Twitter
Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
9/14/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Are these hit or miss or bottles for 2007 Oregon? Really want to go all in right off the bat...

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

Wow, this looks like a good discount. Before (winery) shipping, a 45%-ish discount against retail (and CT prices, which are dominated by wine club members).

Outside my standard price range, but I may have to pull the trigger for some good Oregon PN. Hmm... Interested in hearing from other, more experienced Wooters, though. And I wonder whether we'll see rats for these?

(For reference: Eola-Amity, Olalla, and Chehalem.)

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

bcperlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcperlow

this is a siwbm breaking offer. love the weekend. cellaring notes seem off though. 2010?

scribbly

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
lassow wrote:Are these hit or miss or bottles for 2007 Oregon? Really want to go all in right off the bat...

I'm not huge on pinots, but pretty much every 2007 dundee area pinot I've had has surpassed recent previous years, if that helps.

slein

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slein

Lab Rat Report – Torii Mor – 2007 Eola Amity Hills Select – Pinot Noir

I should probably preface this by saying I haven’t found a Pinot I really like. I tend to like a fuller wine not a fruit bomb, but I tend to prefer the CA style wines over the old world wines.

I had to drink wine on the night it arrived as we were out with friends tonight. Upon opening the wine was so sour as to be undrinkable. Overall the wine seemed a bit thin, but sourness may have been masking other flavors. Decided to decant and let sit a little. Opening it right after shipping was not ideal, but logistics dictated it.

30 minutes later still very sour, but seemed to be mellowing. Decide to wait longer.

After 60 minutes in decanter the sourness was largely gone. To me the wine had little fruit flavor and reminded a more of a French style wine. Although it had more tannin/spice on the finish than the French wines I have typically had. The wine was quite dry long after a drink with almost a leathery or earthy taste. This wine had little detectable smell. The main aroma was a bit of alcohol (even though the alcohol % is relatively low).

Approximately 3 hours after opening and decanting the wine still had a pretty long finish but the tannins/spice had definitely decreased. Felt like there were not a lot of identifiable flavors. A bit of an earthy/leathery taste with little fruit flavor. Overall this felt like many Pinots I have had. That is to say a bit on the thin side for my tastes. My wife like it at this point, but had a hard time identifying flavors in it as well.

After decanting for a long period, which may not be necessary if the wine can rest a little after shipping, I felt this was not a bad wine, but didn’t really pull me in either. The tannins seemed a bit strong so aging a little longer might help.

chuck718

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuck718
lassow wrote:Are these hit or miss or bottles for 2007 Oregon? Really want to go all in right off the bat...

Josh Raynolds's reviews (for Steven Tanzer's International Wine Cellar; see below) and CT notes all sound positive. And it appears to be quite a deal: the Olalla sells for north of fifty bones, and CT lists avg price for the other two at about fifty apiece, even as the winery sells 'em for forty.

(Chehalem Mountains Select) Bright red. Sexy aromas of black raspberry and deeper boysenberry, with complicating notes of Asian spices and cola. At once juicy and smooth in texture, with seamless dark berry flavors lifted by a note of cracked pepper and framed by gentle tannins. Richer and rounder than most wines from this vintage, finishing with very good thrust and lingering sweetness. I'd drink this on the young side, for its supple fruit. 90 points

(Eola-Amity Hills Select) Bright red. Fresh red berries and mocha on the nose, with notes of cola and star anise coming up with aeration. A sweet, tightly focused midweight offering juicy raspberry and cherry fruit and a sweet kiss of oak spice. Loosens up on the finish and closes on a gentle red fruit note, with a slight bitterness. 88 points

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf
slein wrote:Useful rat report...

Interesting - and thank you for the prompt write-up!

Reviewing the Woot description and winery notes, it looks like the wine was intended to be laid down no longer than 2010 - and that would certainly explain the sale today. Between that bit of info and your report, I've got to wonder whether these are just (or quite?) past their prime. Hmm, indeed.

