

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

rpm

michaepf wrote:[Oh, damn it, these dates overlap with the bar exam. (Admittedly very late) expression of interest officially withdrawn.]

Are you sure you wouldn't really rather belly up to the bar than take it....?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Unfourtunately, my +1 will not be able to make it. As such, another spot open on the veteran's tour.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

With my daughter getting into grad school, I have to shift time off and travel budget to going to England to get her settled. I have to back out. I still have some hope that I can make it happen, but not for now.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
polarbear22 wrote:With my daughter getting into grad school, I have to shift time off and travel budget to going to England to get her settled. I have to back out. I still have some hope that I can make it happen, but not for now.

We need our flaming socks!!!!!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
michaepf wrote:[Oh, damn it, these dates overlap with the bar exam. (Admittedly very late) expression of interest officially withdrawn.]

The last time I did a bar exam I found over $10 in tips!

cheron98

chipgreen wrote:The last time I did a bar exam I found over $10 in tips!

ba dum, dum.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

One other possibility on transportation that we used last tour was a one way car rental. We did the shared van to Sonoma, but on the return trip rented a car in Sonoma and left it at the airport. For 2 people it worked out about the same as the shared van and much quieter and cleaner.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf
rpm wrote:Are you sure you wouldn't really rather belly up to the bar than take it....?

Well, I'm not even the one taking the exam... That's my partner's problem. But to be out doing the Tour while he's slaving away doesn't seem right, and I think it'd be a lot of fun to go together. Hopefully there'll be another one, someday. :\

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
michaepf wrote:Well, I'm not even the one taking the exam... That's my partner's problem. But to be out doing the Tour while he's slaving away doesn't seem right, and I think it'd be a lot of fun to go together. Hopefully there'll be another one, someday. :\

Good luck to him on the bar exam! Which bar? I took California and New York so I know all about the crappiness of the times.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
michaepf wrote:Well, I'm not even the one taking the exam... That's my partner's problem. But to be out doing the Tour while he's slaving away doesn't seem right, and I think it'd be a lot of fun to go together. Hopefully there'll be another one, someday. :\

Plan on another in about 2 years. Or more.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

There's always the February bar.... which sometimes has a higher pass rate for first time takers (since so many of takers in February are repeat customers).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
rpm wrote:There's always the February bar.... which sometimes has a higher pass rate for first time takers (since so many of takers in February are repeat customers).

Or is that repeat offenders?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rpm

UBlink wrote:Or is that repeat offenders?

Is there something offensive about those who frequent bars?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
UBlink wrote:Or is that repeat offenders?

rpm wrote:Is there something offensive about those who frequent bars?

...and I thought engineering jokes were bad. Apparently I don't know enough lawyers. I'm now looking forward to this tour even more.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

Schedules have been cleared and reservations have been made. All that's left to do is start drinking up my wine to make more room!

In the meantime, Woop, PM for you.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I really hate to do this, but:

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=3369426&PageIndex=24&ReplyCount=1022#post4573870

Yeah, I expressed interest in the original thread pretty darn early. And then I didn't watch for the new thread.

In fact, I haven't been on since October.

Still, I am interested. I am a vet, but +1 is not. Has there been a policy made for such a case made?

I see room for vets, but a waiting list for newbies.

Help me, Mr. Wizard!

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:I really hate to do this, but:

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=3369426&PageIndex=24&ReplyCount=1022#post4573870

Yeah, I expressed interest in the original thread pretty darn early. And then I didn't watch for the new thread.

Still, I am interested. I am a vet, but +1 is not. Has there been a policy made for such a case made?

Help me, Mr. Wizard!

+1's have been fine for the Vet tour. Both myself & richardhod (and klezman, if his +1 moves from maybe to yes) have a +1 that wasn't on a previous tour. It's actually kinda funny (especially if molarchae can make it) since it was myself, richardhod, & klezman who all shared a room on the last tour. And this time around we all might have a +1.

Glad to see you've returned from the void of non-wootland are will be able to make the tour.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

Help me, Mr. Wizard!

To be more clear, I expressed interest in the quoted message with a +1, as well.

Which doesn't matter for the vets tour, since that is not fully booked. Yet.

I'm scanning through the messages in this thread rather quickly; as there been any info as to tour agenda?

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

rpm wrote:Very tentatively, based on prior experience:

Tour itself - ~$650.00 +/- $50

That should cover lunches and dinners (although last time one dinner wasn't covered because of last minute drop outs) during the Tour, and the pre-Tour gathering (heavy hors d'oeuvres + wine).

Hotel rooms (if we stay in same place) ran $135-$180. If you stay 4 nights, you'll pay all or part of the 4x whichever rate you get.

