sakeguy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sakeguy
SputnikHQ wrote:Have been out there and seen these guys in action: they are not playing! Their quality is most high and they really enjoy their work. They will take time to make a sake rookie like myself comfortable and explain things (nope, Sake isn't a rice wine sir, it is actually brewed like a beer", "no, you do not have to drink it heated in a cup like a 1980's sushi bar", Etc. And the samples...oh My! Great product by an American co. Giving it a go in the Oregon woods! Buy American! WhooHooa
Vegas

Can I quote you on this? So glad to see a few wooters who have been out to see us. Thanks for the props and so glad you enjoyed your visit so much. We do work hard to make the best sake in America and to help educate the masses. Thanks for spreading the word.

tommy5948

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommy5948

am i blind or is there no bottle size here ?

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

tommy5948 wrote:am i blind or is there no bottle size here ?

750ml

WineDavid was my Boss!

sakeguy

North316 wrote:So I have a question here, as I am not a Sake expert by any means. Do these age at all like wines? How long does a bottle hold up while unopened and how long does it stay "fresh" so to speak after it has been opened?

Sake is like beer in that when we bottle it its ready to drink. It will store for 12 - 18 months depending on the alcohol %. So, don't age your sake unless you want it to go more earthy and viscous. Buy it to drink reasonably soon and if you open a bottle but don't finish it you can cap it and store in the fridge for about 3 months without it changing much at all. But why wouldn't you finish the bottle.

sakeguy

All right wooters. I'm about to board and get down to San Francisco for Sak Day festivities. If you are in the area check out http://sakeday.com/ and come say hi. 100+ sake, food and education. And 100% of proceeds go to recovery efforts in Japan. Directly to the people who still, yes still, need our help. Kanpai to Sake Day. Get in on this woot......get in for two and have fun.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

sakeguy wrote:Anyone on the fence over 6 bottles and maybe thinking you won't drink it fast enough needs to think again. You'll finish a bottle faster than you can say Kuramoto and if you don't you'll be good to hold these for 6 - 8 months easy.

And, one of the wonderful things about sake is that if you don't finish a bottle once open, you can cap it and keep it in the fridge for about 3 months without it changing much. Sake doesn't oxidize like wine.

Get off the fence and get into Sake Day. Kanpai!

Happy Sake Day! Big thanks for piping in this morning!!

WineDavid was my Boss!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:We are sorry too. Bowtie saké rants are famous in the CyberPub. So he would have been a very popular labrat.

Then again, that may be why I got the Silver and not him. So a win for me.

there is never a day two for Momokawa, makes for interesting nights. Very little hangover, which is nice.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

sausage, egg and cheese consumed - and now it's time for some sake drinking!

Momokawa Ruby
10a:
This is the first time (to my knowledge) that I've had domestic sake, and I'm thrilled to be drinking it. We have a small Kyoto-style Obanzai restaurant on our block with charming owners and a well curated sake list. That's where all of my real sake knowledge comes from. So only recently have I started appreciating sake.

So back to the Ruby... the bottle immediately lets you know what you're getting into with "lightly sweet sake" on the label.

The appearance in the glass is clear, possibly pinkish. Perhaps I'm biased by the notes on the SakeOne website, but I'm getting ripe melon on the nose along with a bit of heat. In the mouth, it's a soft, medium body with perceptible sweetness and the flavor of soft ripe fruit. Ya know - overripe soft pears and bruised apples. I know that in fruit those aren't ideal flavors - but it's really nice here.

I want to have something to eat with this. Something to tame the RS. Having seen dozens of sake + cheese classes offered around town, I scoured our fridge for cheese. The only respectable thing however was some creamy, ripe stilton (yum). Nothing really heightened or overshadowed, but also nothing revelatory.

Here in NYC I can't find a respectable glass of sake for the price of this 750ml bottle. This is my first exposure to SakeOne - and I look forward to drinking more.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
sakeguy wrote:Sake is like beer in that when we bottle it its ready to drink. It will store for 12 - 18 months depending on the alcohol %. So, don't age your sake unless you want it to go more earthy and viscous. Buy it to drink reasonably soon and if you open a bottle but don't finish it you can cap it and store in the fridge for about 3 months without it changing much at all. But why wouldn't you finish the bottle.