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2007 Torii Mor Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir - Oregon, Umpqua Valley

Having been a wine.wooter since my first purchase of a Chase Family Cellars
mini-vertical of Zinfandel in 2008, I was pleased to receive the opportunity to be a Lab Rat for the first time! I received a bonus package with my golden ticket, two bottles of varietals that, if made well, I really enjoy.

I opened the bottle at about 7:00PM, poured half a glass, and let it breath for about 15 minutes. I decided to pour the balance of the bottle into my decanter at the same time.

The wine has a beautiful dark ruby red color, and a swirl around the glass launched large, slow moving legs.

An initial whiff of the nose was very aromatic and balanced. Scrutiny of the bouquet gave me bacon fat (something I rarely find pronounced in California Pinots), big red fruit - sour cherries, a bit of ripe strawberries and cranberries, with just a hint of nail polish which I suspect was the alcohol (not in an offensive way, after all this is an alcoholic beverage). It has a big nose.

First sip and wow the tannins are big, but fairly well integrated, the wine is smooth with just a bit of tannin bite if you will, some might say it's a bit tight. The juice carries the alcohol well, not the slightest hint of heat, and while I wouldn't call it a fruit bomb, it is indeed very fruit forward with layers of red fruit - strawberry, cranberry, a bit of raspberry. I found it to be well balanced and focused. I suspect this could evolve nicely in the bottle for a few more years, although it's very drinkable now.

Interesting how the wine developed as it opened up, adding additional layers of fruit as well as a bit of earthiness to the equation. I'm finding this is really a very nice Pinot!

On the finish initially I got a bit of cherry cola (oddly never to return again), then ripe red fruit, and a tinge of tartness. Very enjoyable long finish, this is well done.

Although it's drinking great solo, it's time to pair it with a Cuban style dinner - rice and black beans, plantains, red peppers, and Cuban style pork. Interestingly the pork really brings out that bacon fat element of the wine, and the wine has enough acidity to hold its own, it's a very nice, albeit a potentially atypical pairing.

Conclusion:

I've only had a few Oregon Pinots, apparently not exciting enough to prompt further exploration of Oregon Pinot, but the Torii Mor Pinot Noir inspires me to further explore Oregon Pinots, I really enjoyed it. This seems to be a $55 bottle of wine on the Torii Mor website, so it'll be interesting to
see what Wine David was able to pull off for a QPR on this. If you like Pinot Noir, I would absolutely recommend giving this one a go, and trust me if it wasn't good, I'd write just that. I hope the second bottle in my golden ticket box is as enjoyable in its own right as this was. Thank you to all the great wine.woot folks for allowing me to enjoy some very nice juice, now and over the years!

PS - It also went nicely with Traders Joes dark chocolate

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven

Having been to the vineyard and purchased a number of Torii Mor wines I can attest to their quality. I believe it is some of the best Pinot Noir I have ever tried. I wish I could afford to be in for more.

Last wooter to woot: silent7seven

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

diligent fish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages diligent fish

Lab Rat reporting in:

I have waited years to become a lab rat, and when the day finally arrived, wouldn't you know it, I'm on vacation in Santa Fe. However, my parents and their neighbors were more than willing to partake in the wine. In true woot fashion, they wrote this limerick:

There was a young fellow so sublime.
Who signed for a box from Woot-wine.
He opened it quickly,
And aired it completely
But was it long before it’s true time?

We waited a while for the first pour.
Would the Pinot be bust or a Noir?
The cork was expelled,
And gave up a swell
Of grape that was short of the hour.

Now came the time for the taste.
Without going into much haste.
The swirl went around,
Without a drop to the ground
And let me tell you it wasn’t a waste.

But it’s time for truth-of-the-vine.
Is it a dry, full-bodied new wine?
The taste buds did cry,
It’s smooth but not dry,
And needed to wait at least nine.

We put this wine to the test,
From Willamette, out in the West.
So now in conclusion
We give our solution,
Torii Mor is a “silver” at best.

EDIT: This was the 2007 Chehalem Mountains Select Pinot Noir

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

I've been to Torii Mor 3 times over the last 5 years. We always come back with at least 2-3 bottles.

