1 2007 Cuvee Christie
1 2007 Watch Hill Grenache
1 2007 Camp 4 Grenache
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

All positive reviews on CT. Not too sure if the pricing is all that great. $30 each from the winery, but much cheaper when searched on the net. Camp 4 ($18). Cuvee Christie ($21). Watch Hill ($30).I might need a nudge to press the yellow button.

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

Good morning, all! Hope you're having a GREAT Grenache Day . . . . and ask away any questions you may have . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Knock knock . . . . anyone there?!?!?!??

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tercerowines wrote:Good morning, all! Hope you're having a GREAT Grenache Day . . . . and ask away any questions you may have . . .

Morning Larry! (hope the coffee is holding up!). I had the pleasure of tasting these wines at your Los Olivos tasting room... Each was a different, unique expression of Grenache... Can you comment on that?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

jveauthier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jveauthier
jmdavidson wrote:All positive reviews on CT. Not too sure if the pricing is all that great. $30 each from the winery, but much cheaper when searched on the net. Camp 4 ($18). Cuvee Christie ($21). Watch Hill ($30).I might need a nudge to press the yellow button.

Its a 3-pack, more like $20.67 each or $22.33 each with shipping...

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

One of my favorite Santa barbara based small wineries is municipal winemakers. Dave potter the winemaker makes a GSM style red called Bright Red which also uses fruit from the camp 4 vineyard. Have you had any vintages of this particular wine and if so can you compare And contrast this camp 4 offer with his wine. I have had several vintages now and can use it for a baseline.

Thanks

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
tercerowines wrote:Knock knock . . . . anyone there?!?!?!??

Someone certainly has had way too much French Roast Coffee all night long.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

tercerowines

neilfindswine wrote:Morning Larry! (hope the coffee is holding up!). I had the pleasure of tasting these wines at your Los Olivos tasting room... Each was a different, unique expression of Grenache... Can you comment on that?

Though I work with a number or rhone varieties, grenache is by far my favorite - and I like to work with it from both cool and warm climate vineyards. Camp 4 is a warmer climate vineyard, so this wine will tend to have a bit brighter aromas, focusing on the strawberry, light cherry and spice side. And Watch Hill is a cooler climate site, and therefore the flavors lean more towards dark raspberry. Both of these grenaches are 100% grenache, and I included 25% whole clusters on each during fermentation . . .

I also love grenache in blends, and my 07 Cuvee Christie shows off what it can add when blended with Syrah and Mourvedre. It lifts the aromas of all the varieties and really makes them soar, in addition to adding a touch of 'sweeter' fruit (not sugar sweet, though) . .

Hopes that explains a bit at least . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

cortot20 wrote:One of my favorite Santa barbara based small wineries is municipal winemakers. Dave potter the winemaker makes a GSM style red called Bright Red which also uses fruit from the camp 4 vineyard. Have you had any vintages of this particular wine and if so can you compare And contrast this camp 4 offer with his wine. I have had several vintages now and can use it for a baseline.

Thanks

I know Dave quite well, having worked side by side with him for about 5 years, and having tasted all of his releases (we're also 1/2 of the 4 winemakers that make up Thread, by the way).

My grenache is quite different than his blend, having a touch more richness and a different flavor profile. The Cuvee Christie is quite different - my blend is richer and bolder than his offerings, for it is heavier on syrah and his tends to be heavier on 'lighter' varieties . . .

Hope that helps . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Someone certainly has had way too much French Roast Coffee all night long.

Not as much as I should have - snoozed off for a bit and missed the start . . . AND my kids are rousing and no breakfast is made for them!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Why you no love Maryland?

tercerowines

cyclebex wrote:Why you no love Maryland?

Wasn't offered it as a possibility . . . but you can contact me 'offline' (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

adams828

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adams828

THIS

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

WD is trying to drown me with rats...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tercerowines

cheron98 wrote:WD is trying to drown me with rats...

Is this a bad thing??!?!?

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:WD is trying to drown me with rats...

