tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
amyck1 wrote:Hel-lo? Botrytis? I am 100% confident my intro plant path class had discussions of wine grapes! Back to studying for you!

Sadly we arent there yet, the test is mostly bacteria, and ascomycetes/basydiomycetes/oomycetes. Anyway my labrat reviewed is pmed to Caesar and I'm off to bed

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines
neilfindswine wrote:...pound that coffee Larry, no sleep on Grenache day!

Not planning on sleeping, my friend . . . but my daughter just woke up and I had to explain to her what a woot off was . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

tiger7610 wrote:Sadly we arent there yet, the test is mostly bacteria, and ascomycetes/basydiomycetes/oomycetes. Anyway my labrat reviewed is pmed to Caesar and I'm off to bed

No worries because you would NOT have had any botrytis in my wines!!! (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

sdsmith93

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sdsmith93
Cesare wrote:Write up your review and send it to me and I will post it.

Me too? Send it where?

Sherri D. Smith

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
sdsmith93 wrote:Me too? Send it where?

I just send him a pm

Cesare

quality posts: 1560 Private Messages Cesare
sdsmith93 wrote:Me too? Send it where?

PM me. The little envelope next to my name.
Make sure you include the wine name and vintage so I know what it's for!
This goes for everybody...

Also, if you are around when the wine comes up and post the review I won't post it (or will edit it out).

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Oooh! Grenache day! Never been thankful for a head cold before. Maybe something good for Maryland will come up. C'mon, wine.woot!...

pellis23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pellis23

Labrat review PM'd to Cesare. I'll try and post it myself (I want the karma!), but if it comes up while I'm sleeping, no chance.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ratnikov wrote:Just to verify my sanity, is Petit Patriarche the 2008?

The label on the bottle in the picture seems to say 2009. Either that or I'm starting to get late night hallucinations...

Good catch! You get the EAGLE EYE award of the night.

The Petit Patriarche is 2009.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Cesare

quality posts: 1560 Private Messages Cesare
ThunderThighs wrote:Good catch! You get the EAGLE EYE award of the night.

The Petit Patriarche is 2009.

First post has been updated.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tercerowines

Josh,

Since there don't appear to be too many questions about these wines, and I've already had a few cups of strong coffee, here are a few to answer if you don't mind . . .

1) What's the varietal breakdown of the blend?
2) Is the grenache noir 100% grenache or are other varieties blended in?
3) Oak usage?

And if this is all listed but I'm just too slow to see it all, sorry about that (-:

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

hollyshilljosh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollyshilljosh
neilfindswine wrote:Good evening Josh!, thanks for joining us tonight and thanks to the Rhone Rangers for celebrating #GrenacheDay with us! What's on the bottling schedule tomorrow?

2010 Counoise.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Attn. Dear LabRats - check your emails now, but please keep your wine-lovin' traps shut until your particular wine posts. the element of what's coming next is part of the woot off! insanity, oh I mean excitement.

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

hollyshilljosh wrote:2010 Counoise.

love me some Counoise! Best of luck for a great harvest day tomorrow!

WineDavid was my Boss!

hollyshilljosh

Nate650 wrote:Hi, are the grapes organically grown?

We are currently in the process for Fish Friendly Certification.

hollyshilljosh

tercerowines wrote:Josh,

Since there don't appear to be too many questions about these wines, and I've already had a few cups of strong coffee, here are a few to answer if you don't mind . . .

1) What's the varietal breakdown of the blend?
2) Is the grenache noir 100% grenache or are other varieties blended in?
3) Oak usage?

And if this is all listed but I'm just too slow to see it all, sorry about that (-:

Cheers!

Hi Larry,
1. Blend is 70% Grenache, 17% Counoise, 5% Mourvedre, 5% Syrah, 3% Petite Sirah

2. 91% Grenache Noir, 8% Mourvedre, 1% Petite Sirah

3. We use all neutral French oak. For the Grenache we use puncheons and large oval.

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab

wine wootoff moving at a leisurely pace...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

missstapp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages missstapp

This is a fabulous vineyard! Looking forward to drinking Holly's Hill in the very near future!

