$69.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 6 2010 Piro Piro Piccolo Pinot Grigio
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Very interesting, is anyone familiar with this winery or tried the Pinot Grigio?

Seems like it might be a pretty good deal?

Enjoying a glass of Meeker Pink Elephant right now

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

2010 Piro Piro Piccolo, Pinto Grigio

After 136 woot purchases (all but a handful made on Wine.Woot) over the last 6 years, I finally received my first golden ticket. On Thursday I was excited to see an email notifying me of my lab rat status for not one, but two upcoming offers. One was the Pinot Grigio being offered today which I immediately stuck in the fridge to chill and the other being a red wine for later in the week which I stuck in my wine cellar for a later review.

I'll start with a disclaimer, which the exception of the occasional bottle of champagne/sparkling wine my wife and I are exclusively red wine drinkers. When doing wine tastings I do generally try the whites though, although I don't generally have much interest in drinking an entire glass of any of them.

My mother in law stopped by with several friends on Friday and we were able to get them to join us in the tasting so we had a larger panel including some white wine drinkers.

We served the wine chilled in Riedel chardonnay glasses.

Initially on the nose there was a lot of citrus. On tasting it there was more citrus flavor, especially grapefruit, giving way to a more a more florally smooth finish. I also got a little bit of green apple. Surprisingly for me as I always think of Pinot Grigio as being sweet this wine was very dry. No oak here at all either. I immediately thought this was a Sauvignon Blanc with the dry citrus taste, as did the other tasters.

The overall consensus of the group was that it was a crowd pleasing dry white wine. It wasn't anything that anybody that tried it was going to seek out specifically but they all said they would drink it again if it were offered to them.

As for food pairings it would likely pair well with a nice sharp cheese and of course a white fish.

Overall a good value crowd pleasing white. I had 7 different people taste it and nobody found it objectionable and the white wine drinkers quickly finished their glasses.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 24 Private Messages rlmanzo

Brief labrat post:

Sorry for the short post but I'm buried under 14" of snow in CT with no power and a waning cellphone battery. My apologies.

Let me preface my comments by saying I am not a white wine drinker.

We drank the wine over two nights.

Overall a very pleasing wine. Wonderful aromas of green apple, mild citrus. Excellent mouthfeel and a clean finish.

It blows away most $10-15 whites.

Excellent with chicken piccata(our meal Thursday).

Highly recommended, if just for the amazing mouthfeel.

Is it broke or just fractured?

billmoore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore

Labrat Checking In:

Funny how excited people get when they find out they have won the golden ticket. There really was a golden ticket for Charlie (me) in the box. Prizes always make life fun!! I got two prizes in the same box.

Note: I am a normally a California Cabernet drinker and have little to no experience with a Pinot Grigio. Here is the rattage, I hope this is helpful in your decision process:

Nose:
Fruity, citrus with floral notes

Poured into the glass
It’has a wonderful mouth feel. Green apples, lemon, no oak, it's not wimpy, snappy acidity, crisp, fresh and bright, grapefruit. No sweetness at all.

Next Day (put under vacuum and in the refrigerator)

Same as before, just as good as day one ( never had wine for breakfast before, not offensive at all)

Opinion
Perfect with salads and light seafood dishes (oysters, clams on the half shell, shrimp, crab and lobster)
I had a friend taste it who is a Pinot Grigio lover, she said A+ one of the best she has had.
If your a Pinot Grigio fan, grab this offer this is a very good deal at this price.

Facts
Santa Barbara County
About $16-$19 a bottle from the from wine stores (plus shipping)
The grapes come from the Sierra Madre Vineyard in Santa Barbara, Part of the blend is fermented in stainless-steel tanks, another part is fermented in old oak barrels, fermented in a concrete.
13% Alcohol

I'll be checking back in Wednesday with a red report (yes, life is good)

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Brava! In per uno! Grazie....

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

mommybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mommybob

sounds delish - in for two! thanks, lab rats.

mbmiche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mbmiche

Apologies for the late rattage. After my nearly hundred-hour workweek, sleep caught up to me before I could finish my report.

I was super excited when I opened my e-mail last Wednesday (or was it Thursday… It has been a long week..) and found out that I would be a lucky lab ratter for a (hopefully) delicious wine.woot gem!

