joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123
SteveCousins wrote:Hey Rugrats, nice to "see" you again! I'm thinking about your idea/request. Perhaps our wine club discount (25%) plus Bruce and I can personalize the bottle for you...

Count me in! I was already in for three. Both my wife and my sister would kill me if I didn't buy this and I know how to take advantage of an opportunity.

protista117

quality posts: 1 Private Messages protista117

In for one!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

SteveCousins wrote:HEY! Where the heck did my avatar come from???

Good morning Steve! thanks for jumping on. One sign of autumn is Poizin on wine.woot.

Right as rain.

SteveCousins

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SteveCousins
joeman123 wrote:You can never guess what you're avatar will look like. I hope it is random because I would hate to think I've done something to deserve mine! You were probably thinking the same thing.

Hey Joeman, thanks for the explanation. Besides, I feel better now that I've seen yours!

momof2angels

quality posts: 7 Private Messages momof2angels

wine.woot - where were you? I just paid $27.99 for a bottle in NC for a party we were going to on Saturday night! I'm in on this deal!

VorlonBlue

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VorlonBlue

Lab Rat Report:
First, I'm thrilled that I was finally given a chance to Lab Rat. Thank you! My wife and I tasted both bottles Friday evening.

Antidote
We learned quickly 47°F is too cold for the Antidote, it completely hid most of the bouquet of this Pinot Gris. It was better at 55°F or so. The Antidote has a traditional cork stopper.

Color
A very pale light yellow.

Bouquet
It has a light sweet bouquet with slight floral/hints.

Taste
It’s a dry wine, very dry actually, with a very subtle sweetness, hints of pear and very faint star fruit notes and a slight minerality (chalk/lime) with an overall acidic tartness to it. We picked up a distinct not so pleasant metallic after taste on the dry down. As expected with a Pinot Gris we didn’t pick up any oak notes.

Poizin
We’re big Turley fans and love Zin’s in general but we approached this one with caution after our “Eh” Antidote tasting. All I can say is we loved the Poizin! Served at 66°F without decanting. We appreciated the use of a screw top, it let's me get to prize faster!

Color
A beautiful dark inky red almost opaque color!

Boquet
Hints of graphite with notes of dark fruit. (Think black berry, black currant.)

Taste
Wow! This is a young wine you can pick up on the tightness of the tannins right away. This will age well for the next couple of years but I wouldn’t push it too far. Jammy! There are clear notes of cassis, plum and black cherry fruit with a pleasant hint of oakiness. The finish on this is also superb and the wine opens up favorably over a period of an hour and it was fun to note how the wine got livelier as the night went on. This is a great example of a zin and the price is hard to beat.

momof2angels

VorlonBlue wrote:(Big quote, little post)

"this will age well for the next couple of years" - so does that mean that at this price it would be a good thing to buy extra for future years?

VorlonBlue

momof2angels wrote:"this will age well for the next couple of years" - so does that mean that at this price it would be a good thing to buy extra for future years?

If you're planning on consuming the Poizin in the next 2 to 3 years I think you'll be in for some great wine. I personally don't feel this will keep past 3 years though and will fade quite a bit.

momof2angels

VorlonBlue wrote:If you're planning on consuming the Poizin in the next 2 to 3 years I think you'll be in for some great wine. I personally don't feel this will keep past 3 years though and will fade quite a bit.

Thanks! It may not last that long, once we open a bottle for ourselves, tho!

SteveCousins

VorlonBlue wrote:If you're planning on consuming the Poizin in the next 2 to 3 years I think you'll be in for some great wine. I personally don't feel this will keep past 3 years though and will fade quite a bit.

Hey VolonBlue, normally I would agree with you. However, most of the 2009's (including this wine) are classically structured. The fruit got a ton of hang time, the growing season was generally "cool," and the acidity is solid. This wine will be wonderful in 2014 and probably beyond. When it does "fade," I believe it will do so slowly and gracefully. Having acknowledged this, the 2009 is rocking right now!!!

VorlonBlue

SteveCousins wrote:Hey VolonBlue, normally I would agree with you. However, most of the 2009's (including this wine) are classically structured. The fruit got a ton of hang time, the growing season was generally "cool," and the acidity is solid. This wine will be wonderful in 2014 and probably beyond. When it does "fade," I believe it will do so slowly and gracefully. Having acknowledged this, the 2009 is rocking right now!!!

Hi Steve, thank you for the reply. I do apologize, my previous reply may have come across as a bit harsh. What I should have said is that I think this wine will peak over the next 2 to 3 years (2014 and 2015. I'm pretty much considering this year as 2012.) I think the slightly lower alcohol content will help to keep this a "fruit monster" even when the fade eventually begins. (Nothing worse than the alcohol overtaking a wonderful wine as it ages!)

Again, I know we don't completely agree but I do agree with you that this will still be wonderful in the 2014/2015 range.