We knew those 8 arms would come in handy.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tercerowines

By the way, I'm extremely excited to be taking part in a woot offering for my wines finally and be able to get on here and talk about them - instead of for wines I helped make for others (-:

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

"You're short, your bellybutton sticks out too far, and you're a terrible burden on your poor mother."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Again, most wineries have limited resources, so it depends on where they (or their distributors) have the most sales. And where the state doesn't create too much of a burden.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tercerowines

MarkDaSpark wrote:"You're short, your bellybutton sticks out too far, and you're a terrible burden on your poor mother."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Again, most wineries have limited resources, so it depends on where they (or their distributors) have the most sales.

Good to see you hanging out here this morning, my friend!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

Will buy a set once I wake up more .... Larry makes some really great wines. Even my sister & BiL liked them.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

We were just in Los Olivos for a wine tasting get away. Larry was, by far, the highlight. I tried all three of these, along with 7 other wines of his. We spent close to an hour and a half with him, drinking out of chemistry beakers and on a folding table. Every single one of these wines was delicious. Very food friendly, very well made, and all unique. Of the three, the Cuvee Christie is probably my favorite, followed by his Mourvèdre.

Small, independent winery run by a super cool, very knowledgeable dude. IMO, this is definity worth buying.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

tercerowines wrote:Good to see you hanging out here this morning, my friend!

Welcome back! Good to see you so chipper! Me need Coffee! Coffee, coffee, coffee!!

My sister still asks about your "special" Grenache. These were great when we tasted them, looking forward to buying them here!

tercerowines

kylemittskus wrote:We were just in Los Olivos for a wine tasting get away. Larry was, by far, the highlight. I tried all three of these, along with 7 other wines of his. We spent close to an hour and a half with him, drinking out of chemistry beakers and on a folding table. Every single one of these wines was delicious. Very food friendly, very well made, and all unique. Of the three, the Cuvee Christie is probably my favorite, followed by his Mourvèdre.

Small, independent winery run by a super cool, very knowledgeable dude. IMO, this is definity worth buying.

Thanks for the kind words - you're gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Tercero Watch Hill 2007 Grenache

The fabled Golden ticket arrived, and I proceeded to dance the happy dance, and crow over my coworkers that I was better than them!

After recovering from my pummeling, I gathered a fellow wine drinker and we tasted. Water crackers to clean the palate, a little blue and goat cheese for pairing.

Opened and did NOT decant.
-----------------
Initial nose - sour cherries, not much alcohol

Initial taste - sour cherry, with a little something more. Maybe some cocoa? Heat - yes, on the initial pour, the alcohol was very noticable. I was worried when I saw the high percentage.

Finish - not much. Gone almost immediately.

A taste with a little cheese - both the cheeses were mild - but the cheeses completely overwhelmed the wine. Second opinion is that this is a wine to consume with some red meat, or other food, but not something we would drink alone.
------------------

Second taste - about 60 minutes open in bottle.

Nose - it has opened up more. Sour cherry, some other berry (black? not sweet like strawberry) and a hint of mushroom or earthyness.

Taste - The heat has died down, and the wine developed more. More tannin structure fairly even across the tongue. More complex berry flavors, with some others rounding it out.

Finish - It is lasting longer, maybe a minute after the swallow and it leaves the mouth clean. A good aftertaste.

Second impression - Now this is a wine that could be drunk alone. It pairs better with the cheeses and some salami that was found. But the tannins are still mild - it could be overwhelmed by strong food.

------------
Final tasting - about 3 hours open in bottle.

Nose - still strong berry flavors, with some cherry, and maybe I am picking up that cocoa that was mentioned before. Could be my imagination.

Taste - I think its currents, that additional flavor. That slightly sweet berry flavor that I couldn't figure out earlier. Maybe I am imagining that as well.

Finish - nice even, but has shortened some. I think the tannins are good drinking, but it is NOT a tannin monster.
---------------

Overall, a nice wine. Not one we think will age for a decade, but good to drink now. Pair with light foods, maybe some red meat prepared simply. Would be overwhelmed with strong flavors of spice or bbq.