IMHO, the retail price is kind of ridiculous. Their wines are quite solid, but there are many other Oregon Wineries that sell better Pinot for cheaper. That said, I would certainly be in for 1-2 if I had ANY money to spare; at this price, I would hit it.

Most Oregon Pinot is made in more of a French style, but the earth is MUCH more pronounced in their wines. There is much more body to Oregon Pinot than French. If you love earthy dry Pinot, this is an awesome deal. I love the earth that Oregon Pinot brings naturally.

There are only a couple Cali Pinots that I have liked (Expression's Pinot is excellent). There are very few Oregon Pinots that I don't care for.

I'm envious of you that are in on this one!

CT Updating, please wait....

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

I haven't had any of these. But I live on the north end of the willamette valley (hillsboro) and have had my share of this vintage. It was rainy and universally panned at first, but I've had some great wines...very ephemeral. A function of not jumping the pick as I understand. So they're likely either thin and vapid, or elegant and lithe. And note that the umpqua valley is in southern oregon and a whole different climate, drier and hotter then most of the willamette, an emerging AVA. Hope that helps!

jockademian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jockademian

I have not had these particular wines, but I have had the pleasure in sampling Torii Mor Pinot Noirs over the years and they are always amazing. Very well balanced with fruit, spice and long tannins. Not like some pinots around now that all taste like shiraz (aka fruit bombs)

I kicked myself for not buying the wine woot the last time I saw Torii Mor (which was around 2 years ago) and so, even though I am trying to conserve my cash, I had to get 2 orders this time.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I'm crying that I didn't get a golden ticket!!!!

Our finances allow us to do just a handful of what I consider to be premium purchases each year; these I purchase for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, which are significant family holiday occasions for us. So during the year I look for the offering on wine.woot that I think will fit the bill.

The second wine purchase I made on wine.woot was a Torii Mor Deux Verres pinot back in Sep 2009. We had just visited the winery one week earlier because it is one of the favorites of DD and SIL. the Deux Verres was what we really liked, but it was beyond our budget. So we bought one of their other pinots that did fit our budget. But then, lo and behold, one week later here on wine.woot was the Deux Verres, for just a bit more than we had paid in the tasting room for the stuff we settled for. That took care of Thanksgiving and Christmas 2009.

Wine.woot then came through with another Torii Mor offering several months later, and that took care of Thanksgiving 2009, with a bit left for Christmas. Then nothing from Torii Mor for the longest period. So earlier this year I picked up some Cathy Corison's Helios, which I've set aside for the end of this year.

And now wine.woot comes through with some Torii Mor!!! In for one; wish I could do more but that's all the budget will handle right now. But I now have Thanksgiving and Christmas covered for this year!!!!

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Wow -
This is exciting to see on WW. Torii Mor makes great wines.
I wonder if there will be winery participation today? 2007 produced some of the best (and worst) wines that I've tasted in the Willamette. If I remember correctly, the late rain forced winemakers to be very careful with their harvesting.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT

Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reviewers: dsapp and “wife of dsapp”

Wine: 2007 Torii Mor Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Select (USA, Oregon, Willamette), Release Price: $45

Stemware: Reidel “Burgundy Red” Glasses

Decant: limited (15 minutes, then consumed bottle over next 90-105 minutes).

Shipping, Storage, and Temperature: Wine was shipped overnight via FedEx from California to Connecticut. It arrived “cool to the touch” at 1:30 p.m. It was then placed in 56-degree cellar for 4 ½ hours until decant as described above. Not ideal circumstances.

Disclosures: My wife and I greatly enjoy pinot noir and drink quite a bit of it during the fall season (Foxen and Roessler as our typical “daily drinkers” and Sea Smoke and Kosta Browne as our “special occasion” wines). We are most familiar with pinot noir from the Central Coast and Sonoma. We are not very familiar at all with pinot noir from Oregon like the one we are reviewing here, but we are open to trying it and learning more about it. As such, readers should consider us open-minded and curious drinkers of this wine, familiar with the varietal, and enthusiastic about the task at hand.

