WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Torii Mor 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir - 2 Pack

Speed to First Woot:
0m 54.000s
First Sucker:
mill
Last Wooter to Woot:
karenbokay
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 41% of Wine Woots
Bottom 35% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 38% of Wine Woots
Top 41% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 5% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 24% < 10 woots
  • 22% < 25 woots
  • 44% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 79% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 73% bought 1
  • 22% bought 2
  • 5% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

10%
5%
0%
1%
1%
1%
4%
6%
5%
9%
9%
6%
5%
7%
5%
2%
4%
4%
2%
4%
4%
4%
2%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Cesare


quality posts: 1643 Private Messages Cesare

Torii Mor 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir - 2 Pack
$59.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2007 Hawks View Vineyard Pinot Noir
1 2007 Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

Twitter
Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
10/14/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson


Maybe someone who bought the offer on Oct 14th could comment on the 07 Olalla.

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

I was lucky to be able to rat the 2007 Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir last time this was up, and it was outstanding!!!

This is essentially a BOGO deal.

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
jmdavidson wrote:Maybe someone who bought the offer on Oct 14th could comment on the 07 Olalla.


I bought the previous offer and I just want to say .......



........ they are all being held for family Christmas celebrations next month.

cpheral


quality posts: 3 Private Messages cpheral

Still wondering why I can buy wine through WSJwine club and have it delivered but delivery to Indiana is never available here.

goaljnky


quality posts: 1 Private Messages goaljnky

In for one. We'll see what it's like. In a year, or two.

Wine Whore
Cellar Tracker

ctperry


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctperry
cpheral wrote:Still wondering why I can buy wine through WSJwine club and have it delivered but delivery to Indiana is never available here.



Or Hawaii. Please start shipping to Hawaii...even if you charge extra for delivery.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
ctperry wrote:Or Hawaii. Please start shipping to Hawaii...even if you charge extra for delivery.



Yes, this is the main thing preventing me from moving there

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

Drayu


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Drayu

Had Torrii Mor in the past, was good. I am not much of a wine expert, I just know when I like something and I don't. This was good, rebuy?....still debating..

side note: Why are the labels not in line with the bottling year? I mean, those labels look like they are from the late 80's or early 90's!

stormtx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stormtx
bsevern wrote:I was lucky to be able to rat the 2007 Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir last time this was up, and it was outstanding!!!

This is essentially a BOGO deal.



I'm not a regular on this site, what is a BOGO deal and how long do these need to sit you think to be optimal?

hogfatt


quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
stormtx wrote:I'm not a regular on this site, what is a BOGO deal and how long do these need to sit you think to be optimal?



BOGO, it's actually a Payless term for Buy-One-Get-One free.

I don't know if this is that good of a deal; the wines are excellent, but I certainly would not pay $65 for either one separately.

I swear since I cancelled my club membership Torii Mor has been on woot like 3-4 times lol. They make exceptional wines that are just at a price point that I would rather pay for a decent cab or borolo. I still firmly believe that Oregon PN is superior and Torii Mor is one of the best in the region.

I would buy this deal as well as the last couple had I not been purchasing a new home.

CT Updating, please wait....

michilli40


quality posts: 2 Private Messages michilli40

I have had the 2006 and 2007 Deux Verres before and just a wonderful wine. Looking at the website these 2007 both go for 55.00 a bottle so not only a nice wine but a good buy...in for 3 just hope to get them before Christmas!

lucasmeeker


quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker

Had to stick my nose in other people's business...

Buy this.

The Torii Mor wines are awesome, easily one of if not my favorite OR producer. They're killin' it.

PS - The Pinot Gris is ridonkulous.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
michilli40 wrote:I have had the 2006 and 2007 Deux Verres before and just a wonderful wine. Looking at the website these 2007 both go for 55.00 a bottle so not only a nice wine but a good buy...in for 3 just hope to get them before Christmas!



We also bought those previously - one of the offerings was exactly one week after we had visited the Torii Mor tasting. We greatly enjoyed the Deux Verres at the winery, but the sales price in the tasting room was more than we felt we could spend. We ended up buying a bottle of a different, cheaper PN that was in our price range. (I don't remember exactly which one we bought.)

Imagine my delight when a week later the Deux Verres appeared at wine.woot for the same price we had paid for the bottle we had bought in the tasting room.

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
hogfatt wrote:BOGO, I still firmly believe that Oregon PN is superior...



I second this comment. Big time.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

ToriiMor


quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor

Good Morning Wooters! Thank you for all the great comments on your experience with Torii Mor wines. We are very proud of our wines and I am so excited we are able to offer up these two single vineyard Pinot Noirs for the holidays. Pinot Noir is the perfect wine for Thanksgiving day, so even though you won't have these in time for this year's celebration, they will be in prime condition for next year.

The winemakers and myself will be popping on throughout the day, so please let us know if you have any questions.

merryberry


quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

We stopped by the tasting room this past Spring and the prior comment about the Pinot Gris being redonkulus is right on. Their Syrah port is wonderful too.

It is well documented that 2007 was a tough year for Oregon Pinot Noir. How did the poor conditions that year affect your wine and winemaking? What did you do different (if anything) and/or how is the wine different than other years where the weather cooperated (like 2006 and 2008)?

My Cellar in CT

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

noslensj wrote:I bought the previous offer and I just want to say .......

........ they are all being held for family Christmas celebrations next month.



...good call. The Hawk's View will be decanting at some point in the last two weeks of December at my house, I assure you.

I'm in for one (and I put this deal together). Hard for me to say no to Oregon Pinot especially this quality at this price. (These normally sell for $55 each).

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

lucasmeeker wrote:Had to stick my nose in other people's business...

Buy this.

The Torii Mor wines are awesome, easily one of if not my favorite OR producer. They're killin' it.

PS - The Pinot Gris is ridonkulous.



+1

WineDavid was my Boss!

jplamb


quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb
lucasmeeker wrote:Had to stick my nose in other people's business...

Buy this.

The Torii Mor wines are awesome, easily one of if not my favorite OR producer. They're killin' it.

PS - The Pinot Gris is ridonkulous.



If Lucas has this strong of an endorsement I guess that means I have to order.

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
lucasmeeker wrote:
PS - The Pinot Gris is ridonkulous.



If only the Pinot Gris was being offered....

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

stormtx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stormtx
ToriiMor wrote:Good Morning Wooters! Thank you for all the great comments on your experience with Torii Mor wines. We are very proud of our wines and I am so excited we are able to offer up these two single vineyard Pinot Noirs for the holidays. Pinot Noir is the perfect wine for Thanksgiving day, so even though you won't have these in time for this year's celebration, they will be in prime condition for next year.

The winemakers and myself will be popping on throughout the day, so please let us know if you have any questions.



Everyone sounds excited for sure! Do you know if it has high tanins and how long it should age before optimally opening? Thank you!

kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

Torii Mor is one of the old guard in Oregon, with vines first planted in 1972, and later using the winery to showcase the grapes at Olson in 1993. The winery is right on Dundee Hills, just up the road from Dundee on 99W. Once you get off Worden and on to gravel roads, its surprising to find them back there. Same thing about Lange, which isn't far away. They're up to 15,000 cases now, which is a lot of wine, but like all wineries in the area, the difference between their entry level and upper end stuff is profound.

I haven't had these exact wines, but the others I've had usually taste a bit overextracted, gamey, or forest floor-like. But I've also had some older Torii Mor (mid-90s), and the wine stands the test of time, especially with the upper end offerings like these vineyard designates.

I'm frankly surprised they even make the Olalla. Surrounded by such amazing grapes in Dundee, they must be bringing these grapes all the way from the hills west of Winston in the Umpqua Valley for a reason. We're talking 3-4 hours in the truck, one way. Umpqua wines usually have a more rich jammy fruit quality instead of mushroom earthy profile of Dundee, due to the hotter weather in the Roseburg area. But because of this warmer weather, they weren't subject to the same late season moisture issues that rotted grapes left and right in the upper Willamette in 2007. Check out the vineyard right here.

Hawks View is north of Dundee, at the very north end of the Chehalem ridge. Grapes on this side grow in cooler, slightly more moist conditions. This vineyard is much larger (take a look). Siduri makes a designate from this vineyard, and I'd describe it as light, but focused earthy tones. But if you love rich, long, full fruit in your Pinot, this may fall just a touch short.

All in all, a good value. And like all 2007s, time is showing us that in the hands of a skilled winemaker, the 2007s are some of the best around. While the 2008s are very good, the skill required to make good Pinot was much lower due to quality fruit, so 2007 really shows us who's got the chops. Tardy has a long reputation of delivering world-class Burgundian-style Pinot. Give it a shot.

ToriiMor


quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor


merryberry wrote:We stopped by the tasting room this past Spring and the prior comment about the Pinot Gris being redonkulus is right on. Their Syrah port is wonderful too.

It is well documented that 2007 was a tough year for Oregon Pinot Noir. How did the poor conditions that year affect your wine and winemaking? What did you do different (if anything) and/or how is the wine different than other years where the weather cooperated (like 2006 and 2008)?



yes 2007 was pretty wet during most of harvest, that bloaded the berries and we ended up with higher yield per acre than expected...
we did a lot of tank bleeding (saignee) to increase the ratio solid-liquid in the fermenting tanks. we ended up making average to better than average colored wines with enough tannins for the long run...
at release the 2007 were a little angular, the tannins needed time to get softer.
today thoses same wines are showing mature flavors with the roundness-softness you expect from PN. I did adjust my winemaking by doing short pre-fermentation cold soak, but I extended post maceration by a couple days to adjust to higher tannins.
2006 have sweeter tannins from the warm and ripe vintage, the 2008 are fruitier and also sweeter from the long (but cool) hang time on the vines.

ToriiMor


quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor
stormtx wrote:Everyone sounds excited for sure! Do you know if it has high tanins and how long it should age before optimally opening? Thank you!



the tannins have softened up, and these wine can be enjoyed today (I do) or aged a little more.
I think they have another 5-7 years...

ToriiMor


quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor
kanoble aborigineaki1 wrote:Torii Mor is one of the old guard in Oregon, with vines first planted in 1972, and later using the winery to showcase the grapes at Olson in 1993. The winery is right on Dundee Hills, just up the road from Dundee on 99W. Once you get off Worden and on to gravel roads, its surprising to find them back there. Same thing about Lange, which isn't far away. They're up to 15,000 cases now, which is a lot of wine, but like all wineries in the area, the difference between their entry level and upper end stuff is profound.

I haven't had these exact wines, but the others I've had usually taste a bit overextracted, gamey, or forest floor-like. But I've also had some older Torii Mor (mid-90s), and the wine stands the test of time, especially with the upper end offerings like these vineyard designates.

I'm frankly surprised they even make the Olalla. Surrounded by such amazing grapes in Dundee, they must be bringing these grapes all the way from the hills west of Winston in the Umpqua Valley for a reason. We're talking 3-4 hours in the truck, one way. Umpqua wines usually have a more rich jammy fruit quality instead of mushroom earthy profile of Dundee, due to the hotter weather in the Roseburg area. But because of this warmer weather, they weren't subject to the same late season moisture issues that rotted grapes left and right in the upper Willamette in 2007. Check out the vineyard right here.

Hawks View is north of Dundee, at the very north end of the Chehalem ridge. Grapes on this side grow in cooler, slightly more moist conditions. This vineyard is much larger (take a look). Siduri makes a designate from this vineyard, and I'd describe it as light, but focused earthy tones. But if you love rich, long, full fruit in your Pinot, this may fall just a touch short.

