woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

Here's my pay-it-forward story for the day:

I open up wine.woot and see a pound of flavored butter for $35.00. Seems crazy, or at least extravagant. Read the board and many repeat buyers with much kudos. Think to myself - No way am I getting this. Then think, Hmm, my sister probably wouldn't splurge for this either, but, she really might enjoy it. So, I order some for her as a gift.

After lunch, the FedEx truck arrives with a package I have to sign for. I bring it in the house, and open it. The contents:
2 bottles of 1996 Corison Cab
2 bottles of 1997 Corison Cab
1 magnum bottle of 2005 Corison Kronos

Birthday gift from my brother.

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

Curses. I just recently spent money here on Woot and Amazon, and now wine.woot finally puts up a deal i have a difficult time saying no to. Y U DO DIS?

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
woopdedoo wrote:Here's my pay-it-forward story for the day:

I open up wine.woot and see a pound of flavored butter for $35.00. Seems crazy, or at least extravagant. Read the board and many repeat buyers with much kudos. Think to myself - No way am I getting this. Then think, Hmm, my sister probably wouldn't splurge for this either, but, she really might enjoy it. So, I order some for her as a gift.

After lunch, the FedEx truck arrives with a package I have to sign for. I bring it in the house, and open it. The contents:

Can your family please adopt me?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
woopdedoo wrote:Here's my pay-it-forward story for the day:

That's a heck of a birthday gift (Happy Birthday too!)!!!

I managed to pick up a magnum of 1994 Corison this summer, it's my first Corison cab. Was thinking about opening it for Christmas.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

This is yummy stuff--in for two! I think the folks blew through what I gifted them last year, so I'm getting a good start on this year's gifting! Just wondering if this is going to beat my mushrooms to the house? It would be great to use them together.

myfurandwiskers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myfurandwiskers

We love this stuff and I'm glad they brought it back. It will mold if left in the fridg for very long so after opening we press a piece of plastic wrap over the top and store it in the freezer in a zip lock bag for extra protection against freezer burn.

jonw747

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonw747
sumorez wrote:OK guys... help me out here.

I decided to jump on the truffle bandwagon about six months ago. We bought some Italian 10% Black Truffle Salt off Amazon that had pretty good reviews, and when it arrived, upon opening the container, I nearly cleared out the entire house. It smelled so bad that my girlfriend refused to cook anything with it. It's still sitting in a drawer, away from light, in the refrigerator, in a glass bottle, inside another glass bottle, figuring that it wouldn't stink up the fridge that way.

I know different people react differently to things. But this has been unanimous... it stinks something fierce.

Is this "normal"? I even thought maybe I got a bad batch at first, since everyone seems to love the stuff, but everybody who comes over and smells the jar absolutely finds it revolting.

I almost feel like I'm missing out on something but don't want to spend $35 to get stinky butter that nobody will eat.

Well, truffles definitely have a strong odor, and one that attracts pigs at that.

When someone joked about that a couple of woots ago, I dismissed it and decided to give it a shot.

I wouldn't say the truffle butter stinked up the house, but we didn't especially care for it.

So, I don't know if it's an acquired taste for some, or maybe it's one of those things you have a taste for or you don't, but suffice it to say there's no guarantee you'll love it especially if you found the truffle salt revolting.

badfish24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badfish24

So I reside in one of those wheat grass states that won't allow wine to be shipped into it. I would really love some truffle butter, but since it's coming from wine.woot, I'm afraid it won't make it to me. Thoughts?

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
badfish24 wrote:So I reside in one of those wheat grass states that won't allow wine to be shipped into it. I would really love some truffle butter, but since it's coming from wine.woot, I'm afraid it won't make it to me. Thoughts?

It's food, so the wine rules aren't supposed to apply...

CatherineB

quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB
cynthylee wrote:It's food, so the wine rules aren't supposed to apply...

Quite right; if you look at the blog, no rules and no list of states being shipped to. Order away to your heart's content!

*WOOT!*

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex
harmonious2 wrote:Are you Cesare's Mom? Why are you always so worried about him?

It was an inside joke.

kpscharrison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpscharrison

Are these significantly different than the grilling butters? (in taste, texture, anything?)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I should know better than to read the comments about something I didn't figure on buying. You people have convinced me.

I will hold each and every one of you responsible if I don't like this stuff. But if history repeats itself, given my experience with other food offerings here, that won't be an issue.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

nothinbutbirds

quality posts: 36 Private Messages nothinbutbirds
kpscharrison wrote:Are these significantly different than the grilling butters? (in taste, texture, anything?)

