meremoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meremoll

My first woot! Excited about this. I found the lab rat's feedback very helpful. Thanks!

laguar1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laguar1
emeryestate wrote:I am about to go inside a tank here in a minute so to answer the question briefly, it is a series of volcanic soils that was at one time a quarry. Drainage is so severe that if we watered for more than an hour most of that water would end up at the bottom of the hill. All our cab vineayrds are south facing hillsides on really well-drained soils. I use irrigation as a tool to keep yields and berry size down at the same time keeping the vines heatlhy. Does that help?

Yes it does...and the Lab rats helped as well.
In for one

Emery Estate Unbridled Cabernet Sauvignon - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: Fathanar
Speed to first woot: 4m 20.787s
Last wooter to woot: laguar1

okiedukie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages okiedukie
okiedukie wrote:

Lab rat here, checking in after just getting home from an awesome 15-hour day at the office. (Ugh.) I’ll get my full write-up posted tomorrow morning, but I’ll throw out a Twitter-sized summary for now:

Well balanced and approachable cab. Fruit on the nose (plum & berry); high tannins; decanting helped. Quality matches price point.

It was a wonderful surprise to get the Golden Ticket on Friday. Long-time wooter, fist-time ratter. Life (and by life I mean work) has been insane recently…but you always make time for wine. Even more lucky on getting a Cab! Personal favorite varietal and W.W has shown me some amazing Cabs (Corison, Jocelyn Lonen, to drop same names).

So, I got the Wine Buddy (WB) to come over for a tasting, with some pizza and football. The tasting was more collaborative than anything else, with our notes in general agreement.

Pop and Pour
The wine had a nice deep burgundy color to it. WB noted a “robust” and “fruity” smell to the wine.

On first taste, we both agreed the wine was drier than the smell indicated, as the tannins were very prevalent and leading the charge. I could feel the wine sitting on the sides of my tongue.

I noted there was a fair amount of fruit, but felt muddled and difficult to separate. I could only pick out some blackberry, and made a note of lemon rind.

On the whole, the wine just felt very closed, although not unexpected from a young Cab.

One Hour Decant
Ah, much better! The fruit was finally coming to the front on the palate, matching that nice smell we had been getting. We could both taste the plum and cherry. WB noted some vanilla. The tannins were still prevalent, though, and still leaving that dryness in the mouth.

Unfortunately, it appears that WB and I are both lush pourers, as we were down to about two swigs in the decanter at this point. So, the data ends here.

Summary
On the whole, the Unbridled was one of the more reserved Cabs I had tasted. The wine had a nice balance of fruit and tannin, but nothing in it had that “wow factor” (to borrow a catchphrase). But still very approachable and easy to drink. It was interesting to read the other rat drinking the wine over two days, with the second day showing off the complexity of the wine. I just don’t recall the last time a bottle went unfinished around my place.

For those on the fence, I’d say go for it. The price is about right and may pay off big time with a few years in the cellar.

billmoore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore

If Wine David says this is a good buy I am in for three (really). Now after all that sucking up and over a hundred bottles of woot in my cellar it is about time I was a rat!!! OK, maybe just a quality post.

P.S. I have never been disappointed with a woot wine purchase (man; if that doesn't do it I give up, but I will keep buying wine :-)

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
richardhod wrote:the Wm harrison cabs look quite ripe, though, from the invino descriptions today!

The 2006 is fairly ripe. But note the sidebar review that it's a hard in youth, tannic mouthfeel. Currents, blackberries, not drinkable now.

It's a big wine, but rigged to age pretty well.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

darylproductions

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darylproductions
It was interesting to read the other rat drinking the wine over two days, with the second day showing off the complexity of the wine. I just don’t recall the last time a bottle went unfinished around my place.

Oh, fear not, we opened something else after we stashed that away. Had to keep the night going...

emeryestate

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
okiedukie wrote:It was a wonderful surprise to get the Golden Ticket on Friday. Long-time wooter, fist-time ratter. Life (and by life I mean work) has been insane recently…but you always make time for wine. Even more lucky on getting a Cab! Personal favorite varietal and W.W has shown me some amazing Cabs (Corison, Jocelyn Lonen, to drop same names).

So, I got the Wine Buddy (WB) to come over for a tasting, with some pizza and football. The tasting was more collaborative than anything else, with our notes in general agreement.

Pop and Pour
The wine had a nice deep burgundy color to it. WB noted a “robust” and “fruity” smell to the wine.

On first taste, we both agreed the wine was drier than the smell indicated, as the tannins were very prevalent and leading the charge. I could feel the wine sitting on the sides of my tongue.

I noted there was a fair amount of fruit, but felt muddled and difficult to separate. I could only pick out some blackberry, and made a note of lemon rind.

On the whole, the wine just felt very closed, although not unexpected from a young Cab.

One Hour Decant
Ah, much better! The fruit was finally coming to the front on the palate, matching that nice smell we had been getting. We could both taste the plum and cherry. WB noted some vanilla. The tannins were still prevalent, though, and still leaving that dryness in the mouth.

Unfortunately, it appears that WB and I are both lush pourers, as we were down to about two swigs in the decanter at this point. So, the data ends here.

Summary
On the whole, the Unbridled was one of the more reserved Cabs I had tasted. The wine had a nice balance of fruit and tannin, but nothing in it had that “wow factor” (to borrow a catchphrase). But still very approachable and easy to drink. It was interesting to read the other rat drinking the wine over two days, with the second day showing off the complexity of the wine. I just don’t recall the last time a bottle went unfinished around my place.

For those on the fence, I’d say go for it. The price is about right and may pay off big time with a few years in the cellar.

Again, more really good feedback. I honestly do appreciate this, most refreshing. Cheers

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500
Winedavid39 wrote:Derek Irwin is a fine winemaker. i knew Derek when he was managing a gazillion varietals (and company drama) while at Viansa winery.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wine.woot Derek. Good to do business with you again.

oh, and this is a screamer deal.

WHEN WD SAYS THE DEAL IS "SCREAMER" IT'S MONEY.

IN FOR 3

Last wooter to woot: mandoo500

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
mandoo500 wrote:WHEN WD SAYS THE DEAL IS "SCREAMER" IT'S MONEY.

IN FOR 3

Last wooter to woot: mandoo500

you guys are killing me, already bought 1 but realize I might have to go get a couple more...............grrrrrrrrrrrr

fredrinaldi

billmoore wrote:If Wine David says this is a good buy I am in for three (really). Now after all that sucking up and over a hundred bottles of woot in my cellar it is about time I was a rat!!! OK, maybe just a quality post.

P.S. I have never been disappointed with a woot wine purchase (man; if that doesn't do it I give up, but I will keep buying wine :-)

go to winedavids post on page one and click on "sign up to be a lab rat" button

fredrinaldi

help, went back to purchase another and i get the message "Your account has already purchased this sale."

, do I have to change it to two on the left, and If so will I be charged for two more, making it three, or just two total? help want to pull the trigger before the sell out is posted.
thanks

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
fredrinaldi wrote:help, went back to purchase another and i get the message "Your account has already purchased this sale."

, do I have to change it to two on the left, and If so will I be charged for two more, making it three, or just two total? help want to pull the trigger before the sell out is posted.
thanks

I believe at this point you would have to contact the lovely woot! customer service folks and ask them to increase your order. Although beware, that doesn't work with woot!offs (unless you have the assistance of the wonderful Jim from Humanitas).

fredrinaldi

cynthylee wrote:I believe at this point you would have to contact the lovely woot! customer service folks and ask them to increase your order. Although beware, that doesn't work with woot!offs (unless you have the assistance of the wonderful Jim from Humanitas).

thanks I'll give it a try

fredrinaldi

cynthylee wrote:I believe at this point you would have to contact the lovely woot! customer service folks and ask them to increase your order. Although beware, that doesn't work with woot!offs (unless you have the assistance of the wonderful Jim from Humanitas).

Yo Jim from Humanitas......help

fredrinaldi

Thank you wine woot customer service, I now have a total of 8 bottles on order

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
fredrinaldi wrote:Thank you wine woot customer service, I now have a total of 8 bottles on order

This sounds like a great resolution!

I'm just hanging out, really.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Ffter woot's telepathic powers read my mind and offered a Cab the other day (the Chilean Cab) that I did not pull the trigger on, I finally find something worthy to pop on!

Last wooter to woot: clcaruthers

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

jimmoffitt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimmoffitt
fredrinaldi wrote:Thank you wine woot customer service, I now have a total of 8 bottles on order

Same here. Sure hope I like it!

emeryestate

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
jimmoffitt wrote:Same here. Sure hope I like it!

Please send me an email after you have the wine. I really would like to know how you like or disslike the wine. You can get to me via the website, www.emeryestate.com.

fredrinaldi

inkycatz wrote:This sounds like a great resolution!

It was, woot's the greatest, BTW enjoying a nice cab right now.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Don't be dawdlin'....it looks like this is gonna sell out. IMHO, it's a great deal.

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex
genemcsween wrote:As far as wine glasses go it doesn't really matter that much. Traditionally you are supposed to use the taller wine glasses for whites and the shorter fatter ones for reds. You can just go to your local box store and buy a 4 pack of wine glasses you like for $20.

You should store the wine on its side to keep the cork from drying out. You also want to keep the temperature around 55 degrees. You can store a bit warmer than that if you don't have anywhere cooler but never above 70 degrees. Store the bottles somewhere out of direct sunlight as that destroys the wine. You also want somewhere relatively humid 60-70%, again to keep the cork from drying out. Don't store anywhere where there are vibrations as the sediment won't settle in the bottle.

I was wondering about storage too. Thanks for explaining why they need to be laid down. Does the angle matter at all? I have a small wine rack that is full, but I've got some stored on their sides, inside a plastic crate tipped on its side. I guess I will need to find a place for the wine that is on its way to my house.

Neopluto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neopluto

Well now I know why people get wine racks.

Anyway... I was thinking of hitting this, but I hate to admit that I'm a girly Moscato-drinker...I've been avoiding cabernets like the plague ever since the last pounding headache I've had. (Anyone else get that after the first glass?)

Neopluto

emeryestate wrote:Ideal drinking window would be - now until 2014.

Can I just point out that the description says that it'd be good for a much longer time? Unless you're accounting for sedimentation later, which is kind of gross.

n44nc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages n44nc
Neopluto wrote:Well now I know why people get wine racks.

Anyway... I was thinking of hitting this, but I hate to admit that I'm a girly Moscato-drinker...I've been avoiding cabernets like the plague ever since the last pounding headache I've had. (Anyone else get that after the first glass?)

IMHO, once you start enjoying Napa cabs, merlots, and syrahs, it's really hard to go back to sweeter wines like most whites and moscatos. I know a lot of people enjoy them all, but again IMHO, once you acquire that taste, there's nothing like it. If you give these types of wine a try, let them breathe as long as you can. Give it an hour and serve around 59 degrees and you will likely be hooked.

As for headaches, not after one glass...maybe a bottle or two. I've always found that the better quality the read, the less likely you are to get that wine hangover.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Neopluto

n44nc wrote:IMHO, once you start enjoying Napa cabs, merlots, and syrahs, it's really hard to go back to sweeter wines like most whites and moscatos. I know a lot of people enjoy them all, but again IMHO, once you acquire that taste, there's nothing like it. If you give these types of wine a try, let them breathe as long as you can. Give it an hour and serve around 59 degrees and you will likely be hooked.

As for headaches, not after one glass...maybe a bottle or two. I've always found that the better quality the read, the less likely you are to get that wine hangover.

yeah, I've read about people having bad reaction to sulfites, but it's never with white wine I have this problem. I chalk it up to the "cheap french table wine" that my parents love to buy. God...
59 degrees without a fridge? That impossible unless I leave it outside where the hobos will pick it up. Ah well, no pain no gain

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex
Neopluto wrote:Well now I know why people get wine racks.

I love me a moscato! My favorite is only 4% alcohol. I can drink a whole bottle and be fine. Reds on the other hand often give me a wine headache after a glass or two. I don't know enough about wine to know why that is. Also, I have a medical condition that causes chronic nausea, and red wine often triggers it. There's got to be something to reds that whites do not have. I love a good red,but if I'm going to drink it, I lean toward dessert wine or fancy French wine. If it's going to make me sick, it better be worth it! No idea if I like cabs or not, so I am passing on this deal.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
cyclebex wrote:I was wondering about storage too. Thanks for explaining why they need to be laid down. Does the angle matter at all? I have a small wine rack that is full, but I've got some stored on their sides, inside a plastic crate tipped on its side. I guess I will need to find a place for the wine that is on its way to my house.

I've recommended this a couple times on here (and it was probably recommended to me by someone on here) for a great storage solution when you don't have much space...

Holds 60 bottles, only measures about 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall, and each row sits with a slight angle so the corks don't dry out. An absolute steal at under $70!

http://amzn.to/q4GAEC

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1

Emery Estate Unbridled Cabernet Sauvignon - 4 Pack
Last wooter to woot: stormn1

Was on the fence but it seemed like days since I've broken the SIWBM. Besides you can never have enough cab.

Neopluto

wow, taking the plunge takes a whole different meaning when it's 60 bucks out of pocket and you don't part-time anymore.
But I'll be giving one as a gift to aunt for lending me her stethoscope for 300x longer than I promised her for.
Now I'm not all talk anymore

n44nc

Bam!

First sucker: FathanarSpeed to first woot: 4m 20.787s

Last wooter to woot: n44nc

Last purchase time: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 11:58:54 PM Central

Time Order pace: 3m 33.172s

Woot wage: $938.21

Woots sold: 405

pcrawfrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcrawfrd

Late Lab Rat here. Thanks Woot for the bottle, but next time please correctly identify when it is going to be for sale. Email said Wednesday. In recovery all day yesterday from Monday night Foo Fighters concert so I did not even look at WW. Anyway, not that this will help sell more Unbridled at this point but...

In limo on way to concert six of us enjoyed a glass of this cab. Not a negative comment from the bunch. We're not a bunch of wine experts so the comments were broad, "drinkable" "smooth" "fruity" "delicious". Basically this is a very good wine and now I'm just upset I wont be able to buy three because I missed when it was on sale.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

pcrawfrd wrote:Late Lab Rat here. Thanks Woot for the bottle, but next time please correctly identify when it is going to be for sale. Email said Wednesday. In recovery all day yesterday from Monday night Foo Fighters concert so I did not even look at WW. Anyway, not that this will help sell more Unbridled at this point but...

In limo on way to concert six of us enjoyed a glass of this cab. Not a negative comment from the bunch. We're not a bunch of wine experts so the comments were broad, "drinkable" "smooth" "fruity" "delicious". Basically this is a very good wine and now I'm just upset I wont be able to buy three because I missed when it was on sale.

So yea, that's my bad.

thanks for checking in anyways. will keep you at the front of the list.

jimmoffitt

Any word on when this will ship?

jimmoffitt

jimmoffitt wrote:Any word on when this will ship?

Never mind, it arrived at my office this morning...

n44nc

jimmoffitt wrote:Never mind, it arrived at my office this morning...

Mine showed up today....Great Lakes area.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
billmoore wrote:If Wine David says this is a good buy I am in for three (really). Now after all that sucking up and over a hundred bottles of woot in my cellar it is about time I was a rat!!! OK, maybe just a quality post.

Got mine a few days ago and opened one tonite-I think this is a lovely wine and hoping to see it again so I can buy more.