Thank Steve for bring us such a great deal!

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

I just found out it is woot's policy that the photo shows what they are going to ship and the text of the offer does not matter.

In this case the text says the vintages of these wines are 2009 and 2010. But the bottles shown in the photos do not have a year that is visible. How can we be sure it is the 2009 and 2010 that is really being offered for sale? There are no photos of the backs of the bottles.

With woot's new "the photo is what counts" policy and never mind what the text says, they could send a different vintage. As long as the bottles looked like the images in the photo, all would be OK as far as woot is concerned.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
stratma wrote:I just found out it is woot's policy that the photo shows what they are going to ship and the text of the offer does not matter.

In this case the text says the vintages of these wines are 2009 and 2010. But the bottles shown in the photos do not have a year that is visible. How can we be sure it is the 2009 and 2010 that is really being offered for sale? There are no photos of the backs of the bottles.

With woot's new "the photo is what counts" policy and never mind what the text says, they could send a different vintage. As long as the bottles looked like the images in the photo, all would be OK as far as woot is concerned.

Huh?

ruinous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruinous

My first wine.woot purchase... mmm, with Halloween in the air, cannot go wrong with this deal. Also, did a little shopping around and the cheapest that one bottle of Poizin goes for is 25.00. This is a steal.

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma
cynthylee wrote:Huh?

See http://wine.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4646854&PageIndex=2&ReplyCount=44#post4677374

Basically they shipped a different wine from the one they described in their offer. But since the one they shipped was the one shown in the photo all is OK as far as they are concerned. IE the text of the offer does not matter, only the photo matters.

SteveCousins

cynthylee wrote:Huh?

Hi cynthylee. I don't know what the wine.woot policy is regarding pics vs. text (and perhaps WineDavid can clarify that), I'll just verify that this offer is for 2009 Poizin and 2010 Antidote.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
SteveCousins wrote:Hi cynthylee. I don't know what the wine.woot policy is regarding pics vs. text (and perhaps WineDavid can clarify that), I'll just verify that this offer is for 2009 Poizin and 2010 Antidote.

Hi Steve! Always nice to see the winemaker here on the forum. I'm looking forward to enjoying both the Poizin and the Antidote! I wasn't questioning you guys, but the comment I responded so eloquently to. :-) I've never heard an wine.woot! issue about the photo not matching the description. Cheers!

SteveCousins

cynthylee wrote:Hi Steve! Always nice to see the winemaker here on the forum. I'm looking forward to enjoying both the Poizin and the Antidote! I wasn't questioning you guys, but the comment I responded so eloquently to. :-) I've never heard an wine.woot! issue about the photo not matching the description. Cheers!

Hey cynthylee! You're going to love the wine! Thanks for the purchase. Cheers!

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex
joeman123 wrote:You can never guess what you're avatar will look like. I hope it is random because I would hate to think I've done something to deserve mine! You were probably thinking the same thing.

Wish mine would change. I'm a woman, gorrammit!

SteveCousins

cyclebex wrote:Wish mine would change. I'm a woman, gorrammit!

You wanna trade?

PapaPerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PapaPerry
cyclebex wrote:Wish mine would change. I'm a woman, gorrammit!

You can. Click on your name next to the wine.woot logo. It will show your avatar with a link to change it.

PP

1st Bag of Coal 3/9/11
2nd Bag of Coal 5/11/11
3rd Bag of Coal 12/6/11

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

PoiZin was the wine that made me decide to start buying from Woot. By the time I had it arranged for my workplace to accept the shipments (back when there was only one wine offered per week), it was gone.

I never did buy it in succeeding years, but have just righted that egregious wrong. I'm in, despite the fact that my cellar doth overflow.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cyclebex

SteveCousins wrote:You wanna trade?

Yes, of course I do. That sounds fantastic! The unicorn legs make up for the head! Lol

cyclebex

PapaPerry wrote:You can. Click on your name next to the wine.woot logo. It will show your avatar with a link to change it.

PP

Thanks for the tip! Technically you are correct. However, I have decided that this one is the lesser of five male looking evils. Oh, well.

SteveCousins

cyclebex wrote:Yes, of course I do. That sounds fantastic! The unicorn legs make up for the head! Lol

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Must support Maryland shipping: in for 3

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
SteveCousins wrote:Hi cynthylee. I don't know what the wine.woot policy is regarding pics vs. text (and perhaps WineDavid can clarify that), I'll just verify that this offer is for 2009 Poizin and 2010 Antidote.

Hi there,

Before everyone starts getting distressed, please note that we are looking into the incident mentioned by the customer (which refers to another offer entirely).

In the meantime, buy with confidence!

I'm just hanging out, really.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Always love PoiZin. In for one set !

Had I ever solved my storage problem--still haven't found a well-built 250-300 bottle wine cooling unit for a reasonable price--I'd have been in for 3 sets (as would have both Rover and Fluffy in addition!).

