CT links above

Winery website

Yelp
Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bobbyb0322

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bobbyb0322

A wine.woot only woot off. Interesting.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

And the labrats for the other wineries are supposed to do what exactly? Sit on wine.woot all day?

phizzo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phizzo
bobbyb0322 wrote:A wine.woot only woot off. Interesting.

I would have never imagined such a thing. F5ing for a new aerator!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

It's a wine-off! Or in some cases, a whine-off.....

doctorclark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages doctorclark

Lab Rat at last! We love Rhones (GSMs and Petite Syrahs, mostly), so this was a pleasant surprise (got the Petit Patriarche)

Mild musty earth nose.

Has a bit of a sting at first—almost like carbonation, but not unpleasant.

Once past the odd nose and sharp start, however, the flavors are great. Super chewy with strong red fruit—I thought it was like strawberry preserves, Mrs. Doctorclark tasted cherry and vanilla. Tastes great on its own, or with food.

Finishes are what I find most interesting in wines, and although this one has a nicer length finish, it is more alcohol flavored than the 14.3% would lead me to believe (maybe this is the acidity?).

After trying and taking notes, I did some homework and am now eager to try a single varietal Counoise, as that is where I think I picked up the strawberries from. It would be cool if some crazy vintner somewhere made a Counoise-Sangiovese blend…

What's it going to be then, eh?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bobbyb0322 wrote:A wine.woot only woot off. Interesting.

They did this for Tempranillo day a few months back. I'm suspecting all the offerings will be Grenache today and maybe tomorrow as well.

My only disappointment is no cool Woot Grenache Day graphic like we had on Temp day.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

hollyshilljosh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollyshilljosh

Hi all, Josh from Holly's Hill here. Ready to answer any questions unless I fall asleep after five days of bottling and one more tomor

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Cesar already got 'em...

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare
hollyshilljosh wrote:Hi all, Josh from Holly's Hill here. Ready to answer any questions unless I fall asleep after five days of bottling and one more tomor

Did you fall asleep mid sentence?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ChangoSHK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK
hollyshilljosh wrote:Hi all, Josh from Holly's Hill here. Ready to answer any questions unless I fall asleep after five days of bottling and one more tomor

Ha! Good night/morrow, Josh. Thanks for visiting.

pellis23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pellis23
tiger7610 wrote:And the labrats for the other wineries are supposed to do what exactly? Sit on wine.woot all day?

I just emailed that same question.

alrey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alrey

Oh no... And just a few days after I discovered my affection for the Grenache (particularly the Rhones).

Fare thee well, fall bonus check. I hardly knew ye...

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
Cesare wrote:Did you fall asleep mid sentence?

Not Josh here, but Larry Schaffer from tercero wines . . . and a member of the Rhone Ranger Board of Directors. We're psyched to be taking part in an International Grenache Day Woot Off celebrating a great varietal, and hope wooters will be on board for a long and fun ride today!

The wines Josh makes are beautifully elegant - you will NOT be disappointed whatsoever . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tiger7610

tercerowines wrote:Not Josh here, but Larry Schaffer from tercero wines . . . and a member of the Rhone Ranger Board of Directors. We're psyched to be taking part in an International Grenache Day Woot Off celebrating a great varietal, and hope wooters will be on board for a long and fun ride today!

The wines Josh makes are beautifully elegant - you will NOT be disappointed whatsoever . . .

Cheers!

Hi Larry, I tasted one of your wines (I was lab ratted that bottle), any idea when you are going to be up on woot, so I can make sure to post my review?

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday
doctorclark wrote:

Lab Rat at last! We love Rhones (GSMs and Petite Syrahs, mostly), so this was a pleasant surprise (got the Petit Patriarche)

Mild musty earth nose.

Has a bit of a sting at first—almost like carbonation, but not unpleasant.

Once past the odd nose and sharp start, however, the flavors are great. Super chewy with strong red fruit—I thought it was like strawberry preserves, Mrs. Doctorclark tasted cherry and vanilla. Tastes great on its own, or with food.

Finishes are what I find most interesting in wines, and although this one has a nicer length finish, it is more alcohol flavored than the 14.3% would lead me to believe (maybe this is the acidity?).

After trying and taking notes, I did some homework and am now eager to try a single varietal Counoise, as that is where I think I picked up the strawberries from. It would be cool if some crazy vintner somewhere made a Counoise-Sangiovese blend…

Two questions, doctor C--1) which of the two did you lab rat? and 2) whenever I hear "vanilla" I start to turn off on a wine, especially at this reasonable but a bit high price point for something completely foreign. How prominent is that vanilla flavor?

And if you had it (or anyone else who has had both), how does this compare the the Meeker forklift from a few weeks back? I was surprised how much I loved that one...

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

Sure on Grenache Day you have a Grenache-Off....on Cabernet day all we got was a crappy battery powered corkscrew.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
tiger7610 wrote:And the labrats for the other wineries are supposed to do what exactly? Sit on wine.woot all day?

I think Woot just assumes we're doing that anyways.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

darkrowan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkrowan

I always thought the like a good wine and cheese, woot-offs and wine-offs went together... my bad XD

/-1, Troll

tiger7610

redwinefan wrote:I think Woot just assumes we're doing that anyways.