Transportation to Sonoma (or wherever we stay) from the Bay Area airports) is not included.

Air/rail/car transportation to the Tour vicinity is not included.

I would note that even though the economy is still down, there have been increases in the cost of many things over the past 2 years, so use these estimates as only a rough guess and don't be shocked if it's a little more.

Wine you purchase is additional.

I urge everyone to start budgeting for wine purchases now. My policy has always been to buy at least something at every stop, unless you really don't like anything. (I think on two tours, there were only two places I bought nothing at all....). More is always better from the wineries' perspective - after all they do want to sell wine.

A thought for the Veteran Tourists especially: we're going to work hard to make this special at serious wineries where the wines are not cheap, though we think they're an excellent value. Most of you know the kind of places I'm talking about. Think about being able to make fairly significant purchases of things you really like as a way of supporting their work and so they will know that the efforts they put out for the group, as well as their sales on woot, are worthwhile. We'll work with them to negotiate some discounts, but think of it as a chance to get wines that are unlikely to come up on woot, because they're scarce or better years or whatever (e.g. Corison wines from 2005 and 2007).

I think a wine budget of $500 for the New Tourists (which works out to an average of $21 a bottle for 2 cases total) and something more, perhaps $700 or more, for Returning Tourists, might be considered realistic. If you bought 4-6 bottles ranging from $30-75 at 6 or 7 wineries, you could easily spend $2,000 on wine, and I think there are Tourists who spent that much, or something close to it.

We got some shipping help from WineDavid39 and wine.woot, so don't worry about having to carry our purchases home. Many people bought 2-3 cases or more in total.

I would appreciate some of the Returning Tourists sharing how much they spent on wine on each of the Tours at the wineries we stopped at.

2008: 54 bottles for $1553.05
2010: 63 bottles for $1790.87

Do you want it broken down by winery?

(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:I'm scanning through the messages in this thread rather quickly; as there been any info as to tour agenda?

Other than the dates being 7/25-7/27 (with the combined tours dinner/gathering on 7/24), no other agenda has been set. Woop has set up a block of rooms at the same hotel as last time. He's also taking deposits of $250 per person this time.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Other than the dates being 7/25-7/27 (with the combined tours dinner/gathering on 7/24), no other agenda has been set. Woop has set up a block of rooms at the same hotel as last time. He's also taking deposits of $250 per person this time.

If Peter isn't on the advanced tour, I will be bummed.

Oh, and Cathy. And Joy. And Kent. And Jim.

Dang. Maybe I should just go on the beginner's tour.

(as of 2011-03-02)

rpm

JOATMON wrote:If Peter isn't on the advanced tour, I will be bummed.

Oh, and Cathy. And Joy. And Kent. And Jim.

Dang. Maybe I should just go on the beginner's tour.

check your pm

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Woop,

Need your contact info for deposit.
Have PM'd a couple of times...

tnx

CT

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Sadly my + 1 cannot attend.
This changes things bit for me as well. Not quite sure it this means that I will have to cancel as well but, I will know shortly.

rpm

Help me, Mr. Wizard!

Don't know how I missed you. Contact woopdedoo ASAP, deposits due by March 5th, do you want to do both tours?? We haven't sorted that out yet, but I will keep you in mind.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

JOATMON

rpm wrote:Don't know how I missed you. Contact woopdedoo ASAP, deposits due by March 5th, do you want to do both tours?? We haven't sorted that out yet, but I will keep you in mind.

I will contact Woop and get my deposits in. And yes, I'd like my +1 to do both tours (which means I'll have to go along (oh darn)), but I understand that's currently in a state of flux.

I'll bring something interesting to share at one of the dinners; not sure which. Tuesday dinner is going to be approximately 2.5 times bigger than previous dinners.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

rpm wrote:Don't know how I missed you. Contact woopdedoo ASAP, deposits due by March 5th, do you want to do both tours?? We haven't sorted that out yet, but I will keep you in mind.

On the advanced list, you have me as a singleton at #8, and the pair at the end.

Probably you did find my message, but didn't catch the +1, and didn't catch the reference to both tours.

Still thinking about what to do here. Thanks for the advice in the PM.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

Hey, woop, PM for you!

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

JOATMON wrote:Hey, woop, PM for you!

Well, that didn't get a response.

Did anybody PayPal their deposit to Woop? Would you have his PayPal details? PM me if you do, please.

(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:Well, that didn't get a response.

Did anybody PayPal their deposit to Woop? Would you have his PayPal details? PM me if you do, please.

I don't think he's checking the thread every day. I'm sure he'll reply to you within a couple days.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
JOATMON wrote:Well, that didn't get a response.

Check your PM.