jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
lassow wrote:How noticeable is is the residual sugar? Doesn't seem like much @ 2.8g/l but just have to ask before I buy a case of this stuff.

If I remember correctly, Peter Wellington tells us that the perceived sweetness of the wine is a combination of the RS and the acidity, so a wine with a nice low pH (high acidity) can handle a higher RS and still taste "dry". This looks like it falls right into that category.

EDIT: And it looks like 2.8 RS is officially "dry" anyway!

ON THE TOP!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Two coming my way! As other have said, I was just commenting to the family that I've been holding off on purchases in anticipation of the woot!cellars holiday offering and gift week. One down, one to continue to anticipate. Bonus that it's a Ty wine. This takes care of my cyber Monday shopping. Thanks!

svwindom

quality posts: 9 Private Messages svwindom

I loved the Racchus, my only Ty Caton wine so far. So in for two. Please don't tell my husband.

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

This feels like a screaming deal. Already in for a case. My only worry is that last year's "jolly old red" was easily the worst woot wine I've had. I hoped it would improve with time, but I cracked a bottle last week and could barely drink it -- had to pour most out. But I doubt I'll have that problem with Ty Caton involved.

Apsmommy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Apsmommy
merbill wrote:I got my black square with a woot cellars wine by Ty Caton! And used my birthday coupon to boot. I can't think of a better purchase to mark the milestone. Here's to the next 100!

How are you guys getting a birthday coupon? Does that mean actual birthday (as today is mine) or birthday of day you joined wine.woot? Either way I don't think I've ever received one.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda

Hope it's ready for this year -- but if not there's always next year

Looking forward to this. The Rachus Red has been a solid crowd pleaser and a great "go-to" when in doubt.

In the spirit of Christmas, I think this Woot Cellars buy will finally turn my little square green. (no, that doesn't have any other meaning)

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Just back from the honeymoon last night and this pops up? Score!

Ty + Woot Cellars = Autobuy for a case!

Looks like I just got some of my Christmas shopping out of the way.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Was going to get one, but seeing that it's Ty makes it an obvious 2+ buy

CT

BarbMpls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BarbMpls

Coming back after a long hiatus - in for 1.

Barbara Bruneau

jwayner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jwayner
jhkey wrote:If I remember correctly, Peter Wellington tells us that the perceived sweetness of the wine is a combination of the RS and the acidity, so a wine with a nice low pH (high acidity) can handle a higher RS and still taste "dry". This looks like it falls right into that category.

EDIT: And it looks like 2.8 RS is officially "dry" anyway!

ON THE TOP!

I agree with all this, but also a wine with a lot of fruit can fool you into thinking it has sugar, even if it is totally dry. Given the low PH and the touch of sugar which I assume is to offset the acid, I'd like to hear the winemaker talk about the balance of this wine. And I'll bet it's a great food wine.

In for one just for the woot cellars label and because I've never had a bad woot wine.

Jim

xiaodown

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xiaodown

Oh, what the heck; in for two.

It's good to have a nice fall back for every day drinking.

~100-120 bottles wooted so far (it gets hard to tell cause the wife buys some too...).
Always eager to learn.
Southwest VA.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
CowboyDann wrote:I've never bought 6 of one wine before... what's the drinking window?

This wine was built to drink now or hold 2-3 years. It's tasting great right now!

/tycaton/

Olsonbarb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Olsonbarb
otolith wrote:Any of the MN people want to split an order?

Where are you in Minnesota ? I would be interested in splitting.

TyCaton

cortot20 wrote:Love Ty's wines and of course all the woot cellars offerings, here's to hoping this one doesn't disappoint.

BTW, Ty if you get on the boards, I'm the dirtbag wooter who handed you his camera for a family photo at your own barrel tasting event last month. Sorry for that! You were the closest person to me and I wasn't thinking.

The tasting was great and my family really enjoyed the wines and the experience.

Don't be sorry, I love taking pictures! It was great seeing you and glad you enjoyed yourself.

/tycaton/

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
TyCaton wrote:This wine was built to drink now or hold 2-3 years. It's tasting great right now!

Thank You! I'm very excited to try it. I've never had one of your wines or a woot.cellars wine. With all the "auto-buys" and other people's responses I am eagerly awaiting this.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

In for 1, wish I had the space for more. Weird thing though, woot wouldn't accept my paypal. That's a first.

TyCaton

jwayner wrote:I agree with all this, but also a wine with a lot of fruit can fool you into thinking it has sugar, even if it is totally dry. Given the low PH and the touch of sugar which I assume is to offset the acid, I'd like to hear the winemaker talk about the balance of this wine. And I'll bet it's a great food wine.

In for one just for the woot cellars label and because I've never had a bad woot wine.

Jim

There is a nice balance between the acid and the supple sweet center fruit. The lively acidity carries flavors through to the finish.