Some of us just can't finish a bottle of anything in a reasonable time frame. (I will not admit to how many bottles have been poured out after only a glass or two have been consumed.) Can this REALLY be stored, capped, for 3 months? That would be HUGE for some folks like me.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I don't always drink Sake, but when I do, it is usually Momokawa Pearl or Momokawa Diamond.

mew5280

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mew5280

Sake novice here but I have been experimenting in the past few years as my local wine shop started carrying a pretty good variety of sake. Since I have a good friend who lives in Niigata, Japan, I recently bought a 300ml bottle (beautiful bottle and label, hard to throw them away) of Yuki-Kage (Snow Shadow) Tokubetsu Junmai sake for around $15-16 a bottle and it was awesome. If SakeOne is this good it's an incredible bargain.

RE: Storage, would you immediately refrigerate all 6 bottles upon arrival? And I assume store them in the refrigerator standing up?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

First post on the wine.woot side.

My hubby and I enjoy hot sake occasionally when we're out, but I know not all sake is meant to hot. Out of the woot today, what's the ratio of "you can drink it hot" or "Don't drink it hot, silly!"?

One poster stated that in order to really taste the notes and flavor, it should be sipped cold. I respect that, I really do, but my other half refuses to drink it that way. Currently we have some Gekkikan Black and Gold (we've had it in the past, World Market suggests drinking it warm), is there anything in the box comparable this week?

JBrach820

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JBrach820

As this is quite a bit of Sake, I figured I'd post this so y'all have an idea of how long it generally keeps for.
http://winerocks.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-long-does-sake-last.html

I will say that SakeOne makes some fantastic Sake. I love their Nigoris and the G Sake (not included in this deal) is out of this world. I'm very tempted by this, just trying to figure out if I could conceivably consume this much Sake before having to throw some of it away.

1randomguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1randomguy

Wine and Sake are great, but Scotch is where my heart lies... I hope you heard that Woot gods!

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Dang it! Saw sake and jumped on it immediately. I LOVE Sake One and have enjoyed all previous offerings. Now I see WI is no longer on the ship to list. This makes me very sad.

222 bottles and counting.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Moueska wrote:First post on the wine.woot side.

My hubby and I enjoy hot sake occasionally when we're out, but I know not all sake is meant to hot. Out of the woot today, what's the ratio of "you can drink it hot" or "Don't drink it hot, silly!"?

One poster stated that in order to really taste the notes and flavor, it should be sipped cold. I respect that, I really do, but my other half refuses to drink it that way. Currently we have some Gekkikan Black and Gold (we've had it in the past, World Market suggests drinking it warm), is there anything in the box comparable this week?

thanks for your first post here!

There is sake made especially for warming - they have a much higher level of alcohol and are served warm to dilute the punch. Be mindful of how the sake is labeled - all Junmai and all grade levels higher should be stored and served chilled like a white wine. The flavors in this Momokawa offering are worlds apart from the heated sake.

WineDavid was my Boss!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Drink all of these cold!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

1randomguy wrote:Wine and Sake are great, but Scotch is where my heart lies... I hope you heard that Woot gods!

Won't happen, unfortunately. Shipping laws won't allow it.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
rileyper wrote:

am i the only one who noticed this

fuzzy103 wrote:http://酒.woot.com/ actually works

and http://sake.woot.com/ actually works too![/quote]

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

goukanomegami

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goukanomegami
sakeguy wrote:Vegan friendly is an important question and I am sorry to say that not all sake is indeed vegan friendly. Very common, as in wine, to use gelatin as a fining process. Gelatin helps pull out any unwanted proteins from the brewing process and to clarify the sake. The vegan safe sake are the two nigori in this offer as neither goes through clarification.

Thanks so much for responding! I look forward to trying your nigori zake soon!

kylemittskus

I'm probably in. I shouldn't be, but what can ya' do?

rpstrong

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rpstrong
ROGETRAY wrote:

Oooooh... in for one.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Since you are drinking the Gekkeikan, I can understand the suggestion to drink hot/warm. Gekkeikan, which is produced in Folsum CA, and is, at least by my standards, a barely-acceptable-to-drink sake and something I would never consider serving to company do to it's harshness. Good Quality sake, as others have commented, really is best cold and will have absolutely no harsh edge or alcohol burn. Japanese wife brought home a bottle of something she got on sale once. Couldn't even cook with it it was that disgusting. She really should have known better, and that hasn't been repeated since!

Any nigori -absolutely must- be cold, and not consumed from a masu, but from glass/china.