Comments on Wine with Food Pairings: Our Review

Pre-Meal: “Our First Impressions”

Comments on Wine: While the meal was being assembled, I decanted the wine and poured a couple ounces in each of our glasses. The cork removed cleanly with no issues, and the wine showed no visible sediment. Color was bright ruby to light garnet, with a gold tint. It was a very light-bodied pinot noir in appearance. Nose: for me, it was “library dusty with a little dark plum.” The nose was not red fruit-forward, or cherry cola like we sometimes get from some Central Coast pinot. It was also not the mushroom, earth, mineral, barnyard pinot we get from some Burgundy, and high-end Sonoma. It had a slightly grainy tannin structure. After our first taste, my impression was that this is a very muted fruit pinot that isn’t terribly complex. I wondered if it might be asleep. My wife picked up a slight hint of “green” (specifically not sprouts) and a little unripe raspberry, not sweet, and maybe a little maraschino cherry. No significant flaws.

1st Course: “Pinot with a Nice Stinky Cheese”

Stanser Rotelli, washed rind/reblochon-style cow cheese from Switzerland, purchased at Fairfield Cheese Company (http://fairfieldcheese.com/). No bread or crackers. Ate with a knife and fingers, the way it was intended.

Comments on Wine: My wife remained very open-minded about the wine, hoping that it would develop over time. After 30 minutes in the decanter, she reported something new off the nose: “a hint of cheese mold.” No, it wasn’t from the Stanser Rotelli. I asked if it was “good” cheese mold or “bad” cheese mold, and she said it was faint, but good. She was relieved that the wine was “doing something and showing a little more complexity.” But it took a lot of effort on her part. We agreed that this wine takes a lot of patience and open-mindedness. Fifteen minutes later, I managed to pick up a slight vanilla bean on the nose. The finish remained pleasant: not long, but it was dry and smooth. Again, no significant flaws. The cheese pairing was good, and the wine seemed to perform better with food than it did alone upon initial pour.

2nd Course: “Classic Pairing with Roast Chicken”

Rotisserie Free-Range Chicken with Lemon Pepper Rub from The Pantry (http://www.thepantry.net/). Again, limited use of utensils. Used knife and fingers to separate meat from the bone off fresh chicken.

Cut Green Beans from The Fresh Market. No seasonings.

Parmesan & Thyme Baguette from Patisserie Isabelle et Vincent (http://www.isabelleetvincent.com/). Used to sop up the juices from the chicken. No butter.

Comments on Wine: We continued to try our best to be patient with the wine. With nearly an hour in the decanter, the flavors were still quite muted, and to both of us, the wine’s appearance and style seemed “somewhat watery and diluted.” To make sense of this, we went to the winery’s website and read how the weather upon harvest was wet and that the fruit was a bit swollen as a result. This seemed consistent with what we thought was in the glass. Of course, some drinkers may call this wine “subtle,” but we thought it was overly so. It was “too wet” if that makes any sense. The food seemed too much for it, but it didn’t perform as well without the food. If I had to compare this wine to another one that may be familiar to some Wooters: In style, this pinot reminds me a little bit of the ’06 Roessler La Encantada Santa Rita, but, if I remember correctly, the Roessler was more expressive.

3rd Course: “Finishing Off the Bottle with a Cupcake”

A Gourmet Blackberry Cupcake, Origin Unknown.

Comments on Wine: We don’t often think of pairing pinot noir with either fruit or sweets, but this turned out, to our surprise, to be a successful pairing. After a full 90 minutes in the decanter, the final glass showed its best. My wife picked up some hints of meat, not bacon, but maybe some unseasoned smoked pork or a crock-pot brisket. I thought I picked up some black licorice gum too. It would have been nice for us to save a taste for the next day, given that the last glass was the best. But we didn’t do so.

--

Final Thoughts: “The Verdict”

We were very excited to have been picked to review the 2007 Torii Mor Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Select. We’ve been ordering wine from Woot! since 2006, and this is our first time being asked to perform this important task. Thanks for the opportunity!

