$69.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 3 Longboard Vineyards 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

I'm pretty sure I saw a segment on this winery on "In Wine Country." I record that program so now I'm gonna try to find it in my cue & rewatch it.

MaimeDaifuku

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MaimeDaifuku

Had me going for a minute. Thought it was Russian River Brewing instead. Sad.

dawgdave99

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dawgdave99

Consistently positive (although limited number of) reviews on CT for '06, '07 and '08, scoring an average of 89-90 for all 3 vintages.

$33 a bottle on the winery website but can be had for $21-$28 (before any applicable taxes/shipping charges) via wine-searcher.

Seems like a reasonably good QPR for a smooth drinking Pinot. That said, I am already well stocked with Pinots (and Zins) right now, thanks to wine.woot.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
goneferal wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw a segment on this winery on "In Wine Country." I record that program so now I'm gonna try to find it in my cue & rewatch it.

Pretty much no info about the wine. Typical for that program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-aPkljWyw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

javajnkie

quality posts: 16 Private Messages javajnkie

The winery's "States we can ship to" page lists WV. Was it accidentally left off the list here?

WV seems to be off the list more and more these days, but soon I'll be moving to the bluest state around when it comes to receiving shipped alcohol(Massachusetts). I'd really like to stock the cellar before I go,
so I'm hoping it's just a recurring oversight. I doubt it, but am hoping.

I understand the "stick-in-the-mud" state legislature issues, including the throwback Blue Law buzz-killers and the state-specific hurdles of regulations and often outrageous permit fees ($150 in WV). But I don't understand why WV is often passed up by wine.woot even when the winery is willing to ship to us. Do wines sold here fall under different and more stringent regulations even though they're shipped by the wineries? That's a serious question, although I know it makes me sound like a whiner and I hate that. I'd obviously rather be a winer (sorry. It's late and my puns are tired.).

Adjusting to life as a Mountaineer was difficult for me--a city girl through and through--but I did it. Until the Great Wine Drought hit.

Sorry this is so long. If woot adds WV to the list, I'll go drink my woes away instead of bugging you all about them in verbose forum posts.

I'd go do it now, but there's a wine shortage here.

nursedawn

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nursedawn

I live in a nanny state but that did not preclude me from gifting this good wine to a lucky son in North Carolina. Mahalo.

Chargerrt500

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Chargerrt500

I guess I've been away too long. What happened with the 3 day weekend Woot deal? Is it 7 Woots a week now?

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy

Oh my. No Georgia this time. And Woot is the only place I can buy wine on Sundays in this state!

kusjp092

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kusjp092

I was selected to rat this wine. I wrote the following prior to the woot! Coming up, so I wasn't aware of the price point beforehand. I will not be going in on this offer.

Again, I'm an Inexperienced wine drinker, so I stick to generalities when describing wine. Hopefully, you can get an idea though from my impressions. I tend to like syrah, cab sav and tempernillo, as far as reds go.

Longboard vineyards, 2009 Pinot noir, Russian river valley
Opened at 7:30
Color: Very light red, true to Pinot style
Smell: a bit of heat, Some berry coming through
First taste: very heavy fruit, not much in the way of tannins or structure
Finish: not much finish, does not linger

Not a lot of complexity, but a very drinkable wine. Definitely an every day drinker

30 mins in glass
Heat has mellowed, unfortunately, so has the fruit. Very non-descript wine.

With pepperoni & italian sausage pizza:
The heat helps the wine standup to the food. This wine may be better suited as a pairing with a nice spicy main course.

An hour in glass
Heat continues to mellow. Fruit has continued to come through.

Two hours in bottle:
Continues to soften, easy drinking fruity Pinot now.

Conclusion:
This is a solid every day drinking wine. I would say a good $8-$10 bottle. Probably an 82 or so on a ratings scale. Delivers the fruit without much noise.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
Chargerrt500 wrote:I guess I've been away too long. What happened with the 3 day weekend Woot deal? Is it 7 Woots a week now?

I think things changed the weekend of September 16. So, yes, now we have 7 days/7 different wines.

deguia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deguia

I live in Sonoma County wine country and I can honestly say that Longboard Vineyards has THE BEST pinot noirs I've ever had. This is definitely a tremendous deal for the quality of the wine.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
deguia wrote:I live in Sonoma County wine country and I can honestly say that Longboard Vineyards has THE BEST pinot noirs I've ever had. This is definitely a tremendous deal for the quality of the wine.

