12/3/08
9/15/08
8/27/07
2/5/07

Happy Sakeday!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I have drank many and more of all of these. Superb. Buy and be happy you live in a ship to state. Oh, and Dewey......SHIP TO NEBRASKA......please :-)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

GuardianBob

quality posts: 11 Private Messages GuardianBob

I'd buy some but...

Having the sake shipped from Forest Grove, to California to Beaverton is a very long trip. I'd just rather visit the place myself, I mean the trip is only 25 minutes.

When will Woot! offer a no shipping option?

That said the water does really taste good here, Bull Run is very good to the residents.

Cesare

quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare
bhodilee wrote:I have drank many and more of all of these. Superb. Buy and be happy you live in a ship to state. Oh, and Dewey......SHIP TO NEBRASKA......please :-)

You were labratted a day too early!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

Cesare wrote:You were labratted a day too early!

its the whole shipping thing. I'm just gonna go get some tomorrow and rat anyway

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

Been waiting for Sake for a very very long time. Jumped on it the instant I saw it! SakeOne Momokawa is all fabulous.

toph25

quality posts: 4 Private Messages toph25

Anyone know the size of these in ml or oz?

bhodilee

toph25 wrote:Anyone know the size of these in ml or oz?

750ml like wine

bigfrank

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigfrank

This company makes nice Sake, I like there G the best, Here is a link to educate those who want to learn about Sake http://www.sakeone.com/Sake-Shop/Sake-101

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

tastes great and it is an awesome product for the price/quality.

What's up with all these holidays? Pinot noir has a day, August 18th to be exact, and wine.woot didn't do anything about it! Maybe we can fix the flux capacitor, hit 88mph, and revisit that forgotten day. Or maybe I just need a pair of Nike's that cost a few thousands to get the job done

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Geckotek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek

Don't these usually sell for $12-$13? Doesn't seem to be a very good deal for an average sake.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Ah, so many questions...
SMV; what is a Saki Meter Value?
Been drinking sake for over 30 years and first I've ever heard of it.
Are these 750's? I've seen 500, 720, 750 1000 and 1500 (yeah, that would rock!) but don't see the volume listed. What traditional Japanese sake might this compare to? Hopefully none of the generally terrible CA offerings...

WRT price, $60 for a 1.5L of quality Japanese sake doesn't even phase me; store price, not restaurant.

Oh, and I drink all but nigori cold in a masu.

CT

hpfa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hpfa

Q16: What is the nihonshu-do, or Sake Meter Value? This is a measure of the density of the sake relative to water. It is a very general reference to the sweetness or dryness of a sake. Note, however, that acid content and water hardness and temperature and other factors also contribute a great deal to the concept of sweet and dry.

mhenning

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mhenning

Ok, so I'm a beer geek, and I love wine, but I am a saké novice. What do I taste for? What are the optimum serving temperatures, and does this vary from one to the next in a reliable way by category or other determinant?

Fortunately, I've been meaning to get into this fine rice beer, and hence this is my second woot in a week.

Leomania

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leomania

The offer really should state the volume of each bottle. Sake can be pretty darned expensive, frankly; six 750ml bottles of decent sake at this price is pretty phenomenal. It is decent, right?

rileyper

quality posts: 67 Private Messages rileyper

am i the only one who noticed this

xyzproductions

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xyzproductions

doesn't seem like that much of a discount - $66 here: http://www.sakeone.com/product/Momokawa-4-Bottle-Sampler?pageID=0563e0ef-2264-112b-b123-88d5d2ee57ae&sortBy=DisplayOrder&

Geckotek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek
xyzproductions wrote:doesn't seem like that much of a discount - $66 here: http://www.sakeone.com/product/Momokawa-4-Bottle-Sampler?pageID=0563e0ef-2264-112b-b123-88d5d2ee57ae&sortBy=DisplayOrder&

This is what I'm saying.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'm a labrat!!!! Caveat being I'm not really good at distinguishing flavors and breaking it down. So I hope I don't disappoint.

Anywa, I received 2 bottles, Pearl (Nigori) and Organic Nigori. I received the package and put in the refrigerator to chill. And according to the direction, I shook the bottle and poured both out to try without food.

The Pearl is creamier, whiter and murkier looking. The Organic Nigori seemed to be a little clearer. Both smelled the same to me.

Regarding taste, Pearl was a little grainier in the mouthfeel. It is tasty and has a bit of a bite to it. Kinda expected for 18% for me. Couldn't really figure out the underlying taste but it is yummy. My mother in law and father in law both liked this better than the Organic Nigori.

The Organic Nigori is smoother to me although my mother in law thought the Pearl was smoother. It doesn't have that grainy taste to me. Both my husband and I liked this one better.

Both were a little sweet and my in laws thought Pearl was sweeter than the Organic Nigori.

We made some chicken teriyaki and I tried it with food. It went really well with the food. It was refreshing and complemented the salty chicken dish. When I put some sriracha sauce on the chicken and drank some sake, it went well with the spiciness of the sauce.

Well, hope this helps. Sorry for not being able to really break down the components of the sake. I really like both bottles though.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

750ml bottles. I'm a total sake snob, these make the cut and I was truly blown away by their quality.