All in all, a good value. And like all 2007s, time is showing us that in the hands of a skilled winemaker, the 2007s are some of the best around. While the 2008s are very good, the skill required to make good Pinot was much lower due to quality fruit, so 2007 really shows us who's got the chops. Tardy has a long reputation of delivering world-class Burgundian-style Pinot. Give it a shot.



the Olalla is actualy grown in a cool area of the Umpqua Valley, it was planted in 1975 to Pommard and Chardonnay, the Chard was then grafted to Dijon 115.
I make wine from Olalla because it is an older vineyard, and because it is different from what we get in the Willamette valley.
many vintages it is the last fruit I bring in... after the Willamette Valley fruit... and it is not over ripe, it needs long hang time to soften the tannins and reach flavor maturity, even though sometimes the sugars get ahead of the flavors.
the grower is a retired musician and he does all the work himself on the 4.5 acres. he is now 84 years old! he looks 20 years younger...I enjoy talking and working with him.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I found that I still have a bottle of the 2006 Deux Verres from a previous woot. Methinks we may open it tomorrow - the other bottles were wonderful, and I expect this one to be so as well.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
ToriiMor wrote:the Olalla is actualy grown in a cool area of the Umpqua Valley, it was planted in 1975 to Pommard and Chardonnay, the Chard was then grafted to Dijon 115.
I make wine from Olalla because it is an older vineyard, and because it is different from what we get in the Willamette valley.
many vintages it is the last fruit I bring in... after the Willamette Valley fruit... and it is not over ripe, it needs long hang time to soften the tannins and reach flavor maturity, even though sometimes the sugars get ahead of the flavors.
the grower is a retired musician and he does all the work himself on the 4.5 acres. he is now 84 years old! he looks 20 years younger...I enjoy talking and working with him.



I drank the Olalla back in October and thought it was one of the best bottles of PN I've had, it was that good. It was like a layered fruit grenade, but in an awesome way, it was just amazing, very complex, and continued to develop the longer it sat. I love these kind of wines, complex, changing as you drink, full of surprises, and the kind of wine that provokes thought. Definitely a new world style, but not over extracted, or for lack of a better description, fake tasting like some over extracted big reds can be.

PTommins


quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
kanoble aborigineaki1 wrote:Torii Mor is one of the old guard in Oregon, with vines first planted in 1972, and later using the winery to showcase the grapes at Olson in 1993. The winery is right on Dundee Hills, just up the road from Dundee on 99W. Once you get off Worden and on to gravel roads, its surprising to find them back there. Same thing about Lange, which isn't far away. They're up to 15,000 cases now, which is a lot of wine, but like all wineries in the area, the difference between their entry level and upper end stuff is profound.

I haven't had these exact wines, but the others I've had usually taste a bit overextracted, gamey, or forest floor-like. But I've also had some older Torii Mor (mid-90s), and the wine stands the test of time, especially with the upper end offerings like these vineyard designates.

I'm frankly surprised they even make the Olalla. Surrounded by such amazing grapes in Dundee, they must be bringing these grapes all the way from the hills west of Winston in the Umpqua Valley for a reason. We're talking 3-4 hours in the truck, one way. Umpqua wines usually have a more rich jammy fruit quality instead of mushroom earthy profile of Dundee, due to the hotter weather in the Roseburg area. But because of this warmer weather, they weren't subject to the same late season moisture issues that rotted grapes left and right in the upper Willamette in 2007. Check out the vineyard right here.

Hawks View is north of Dundee, at the very north end of the Chehalem ridge. Grapes on this side grow in cooler, slightly more moist conditions. This vineyard is much larger (take a look). Siduri makes a designate from this vineyard, and I'd describe it as light, but focused earthy tones. But if you love rich, long, full fruit in your Pinot, this may fall just a touch short.

All in all, a good value. And like all 2007s, time is showing us that in the hands of a skilled winemaker, the 2007s are some of the best around. While the 2008s are very good, the skill required to make good Pinot was much lower due to quality fruit, so 2007 really shows us who's got the chops. Tardy has a long reputation of delivering world-class Burgundian-style Pinot. Give it a shot.


