ToriiMor

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor
dsapp wrote:We didn't get any of the flavors you list, except maybe the vanilla. Maybe it had to do with a "phase" or maybe bottle shock from travel. We enjoyed trying the wine, but for our review, all we had to go on was what was in the glass.

If the wine has shut down and with the bottle shock from shipping, I think your review is probably spot on. You'll just have to take advantage of this offer, cellar the wine for a couple of years, and I'll bet you get a totally different wine when opened.

ToriiMor

The Torii Mor house style is based around balance and elegance offering pinots that are layered and intellectual. When the wine is in a tight stage it may be more evident than in other pinots or varietals. In a classic oregon year like 2007 this phenomenon may be more prevelant. I get to enjoy these wines all the time because I am the assistant winemaker at Torii Mor. I have been meaning to comment on this board all day but we are slammed getting ready for the 2011 harvest.

jhkey wrote:Great question, I'm interested to hear the winery's response. If certain Pinots also go through "dumb" phases, then I'm guessing it's probably a trait of all well-structured, classically styled wines?? Too much wine these days has too much fruit or too much oak, masking the subtleties. Maybe other wines also go through it, but you just can't distinguish it when you're drinking a 15% fruit bomb or some syrup that spent 2 years in new oak???

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ToriiMor wrote: I get to enjoy these wines all the time because I am the assistant winemaker at Torii Mor. I have been meaning to comment on this board all day but we are slammed getting ready for the 2011 harvest.

Thanks for coming on the boards with us... How is it looking for harvest this year?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

jdoerflein

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdoerflein

Having visited Torii Mor a few years ago on a trip through the Williamette Valley I can vouch for the overall quality of their wine. If you are in the area they are one of the best places to go for a tasting. Beautiful tasting room and grounds.

My wife and I were members of their club for a few years and enjoyed it. The wine definitely improved after several years in the cellar. More aging potential than most Pinot!

ToriiMor

neilfindswine wrote:Thanks for coming on the boards with us... How is it looking for harvest this year?

The 2011 vintage should be interesting, with it being such a late year. Grapes haven't started to come in to Torii Mor yet, but we are looking at the end of next week. Some other producers in the area have started harvesting already, especially for sparkling. The valley is looking forward to dry and warmer temperatures this week, so hopefully that will help get these grapes up to potential. Although vines have been holding heavier than normal clusters this year, we have thinned enough, that we should have plenty of quality grapes. Next week should give us a good indication. The winemakers have been spending plenty of time hiking vineyards and the crush staff has been busy getting ready. Hence, why we haven't heard much from the winemakers today....busy, busy, busy.

ToriiMor

I just wanted to do a last minute check in to see if anyone was on the fence or had any last minute questions before the offer ends. Thank you for all of the fabulous comments about the wines and the winery. We love and appreciate all our fans!!!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ToriiMor wrote:I just wanted to do a last minute check in to see if anyone was on the fence or had any last minute questions before the offer ends. Thank you for all of the fabulous comments about the wines and the winery. We love and appreciate all our fans!!!

Thanks so much for your participation and for making these great Oregon Pinots available to the Wooters!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
ToriiMor wrote:I just wanted to do a last minute check in to see if anyone was on the fence or had any last minute questions before the offer ends. Thank you for all of the fabulous comments about the wines and the winery. We love and appreciate all our fans!!!

Not on the fence, as I already bought. I just wanted to say "thank you" for doing another offering at woot.

rvellios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvellios

I was fortunate enough to have been to the winery several years ago while making a run through this area west of Interstate 5 and we thoroughly enjoyed their wine. Kinda out of the way, lots of dirt roads and seemingly endless driving. But without hesitation, I'll definitely be in for 1. These are more complex Pinot's than you typically see. There are many good domestic Pinot's, but I believe the Oregon offerings, in addition to Lange which is fairly close to Torii Mor, are more French in style. They also make a killer Ice wine.

ToriiMor

noslensj wrote:Not on the fence, as I already bought. I just wanted to say "thank you" for doing another offering at woot.

You are so welcome. We love the Wine.Woot community and the enthusiasm you all have for wine.

ToriiMor

rvellios wrote:I was fortunate enough to have been to the winery several years ago while making a run through this area west of Interstate 5 and we thoroughly enjoyed their wine. Kinda out of the way, lots of dirt roads and seemingly endless driving. But without hesitation, I'll definitely be in for 1. These are more complex Pinot's than you typically see. There are many good domestic Pinot's, but I believe the Oregon offerings, in addition to Lange which is fairly close to Torii Mor, are more French in style. They also make a killer Ice wine.

It is definitely a trek to get to us, but we try to make it worth your while...and Lange is right next door. I hope you can make it back out to visit sometime and if you do, mention "Woot" and we'll extend an extra 20% discount on your purchase. This goes for all of you Wooters.
Cheers!