skisterling

quality posts: 19 Private Messages skisterling

Again, Sorry for the formatting challenges but here are the numbers for the Dry Riesling which is pictured. I will send wine maker tasting notes next

Product Bottling Date pH TA (g/L) % Alc %RS Harvest Date

2010 Esterlina Vineyards Dry Riesling Cole Ranch 3/31/2011 3.15 6.08 12.4 0.83 10/22/2010

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
wineyum wrote:What's strange about that is that the bottle I received is labelled as dry?

Yeah, and the label absolutely states 12.4% alcohol. I'll post a picture when I get home. I hope there isn't some confusion as to what is actually getting sold.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

skisterling

quality posts: 19 Private Messages skisterling

Winemaker Lynn Krausmann Tasting Notes

2010 Esterlina Dry Riesling Cole Ranch

The 2010 Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling captivates with its delicate aromatics and texture and completely refreshes with its racy acidity and a mineral-laden finish. It expresses aromas of lime, pear and honeysuckle and displays bright flavors suggesting ginger and white nectarine. The Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling is the perfect partner to sushi and is a wine that will match with the freshness of sweet pea and ricotta crostini or the delicacy of pan-sautéed trout. Enjoy the 2010 Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling in its full freshness now or cellar for three to five years to allow it to exhibit more of its Riesling petrol character.

wineyum

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wineyum
skisterling wrote:I am happy to send you the numbers on that one too. They are distinctly different in flavor and RS...

I think there is some confusion then- is the bottle I received to rat and that is pictured on woot the same one that is being offered? Your earlier post states that it is the off dry that is being offered, but is that really what you meant?

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

wineyum wrote:I think there is some confusion then- is the bottle I received to rat and that is pictured on woot the same one that is being offered? Your earlier post states that it is the off dry that is being offered, but is that really what you meant?

Hi - yes, you tasted the 2010 Dry Riesling and it's what is being featured here. Will correct the front page next.

WineDavid was my Boss!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
polarbear22 wrote:It would be great if Scott has tasted this wine and can chime in. I think of him as our wine.woot resident Reisling expert.

Not familiar with this wine, but looks good. So, I'm in. As far as what the rules are for labeling wines sweetness level, there are two sets.
The first one is the German way. It works off of acid and residual sugar. This wine has a .66 TA. Dry (Troken) is two tenths above the TA. So if the wine is .66 the RS can go as high as .86% RS and still be called dry. For off dry (halbtroken) it is 14 tenths above the TA, 2.06% RS.
The International Riesling Foundation has also set up a sweetness scale. Their website explains it at drinkriesling.com. It works on a ratio of acid to sugar with pH also factored in. In the case of this wine the ratio is the sugar in grams which would be 36 divided by the acidity in grams at 6.6, which equals a ratio of 1.8. On the scale a ratio of 1.8 falls into the what they call the medium dry category, which is off dry or halbtroken. If the pH is above 3.3 it moves up to the sweet categaory and if it is less than 2.9 it move into the dry category.
Hopefully this helps. I look forward to trying the wine based on the great labrat reports

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Not familiar with this wine, but looks good. So, I'm in. As far as what the rules are for labeling wines sweetness level, there are two sets.
The first one is the German way. It works off of acid and residual sugar. This wine has a .66 TA. Dry (Troken) is two tenths above the TA. So if the wine is .66 the RS can go as high as .86% RS and still be called dry. For off dry (halbtroken) it is 14 tenths above the TA, 2.06% RS.
The International Riesling Foundation has also set up a sweetness scale. Their website explains it at drinkriesling.com. It works on a ratio of acid to sugar with pH also factored in. In the case of this wine the ratio is the sugar in grams which would be 36 divided by the acidity in grams at 6.6, which equals a ratio of 1.8. On the scale a ratio of 1.8 falls into the what they call the medium dry category, which is off dry or halbtroken. If the pH is above 3.3 it moves up to the sweet categaory and if it is less than 2.9 it move into the dry category.
Hopefully this helps. I look forward to trying the wine based on the great labrat reports