Final discussion was QPR, and what we though W.W would price it at. Basically, attempted to compare to some other grenache we have had, and what it had cost us. Looking at today's price (roughly $22/bottle), it is a little higher than some we have drunk that were just as good. But we will also admit to having spent much more than this for a fancy Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and not had as enjoyable a wine.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

tercerowines

kylemittskus wrote:We were just in Los Olivos for a wine tasting get away. Larry was, by far, the highlight. I tried all three of these, along with 7 other wines of his. We spent close to an hour and a half with him, drinking out of chemistry beakers and on a folding table. Every single one of these wines was delicious. Very food friendly, very well made, and all unique. Of the three, the Cuvee Christie is probably my favorite, followed by his Mourvèdre.

Thanks for the kind words - you're gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Hi. My name is Mike and I'm a sucker for Grenache! Here's to hoping this is a good one!

Tercero Mixed 2007 Grenache - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mkrauss123
Speed to first woot: 3m 2.490s
Last wooter to woot: vaaccess

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

tercerowines

vaaccess wrote:Hi. My name is Mike and I'm a sucker for Grenache! Here's to hoping this is a good one!

Last wooter to woot: vaaccess

Here's to hoping you enjoy them!!! Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tercerowines wrote:Thanks for the kind words - you're gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

Fancy! We'll definitely be back at some point. Hopefully soon.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

grythumn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages grythumn

Because MD law doesn't allow direct sales of alcohol to residents. You have to order it through a local liquor store (and pay state taxes). Every few years there is a law proposed to fix this, but it never passes.

http://individuals.marylandtaxes.com/publications/taxtips/personal/tip25.asp

-R C
(Also in MD)

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
tercerowines wrote:Thanks for the kind words - you're gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

I love pulling out the erlenmeyer flasks for decanters! People who didn't see the initial decant wonder what the heck they walked into, when they show up late!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

tercerowines

wkdpanda wrote:I love pulling out the erlenmeyer flasks for decanters! People who didn't see the initial decant wonder what the heck they walked into, when they show up late!

2000 ml ones are my faves - and the ones I use in my tasting room and at all of the tastings I do. I love how easy they are to use, how efficient they are, and the fact that you can clean them in the dishwasher . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

Done!

Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

cyclebex

grythumn wrote:Because MD law doesn't allow direct sales of alcohol to residents. You have to order it through a local liquor store (and pay state taxes). Every few years there is a law proposed to fix this, but it never passes.

http://individuals.marylandtaxes.com/publications/taxtips/personal/tip25.asp

-R C
(Also in MD)

The law has changed. Each winery can apply for a shipping permit.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Apologies, MD added.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tercerowines

neilfindswine wrote:Apologies, MD added.

Yee Haw . . . . Now let's get on board, MD folks . . . including those of you who may live in Monkton (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare

Well I waited long enough. I guess the other rats are still sleeping.
I have 3 reports, although 2 of them didn't specify which Grenache so we will have to wait for those users to show up to clarify.

idickulux wrote:
2007 Cuvee Christie
List Price $30 at the winery
From the winery's website:
"The second release of this wine, named for my partner in crime, is quite different than the first one . . . It is syrah dominated rather than Grenache dominated. ( The exact blend is 64% grenache, 18% mourvedre and 18% syrah). What does this mean? A darker, richer, more ‘serious’ Christie is evident here, one that still retains the nice cherry fruit core of the 2006 but surrounds it with a lot more structure and body – with some darker, more ‘brooding’ aromatic complexity. It is already the highest scoring wine that we’ve ever had rated from the Wine Spectator (91 pts!) and is a wonderfully complex wine to enjoy now and over the next 5-10 years!"

Received the wonderful golden ticket, and a glistening bottle of 2007 Cuvee Christie wine, at my home today. I immediately thought about how my wife and I should approach such a wonderful opportunity, realizing that peace in the Middle East might hang in the balance... not.

Opened the screw top bottle and poured a first tasting for my wife and I. The color was a red garnet and had a strong alcohol scent. There was a fruity note but it was hard to pin down to exactly which fruit. The initial taste was sharp and dominated by the alcohol. We thought, maybe it needs decanting and given some time to settle down.

Waited for about 30 min. and poured another tasting from the decanter. The scent was much less of an alcohol blast and now a hint of cherry was pushing its way through. We thought this may be a good sign that the wine was settling down a bit. Tasting was a little better but still dominated by the alcohol which laid in the back of the throat for quite some time. I thought, "We'll be patient and give this some more time to mellow."