Says the poster with no woots..... hmmm.... Shill? You joined 4 years ago and only have this 1 post and never bought a thing?

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Very excited to see Longboard Vineyards here today. I've personally enjoyed their RRV Pinot Noir for many years (as well as 100% of their other varietals). Across the board, great QPR, labels with a story and cool folks behind the winery.

Cheers & looking forward to Oded joining the boards anytime now.

PS - Texas, here's your chance to buy up! Longboard isn't currently distributed in Texas.

WineDavid was my Boss!

TomRaz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TomRaz
trifecta wrote:Says the poster with no woots..... hmmm.... Shill? You joined 4 years ago and only have this 1 post and never bought a thing?

Trifecta, come on show some love here !
Maybe they have a windows computer that only works every 4 years !

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Says the poster with no woots..... hmmm.... Shill? You joined 4 years ago and only have this 1 post and never bought a thing?

Let's not go accusing shill on a 4-year old account. They might live close enough to visit to purchase. Could be an alternate account.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

Why isn't Georgia on the ship-to list? It's always been there! Did some buzzkilling state legislator screw me?

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
kusjp092 wrote:

I was selected to rat this wine. I wrote the following prior to the woot! Coming up, so I wasn't aware of the price point beforehand. I will not be going in on this offer.

Again, I'm an Inexperienced wine drinker, so I stick to generalities when describing wine. Hopefully, you can get an idea though from my impressions. I tend to like syrah, cab sav and tempernillo, as far as reds go.

Longboard vineyards, 2009 Pinot noir, Russian river valley
Opened at 7:30
Color: Very light red, true to Pinot style
Smell: a bit of heat, Some berry coming through
First taste: very heavy fruit, not much in the way of tannins or structure
Finish: not much finish, does not linger

Not a lot of complexity, but a very drinkable wine. Definitely an every day drinker

30 mins in glass
Heat has mellowed, unfortunately, so has the fruit. Very non-descript wine.

With pepperoni & italian sausage pizza:
The heat helps the wine standup to the food. This wine may be better suited as a pairing with a nice spicy main course.

An hour in glass
Heat continues to mellow. Fruit has continued to come through.

Two hours in bottle:
Continues to soften, easy drinking fruity Pinot now.

Conclusion:
This is a solid every day drinking wine. I would say a good $8-$10 bottle. Probably an 82 or so on a ratings scale. Delivers the fruit without much noise.

Thanks for the excellent rattage, i'm noticing that its an 09' do you take this as a drink now type of wine or a bottle that would be best cellar ed for 2-3 years?

CT

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

A little late to the party, but can we get some TA & pH numbers please?

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

evillica

quality posts: 4 Private Messages evillica

LABRAT:

sorry for the lateness of my rat! the 4-day old newborn in my house has given me very little time to sit down and evaluate, so here she goes:

pop and pour:
nice label, cork was a little brittle pulling out of the bottle. using the pinot/nebbiolo
glasses for this one. pours out the color of strawberry jello. slight wiff of booze with
berries and cedar box? definite red cherry taste. not a lot of complexity, but highly
enjoyable.

one hour later:
light and enjoyable quaffer. gonna pair this with leftover veggie lasagna and mac n' cheese, pairs okay-- maybe too spicy for the tomato sauce. i can see this going with a fatty salmon or sweet scallop.

smell is definitely more woodsy and spicy that fruity. drink is very smooth, but doesn't have a sharp acidity. strong red cherry flavor.

i'll post more if i can later tonight... cheers!

edit: *gulp* finishing the bottle. a pleasant spicyness, with a cleansing but not too strong acidity. cherry flavors throughout, but slightly one-dimensional. in the end, a good Pinot which i would rank JUST below the d'onstspille on the QPR ratio. thanks again for letting me rat!

kusjp092

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kusjp092
cortot20 wrote:Thanks for the excellent rattage, i'm noticing that its an 09' do you take this as a drink now type of wine or a bottle that would be best cellar ed for 2-3 years?

An interesting question. I think it would definitely improve with some time in the bottle. Perhaps it would develop some more layers given time for the acidity to mellow. I wouldn't say that timeline is much longer than 2-3 years though.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
texacaliali wrote:
PS - Texas, here's your chance to buy up! Longboard isn't currently distributed in Texas.

Darn, just missed this! I happen to be in Hawaii right now and did notice the Longboard Merlot at the ABC store so I might have to dig a little to grab a bottle of the Pinot.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington