PRODUCT: 4 2007 Unbridled Cabernet Sauvignon
CT link above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

Yum! This has my taste buds tingling!

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod

In the message, its like he is reading the description of the
Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

"On the palate, generous flavors of wild berry, bittersweet chocolate and earth tones"

and not Unbridled Cabernet Sauvignon
"th a nice nose of roasted herbs, coffee, black cherries and plums"

But the bit about approachable tannins is on target.

Its too bad I have racks of Cab Sav. Wine woot, we need MOAR Cab Franc here.

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

hmmmm taste like a $40 cab?
fruit forward, complex and velvety tannins

like the descriptions!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI Wine Wooters, Maryland was just added as a ship-to state. It was inadvertently left off the sale when it launched.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

I need another cab to stock up on, but my wallet screams like Hades from the hole woot has begun to put in it. I think I'm addicted to woot, and all of its awesomeness. Help

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Fathanar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fathanar

This is my first wine purchase and I hope I have chosen well. I liked the price and description so took the plunge.

A question or two thou I do have.

I need to buy a couple of glasses as I don't have any. Is there any features or beginner advice I should know before I look around in a store for some?

While I don't expect the 4 bottles to be around for a long time is there any storage mistakes I can avoid? I assume the fridge like my beer or the freezer where I keep my hard liquor isn't good. Just cool and out of sunlight good enough?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

emeryestate

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
Fathanar wrote:This is my first wine purchase and I hope I have chosen well. I liked the price and description so took the plunge.

I need to buy a couple of glasses as I don't have any. Is there any features or beginner advice I should know before I look around in a store for some?

While I don't expect the 4 bottles to be around for a long time is there any storage mistakes I can avoid? I assume the fridge like my beer or the freezer where I keep my hard liquor isn't good. Just cool and out of sunlight good enough?

okiedukie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages okiedukie

Lab rat here, checking in after just getting home from an awesome 15-hour day at the office. (Ugh.) I’ll get my full write-up posted tomorrow morning, but I’ll throw out a Twitter-sized summary for now:

Well balanced and approachable cab. Fruit on the nose (plum & berry); high tannins; decanting helped. Quality matches price point.

emeryestate

emeryestate wrote:

In regards to glassware, look for a standard burgundy and a bordeaux glass, red and white. This is a good start. Once you get into it a bit more then start getting pickier with glass shapes. The shape amazingly enough has a tremendous affect on the wine but start with the basics.
In regards to storing the wine, keep it some place dark and cool. No fridge or freezer please. Enjoy

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Sounds enticing - in for one!

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

On the fence--I've spent wayyy too much on here the past couple months; on the other hand, difficult to pass up an affordable cab...

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB
Fathanar wrote:This is my first wine purchase and I hope I have chosen well. I liked the price and description so took the plunge.

Seems my other reply was removed... so I'll just leave the invite out. If someone needs a invite, feel free to PM me or search the forums for one..plenty out there.

I'm a big fan of the set I got on Lot18. They are Schott Zwiesel Cru Classic Cabernet Glasses. Set of 6 for $78 and shipping.

There are also a pair of Bordeaux glasses by the same maker...I'll be buying those in the next day or so.

darylproductions

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darylproductions

Hey, I wasn't expecting this wine to come up until Wednesday (that's what my the email that gave me the exciting news that I was a Lab Rat said!), but it just so happens that my wife and I finished it off tonight so here goes:

First off, gotta say that whoever came up with the Lab Rat concept is a very smart cookie. I've enjoyed reading them to help decide whether to buy, and was very stoked to finally get a "golden ticket" myself. My wife and I both enjoy drinking and learning about wine, and we're usually pretty close on our preferences and our evaluations, but not always.

The package was delivered at my office Friday morning and we figured we'd let it settle in for at least a day before we popped it open. Also, figured that we should probably evaluate it over a couple of days, by itself and with a couple of different foods. Honestly, my first thought when I saw the bottle was "Cool, something from the higher end Wild Horse Unbridled label", since we've had some experience with those, but then I realized that it was from Sonoma not Paso.

We opened it on Saturday evening and poured two glasses, one through a Vinturi and one not. Initial thoughts:

Me-nice color with purple through the center and a slight red tinge on the edges. A bit hot (alcohol bite) on the initial smell and the first sip but that is to be expected. Getting lots of dark fruit. Some green characteristics are also showing up however, but not necessarily the classic good green pepper you might get in a cab. The aerated glass I felt, had a deeper and wider nose to it, but overall still had a tightness to it.

Wife-really likes the way it smells, dark coffee, blackberry jam, slightly floral? She pointed out some astringency and a "tanginess" that she didn't like so much. She said she didn't catch much difference on the aerated glass, but she had more reaction than I did on the non-aerated one.

Then we poured a glass so we could revisit it as the night went on and it had a chance to open up, and corked the other half of the bottle to enjoy the second day to see how it changed. I thought the tannins softened up the longer it was breathing, she didn't taste much difference. I found myself wishing it had a little richer feeling to it, but overall I had a positive impression of the cab.

Day 2-poured another glass and let it warm back up. Wow. Different. Strange, but the richness I was looking for is now there. There is more spice and some chocolate as well. Even got a little bit of eucalyptus. My wife says the floral aspects she was getting yesterday are now more pronounced and clearly a rose smell. The green character is still there, and the tannins feel rather soft. Nice acidity, but not gonna be your high end classic cab. Has the vibe of a good everyday kind of wine, and at the price I see it is being offered for I don't think you'd be disappointed. Lots of flavor, full bodied and a good mouth feel. I think perhaps the slight astringency keeps it from the next level. Definitely not one-dimensional though, it is interesting.

We tried some with a lamb sandwich, and the meat was just too much for the tannins in the cab. But when we paired it with a simple pasta with tomatoes, garlic, onions, mushrooms and rosemary, it was more than man enough to hold it's own and shine.

Thanks again for the chance to be a rat, we'd love to do it again sometime!

todd999430

quality posts: 4 Private Messages todd999430
darylproductions wrote:
Hey, I wasn't expecting this wine to come up until Wednesday (that's what my the email that gave me the exciting news that I was a Lab Rat said!), but it just so happens that my wife and I finished it off tonight so here goes:

First off, gotta say that whoever came up with the Lab Rat concept is a very smart cookie. I've enjoyed reading them to help decide whether to buy, and was very stoked to finally get a "golden ticket" myself. My wife and I both enjoy drinking and learning about wine, and we're usually pretty close on our preferences and our evaluations, but not always.

The package was delivered at my office Friday morning and we figured we'd let it settle in for at least a day before we popped it open. Also, figured that we should probably evaluate it over a couple of days, by itself and with a couple of different foods. Honestly, my first thought when I saw the bottle was "Cool, something from the higher end Wild Horse Unbridled label", since we've had some experience with those, but then I realized that it was from Sonoma not Paso.

We opened it on Saturday evening and poured two glasses, one through a Vinturi and one not. Initial thoughts:

Me-nice color with purple through the center and a slight red tinge on the edges. A bit hot (alcohol bite) on the initial smell and the first sip but that is to be expected. Getting lots of dark fruit. Some green characteristics are also showing up however, but not necessarily the classic good green pepper you might get in a cab. The aerated glass I felt, had a deeper and wider nose to it, but overall still had a tightness to it.

Wife-really likes the way it smells, dark coffee, blackberry jam, slightly floral? She pointed out some astringency and a "tanginess" that she didn't like so much. She said she didn't catch much difference on the aerated glass, but she had more reaction than I did on the non-aerated one.

Then we poured a glass so we could revisit it as the night went on and it had a chance to open up, and corked the other half of the bottle to enjoy the second day to see how it changed. I thought the tannins softened up the longer it was breathing, she didn't taste much difference. I found myself wishing it had a little richer feeling to it, but overall I had a positive impression of the cab.

Day 2-poured another glass and let it warm back up. Wow. Different. Strange, but the richness I was looking for is now there. There is more spice and some chocolate as well. Even got a little bit of eucalyptus. My wife says the floral aspects she was getting yesterday are now more pronounced and clearly a rose smell. The green character is still there, and the tannins feel rather soft. Nice acidity, but not gonna be your high end classic cab. Has the vibe of a good everyday kind of wine, and at the price I see it is being offered for I don't think you'd be disappointed. Lots of flavor, full bodied and a good mouth feel. I think perhaps the slight astringency keeps it from the next level. Definitely not one-dimensional though, it is interesting.

We tried some with a lamb sandwich, and the meat was just too much for the tannins in the cab. But when we paired it with a simple pasta with tomatoes, garlic, onions, mushrooms and rosemary, it was more than man enough to hold it's own and shine.

Really nice review fwiw.

bri42guy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bri42guy

Great year for the location, but I've been spending way too much on this site. Just bought the poizon yesterday. This is gonna be a tough one to pass on. Hopefully, it sells out quickly and then I won't have to make a decision.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Winery: pH numbers please? Also what would you say is the ideal drinking window for this wine?

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

ahwrenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahwrenn

Maryland + cheapish = in for sho!

sho = 1

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
spdrcr05 wrote:Winery: pH numbers please? Also what would you say is the ideal drinking window for this wine?

I'd be curious as well, but it would be idle curiousity: I simply don't buy Cabernet above 15% alcohol. Frankly, above 14.5% is a hard sell for me, and I look for Cabernet to be under 14%.

But, it's a matter of style, I suppose. Stuff like this is intended to be drunk currently, but these are simply not the flavors I associate with Cabernet.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
Fathanar wrote:

Welcome - try these - or any in this line (dishwasher safe yet crystal)

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-6501/Schott-Zwiesel-Diva-Full-Bodied-Red-Wine-Glass

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Time to light up Kansas...I'm in.

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween

As far as wine glasses go it doesn't really matter that much. Traditionally you are supposed to use the taller wine glasses for whites and the shorter fatter ones for reds. You can just go to your local box store and buy a 4 pack of wine glasses you like for $20.

You should store the wine on its side to keep the cork from drying out. You also want to keep the temperature around 55 degrees. You can store a bit warmer than that if you don't have anywhere cooler but never above 70 degrees. Store the bottles somewhere out of direct sunlight as that destroys the wine. You also want somewhere relatively humid 60-70%, again to keep the cork from drying out. Don't store anywhere where there are vibrations as the sediment won't settle in the bottle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Derek Irwin is a fine winemaker. i knew Derek when he was managing a gazillion varietals (and company drama) while at Viansa winery.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wine.woot Derek. Good to do business with you again.

oh, and this is a screamer deal.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

We've been adding glasses from Spiegelau's Vino Vino Collection via our wedding registry. They're pretty much the highest-rated glasses on Amazon and, having now received three different sets, I can vouch for their quality. Great weight, beautiful glass, should be perfect for good wines.

Here are some links to the sets we registered for...

Bordeaux - http://amzn.to/ozE3yn
Burgundy - http://amzn.to/r9S3V1
Red Wine - http://amzn.to/rqInLA
Chardonnay - http://amzn.to/pKtxh0
White Wine - http://amzn.to/npSJ4z

Each set of 4 runs in the $40 range.

They have other lines as well, but I just really liked the simplicity of these. Overall, everything from Spiegelau appears to be of great quality and value. Or, as we tend to say on here, great QPR!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

sdilullo

darylproductions wrote:

[sic]

Great rattage... thank you!

Per your notes about this going well with pasta, how do you think it would pair with a meatier pasta dish? We drank a bottle of the 2008 Pedroncelli Cab (offered on here about 6 months ago) with a meaty lasagna this past Sunday and it was a thoroughly delicious pairing. Might be interested in this if you think it fits that bill, since we don't have too many Cabs on hand right now.