I have been building my cellar with the assistance of wine.woot (and at the behest of SHMBO) for a few years now, and have come to enjoy a wide range of varietals. White wines, however, tend to be the quencher of choice for my wife, and I prefer a chewier red. Unfortunately for you, she is pregnant (but yay me!), so you’ll have to take the commentary from the second string ratter this week (thought I’d get in my Sunday football reference—I intend to finish the bottle with some Fritos, French onion dip, and a little Redzone—A pairing not likely to be equaled for some time…)

Although I definitely enjoy drinking wine, rarely do I have to bust out words like minerality or mouth feel. But here goes (please forgive any misuse of the terms below)…

First impressions: Fun label with a touch of whimsy, but serious enough to know that this is not your garden-variety pinot grigio. No foil capper over the cork—unique. This wine must have a little personality. Rich straw color with a hint of green peeking through if the light hits the bottle just right. Can’t wait to get this into the fridge.

Later that evening:
Nose-very little quaffable aroma right out of the fridge. Some citrus coming through and maybe a hint of minerality (wet stone and cork), I asked the wife (who was more than happy to smell and may have even wet her lips…), and she said, “smells like a pinot grigio.”

Upon first sip (5 minutes removed from the fridge), Intense (like “wowza!”) lemon with a bright, almost overpowering acidity. Definite lemon rind on the back of the tongue and the mouth feel was crisp and slightly aggressive, but definitely not unpleasant. There was a slight spritz right out of the fridge hinting at freshness and the steel fermentation that faded as the wine warmed giving way to a silky smooth mouth coat. As the wine warmed over the course of an hour, the slightest hint of oak (very subtle, almost vanilla—maybe this was the wet stone I smelled earlier) peeked in to say hello. The “in your face” lemony citrus also slowly subsided leaving room for hints of lime and sour apple to poke through. I don’t remember ever drinking a white that evolved this much—definitely not a one note white.

Second glass (and no, a glass of wine doesn’t usually last an hour in front of me, but I am making the sacrifice for you…) There is a little bit more cork, oak and lemon poking through in the nose. The lemon is still aggressive on the tongue, but fades quickly in the mouth allowing more apples with the (very slight) vanilla oakiness that was just starting to appear earlier to dance around and be the star of the party for a while. The wine is still incredibly crisp and fresh, and the same enticing silky smooth mouth coat lingers after every sip.

The bright acidity and lemon of this wine would pair perfectly with a creamier sauce or a heartier white fish (an hopefully the French onion dip that I will be breaking in to soon…).

Final verdict: “Holy QPR wootman!” At less than $13 per bottle shipped, this is a screaming deal. I have never had a white that danced around as much or revealed as many layers as this one. As a primarily red drinker, this wine could make a convert out of me. If for some reason you purchase this wine and (on the VERY off chance that) you do not like it, whomsoever you gift it to will be extremely happy!

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy

"Just say the name, and you'll understand why we call these wines, "White wines that make you smile." "

Well, saying the name might make me smile, but I sure groaned when I read the following: "and often blend white wine into their red wines to lift aromas and carry the mid-palette."

Another attack of the egregious sin of confusing "palette" - that painter's mixing board with "palate" - of or having to do with the mouth or sense of taste.

Sigh. I'm afraid I'm turning into one of those curmudgeonly English language protective/corrective types.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mbmiche wrote:

Final verdict: “Holy QPR wootman!” At less than $13 per bottle shipped, this is a screaming deal. I have never had a white that danced around as much or revealed as many layers as this one. As a primarily red drinker, this wine could make a convert out of me. If for some reason you purchase this wine and (on the VERY off chance that) you do not like it, whomsoever you gift it to will be extremely happy!

Great rat reports!

i agree with the QPR. a nice wine.

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

I had no intention of buying this, but the lab reports were just too good.

In for one. Now i don't need any whites for 6 months.

mbmiche

Winedavid39 wrote:Great rat reports!

i agree with the QPR. a nice wine.

And thank you for the opportunity! What a great surprise and something to look forward to after a brutal week at work.

By the way, the wine does pair quite well with my Fritos and french onion dip too!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

This is a nice, tasty offering. Winemaker Mike Roth is also the winemaker at one of my current favorite SB/Santa Ynez area wineries, Demetria Estate-fantastic white Rhone varietals and Pinot Noirs.

Excellent QPR here.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

fred2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fred2001

Bought one due to the great LR reports (note to WD: pick me! pick me!). Thanks to all.