Excellent explanation, Scott!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

skisterling wrote:Winemaker Lynn Krausmann Tasting Notes

The 2010 Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling captivates with its delicate aromatics and texture and completely refreshes with its racy acidity and a mineral-laden finish. It expresses aromas of lime, pear and honeysuckle and displays bright flavors suggesting ginger and white nectarine. The Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling is the perfect partner to sushi and is a wine that will match with the freshness of sweet pea and ricotta crostini or the delicacy of pan-sautéed trout. Enjoy the 2010 Esterlina Cole Ranch Dry Riesling in its full freshness now or cellar for three to five years to allow it to exhibit more of its Riesling petrol character.

I'm actually kind of proud of myself after reading this. Maybe I'm slightly better at descriptors than I thought. Probably not

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
texacaliali wrote:Hi - yes, you tasted the 2010 Dry Riesling and it's what is being featured here. Will correct the front page next.

I've got to admit it, I'm confused.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
polarbear22 wrote:Apparently, I did not pass this course.

I liked it if that helps.

I'm just hanging out, really.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:I've got to admit it, I'm confused.

the 2010 Dry Riesling is the offering.

WineDavid was my Boss!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
texacaliali wrote:the 2010 Dry Riesling is the offering.

Looks like the front page numbers have been updated. Confusion resolved!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
texacaliali wrote:the 2010 Dry Riesling is the offering.

Ok, than I'm pushing the big buy button. In for one.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

oscarvino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oscarvino

Tasted this wine at Esterlina's Healdsburg place (Everett Ridge) with one of the owners, Chris. I had to buy a few. I served one with a lemon cream pasta. Really tasty. At the winery, they always have Cheetos--and it worked with that, too!!

bhodilee

oscarvino wrote:Tasted this wine at Esterlina's Healdsburg place (Everett Ridge) with one of the owners, Chris. I had to buy a few. I served one with a lemon cream pasta. Really tasty. At the winery, they always have Cheetos--and it worked with that, too!!

I read that on a Yelp review. I thought they brought them with them. Okay winery, whats up with the Cheetos!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Not familiar with this wine, but looks good. So, I'm in. As far as what the rules are for labeling wines sweetness level, there are two sets.

Thanks for posting. Great information as always. Apparently the wine.woot paging system works.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

skisterling wrote:Winemaker Lynn Krausmann Tasting Notes

It was the lime that I called lemon. Knew it wasn't quite lemon. I have to get better at this.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

malibu1369

quality posts: 1 Private Messages malibu1369

Met part of the family at their house in the early 2000s and I have to say I have loved their wine ever since. Wine tasting that day and called to make an appointment. They invited us to stay for lunch on their upstairs home deck with the most incredible view of the valley I have ever experienced! Lovely Riesling!

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

this is going to be a great pairing for Thanksgiving Day too, most likely will not last by dinner time!

WineDavid was my Boss!

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

You guys may want to update the release date on the wine write up. It was apparently released five months prior to bottling.

CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
randyzin wrote:how can 3.6% rs be considered "dry" .

I do not get it.....

Residual sugar is not the only factor in determining dryness. Acidity/pH have a major role.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Is this one unable to ship to Maryland or is this another oversight? This one is really intriguing me. It would be my first purchase of actual wine on wine.woot if it can ship here. In the very least, I am writing this in my wine book and heading over to my wine store soon! Special order? I think "Yes"!

wineyum

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wineyum
polarbear22 wrote:It was the lime that I called lemon. Knew it wasn't quite lemon. I have to get better at this.

Lime/lemon, at least you were on the right track! I will just stick with my like/dislike system, since I apparently taste everything that isn't there and nothing that is.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rpm wrote:

We are fortunate that people have discovered Mendocino County's climate is very well suited to growing Riesling, and some fine ones now come out of there, especially the Anderson Valley.