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

emeryestate

spdrcr05 wrote:Winery: pH numbers please? Also what would you say is the ideal drinking window for this wine?

emeryestate

Ideal drinking window would be - now until 2014.

emeryestate

todd999430 wrote:Really nice review fwiw.

This is great feedback. As a winemaker we do not typically get much feedback that is actually constructive and detailed. Thank you for your notes.
If you are looking for a more classic cabernet with riper tannin and higher acidity, look to the Emery Estate. At a higher price point but more "classic". Thank you again for your input.

laguar1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laguar1

Hi Derek, Do you have any information on the vineyard(s) these grapes were selected from? AVA's? Thanks

emeryestate

laguar1 wrote:Hi Derek, Do you have any information on the vineyard(s) these grapes were selected from? AVA's? Thanks

Yes I do, how in depth do you want the information?

jwayner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jwayner

I'm really surprised at the tomato sauce/cabernet match that the previous posters seem to like. I've always thought that a high acid/low tannin wine went best with tomato-based Italian food - think Italian wine...

I'm a big fan of drinking whatever you damn well please, but the classic pairing of cabernet with red meat really works for me. Cabernet and pizza not so much.
Jim

sdilullo

jwayner wrote:I'm really surprised at the tomato sauce/cabernet match that the previous posters seem to like. I've always thought that a high acid/low tannin wine went best with tomato-based Italian food - think Italian wine...

I'm a big fan of drinking whatever you damn well please, but the classic pairing of cabernet with red meat really works for me. Cabernet and pizza not so much.
Jim

I think it depends on the dish. I would agree that traditionally a Sangiovese or Chianti would go great with most Italian dishes. However, in my admittedly limited experience a full-bodied Cabernet does pair nicely with the meaty, flavorful pasta sauces. The lasagna (recipe here) we had a couple nights ago was just excellent in that regard.

laguar1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laguar1
emeryestate wrote:Yes I do, how in depth do you want the information?

Not to in depth...but the more information you can provide the better. Soil type, growing conditions, why vineyards selected, etc??? Anything to help make the purchasing easier. Thanks

emeryestate

emeryestate wrote:Yes I do, how in depth do you want the information?

I am about to go inside a tank here in a minute so to answer the question briefly, it is a series of volcanic soils that was at one time a quarry. Drainage is so severe that if we watered for more than an hour most of that water would end up at the bottom of the hill. All our cab vineayrds are south facing hillsides on really well-drained soils. I use irrigation as a tool to keep yields and berry size down at the same time keeping the vines heatlhy. Does that help?

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
lurcher wrote:Welcome - try these - or any in this line (dishwasher safe yet crystal)

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-6501/Schott-Zwiesel-Diva-Full-Bodied-Red-Wine-Glass

Just picked up a set of 6 Claret/Burgundy glasses from Amazon for $60 as a gift to my wife. They've only been washed a few times, but so far so good. When you move a wet finger around the lip, they make a vurry nice noise that my 3 year old and I enjoy far too much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q91QZC

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

oh what the heck, whats another 50 bucks after spending 300+ during the woot off.
In for 1

jimmoffitt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimmoffitt

First wine woot! hoo woo.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rpm wrote:I'd be curious as well, but it would be idle curiousity: I simply don't buy Cabernet above 15% alcohol. Frankly, above 14.5% is a hard sell for me, and I look for Cabernet to be under 14%.

But, it's a matter of style, I suppose. Stuff like this is intended to be drunk currently, but these are simply not the flavors I associate with Cabernet.

the Wm harrison cabs look quite ripe, though, from the invino descriptions today!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

jimmoffitt wrote:First wine woot! hoo woo.

Congrats, and welcome!!

You won't be disappointed in this one. I had a taste a few weeks ago and agree that it exceeds expectations for the normal price point. and at today's Woot price, it's a steal.

Not over-powering, not too tannic, a nice balance of dark fruit and spices with a dusting of herbs. Substantial mouthfeel, but not heavy... soft and smooth with a decent finish. Very much a well-made, Sonoma Cabernet in my book.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...