SPEED TO FIRST WOOT:29m 10.890s
FIRST SUCKER:johnnymercer
LAST WOOTER TO WOOT:fred2001

shamelessmeat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shamelessmeat

Don't see many wines without foils or was that just to make for a different picture?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

shamelessmeat wrote:Don't see many wines without foils or was that just to make for a different picture?

We picture them the way they come. A labrat above mentioned it too.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

fred2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fred2001
ThunderThighs wrote:We picture them the way they come. A labrat above mentioned it too.

Does that include the pictures that have half-drunk bottles?? :-)

See: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4498313

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

sipping on this bottle right now, it's been open for 24 hours. bright lemon-lime on the nose, very bright mouth-feel, flavors are strong through the finish. A perfect match this Sunday afternoon @ 5pm with my folks visiting from Texas.

Even better match with goat cheese drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and crisp crackers. Piro Piro is a new discovery for me and a happy one.

WineDavid was my Boss!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

gmartwines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmartwines

Hi Fellow Wooters, thanks to the rats for the positive reviews.
To those of you who purchased this sweet deal, may I suggest you consider this wine to pair with Thanksgiving dinner? Many somm "experts" insist the "best" wine to marry a Turkey dinner with yams and cranberry sauce is an Alsatian or German Riesling. Gobble-gobble day is a special American holiday and I support drinking handmade wine from the USA on this day. Certainly Zinfandel is a good option, but that can be heavy and doesn't match well with the salads or serve the white wine drinkers. The Piro Piro Piccolo PG is a wine that isn't oaky (as has been noted) like much CA Chard and yet has more body than most SB (due to lees stirring). And, it is a wine that you could go to even after feeling stuffed. In fact, I'd argue the high natural acidity of this wine will help digest food and allay the tryptophan coma.

Pinot Grigio is a huge market because it is so easy to like as a varietal. Unfortunately, there are a host of insipid Italian PG's on the market. Come back to California PG and try this wine. I'm confident you'll be pleased.

Thanks for your support of my wine dream.

Greg Martellotto, winemaker

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
gmartwines wrote:Hi Fellow Wooters, thanks to the rats for the positive reviews.
T
Thanks for your support of my wine dream.

Greg Martellotto, winemaker

Can't wait to try it!!!

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

mbmiche

gmartwines wrote:Hi Fellow Wooters, thanks to the rats for the positive reviews.

Greg,

Thanks for introducing us to your fantastic PG through woot. I had the privilege of ratting for this offer, and I was truly impressed by the bold flavors and complexity in this white. As someone who usually stays away from whites unless I am sipping with my wife on a hot summer day, I appreciate the more assertive nature of this juice and definitely agree that this would hold up nicely against a Turkey day spread, maybe even elevate my aunt Mary's green bean casserole (with those delicious french fried onions...).

Thanks again!

jhkey

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey

wow, I needed some white wine - we're hosting 24 for Thanksgiving - and I just jumped on here on a Sunday because I rarely remember we now have 3 deals over the weekend - great rat reports. I'm in!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

i'm in for 1.
My wife is running low on whites and this looks to fit the bill perfectly. Heavier than a typical SB but not oaky like a chard.

CT

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

Yeah, can't argue with the rats on this one. In for one.

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

redstoneprime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redstoneprime

I am surprised to be the first one to ask, but what is the window on this? It sounds amazing right now of course, but in a year or two? Just curious.

Also, thanks to the wonderful Ratters... In for two.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
redstoneprime wrote:I am surprised to be the first one to ask, but what is the window on this? It sounds amazing right now of course, but in a year or two? Just curious.

Also, thanks to the wonderful Ratters... In for two.

Haven't tasted it, but from my experience with PG paired with the reports of such high acidity, I'd say this could be held for another year, easily, perhaps even another after that.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fred2001 wrote:Does that include the pictures that have half-drunk bottles?? :-)

See: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4498313

That would be called testing.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:

clue?

P.S. i love you.

mochamix79

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79

Bummer! This sounds amazing. but with a sick cat at the vet, I have to be a bit more "picky" on my wines I purchase. Maybe this will see it's way back on a woot off.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Winedavid39 wrote:clue?

P.S. i love you.

Oh Really?? You couldn't post it sooner????

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Shoot, I missed it. Phone rang as I went to get my wallet/credit card and lost track of time gabbing away. This probably would've been a very nice Thanksgiving wine to serve.

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

solid QPR. I would definitely buy this again. Crisp and very refreshing. I don't typically drink whites, but this is good.