Dinner was pan seared pork loin, fried eggplant with parmesan cheese, green beans, and garlic bread. The meal didn't really help develop the wine's impression on the palate.

Came back about an hour later, now 1.5 hours from the opening, to see how this wine was doing. Was it now more relaxed or still up tight? Upon pouring we discovered that the alcohol was still very much in the driver's seat and the cherry was still muted as a result. Tasting we still felt the alcohol was too dominant and kept the subtleties of the wine from being fully expressed on the palate.

Another 30 min. and there was not a substantial change in the wine.

Steve

inazuma wrote:
2007 Grenache (Camp 4?)
LABRAT REPORT! This is my first labrat report, so be gentle... I'm fragile Hope my notes are adequate. I'm not a pro, but this is the best way I can describe. Thanks, all!

A dark yet vibrant ruby colored berry fruit blast! Some blackberry, strawberry, and mild black currant with a little crunchy red apple skin and black raspberry when it opens up (with touches of minerals and spice). On the palate, the wine seems medium bodied and well balanced -- soft and approachable with structure. A nice lingering gentle finish that is a little dry with subtle yet firm tannins. Paired nicely with a grilled angus burger. We enjoyed this wine!

tiger7610 wrote:
2007 Watch Hill Grenache
I got an email on Tuesday that I was selected as a lab rat. It was my first time rattage, so I was excited. I have a friend staying with me, so I thought I could get her opinion on the wine as well. As a background I mostly prefer red wines, but have been known to drink whites occasionally, and my friend also has a preference for reds.

I picked up the wine on wed evening, and we had it with some left over stew.

Right at opening: very deep purple color, and some nice legs

Friend's description of the nose: "overpowering, grapey, a combination of Welsh grape juice and rotting flesh"
My description of the nose: smells like grape juice, very tight

Taste: very tannic and astringent. The feeling on the tongue is similar to eating paper or 100% dark chocolate

At this point I decide that we might as well run the wine through the soiree. After doing that, the Welsh's grape juice smell/flavor is gone, but the tannins/astringent flavor remains, and now the alcohol is kicking in. The wine is starting to feel hot.

I keep that glass sitting out while both of us are doing work, sampling periodically. Still very limited flavor, just tannins and alcohol. I try the non-soiree wine as well, and the grape juice flavor is back with the tannins. I tried the wine over the span of about 3 hours both with and without food, but there was no change. I left the bottle sitting on the counter, and tried it when I got home 24 hours after I first opened it. The heat from the alcohol just got worse, although the papery/astringent/tannin feeling has gone down.

The wine had a screw cap, so I'm fairly certain we did not get a corked wine. There could be some bottle shock since we opened it right after getting it. I do not claim to be an expert on Grenache, but either this wine needs to be decanted insanely long, or I just acquired a bad bottle. I would not buy what I tasted, but I'm hoping that its just an aberration.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tercerowines

Cesare wrote:Well I waited long enough. I guess the other rats are still sleeping.
I have 3 reports, although 2 of them didn't specify which Grenache so we will have to wait for those users to show up to clarify.

Interesting notes, folks . . .

First off, no corked wines here - all wines under screwcap and no TCA issues detected by anyone with these wines. Bottle variation? Always a possibility, but not something I have experienced with any of these three. I cross flow filter all of my wines to ensure no bacterial or microbial growth post bottling, thus removing a lot of the bottle variation consumers experience . . . Could the wines have been 'cooked' during shipping? Always a possibility - something that's difficult for me to control unless I hand deliver every package (-:

As I mentioned in my notes, all three of these wines will benefit from a splash decant and a lot of aeration. Even though they've been in bottle for over two years, they are still young as 2007 was a monstrous vintage. This is why I decant all of my reds in my tasting room.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about these lab rat reports or ANY of the wines - I'm here to do my best to give you my thoughts . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

cyclebex

cyclebex wrote:The law has changed. Each winery can apply for a shipping permit.

I can't find the updated list of requested/approved permits, but here is some sum up info on the law:

http://www.wineinstitute.org/initiatives/stateshippinglaws/currentevents/05102011/