matt1976


quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

I've had the Ginjo, the pearl and the Nigori and they're all really good. I'd be in for 3, but I've got 6 months sober.

chemelf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemelf
Shadow12 wrote:Some of us just can't finish a bottle of anything in a reasonable time frame. (I will not admit to how many bottles have been poured out after only a glass or two have been consumed.) Can this REALLY be stored, capped, for 3 months? That would be HUGE for some folks like me.



I'd be a little more conservative in estimating how long these will last, opened, in the fridge. While sake won't really go bad in that time, the flavor will absolutely change the longer it stays in the fridge.

I've had the Pearl before, and, as much as I generally love sake, I just didn't immediately take to this one. So I put it in the fridge thinking I'd chip away at it slowly over time. Now, maybe this is because it's an unfiltered sake, but after about a month in the fridge, flavor-wise, it had become totally undrinkable to me.

That being said, I've definitely had other sakes hold up better in the fridge than the Pearl, but I'd say three months for an open bottle may be pushing it if you plan to still use it for sipping.

ChangoSHK


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK

hi everyone glad to have read of everyone's sake experiences, especially those who've tried this brand's offerings. thanks.

although i have a self-imposed wine moratorium, that sneaky wine-david found me a sake escape clause.

i just searched my liquor cupboard and found an old, opened bottle of sake- and found it was dated 1988- sheesh!

in for two sets. thank you, winedavid-san.

still doesn't solve my lack of storage problem (the reason for the moratorium), but at least in my head, they'll arrive in time for my birthday party.

steve

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Ok all you sake lovers.... I have only had sake once a long time ago and it was heated and nasty.... I am a red wine person.... tell me why I would like this.....it sounds good, but do I really want 6 bottles of something I am not sure I would like?

mdnorman


quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
mommadeb1 wrote:Ok all you sake lovers.... I have only had sake once a long time ago and it was heated and nasty.... I am a red wine person.... tell me why I would like this.....it sounds good, but do I really want 6 bottles of something I am not sure I would like?



Only you know what you really want, and I cannot tell you why you would like this sake if you are "a red wine person."

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey, did y'all see Allison's blog?

International Saké Day: Made like a beer and sipped like a wine.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
polarbear22 wrote:

Momokawa Silver
Sorry a late night with Bowtie's rapier wit and sake after menage a trois was too much and I overslept.

I was excited to be labratting a saké, particularly the Silver which is my favorite in the Momokawa line.

I tasted the saké three different times. I only pick up one aroma that I associate with saké. Reminds me of being in the woods after rain, so damp earth and organic. The lack of aroma may be the glass I used, since I couldn’t find the Reidel Saké O glasses.
Silver is their driest saké. It is very crisp and clean. We tasted something metallic, which they describe as steel. This is a very clean metal taste, not like sucking on a coin or something. There are just hints of pear that we picked up. We also could taste the slight brininess after reading their notes. It really seems just on the edge of the taste. Finish is nice and clean. No harshness of a cheap saké or alcohol burn.

This is my favorite saké for sushi. It cleanses and refreshes without having any flavors that would interfere with the fish. The other bottles in the Momokawa line get progressively sweeter, and I prefer the Silver and the Diamond for most evenings. Though the Ruby and Pearl have not lasted all that long in the past. And if I see the G Joy saké again, I will buy it in an instant.
A few years ago, we were in Oregon visiting the Willamette Valley for wine. We found ourselves in Forest Grove for breakfast, and I recalled it was the home of Saké One. I talked my friends into a visit and tasting. Turns out the other couple did not like saké. Thinking it was just that they never had good quality saké, they agreed to the visit. We tasted quite a range of sakes, including some of their imports and some saké cocktails. My friends decided it was a worthwhile visit, as they learned they don’t like good saké either. So saké is not a taste for everyone. But their son and I enjoyed experiencing a full range of saké at one time. The higher priced imports did taste better, but not in a way that shames the Momokawa. It showed us the QPR of the Momokawa, and that, like wine, there is something better that is worth paying for from time to time.



Great info pbear!!!!

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
mommadeb1 wrote:Ok all you sake lovers.... I have only had sake once a long time ago and it was heated and nasty.... I am a red wine person.... tell me why I would like this.....it sounds good, but do I really want 6 bottles of something I am not sure I would like?



Because WD want you to experience rice nectar, little tadpole.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
boatman72 wrote:Because WD want you to experience rice nectar, little tadpole.



Thanks, I love your answer!!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
sakeguy wrote:Quick moment to check and thrilled to see old friends answering sake questions. We have done well teaching and your abilities honor our hard work. We will keep honoring you by brewing Oregon craft sake (the finest domestic sake in America...hands down) everyday.

If the ball is bouncing it's time to get in....quick.



