pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
ThunderThighs wrote:We're at 32. Supposed to get down to 22 tonight and 57 tomorrow. 70 again by Monday.

We won't see 70 until April. Maybe March if we're lucky.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Good morning all.

Note to self: leave early enough to remove frost from truck windows.

In the end only kindness matters

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
ThunderThighs wrote:On the topic of snow, we agree.

Ok, I think I'm caught up.

KdC, it's not so much that we (everyone in general) don't know how to drive in snow, we don't have the road equipment to deal with it effectively since we get it so rarely. I heard though that the TX DOT has purchased more equipment after last winter's fiascoes.

well... I think the people who are hauling ass down an icy freeway don't know how to drive in ice. Y'all always get more ice than us, so TXDOT has even less equipment here.

And if TXDOT blocks all of the ramps to a freeway to close it - above referenced Wakkos should not move the barrels and try anyway!

kdccrosby

Morning all!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning y'all. Just doing the early morning site check. Back to sleep for while.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! Two hour delay. Pancakes and sausage. Hubby says it has started snowing. As often happens at my house, there is no snow. It has snowed higher on the mountains, so the rest of county can't get out.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning!

Rain/snow mix at home, all snow by the time I got to work. Still snowing, everything is white.

Iceback wrote:Do they even make those anymore?

IT people never throw things out. I am now in possession of 6 floppies, orange, yellow and green.

Yay!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:Morning!

Rain/snow mix at home, all snow by the time I got to work. Still snowing, everything is white.

IT people never throw things out. I am now in possession of 6 floppies, orange, yellow and green.

Yay!

Seems like we still have a bazillion of 'em laying around the house.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
AZGman wrote:Seems like we still have a bazillion of 'em laying around the house.

I got rid of my stash when I moved. I copied everything off of them and on to my laptop or cds. :D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kdccrosby

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOYNER!!!!

kdccrosby

AZGman wrote:Seems like we still have a bazillion of 'em laying around the house.

I threw a bunch of them away when I moved.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOYNER!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
no1 wrote://cue turken to chop that vader pic to "SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW"

Sorry. Gotta get some real work done today.

And a good morning toa ll y'all wootersas well!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dontwantaname wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOYNER!

Happy, happy birthday! Plenty of January birthdays this week!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Just wanted to add some ranting on the topic of snow... We FINALLY got our first significant snowfall of the year yesterday. True to form (or at least the last few years' worth of experience) driving home last night was a Royal PIA. Only four inches of snow and yet the typical 45 minute drive took almost two hours.

You'd think that with snow being somewhat regular around these parts the cities and towns would have figured out years ago how to deal with it properly. And yet winter after winter they still fail do plow and salt properly. Is it really that hard to remember a few basic plowing techniques?

For instance:
1) The purpose of a plow is to push the snow off the road. That means you need to PUT THE BLADE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE PAVEMENT. Leaving it a half inch off the ground only removes the (safer!) top fluff while grooming the underlying snow-pack into a super-slick ski trail. Great for snowmobiles, but not so good for passenger cars. If sparks aren't flying off the back of the blade, you're not doing it right.

2) ROCK SALT DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY MELT ACCUMULATED SNOW! Salt placed on a wet road and allowed to dissolve into solution on the road will keep snow from accumulating quite so fast. Salt dropped on ice will melt localized holes, weakening the ice enough for a (properly lowered) plow to break it up and push it off the road. Salt on top of freshly groomed snow-pack does JACK SQUAT! It just sits there, melting a tiny amount of the snow immediately around it, making a bit more slush, but not actually making the road any safer.

3) For wider roads, PLOWS NEED TO WORK IN TEAMS. A single plow may push snow from lane A to lane B, but the car traffic behind it will slosh most of that snow right back before it has a chance to come around and plow from lane B to lane/curb C. Instead, put two staggered plows on the road at a time to move the snow OFF the road in the first pass. Once snow is off the road, the salt becomes a LOT more effective, and two plows clearing a road half as often are still more effective than one plow passing over a road four times to actually get the snow moved.

// rant off.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Turken wrote:Just wanted to add some ranting on the topic of snow... We FINALLY got our first significant snowfall of the year yesterday. True to form (or at least the last few years' worth of experience) driving home last night was a Royal PIA. Only four inches of snow and yet the typical 45 minute drive took almost two hours.

You'd think that with snow being somewhat regular around these parts the cities and towns would have figured out years ago how to deal with it properly. And yet winter after winter they still fail do plow and salt properly. Is it really that hard to remember a few basic plowing techniques?

For instance:
1) The purpose of a plow is to push the snow off the road. That means you need to PUT THE BLADE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE PAVEMENT. Leaving it a half inch off the ground only removes the (safer!) top fluff while grooming the underlying snow-pack into a super-slick ski trail. Great for snowmobiles, but not so good for passenger cars. If sparks aren't flying off the back of the blade, you're not doing it right.