/tycaton/

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
redwinefan wrote:Is Ty on the board? Just curious how he would compare the Racchus to the Blitzen.

Ty's 2009 Racchus:
California appellation
Varietal Composition: 44% Merlot, 31% Sangiovese, 14% Petite Sirah, 11% Zinfandel
14.1% Alc

vs.

Ty's 2009 Blitzen:
California appellation
Varietal Composition: 59% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Petite Sirah, 7% Zinfandel, 4% Grenache
Alcohol 14.5%

Ty, can you comment on the comparison? Drinking/tasting similar?

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
TyCaton wrote:There is a nice balance between the acid and the supple sweet center fruit. The lively acidity carries flavors through to the finish.

Thank you for commenting on your wine today. In terms of varietals, I tend to be a cab/merlot/sangiovese wine. I'm fine with some fruit but like a somewhat tannic dryer wine. Where do you think this blend would fall?

TyCaton

I'd like to thank wine.woot and WineDavid39 in particular for the opportunity to craft a wine specifically for woot cellars. I've enjoyed working with you David in selecting this blend. I'm very happy with the results. It's a solid wine that won't disappoint!

/tycaton/

radparker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages radparker

In for one, sounds like a great deal and I'm willing to give this blend a risk.

When did wine.woot start going to daily products instead of weekly? I'm so out of touch.

limesc1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages limesc1

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: CowboyDann
Speed to first woot: 0m 39.837s
Last wooter to woot: limesc1

Yeah! my 4 seconds of fame! I had the pleasure of ordering the Woot Cellars Monkey 2nd Prize and for a table wine, it was great. Also a great conversation piece. Very drinkable and enjoyable. I told myself that I would be open to other Woot Cellars offerings, and when I saw that Ty was in charge I couldn't resist.

Zephyress

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress

Will the Blitzen be going away at noon, and something else will be up? I've forgotten how Gift Week works now.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Easy choice...I'm in! ...and it looks like just in time; this puppy's about to sell out...

SkiTrent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SkiTrent

Auto buy for me! In for 2. Opened a bottle of adequate gift last night and was slightly sad when I realized I am almost out of woot cellars wine.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Zephyress wrote:Will the Blitzen be going away at noon, and something else will be up? I've forgotten how Gift Week works now.

a full day for woot cellars.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Winedavid39 wrote:a full day for woot cellars.

I'll be surprised if it lasts until noon. Looks like a quick sell out ;)

edit: and it's already bouncing!

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea

Ty, thanks for the comments/information, I'm really excited to try this one. I quickly bought one before I even had a chance to go through all the comments as I was afraid it would sell out. I've really enjoyed all of the woot cellar offerings and I've never tried a Ty Caton wine (yes, I've been missing out) so this was too easy of a decision. Happy holidays everyone.

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor

Good timing...bouncing right after I was in for two.

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor
Winedavid39 wrote:a full day for woot cellars.

Looks like a full day of Wooters staring hopelessly at the Sold Out button.

mochamix79

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79

Just hit the big yellow button...YAY! Now I see it bouncing. SO GLAD I jumped! Looking forward to an interesting day of woot wines!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Bouncing button.

In for one. Would be more, but space and budget say 1 is enough.

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
sdwindansea wrote:Ty, thanks for the comments/information, I'm really excited to try this one. I quickly bought one before I even had a chance to go through all the comments as I was afraid it would sell out. I've really enjoyed all of the woot cellar offerings and I've never tried a Ty Caton wine (yes, I've been missing out) so this was too easy of a decision. Happy holidays everyone.

I did the same thing, happily in for 1 to try out Ty's wine!

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

In for 2. Figured we'd keep one and gift the others for various holiday parties.

Looking forward to offer #2 of the day.

How do you guys find out about gift week etc? (other than Cesare's msg)

swmbo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages swmbo

Bouncing makes me wish I'd opted for 3 instead of 2! Still, I get enough gentle teasing at the FedEx office!

jamjon1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jamjon1

Phew! Was on the fence then saw the bouncing button and took the plunge.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

Auto buy. Ty gets to experiment and only $10 a bottle. I want to try this just to try the results. I missed last years offering, but to me all the other Woot cellars have tasted better with some cellar age on them. Is this a drink today or layaway wine?

joeuns77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeuns77

Damn bouncing button, must press it. Can't wait to try this.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
joeuns77 wrote:Damn bouncing button, must press it. Can't wait to try this.

Got me too. Ty, as far as I can tell, this is the most acidic red you've made available on Woot. I'm rather excited about it.

I'll probably drink this one young unless it really seems to have the bones to hold up for years in the bottle.

signed.

winegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages winegirl

Winegirl is in for one. Must support the local winegods. Not sure if the merlot is from Ty's estate but if it is, I will feel like I just struck gold.

Great label! Holiday fun!

btw - this wine's sibling (Racchus Red) flew off the shelves of our tasting room this past weekend. We could barely keep up.