Black & White truffle butters are identical. Just a different package & size. We have 2 extra flavors in the grilling format: Herb with Meyer lemon and Smokey BBQ.

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
auxdelices wrote:Butter offers a dimension that the oils do not: unctous, creamy, mouthfeel. Ever eat a pat of butter when you were a kid? Letting it melt on your tongue and trying to make it last? Try THAT with oil!

Exactly; that's why the order is already in!

By the way, is the butter base you use organic and rBST free?

nothinbutbirds

lll0228 wrote:Exactly; that's why the order is already in!

By the way, is the butter base you use organic and rBST free?

It's made with natural creamery butter from rBST free cows, which is also Kosher. We're still working on organic!
Thanks for your support!

editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid
sunnyx0r wrote:Went and looked up my old Fedex tracking. Six full (not business) days from "Shipment information sent" to delivery. That was from NJ to WI, for reference. So if you want this by Thanksgiving and you live on the West Coast... maybe I need to amend my "don't sweat it" statement.

Edit: According to the post above, farther destinations ship 2nd day. So, I stand by my initial statement.

If I can kick in an additional experience: If FedEx attempts delivery on Wednesday and you aren't there, your delivery may kick back to the depot for a few days. I still have plenty of AdD's fine product from my previous orders, but knowing that I have to work a half-day Wednesday and run a bunch of errands on my way home, I wouldn't order a perishable, even being shipped two-day on Monday, unless I knew it would be left on the first attempt without a signature or door tag. My understanding's that some delivery people have some discretion on these issues so, as real as it is, do take my experience with a dash of sea salt; you may want to call your local FedEx depot or see if their Web site has any options.

andrea4736

quality posts: 3 Private Messages andrea4736

I bought a 4-pack of butters in a previous Woot and the white and black truffle butters were BY FAR my favorite! I use them in everything I cook and they truly do enhance the flavor. I highly recommend them when cooking vegetables, in baked potatoes, and they are completely delicious when you cook them with a steak!

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1
epistemologonhere wrote:Look! Home woot today has a Haier Aficionado 12-Bottle Stainless Steel Wine Cellar

at last, for some people who were asking!

That would barely hold my last wine.woot purchase! I might have to go in for 3 (or 12).

nothinbutbirds

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful positive feedback you are sharing with fellow wooters. I've always believed we were not just in the food business, but in the business of making people happy. Cheers!

auxdelices

quality posts: 64 Private Messages auxdelices
psm321 wrote:I don't see an ingredients list... is this vegetarian? I would presume so, but you never know...

Yes

auxdelices

quality posts: 64 Private Messages auxdelices
wineyum wrote:These are delicious! Like others, I still have some left in my freezer from last year, and they still are tasty. Nightghost (sigh, I miss that guy) linked to a great easy pasta recipe of the Barefoot Contessa's last year. It is very good, though I think it is too rich as written in the recipe and I cut the butter and cream probably in half. It is good with any pasta, IMHO. Takes 20 minutes to prepare, and voila, delicioso! I have no linking skills, but here goes... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tagliarelle-with-truffle-butter-recipe/index.html

We were also missing him...always the first guy on.

poolgirlblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poolgirlblue

OOo just in time for the Truffle Butter roast Turkey recipe I saw the other day on the food network : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roast-turkey-with-truffle-butter-recipe/index.html

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2
nothinbutbirds wrote:For far away points (we ship from New Jersey) it ships Fedex 2nd day. We are shipping Monday Nov 21, so you should be fine.

Last time Fedex wouldn't leave the butter without a signature. If I miss it on Wednesday, then it will sit at Fedex until Friday!! Do you know if they will require a signature this time?

balls2thewall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages balls2thewall

I bought 2 sets last year and still have some left. In for 1 set now so I don't run out. Plus I don't want to miss the next time this is offered. It keeps perfect in the freezer, but will mold if left in fridge. Fortunately I didn't have to toss out too much.

My favorite use of either the white or black is on grits!!

But I also like on potatoes, pasta and venison. I just scrape off what I need while it's frozen, so there's not even a need to defrost it a little. Then it's right back in the freezer.

Good stuff. A little goes a long way.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
coynedj wrote:I should know better than to read the comments about something I didn't figure on buying. You people have convinced me.

I will hold each and every one of you responsible if I don't like this stuff. But if history repeats itself, given my experience with other food offerings here, that won't be an issue.