So, what’s the verdict? First, we admit that our personal taste for pinot noir leans towards mushrooms, smoked meats, damp dirt from under a bush, coffee, chocolate-covered black cherries, and even that cherry cola so often present in wine made near Santa Barbara. The ’07 Torii Mor Pinot Noir offered none of that. Is that a problem? No. But this wine is subtle to a fault: so much so that we found that it lacked complexity and flavor. Maybe it is asleep or in a “dumb phase.” It appeared and tasted watery and diluted. That being said, for a very patient and open-minded drinker, this is an interesting wine to try, and I’m glad we did. It was an educational experience. For us, the style seems deliberate and it may in fact be a very nice example of how wine is impacted by weather during harvest.

While I won’t personally be ordering this wine from Woot!, it is an eminently drinkable wine. There is nothing offensive or “off” in its flavor. If you have the patience to decant it for several hours, you may be rewarded more so than we were. It would also be interesting to open this alongside a pinot noir of the same vintage and at the same price point from California to study the differences. I wish I had done so with a bottle of ’07 Belle Glos Clark & Telephone Pinot Noir sitting in our cellar. That would have been fascinating!

LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT

aeddie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aeddie

Labrat Reporting in:

Two deliveries from Woot wine in one day – a case of Cliff Climber White (brilliantly timed as my wife was hunting for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and Cliff is 88% SB (quite floral she said) and the golden ticket with a bottle of Torii Mor 2007 Chehalem Mountain Select Pinot Noir and one other bottle to be kept secret until next week.

Very exciting.

I bought 4 bottles of a different Torri Mor, the 2006 Deux Verres Pinot back in Sep 2009 mainly for Thanksgiving (Pinot being thought of a great turkey wine). I remember drinking this and I unusually posted feedback on CT “Had this with Turkey on Thanksgiving. Opened a couple of hours prior to the meal. The wine was very fruity to start with, nice finish and quite smooth. Lovely nose - a little cherry, some tartness. Beautiful color - pale cherry. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.”

This Chehalem like the Deux Verres is presented in a heavy bottle so it feels quite expensive already. The label says it can be kept for 8-10 years and only 326 cases were produced.
The cork is only marginally red with the wine, seeming to indicate that it is ready for a few more years of work. On pouring the wine is the color of cherry /raspberry, does cling to the glass a little on swirling with a nose of earth tones and chocolate. On opening it is immediately a little sharp, maybe slightly acidic to start but very pleasant, turns smooth quickly with a decent and harder finish. The label says 13.6% alcohol which feels right. Comparing this to the Deux Verres is difficult with the passage of time but I remember that wine being more cherry whereas this is more raspberry. The Chehalem to my mind is the better wine for that.

We had Mushroom and Chicken Risotto, which thankfully didn’t over power the wine but instead highlighted the smooth middle and alcoholic finish.

The wife likes this, which as a SB and Cabernet Sauvignon drinker and not usually that keen on Pinot is praise indeed.

So, to finish off, this was an excellent Pinot Noir, very drinkable on its own, even better after food (but could also be that the wine has been open an hour) and worthy of laying down for a few years. Worth buying? – very much so. Think of your turkey eating guests in a few weeks time and how pleased they will be.

Thank you Woot. See you next week.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
hogfatt wrote:I've been to Torii Mor 3 times over the last 5 years.

One does not simply walk into Torii Mor.

BrendaRichardson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BrendaRichardson

what the heck.. in for one. I've become quite fond of Oregon Pinot's as of late - we'll have to see how these compare to my favorites!

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Well, this made my morning. Agreed that this is some of the best pinot you'll find in the US. Expensive but worth it.

CT

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

I must say - some of the better rat participation I remember for quite some time!

Good job everyone,and great quality (though I'm on the fence now...)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

BrendaRichardson wrote:what the heck.. in for one. I've become quite fond of Oregon Pinot's as of late - we'll have to see how these compare to my favorites!

I share your fondness for Oregon Pinot! I've been looking forward to this offer.