I wrote about my recent tasting with SakeOne here: http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19392

WineDavid was my Boss!

using_the_whole_fist

quality posts: 5 Private Messages using_the_whole_fist
rjquillin wrote:
Are these 750's?

it would be good if the sale said but the manufacturer only has 750ml size of this sake on their website.

i only see 'serve' on the last bottle of sake. is this all chilled, hot, both?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
Geckotek wrote:Don't these usually sell for $12-$13? Doesn't seem to be a very good deal for an average sake.

$3 x 6 = $18 discount not considering shipping = about a 25% discount. Pretty good, IMO. And what makes you say it's an "average saké"? Have you had it? Tasted a large number of sakés? Want to share some knowledge?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

using_the_whole_fist wrote:it would be good if the sale said but the manufacturer only has 750ml size of this sake on their website.

only chilled, always chilled, chill these babies!

WineDavid was my Boss!

hpfa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hpfa

One of the more interesting wine woots I've seen.

Thanks Woot - in for a twelve pack!

Looking forward to the single distiller single malt six pack. hint hint

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
xyzproductions wrote:doesn't seem like that much of a discount - $66 here: http://www.sakeone.com/product/Momokawa-4-Bottle-Sampler?pageID=0563e0ef-2264-112b-b123-88d5d2ee57ae&sortBy=DisplayOrder&

That link doesn't work, but from the text, that's for 4 bottles? This woot is for 6.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
using_the_whole_fist wrote:it would be good if the sale said but the manufacturer only has 750ml size of this sake on their website.

Noticed the size after the post. Seems like they must be 750's.

Many drink sake hot, but I find the true flavor can be best appreciated when consumed cold from the traditional cedar wooden box, a masu. Quality sake drinks like slightly sweet water and is about as close to nirvana in a beverage as I've found.

CT

DocMphd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DocMphd
Geckotek wrote:Don't these usually sell for $12-$13? Doesn't seem to be a very good deal for an average sake.

How is this not a good deal? Average of $10 per bottle for bottles that usually go for $12.00-$13.50. Seems to me you are getting a greater than 20% discount.

Then there is shipping. You'd pay at least $15 to have it shipped from SakeOne directly.

CAGrl

These are definitely better than average sake. I've had couple other sakeone sakes in the past and they are really good.

CAGrl

Oh yeah, I received a tube of polished rice in the package and don't know what that was for. Anybody?

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

CAGrl wrote:Oh yeah, I received a tube of polished rice in the package and don't know what that was for. Anybody?

hiya, this was an example for you...I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.

WineDavid was my Boss!

CAGrl

texacaliali wrote:hiya, this was an example for you...I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.

Thanks. I was just so confused. And I took pictures of the sakes so I'm gonna try to figure out how to post those pics later tomorrow.

derrico69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrico69

I get this in Portland quite a bit. It is good quality sake with a modest woot discount. With the cost of the shipping you are saving between $3-$4 a bottle, depending where you live.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mhenning wrote:Ok, so I'm a beer geek, and I love wine, but I am a saké novice. What do I taste for? What are the optimum serving temperatures, and does this vary from one to the next in a reliable way by category or other determinant?

Fortunately, I've been meaning to get into this fine rice beer, and hence this is my second woot in a week.

most beer geeks really enjoy a well made sake! Go for it! Pending on the bottle, you can find many similarities in Junmai and Ginjo Sakes that you like in a good micro-brew beer.

I could write a book on what to look for, I suggest you start with sake that is labeled Junmai and start with Ginjo grade levels this level often has bigger flavors.

Each sake will taste different, some more floral, stony and mineral driven, & tropical and melon flavors are typical. Serve chilled like you would a cold beer or white wine.

WineDavid was my Boss!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
rileyper wrote:

am i the only one who noticed this

Until I saw your post... perhaps yes.

Clever!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

mnuahs

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs

No Wisconsin this time? Why aren't we on the list? Please tell me this is some sort of typo. Very upsetting. I got this last time in '08 and was not disappointed. I was hoping to get it this time as well.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

CAGrl wrote:Thanks. I was just so confused. And I took pictures of the sakes so I'm gonna try to figure out how to post those pics later tomorrow.

this posting guide should probably help you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jbills

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbills

if ever visiting the portland area, the "sakery" tour is really informative and fun. They give you the full rundown and then some, and I felt like I had just graduated sake school when I walked out. I thought I heard them say they are the only sake brewery (distillery?) in the US, but I could be mistaken. I'm not sure how purists receive sake one, but I personally have no problem supporting them - they do it up right.

HitokiriFyre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HitokiriFyre

True, only $6 savings... until you count the $17.05 savings on shipping (at least for here in Texas; varies state-to-state). So yeah, $23 off ain't a bad deal in my opinion.

fuzzy103

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fuzzy103
HitokiriFyre wrote:True, only $6 savings... until you count the $17.05 savings on shipping (at least for here in Texas; varies state-to-state). So yeah, $23 off ain't a bad deal in my opinion.

$66.00 + $24.89 shipping to NY

$64.99 woot vs $90.89 website, not a bad deal