2) ROCK SALT DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY MELT ACCUMULATED SNOW! Salt placed on a wet road and allowed to dissolve into solution on the road will keep snow from accumulating quite so fast. Salt dropped on ice will melt localized holes, weakening the ice enough for a (properly lowered) plow to break it up and push it off the road. Salt on top of freshly groomed snow-pack does JACK SQUAT! It just sits there, melting a tiny amount of the snow immediately around it, making a bit more slush, but not actually making the road any safer.

3) For wider roads, PLOWS NEED TO WORK IN TEAMS. A single plow may push snow from lane A to lane B, but the car traffic behind it will slosh most of that snow right back before it has a chance to come around and plow from lane B to lane/curb C. Instead, put two staggered plows on the road at a time to move the snow OFF the road in the first pass. Once snow is off the road, the salt becomes a LOT more effective, and two plows clearing a road half as often are still more effective than one plow passing over a road four times to actually get the snow moved.

// rant off.

Yep.

No snow here since the oct storm. Pblgov's wife posted it is snowing in Brooklyn. That isn't all that far from here. I don't think it is in the forecast for today.

It is windy and the clouds are moving fast.
So, sun, clouds, rain, sun, sun while it is raining....all sorts of stupid dog walking unfriendly weather!
They are actually saying, strong rain in short bursts.

I'm hoping Rusty realizes we took extra walks for the last 2 days to make up for a day of no walks!

The christmas stuff is still there>>>>>>> and there <<<<<<<

No move has been made to take care of it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Stupid isn't filtered? Since when?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:The christmas stuff is still there>>>>>>> and there <<<<<<<

No move has been made to take care of it.

sounds like mr. rusty isn't going to get a good performance review this year.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:sounds like mr. rusty isn't going to get a good performance review this year.

Maybe this is for you.....

The plastic box the tree stuff goes in has a sticker on the inside of the lid.

It shows a baby sitting in the box and the lid about to be put on the box. It has the big red circle with the line through it.

Do people store their babies in plastic boxes????

Mr 1, is this why we have never seen a picture of Miss 1?
Did you forget where you stored her?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dontwantaname wrote:Stupid isn't filtered? Since when?

Sometimes things just stay in the filter for a little while and then go back to being normal. The usual swear words don't, of course.

I'm just hanging out, really.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Mr 1, is this why we have never seen a picture of Miss 1?

yes. also why you haven't seen a picture of me.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:yes. also why you haven't seen a picture of me.

No, laptops were't that commonly used when you first appeared.
Although no1 may have one.
username wouldn't have.

Can you unpack the qwertyuiop's? I miss them. They were nicer than no1.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

inkycatz wrote:Sometimes things just stay in the filter for a little while and then go back to being normal. The usual swear words don't, of course.

Which Goodnight, everybody!in swear words are you Goodnight, everybody!in talkin about????

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Maybe this is for you.....

The plastic box the tree stuff goes in has a sticker on the inside of the lid.

It shows a baby sitting in the box and the lid about to be put on the box. It has the big red circle with the line through it.

Do people store their babies in plastic boxes????

Mr 1, is this why we have never seen a picture of Miss 1?

no1 wrote:yes. also why you haven't seen a picture of me.

dontwantaname wrote:No, laptops were't that commonly used when you first appeared.

uh... laptops?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Happy Birthday Joyner!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

no1

oh, rite. happy birfday joyner!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:uh... laptops?

How are you on a computer while packed away in a box?
Tablet?

Damn big box if you have a full size computer in there.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:Happy Birthday Joyner!

Ohhhh, shiny

wait
wasn't I doing something?
oh yeah, christmas ornaments.....

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:How are you on a computer while packed away in a box?
Tablet?

Damn big box if you have a full size computer in there.

who says i'm on a computer?

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Happy Birthday Joyner!

In the end only kindness matters

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:who says i'm on a computer?

You are a space alien?

There were even less smart phones back then.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Hi, everyone, and a Happy Birthday to you, Joyner. Is Poof bringing cake? I always think of her and associate the wonderful foodstuffs she writes about.

pooflady

klozitshoper wrote:Hi, everyone, and a Happy Birthday to you, Joyner. Is Poof bringing cake? I always think of her and associate the wonderful foodstuffs she writes about.

No cake, but I've been wanting to tell you, I love my Swivel Sweeper. The first one wouldn't turn on at all. The second one I charged for eight hours and it worked for five minutes. But then I charged it again and now it's working just fine. Thanks for the tip.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:No cake, but I've been wanting to tell you, I love my Swivel Sweeper. The first one wouldn't turn on at all. The second one I charged for eight hours and it worked for five minutes. But then I charged it again and now it's working just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Too cheaply built. I like mine too, but it is getting old. That little cleaning tool is great for anything with a brush!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

HB, J'ner!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:HB, J'ner!!!

ohhhhhh sparkly!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Happy birthday, Joyner.

AZGman

pooflady wrote:Happy birthday, Joyner.

Not enough chocolate on that cake!!!