Ty ku sake from forest grove...affiliated?

oddly, the place I stopped had this but no Momokawa. I explained to the manager his offerings sucked at best

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:Ok all you sake lovers.... I have only had sake once a long time ago and it was heated and nasty.... I am a red wine person.... tell me why I would like this.....it sounds good, but do I really want 6 bottles of something I am not sure I would like?



you live in the humidity capitol of the world. You drink these ice cold, they taste good

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

seaSL


quality posts: 0 Private Messages seaSL

Ah, I've been waiting for some saké! Love this stuff.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:you live in the humidity capitol of the world. You drink these ice cold, they taste good



Thanks!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:Ty ku sake from forest grove...affiliated?

oddly, the place I stopped had this but no Momokawa. I explained to the manager his offerings sucked at best



I figured the same. Two sake makers in the sane city out of a dozen in the country?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mejojoWOOT


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mejojoWOOT

OK....I'm game....please advise what order to experience these, rather than just randomly neophyting them.

AhhGhost


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AhhGhost
mejojoWOOT wrote:Would any sake aficianados care to take a look at BevMo's sake offerings and advise if any of them are 'good? Most of it is very cheap except Tozai, Murai and Rihaku. Wonder if any are somewhat comparable to the offering, I could try some before I buy this.



lol I actually work for BevMo... Murai is excellent and I believe someone said earlier Pearl is always a good bet. I am horrible with the names but Tozai "well of wisdom" is tasty as well as one, I believe, is called Rihaku "Dreamy Clouds."

Crane of Dewa and Mantensei is good in my opinion.

Cheers!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mejojoWOOT wrote:OK....I'm game....please advise what order to experience these, rather than just randomly neophyting them.


Look at the SMV ratings. They go from dry to sweet. High positive is dry, to negative is sweet. The two organics fall into the spectrum of the other four. I think you should try from mid of each end and see if you like dry or sweet and go from there. See what you like and go from there.

This is a great set of sake for samples.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cyberanna


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyberanna

Jack Spline could drink no wine.
His wife ODed on beer.
And so when woot offered sake,
They gave a great big cheer!

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

big thanks to all the input, labrat reports & great questions today. I'd be shocked to learn if anyone else on the boards today has consumed as much Ginjo Sake as I have over the past 7 years. I say this because it's true what I wrote on the blog about the new Momokawa Sake, incredibly impressed, there is nothing on the market that comes close to this QPR. I am looking forward to exploring more of the SakeOne offerings.

I'm sipping on the next wine.woot! offering right now with a few BBQ spare ribs while watching the baseball playoffs (GO RANGERS!) tonight. A cozy varietal just in time for the cooler weather upon most of us...Kampai!

WineDavid was my Boss!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
texacaliali wrote:big thanks to all the input, labrat reports & great questions today. I'd be shocked to learn if anyone else on the boards today has consumed as much Ginjo Sake as I have over the past 7 years. I say this because it's true what I wrote on the blog about the new Momokawa Sake, incredibly impressed, there is nothing on the market that comes close to this QPR. I am looking forward to exploring more of the SakeOne offerings.

I'm sipping on the next wine.woot! offering right now with a few BBQ spare ribs while watching the baseball playoffs (GO RANGERS!) tonight. A cozy varietal just in time for the cooler weather upon most of us...Kampai!



PM for you

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Winedavid39


quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

boatman72 wrote:Because WD want you to experience rice nectar, little tadpole.



hah, love it. Thanks to everyone involved. I've always loved sake' day on wine.woot. and Bhodilee as a labrat? forget about it.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:hah, love it. Thanks to everyone involved. I've always loved sake' day on wine.woot. and Bhodilee as a labrat? forget about it.



I wish, I truly do. I even dressed down the manager of the place I thought for sure would have a bottle for not having it. Maybe I'll just offer to pay their application fee so they can ship to me direct. I couldn't have drank much of it though, I had other duties tonight.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Cesare


quality posts: 1565 Private Messages Cesare

What a great night! In honor of sake day, and our anniversary, we went to a
secret japanese restaurant and had some really nice sake (Ura-Gasanryu Koka Honjozo). Good thing I took a picture of the label! It was fruity and smooth and very nice with the food (not sushi). Also had a couple of awesome cocktails from the very cool and meticulous japanese bartender. Loved that place. must. go. back

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Winedavid39


quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

boatman72 wrote:Great info pbear!!!!



yes, very informative. good work polarbear.

tweirjones


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tweirjones
Geckotek wrote:Don't these usually sell for $12-$13? Doesn't seem to be a very good deal for an average sake.



After reading about this woot earlier today I found the 750ml Pearl at Wegmans in Northern Virginia this afternoon for $11.99 and bought one, I couldn't fathom six bottles just for me but the coincidence was too much to ignore. It is chilling now, I look forward to tasting it!

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
tweirjones wrote:After reading about this woot earlier today I found the 750ml Pearl at Wegmans in Northern Virginia this afternoon for $11.99 and bought one, I couldn't fathom six bottles just for me but the coincidence was too much to ignore. It is chilling now, I look forward to tasting it!



THAT DID IT!!!


I've resisted Dewey for years now. And his evil henchmen Bow-Tie and White Bear. Way back in the day I had sake. Hot diesel fuel. So awful that's I've never, ever had an inclination to try again. Awful, Awful, Awful.

But Dewey is an excellent advocate for his product and it has been difficult in the past to resist his poetic praise of sake. Fortunately, I lived upstate New York where his product wasn't easily available and I wasn't about to try any other brand. Nor was I going to invest in a woot shipment of a bunch of bottles that might just go down the drain.