I too am weak, after reading the chatter. Didn't much care for the recent cheese offer, but in for two here, and will also hold responsible....

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

I have seen a few references to specific recipes posted on the Internet. Can some of the wooters give up their recipes for use? I have never used any form of truffles and need a push to buy. Recipes please?

mrabu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrabu
wineyum wrote:These are delicious! Like others, I still have some left in my freezer from last year, and they still are tasty. Nightghost (sigh, I miss that guy) linked to a great easy pasta recipe of the Barefoot Contessa's last year. It is very good, though I think it is too rich as written in the recipe and I cut the butter and cream probably in half. It is good with any pasta, IMHO. Takes 20 minutes to prepare, and voila, delicioso! I have no linking skills, but here goes... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tagliarelle-with-truffle-butter-recipe/index.html

what ever happened to Nightghost?

I just read they will be here for thanksgiving i am in

nothinbutbirds

jmdavidson wrote:I have seen a few references to specific recipes posted on the Internet. Can some of the wooters give up their recipes for use? I have never used any form of truffles and need a push to buy. Recipes please?

I would recommend to start simple: a dollop of Black Truffle Butter on a just grilled steak is an instant favorite, or a pat of White Truffle Butter on a grilled veal chop. Swirl some White Truffle Butter into any tomato sauce for pasta. Butter hot toast with Black Truffle Butter and dunk in soft boiled eggs (my favorite brunch!). Add a small teaspoon of Black Truffle Butter to a serving of mashed or baked potato. Before you know it, you'll find new uses for it! Bon Appetit!

nothinbutbirds

speedogirl2 wrote:Last time Fedex wouldn't leave the butter without a signature. If I miss it on Wednesday, then it will sit at Fedex until Friday!! Do you know if they will require a signature this time?

Perhaps leave a note to have it accepted by a neighbor?

nothinbutbirds

speedogirl2 wrote:Last time Fedex wouldn't leave the butter without a signature. If I miss it on Wednesday, then it will sit at Fedex until Friday!! Do you know if they will require a signature this time?

Perhaps leave a note to have it accepted by a neighbor?

Dreamer522

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dreamer522
jlf278 wrote:I still have one of the four from last offer. They are delicious, but i also use truffle salt with them in a dish to embolden the flavor. I used 1/3 of a container on a turkey and it came out wonderful. I'm pretty sure they were very cold on arrival with a cold pack insert. They keep well in the freezer, but after several months the truffle flavor does start to vanish.

Which one would be better on a turkey?

nothinbutbirds

Dreamer522 wrote:Which one would be better on a turkey?

Black Truffle, hands down. I still have vivid memories of my Mom when we moved into our new house in 1973 (this was in France). She declared that she would make a Truffled Turkey for her first dinner guests in the new house. Not only was the taste combo awesome, but the black from the truffles contrasted beautifully with the white meat! I wager those guests are still talking about that turkey today!

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2
nothinbutbirds wrote:Perhaps leave a note to have it accepted by a neighbor?

Neighbors have jobs like I do, so that would not work.

daehnolem

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daehnolem

I ordered this and put my brother's address on it because I was going to be there when it gets delivered. But now, I'm going to be staying home. How do I change the shipping address before it's too late? Halp!

daehnolem

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daehnolem

You can usually pick it up at their depot after a certain time. I've even arranged for them to hold it at the depot, so I could just pick it up when I was able to because I knew I wouldn't be home. Maybe that would work?

harperstewart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harperstewart

Has anyone gotten theirs? I haven't even received 'shipment confirmation.' I'm going to be really aggravated when it doesn't show up to my office, as recommended be done by wine.woot, before I leave for the holiday.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
daehnolem wrote:I ordered this and put my brother's address on it because I was going to be there when it gets delivered. But now, I'm going to be staying home. How do I change the shipping address before it's too late? Halp!

I think it may be too late, since I think they are shipping today (from the East Coast).

You can always try to send an email to Woot Service about it including your order number. Although I think I've heard some Wine.Wooters being able to change it to one of the FedExKinko locations using the FedEx notification.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
harperstewart wrote:Has anyone gotten theirs? I haven't even received 'shipment confirmation.' I'm going to be really aggravated when it doesn't show up to my office, as recommended be done by wine.woot, before I leave for the holiday.

Shipping today ....

nothinbutbirds wrote:For far away points (we ship from New Jersey) it ships Fedex 2nd day. We are shipping Monday Nov 21, so you should be fine.

So we should get it by Wednesday ... I hope.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

This is a repost for those with shipping concerns.

I'm just hanging out, really.