As noted in an earlier post, a cool summer and pre-harvest rain made '07 a challenging vintage, but as always, the good producers react/adjust/work really hard/make less wine; whatever it takes to ensure quality prevails.

To me, these are three examples of the subtle elegance that is Oregon Pinot.

I'd love to hear what you think... I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

lurcher wrote:I must say - some of the better rat participation I remember for quite some time!

Good job everyone,and great quality (though I'm on the fence now...)

+1 (except for the on the fence part)

ToriiMor

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor

Good Morning everyone! All of us at Torii Mor are thrilled to once again be part of the Woot community. It's been awhile, but now we're back. I haven't gone through your comments yet, but I'm really excited to see what the lab rats think. This is a phenomenal deal on these wines. The 2007 vintage is just now starting to really open up and show it's stuff.

The winemaker's are busy getting ready for this year's harvest/ crush, but they will jump on the boards throughout the day to answer any of your questions.

Cheers!

majamaki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages majamaki

I've got too much wine, especially with 3 or 4 wine club shipments happening this month and next, however I can't turn down a good Oregon Pinot Noir, in for 1.

Terry Majamaki
Blogging @ http://majamaki.com/

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

ToriiMor wrote:Good Morning everyone! All of us at Torii Mor are thrilled to once again be part of the Woot community. It's been awhile, but now we're back. I haven't gone through your comments yet, but I'm really excited to see what the lab rats think. This is a phenomenal deal on these wines. The 2007 vintage is just now starting to really open up and show it's stuff.

The winemaker's are busy getting ready for this year's harvest/ crush, but they will jump on the boards throughout the day to answer any of your questions.

Cheers!

welcome to wine.woot! i've enjoyed your wines over the years.

WineDavid was my Boss!

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
dsapp wrote:LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT LAB RAT REPORT: WOOT

Excellent, detailed report! Thank you! I am starting to wonder whether the "best before 2010" is correct and not a typo as I originally assumed.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
michaepf wrote:Interesting - and thank you for the prompt write-up!

Reviewing the Woot description and winery notes, it looks like the wine was intended to be laid down no longer than 2010 - and that would certainly explain the sale today. Between that bit of info and your report, I've got to wonder whether these are just (or quite?) past their prime. Hmm, indeed.

Excellent question. I'm eagerly awaiting winery response. Though I've already pushed the stupidly large button, that may affect how long I hold them.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
diligent fish wrote:

Lab Rat reporting in:

I have waited years to become a lab rat, and when the day finally arrived, wouldn't you know it, I'm on vacation in Santa Fe. However, my parents and their neighbors were more than willing to partake in the wine. In true woot fashion, they wrote this limerick:

<< POEM SNIPPED >>

EDIT: This was the 2007 Chehalem Mountains Select Pinot Noir

Artistic ++ points for making it rhyme

Artistic ---- points for not much substance - it tasted like? it smelt like? Tasted over how much time? Did you decant?

Just my $.02 - take it for what it's worth

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ToriiMor

michaepf wrote:Interesting - and thank you for the prompt write-up!

Reviewing the notes, I can understand your confusion. What the winemaker is trying to say is that the wine really won't start opening up until 2010. (Laying it down until then would be beneficial.) I guess it's time we updated the notes. The wine is definitely not past it's prime and will actually really start to show over the next couple of years. I hope that helps.

ToriiMor

klezman wrote:Excellent, detailed report! Thank you! I am starting to wonder whether the "best before 2010" is correct and not a typo as I originally assumed.

It appears there is quite some confusion concerning the year 2010. Our winemaker was suggesting not to open the wine until 2010. These wines are just now starting to show some character that will develop even more over the years. That being said, I think I did see a typo saying "best before". We apologize for any confusion and want to ensure you all that the wine is definitely not past it's peak, but just now building up to it.