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew

[quote postid="4678465" user="MarkDaSpark"]Darn it!

Armida Winery Poizin and Antidote - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: PetiteSirah
Speed to first woot: 1m 9.377s
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

Any idea if this will arrive before Halloween?[/q

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

SteveCousins wrote:Hey cynthylee! You're going to love the wine! Thanks for the purchase. Cheers!

I may have to bite the bullet in spite of the Gris. I have the '05 - '08 in the cellar and the one thing better than a 4 year vertical is a 5 year vertical. The last '06 I had a few months ago was considerable more solid than I expected it would be!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Yippie!!! This is one of my all time FAVORITES!! I have one bottle left from last purchase... I was saving it... If I didn't just get back from a weekend trip and spending more than I needed to ... I would have been in for 3, Oh well.. at least I was able to get 1!!! That makes me smile!!!

cyclebex

VorlonBlue wrote:

Lab Rat Report:
First, I'm thrilled that I was finally given a chance to Lab Rat. Thank you! My wife and I tasted both bottles Friday evening.

Antidote
We learned quickly 47°F is too cold for the Antidote, it completely hid most of the bouquet of this Pinot Gris. It was better at 55°F or so. The Antidote has a traditional cork stopper.

Color
A very pale light yellow.

Bouquet
It has a light sweet bouquet with slight floral/hints.

Taste
It’s a dry wine, very dry actually, with a very subtle sweetness, hints of pear and very faint star fruit notes and a slight minerality (chalk/lime) with an overall acidic tartness to it. We picked up a distinct not so pleasant metallic after taste on the dry down. As expected with a Pinot Gris we didn’t pick up any oak notes.

Poizin
We’re big Turley fans and love Zin’s in general but we approached this one with caution after our “Eh” Antidote tasting. All I can say is we loved the Poizin! Served at 66°F without decanting. We appreciated the use of a screw top, it let's me get to prize faster!

Color
A beautiful dark inky red almost opaque color!

Boquet
Hints of graphite with notes of dark fruit. (Think black berry, black currant.)

Taste
Wow! This is a young wine you can pick up on the tightness of the tannins right away. This will age well for the next couple of years but I wouldn’t push it too far. Jammy! There are clear notes of cassis, plum and black cherry fruit with a pleasant hint of oakiness. The finish on this is also superb and the wine opens up favorably over a period of an hour and it was fun to note how the wine got livelier as the night went on. This is a great example of a zin and the price is hard to beat.

Great ratting! Makes me want to buy now...

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
dandamedic wrote:This totally made my Monday... Love, Love me some Armida Winery poiZin!!
Definitely in for one ... If I was not going to Vegas this week I would be in for three!

If I didn't just get back from the Dominican Republic I'd be in for 3!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
Corrado wrote:I may have to bite the bullet in spite of the Gris. I have the '05 - '08 in the cellar and the one thing better than a 4 year vertical is a 5 year vertical. The last '06 I had a few months ago was considerable more solid than I expected it would be!

I admire your restraint! I "had" to drink mine.... It would call to me from the wine fridge...

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
Winedavid39 wrote:**** delivered by halloween ****

You had me at "delivered by halloween."

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: PetiteSirah
Speed to first woot: 1m 9.377s
Last wooter to woot: mikegberg

Also, I'm long overdue to be named a rat. Just sayin' is all.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

bluewave12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluewave12

thanks for the chance to be a labrat!

Comments on the poizin
"huh" (translation: did not like it straight out of the bottle)
"berry & spicy"
"I like it"
"full body, fruity"

"stone fruits, black pepper, medium light body, very easy drinking wine. Not as spicy or peppery as traditional zin"

Comments on the Antidote
"flowery aroma, lemon"
"not bad"
"I don't like whites"

Overall
Both were easy drinking wines but they were not very bold.  Overall we favored  the Poizin over the Antidote. 

Red: 3 thumbs up, 1 down. 
White: 1 thumb up, 1 neutral, 1 thumb down, 1 N/A (doesn't like whites)
Poizin bottle: 4 thumbs up

Edit: sorry everyone for posting a few hrs before the new woot - it has been a while since I bought wine before this last purchase so did not realize the offerings were daily (I got the email but had forgotten).
Also, opened up the 2006 I still had stored away and it is very tasty. Purchased exactly 4 yrs ago (it's still 10/17 PDT).

evilsweeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilsweeps

in for one! my first wine.woot ever hope it go's down without a hitch

ram3517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ram3517

I just ordered two for my sister's harry potter themed costume birthday party. She is turning 29. Where did I go wrong as her gaybrother? Sigh.....

KupoCheer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KupoCheer

How cruel is it to release the Antidote a year after the Poizin?

fuzzy103

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fuzzy103

Shouldn't the antidote be the one with the easy open screw top?