There is nothing quite like a first class dry Riesling with California's legendary Dungeness crab!

My Mom has worked at Mendocino Wineries for the past 20 years. First at Wiebel, then Redwood Valley Cellars, and now at a custom crush and storage winery that mainly makes wine for other wineries, but does bottle a few small lots mostly for themselves. I can tell you that there have been great wines coming from Mendocino county for quite a while, and some really horrid ones as well There's a huge Italian influence on wine making in that area, and it shows. Mendo county is a large AVA, with climates varied about as much as you can get, so they can successfully grow just about any kind of grape there.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I'm not always a fan of dry Rieslings. They tend to lose character and are often nothing but a bottle of bracing acid.

But I'm in for this one without hesitation. I'm all about supporting the few Black-owned serious wineries out there. Plus the LabRat reports have assuaged any acid-bath fears I might have.

In for one under my wine-only monicker. We'll have this at Thanksgiving!

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

MalcolmPX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

And there it is! My minute of fame!

Esterlina Vineyards Cole Ranch 2010 Dry Riesling - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: molette
Speed to first woot: 5m 49.413s
Last wooter to woot: MalcolmPX

Me

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
bsevern wrote:My Mom has worked at Mendocino Wineries for the past 20 years. First at Wiebel, then Redwood Valley Cellars, and now at a custom crush and storage winery that mainly makes wine for other wineries, but does bottle a few small lots mostly for themselves. I can tell you that there have been great wines coming from Mendocino county for quite a while, and some really horrid ones as well There's a huge Italian influence on wine making in that area, and it shows. Mendo county is a large AVA, with climates varied about as much as you can get, so they can successfully grow just about any kind of grape there.

Indeed, my great uncle Tony made wine up in Ukiah for a while during the 1920's. The early winemakers in the area were almost all Italian, and in the area around Ukiah and Hopland - not so much in the Anderson Valley, which is a much more recent (starting in the '70s). It was a natural extension North of the Italian Swiss Colony activity centered on Asti, but with vineyards as far South as Healdsburg and as far North as Hopland, maybe a bit further. Parduccis have been operating up there since the early '30s, but the first new significant outfit in Mendocino was Fetzer in the late '60s. Fetzer made some truly exceptional but very cheap Zinfandel up there in '68 and '70, the '70 really put him on the map. Reds were always better than whites up there in the old days - too hot for the whites, and the older growing areas didn't get the cooling effects you get in the Anderson Valley.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

iByron wrote:I'm not always a fan of dry Rieslings. They tend to lose character and are often nothing but a bottle of bracing acid.

But I'm in for this one without hesitation. I'm all about supporting the few Black-owned serious wineries out there. Plus the LabRat reports have assuaged any acid-bath fears I might have.

In for one under my wine-only monicker. We'll have this at Thanksgiving!

iByron

I'm just finishing this up, about 22 hours after first open. Recorked, left on the counter overnight. Today the acid has come through and is VERY prominent. I like it though. And now that I think it should be there I can get lime. I didn't get that AT all yesterday. Power of suggestion and all. I still like this a lot. You won't be sorry.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek
cyclebex wrote:Is this one unable to ship to Maryland or is this another oversight? This one is really intriguing me. It would be my first purchase of actual wine on wine.woot if it can ship here. In the very least, I am writing this in my wine book and heading over to my wine store soon! Special order? I think "Yes"!

+1 on your question. I'm rather bummed that there's finally a Riesling here and I can't ship it to MD! But my bank account is happy;-)

polarbear22

inkycatz wrote:I liked it if that helps.

Thank you.

My Cellar

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:You guys may want to update the release date on the wine write up. It was apparently released five months prior to bottling.

It's Marty McFly math.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Could hold out no longer...
Speed to First Woot: 5m 49.413s
First Sucker: molette
Last Wooter To Woot: rjquillin

Does today bring us a hint of what international wonder may be in the offing for Saturday?

CT