Quality post if I've ever seen one.

Thanks.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
ToriiMor wrote:the Olalla is actualy grown in a cool area of the Umpqua Valley, it was planted in 1975 to Pommard and Chardonnay, the Chard was then grafted to Dijon 115.
I make wine from Olalla because it is an older vineyard, and because it is different from what we get in the Willamette valley.
many vintages it is the last fruit I bring in... after the Willamette Valley fruit... and it is not over ripe, it needs long hang time to soften the tannins and reach flavor maturity, even though sometimes the sugars get ahead of the flavors.
the grower is a retired musician and he does all the work himself on the 4.5 acres. he is now 84 years old! he looks 20 years younger...I enjoy talking and working with him.



Mmmmm, Olallaberries 8-)

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
coynedj wrote:I found that I still have a bottle of the 2006 Deux Verres from a previous woot. Methinks we may open it tomorrow - the other bottles were wonderful, and I expect this one to be so as well.



I liked the 07 Deux Verres (NB if any stocks left, sometimes in the BevMO 5c sale at $20), a more austere PN than most in the US, though I found it still very tight, so am keeping my remaining two bottles for a couple of years.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Dundee? Then I wonder if this'll go nicely with Dundee cake... especially the whisky version.

kanoble aborigineaki1 wrote:Torii Mor is one of the old guard in Oregon, with vines first planted in 1972, and later using the winery to showcase the grapes at Olson in 1993. The winery is right on Dundee Hills, just up the road from Dundee on 99W. Once you get off Worden and on to gravel roads, its surprising to find them back there. Same thing about Lange, which isn't far away. They're up to 15,000 cases now, which is a lot of wine, but like all wineries in the area, the difference between their entry level and upper end stuff is profound.

I haven't had these exact wines, but the others I've had usually taste a bit overextracted, gamey, or forest floor-like. But I've also had some older Torii Mor (mid-90s), and the wine stands the test of time, especially with the upper end offerings like these vineyard designates.

I'm frankly surprised they even make the Olalla. Surrounded by such amazing grapes in Dundee, they must be bringing these grapes all the way from the hills west of Winston in the Umpqua Valley for a reason. We're talking 3-4 hours in the truck, one way. Umpqua wines usually have a more rich jammy fruit quality instead of mushroom earthy profile of Dundee, due to the hotter weather in the Roseburg area. But because of this warmer weather, they weren't subject to the same late season moisture issues that rotted grapes left and right in the upper Willamette in 2007. Check out the vineyard right here.

Hawks View is north of Dundee, at the very north end of the Chehalem ridge. Grapes on this side grow in cooler, slightly more moist conditions. This vineyard is much larger (take a look). Siduri makes a designate from this vineyard, and I'd describe it as light, but focused earthy tones. But if you love rich, long, full fruit in your Pinot, this may fall just a touch short.

All in all, a good value. And like all 2007s, time is showing us that in the hands of a skilled winemaker, the 2007s are some of the best around. While the 2008s are very good, the skill required to make good Pinot was much lower due to quality fruit, so 2007 really shows us who's got the chops. Tardy has a long reputation of delivering world-class Burgundian-style Pinot. Give it a shot.



kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1
ToriiMor wrote:the Olalla is actualy grown in a cool area of the Umpqua Valley, it was planted in 1975 to Pommard and Chardonnay, the Chard was then grafted to Dijon 115.
I make wine from Olalla because it is an older vineyard, and because it is different from what we get in the Willamette valley.
many vintages it is the last fruit I bring in... after the Willamette Valley fruit... and it is not over ripe, it needs long hang time to soften the tannins and reach flavor maturity, even though sometimes the sugars get ahead of the flavors.
the grower is a retired musician and he does all the work himself on the 4.5 acres. he is now 84 years old! he looks 20 years younger...I enjoy talking and working with him.



Incredible about the Olalla vineyard owner, 4.5 acres all by yourself is very impressive. Thanks for sharing!