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

This may have been answered already (apologies if so), but how long will these lay down for? Or rather, should they, since anything CAN lay down for as long as you want it to...

hollyshilljosh

greyday wrote:This may have been answered already (apologies if so), but how long will these lay down for? Or rather, should they, since anything CAN lay down for as long as you want it to...

I would recommend drinking both of these wines in the next couple years.

letshunt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages letshunt

Oh lord Grenache Day?!

Wine Woot...why are you trying to make me poor?

tercerowines

Pretty quiet out there in wine.woot.world . . . Everyone sleeping or too busy being on Facebook?!??!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

LAB RAT REPORT: (sorry I don't know how to do the graphics)

Hollys Hill Grenache Nior 2009

First I would like to thank the wine Gods and woot for the oportunity.
Next this will be fast seeing how the offer is almost over. Sorry this is short.( I did have some super great notes)

There were 5 of us that tasted last night. Food Pairings were brie, goat cheese with herbs, sharp cheddar, cojack cheeses with town house sea salt crackers.

Tasters range from those who love dry, full bodied red peppery wine to those who love fruity bold reds, to some who can tell you they are drinking wine.

General consensus: Wine was bitter and tart when first opened...Smelled like strawberries to some and had the color of Dark Cherry Kool-aid.

Pop and pour- Taste: Bitter, slate was one comment.

with food it mellowed out.

2nd taste: Ran thru the vinturi - Wow!! much better!!! Really brought out the flavors and mellowed the harshness.

Tasted strawberries and something else can't put finger on. not a sweet wine.

with food: did best with the brie cheese. really complimented it...
wine not bold enough to take on strong flavors. Made the herbs in the goat cheese super bitter.

General consensus: This is a nice light bodied red. Must be paired with light food.. NOthing too spicy. Not a drink on its own wine.. Not overly fruity. Must let it breathe or decant before drinking.

consensus was we would buy again. If it was in the $9-14 dollar range.

edit: Thanks again for my Golden Ticket!!! Everyone really had a great time tasting!

tradinick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tradinick

Imagine the excitement of getting THE email. You have won the golden ticket. Free wine is on its way. Just taste it and tell us what you think. Nirvana…..Well maybe. First understand that Fedex & I have an ongoing war. Well this delivery proved just as exciting as the tasting. It took 2 days and a trip 65 miles to the Fedex office before it made it to my house. No time to settle this bottle. So here we go:

Opened at 8PM Thursday and let to breath for a whole 15 minutes. I usually don’t decant so that would be typical for my taste. My plan is to taste every ½ hour with a small (1 oz) pour. My first taste was without food and the next two with dinner (grilled chicken, green beans, cole slaw with Tuscan bread). The last tasting would be after dinner.

Holly’s Hill 2009 Petit Patriarche (my spell check did not like that) is a blend of 5 different grapes. I don’t think I’ve ever had a wine with Counoise so the adventure begins.

The cork was in good shape and a quick smell said that this might be something special. First pour brought a wonderful bouquet. The color is a deep dark purple, but seemed a bit thin in the pour. Legs seemed typical of Grenache wines I’ve had in the past (the #1 varietal). First sip was incredibly smooth. I thought wow the wine maker really worked this blend. Taste was smooth with light tannins. A strong cherry & smokey taste were notices throughout the first pour. I enjoyed the first pour and thought this would be a great pair with goat cheese and mild spicy foods.

The second pour was with dinner. The wine had opened a bit. Traces of raspberry and currant made this pour more interesting. After taste was smokey but without a bite. The Grenache and Mourvedre flavor were recognizable. Still have no clue what the Counoise added, but it could have smoothed the Grenache.

The third pour opened a bit more, but not much different then the second. The aftertaste was more pronounced, but not in a bad way. Bouquet had decreased substantially on this pour. I had 4 year extra sharp cheddar cheese and whole almonds for dessert and the Petit Patriarche went very nicely with that combination.

The last pour was 2 hours after opening. The smoothness of the wine remained and the aftertaste had stabilized. The bouquet was a hint of the first pour. Taste was much more complex. Still smokey but a lot of fruit taste.

I love big reds – Zins, Cabs with dryness and Boudreaux style blends. This wine is different then my normal like. The smoothness wins the day and I would recommend it as a dinner wine.