My question; are these really that good, 'cause I'm spoiled and fully admit it, but would dearly love to find a domestic worth drinking...

OK, in for one, just to find out.

CT

gypsydiva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gypsydiva

Damn! There isn't even a state close to me that I can have this shipped to. Damn, damn damn!!

bhodilee

Shadow12 wrote:Some of us just can't finish a bottle of anything in a reasonable time frame. (I will not admit to how many bottles have been poured out after only a glass or two have been consumed.) Can this REALLY be stored, capped, for 3 months? That would be HUGE for some folks like me.

absolutely yes. Its brewed like beer, but not carbonated so you don't have to worry about it going flat. You can store it like any other liquor, but preferably in the fridge (since you want to drink it cold anyway).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

Here's the deal. You want to drink it hot, drink it hot. Done.

Seriously, you'd rather drink this hot than some crap Sake hot. But please, try it both ways. I'll be shocked if you don't like it cold better. And I'd probably do the Ruby hot cause it's slightly sweeter.

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Since you are drinking the Gekkeikan, I can understand the suggestion to drink hot/warm. Gekkeikan, which is produced in Folsum CA, and is, at least by my standards, a barely-acceptable-to-drink sake and something I would never consider serving to company do to it's harshness. Good Quality sake, as others have commented, really is best cold and will have absolutely no harsh edge or alcohol burn. Japanese wife brought home a bottle of something she got on sale once. Couldn't even cook with it it was that disgusting. She really should have known better, and that hasn't been repeated since!

Any nigori -absolutely must- be cold, and not consumed from a masu, but from glass/china.

My question; are these really that good, 'cause I'm spoiled and fully admit it, but would dearly love to find a domestic worth drinking...

OK, in for one, just to find out.

good call. I think you'll be pleased and there is wide distribution on these, so you should be able to find it locally. Keep an eye out for the G! Joy. Holy fricking Sake Batman

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
bhodilee wrote:absolutely yes. Its brewed like beer, but not carbonated so you don't have to worry about it going flat. You can store it like any other liquor, but preferably in the fridge (since you want to drink it cold anyway).

Thank you very much for the clarification. I may have to try this one. ;-)

cjjett1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjjett1969

what size are the bottles?...

dallasgor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dallasgor

Hows come it cant ship to Kansas? ..... other days it ships here?

misseuropa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misseuropa
sakeguy wrote:Can I quote you on this? So glad to see a few wooters who have been out to see us. Thanks for the props and so glad you enjoyed your visit so much. We do work hard to make the best sake in America and to help educate the masses. Thanks for spreading the word.

I've been out as well, anyone local or visiting who has an interest should drop by, have a tasting, and most especially pick up some of the namazake (which is fantastic). I took my man out there as a treat, since he is a sake person, but I as a small c catholic drinker, enjoyed it as well.

dallasgor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dallasgor

Why can some days you may ship to Kansas and others you cant?

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

I love (love love) Nigori Sake, and am weary about going for the variety when I'd rather just have 6 bottles of Nigori.

That being said, I did recently try a glass of Hakutsuru Junmai Ginjo, which was quite light and delicious.

For someone who loves Nigori, how do the other styles compare?

kylemittskus

cjjett1969 wrote:what size are the bottles?...

Read people! This question has been answered three times in the thread.

The bottles are 750ml each, just like a bottle of wine. Four times and counting...

kylemittskus

dallasgor wrote:Why can some days you may ship to Kansas and others you cant?

Patience grasshopper. Each winery (or saké-edu) gets a licence for each state. And each state has its own, often times expensive, pain in the ass application process.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

We'll give this a try. It seems like a good variety to help us decide our preferences.

SakéOne Momokawa Mixed - 6 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jimjacks66
Speed to first woot: 0m 23.027s
Last wooter to woot: parkermc

And now it's bouncing.....

bhodilee

Huh, well I guess I don't have to stop and get some to Labrat. Who am I kidding, I'm gonna stop and get some anyway.

sakeguy

Quick moment to check and thrilled to see old friends answering sake questions. We have done well teaching and your abilities honor our hard work. We will keep honoring you by brewing Oregon craft sake (the finest domestic sake in America...hands down) everyday.

If the ball is bouncing it's time to get in....quick.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

parkermc wrote:
And now it's bouncing.....

Temporary premature bounce. we have more.

sorry for any confusion.

What a fun Sake day !