BUT, NoVA Wegmans - I've retired and moved south - heck, I was going to do battle with the Sunday crowds anyway. So, I wrote "sake" on my list and set off through the drizzling rain and the fierce Sunday traffic.

Indeed, at $11.99 a bottle Wegmans had/has the blue bottle part of this offer. I bought the Pearl because I figured that if it was diesel fuel the chunks of slime might be interesting to clean out of the glass. And, one bottle could be mixed with rice vinegar for quick and dirty mirin if it was as awful as I suspected.

After enough chilling I poured a shot in a juice glass. Hummm, It looks just like sauerkraut juice - not a good start. Smell is pleasant. Read comments for the folks above. They are right on the mark about smell and taste. More so than I recall anyone being on the mark for wine. Great mouth feel. I could swish it around all day. Well, maybe not. The chill kills off the alcohol and there is no oily taste or feel. Just all the flavors that folks have identified.

I'm not a slobbering Bow-Tie sort of convert yet. But, I do like this stuff so far. At my store, by the bottle, I'm likely to continue as an occasional customer. Not sure about 6 bottles of something with a fairly short shelf life. We'll see the next time!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Lighter wrote:THAT DID IT!!!


I've resisted Dewey for years now. And his evil henchmen Bow-Tie and White Bear. Way back in the day I had sake. Hot diesel fuel. So awful that's I've never, ever had an inclination to try again. Awful, Awful, Awful.

But Dewey is an excellent advocate for his product and it has been difficult in the past to resist his poetic praise of sake. Fortunately, I lived upstate New York where his product wasn't easily available and I wasn't about to try any other brand. Nor was I going to invest in a woot shipment of a bunch of bottles that might just go down the drain.

BUT, NoVA Wegmans - I've retired and moved south - heck, I was going to do battle with the Sunday crowds anyway. So, I wrote "sake" on my list and set off through the drizzling rain and the fierce Sunday traffic.

Indeed, at $11.99 a bottle Wegmans had/has the blue bottle part of this offer. I bought the Pearl because I figured that if it was diesel fuel the chunks of slime might be interesting to clean out of the glass. And, one bottle could be mixed with rice vinegar for quick and dirty mirin if it was as awful as I suspected.

After enough chilling I poured a shot in a juice glass. Hummm, It looks just like sauerkraut juice - not a good start. Smell is pleasant. Read comments for the folks above. They are right on the mark about smell and taste. More so than I recall anyone being on the mark for wine. Great mouth feel. I could swish it around all day. Well, maybe not. The chill kills off the alcohol and there is no oily taste or feel. Just all the flavors that folks have identified.

I'm not a slobbering Bow-Tie sort of convert yet. But, I do like this stuff so far. At my store, by the bottle, I'm likely to continue as an occasional customer. Not sure about 6 bottles of something with a fairly short shelf life. We'll see the next time!



I take offense to that. I was slobbering long before I became a Sake convert

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SirVancelot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirVancelot

Can we still get this?

wr7en


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wr7en

Any idea on when this will ship?

The 7 is silent

akadanak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akadanak
wr7en wrote:Any idea on when this will ship?



I'm getting a little perturbed. My charge card was charged 10/04/2011 and here it is 10/10/2011 and I haven't received a notice of shipment yet.

BTW I have had this sake before and it is excellant so it is the service not the product that I have a problem with.

kwestf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwestf
akadanak wrote:I'm getting a little perturbed. My charge card was charged 10/04/2011 and here it is 10/10/2011 and I haven't received a notice of shipment yet.

BTW I have had this sake before and it is excellant so it is the service not the product that I have a problem with.



Agreed. They've got my money, now where is my sake?

Winedavid39


quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

akadanak wrote:I'm getting a little perturbed. My charge card was charged 10/04/2011 and here it is 10/10/2011 and I haven't received a notice of shipment yet.

BTW I have had this sake before and it is excellant so it is the service not the product that I have a problem with.



Good day.

Sorry for the delay. Tracking numbers are now established and packages are starting to move. west coast and midwest is moving out today. We are choosing to wait a few days to ship the east coast as there are a few hots spots still and we want to make sure they don't sit over the weekend. we have found motion is our ally when it comes to exposure.

this took a little longer than normal. again, thanks for your patience. Sake' is in good shape and will be well worth the wait.

Atomw7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Atomw7

I'm trying to think of a cool project to do with the bottles once I drink them all. Any suggestions? I was thinking some type of lighting, but it's all still up in the air.

jcharbo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcharbo

My order still hasn't shipped. What's up?

DennisWKam


quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

jcharbo wrote:My order still hasn't shipped. What's up?



It looks like your order was cancelled and refunded because that item isn't available for your state. Be sure to keep checking back though, you never know if another sake can be sent to you.

croettger


quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger
DennisWKam wrote:It looks like your order was cancelled and refunded because that item isn't available for your state. Be sure to keep checking back though, you never know if another sake can be sent to you.



Is that why I got refunded also? WI isn't allowed. Too bad I was looking forward to this.