ToriiMor

After reading the lab reports on the Eola Amity Hills, it seems that this wine is currently going through one of it's "phases". I've noticed that for some reason, our wines from the Eola Amity Hills AVA seem to be very volatile, meaning that as it is developing in the bottle, it will be very expressive for a few weeks, then kind of "close up" for a couple of weeks and back and forth. This remedies itself with another year or two of aging. This wine is typically one of our most expressive with bold dark fruits, earth, chocolate / vanilla spice and some slight herbal notes.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
ToriiMor wrote:After reading the lab reports on the Eola Amity Hills, it seems that this wine is currently going through one of it's "phases". I've noticed that for some reason, our wines from the Eola Amity Hills AVA seem to be very volatile, meaning that as it is developing in the bottle, it will be very expressive for a few weeks, then kind of "close up" for a couple of weeks and back and forth. This remedies itself with another year or two of aging. This wine is typically one of our most expressive with bold dark fruits, earth, chocolate / vanilla spice and some slight herbal notes.

The 2007 Torii Mor Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir is drinking VERY well right now!

I didn't know that Pinot Noir also went through a "dumb" phase like some Cabs do?

I remember RPM saying that he used to pick up blow out deals on Napa Valley Cabs that were in the "dumb" phase because people thought they were going bad/past their prime, and that after he let them lay down for a few years to exit this phenomenon that the wines were terrific. Does anyone actually know what is going on when the wines in this "dumb" phase?

Actually a friend and I were debating the aging potential of Pinot, and didn't think that it benefited from long term (10+ years) aging. Any thoughts on the Pinot aging process as compared to the Cabernet aging process?

Thanks!
Brian

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
bsevern wrote:The 2007 Torii Mor Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir is drinking VERY well right now!

I didn't know that Pinot Noir also went through a "dumb" phase like some Cabs do?

I remember RPM saying that he used to pick up blow out deals on Napa Valley Cabs that were in the "dumb" phase because people thought they were going bad/past their prime, and that after he let them lay down for a few years to exit this phenomenon that the wines were terrific. Does anyone actually know what is going on when the wines in this "dumb" phase?

Actually a friend and I were debating the aging potential of Pinot, and didn't think that it benefited from long term (10+ years) aging. Any thoughts on the Pinot aging process as compared to the Cabernet aging process?

Thanks!
Brian

Great question, I'm interested to hear the winery's response. If certain Pinots also go through "dumb" phases, then I'm guessing it's probably a trait of all well-structured, classically styled wines?? Too much wine these days has too much fruit or too much oak, masking the subtleties. Maybe other wines also go through it, but you just can't distinguish it when you're drinking a 15% fruit bomb or some syrup that spent 2 years in new oak???

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
bsevern wrote:The 2007 Torii Mor Olalla Vineyard Pinot Noir is drinking VERY well right now!

Thanks!
Brian

We opened a few early 90s Oregon pinots at Easter this year, and they were fun to drink. Very little fruit, a whole lot of earth. Cerebral wines. I need to find some more.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

edlada

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edlada

Thanks!
Brian

I don't have any experience with west coast Pinot Noir however I have drunk many Burgundy wines from France from 20 to 70 years old and they age fantastically. Hard to believe a grape as delicate as Pinot Noir can age well but it does. I think of old Pinot Noir as an iron fist in a velvet glove. Old Cabernet is all in your face, complex, layered and structured, old Pinot Noir is very subtle and delicate and of course earthy.

My dogs like me, that is important.

Toscano1948

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Toscano1948

This is a good deal. I can walk to this winery, and I've had these wines. And 2007 has turned out to be an excellent year after all. I'd go for it.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp
ToriiMor wrote:After reading the lab reports on the Eola Amity Hills, it seems that this wine is currently going through one of it's "phases". I've noticed that for some reason, our wines from the Eola Amity Hills AVA seem to be very volatile, meaning that as it is developing in the bottle, it will be very expressive for a few weeks, then kind of "close up" for a couple of weeks and back and forth. This remedies itself with another year or two of aging. This wine is typically one of our most expressive with bold dark fruits, earth, chocolate / vanilla spice and some slight herbal notes.

We didn't get any of the flavors you list, except maybe the vanilla. Maybe it had to do with a "phase" or maybe bottle shock from travel. We enjoyed trying the wine, but for our review, all we had to go on was what was in the glass.