I can just see myself asking my instructor if I can have my computer on during an exam because I'm supposed to be watching a wine.woot off

tercerowines

tiger7610 wrote:Hi Larry, I tasted one of your wines (I was lab ratted that bottle), any idea when you are going to be up on woot, so I can make sure to post my review?

I don't know the exact time - perhaps David should get on here and post a schedule - or at least email you guys and gals one . . .

Let's just say I've got a whole bunch of Trader Joe's French Roast brewing, the kids are sleeping, and I'm PSYCHED to be taking part in my first wine.woot experience for my wines . . . .

But nuf said about that - let's get back to the Holly Hill wines - they really are wonderfully elegant renditions of Grenache. My advice? Purchase them plus an assortment of other grenaches from around the state as the day goes on - this will give you a great overview of the what's happening with the variety these days . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Honored to have Josh on the boards tonight to kick of the Grenache Woot Off! Thanks for your Vintners Voicemail, looking forward to learning about this killer line-up of Rhone style producers.

We were talking Cali Rhone varietals back in May http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=17743

WineDavid was my Boss!

tercerowines

tiger7610 wrote:I can just see myself asking my instructor if I can have my computer on during an exam because I'm supposed to be watching a wine.woot off

I resemble that remark - I'm teaching an Intro to Winemaking course at the local Junior College - and I think I'd give extra credit points if you were tuned in to a grenache woot off all day long!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Just to verify my sanity, is Petit Patriarche the 2008?

The label on the bottle in the picture seems to say 2009. Either that or I'm starting to get late night hallucinations...

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good evening Josh!, thanks for joining us tonight and thanks to the Rhone Rangers for celebrating #GrenacheDay with us! What's on the bottling schedule tomorrow?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

greyday

jplamb wrote:Sure on Grenache Day you have a Grenache-Off....on Cabernet day all we got was a crappy battery powered corkscrew.

Every day is cabernet day in my house.

tercerowines

texacaliali wrote:Honored to have Josh on the boards tonight to kick of the Grenache Woot Off! Thanks for your Vintners Voicemail, looking forward to learning about this killer line-up of Rhone style producers.

We were talking Cali Rhone varietals back in May http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=17743

Did I meet you at HdR this year?!?!?!?

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare
tiger7610 wrote:I can just see myself asking my instructor if I can have my computer on during an exam because I'm supposed to be watching a wine.woot off

Write up your review and send it to me and I will post it.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

tiger7610

tercerowines wrote:I resemble that remark - I'm teaching an Intro to Winemaking course at the local Junior College - and I think I'd give extra credit points if you were tuned in to a grenache woot off all day long!!!

Sadly my class is Intro to Plant Pathology so probably would not flow well. I'm hoping I can catch you tomorrow, because I had some weird flavors from your wine, so maybe you can share what it was supposed to taste like

doctorclark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages doctorclark
greyday wrote:Two questions, doctor C--1) which of the two did you lab rat? and 2) whenever I hear "vanilla" I start to turn off on a wine, especially at this reasonable but a bit high price point for something completely foreign. How prominent is that vanilla flavor?

And if you had it (or anyone else who has had both), how does this compare the the Meeker forklift from a few weeks back? I was surprised how much I loved that one...

We got the Petit Patriarche, and the vanilla wasn't super strong to me. But from my wife's comments and the "candy" and "sweet tarts" comments in the writeup, I would think that all three refer to a general fruit-sweetness that my tongue just figures as preserves (but not necessarily the "jamminess" of Zins that are like that)

Didn't have the Meeker, alas..

What's it going to be then, eh?

amyck1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amyck1

LAB RAT REPORT-- Holly's Hill 2009 Grenache Noir

Long time wine.wooter, first time rat! Clearly that earlier rat is much smarter or drank less of his bottle cause I cannot make a cute pic, sorry.

Dark cardinal in color, with LEGS on the glass

Bright smell -- tobacco-berry?

Very bright flavor but dark tastes -- not deep flavor, but dark like earth or wood.

Dry finish, I think from high alcohol content? I shared with 2 friends. One hated it, the other really liked it and I did too!

sdilullo

quality posts: 38 Private Messages sdilullo
redwinefan wrote:They did this for Tempranillo day a few months back. I'm suspecting all the offerings will be Grenache today and maybe tomorrow as well.

That's what I was thinking.

Going to be too busy to spend much time on here this weekend. Probably a good thing for my wallet...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 282
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

greyday

doctorclark wrote:We got the Petit Patriarche, and the vanilla wasn't super strong to me. But from my wife's comments and the "candy" and "sweet tarts" comments in the writeup, I would think that all three refer to a general fruit-sweetness that my tongue just figures as preserves (but not necessarily the "jamminess" of Zins that are like that)

Didn't have the Meeker, alas..

If you like the tart but fruity/black fruit tasting wines, I highly HIGHLY recommend the Meeker if it comes back up during this 'off. I'll be picking up more if it shows it's pretty cartoon-labeled face...

As for this one I'm still on the fence, but I appreciate your report and response, its definitely helped narrow it a bit.

sdsmith93

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sdsmith93

Maybe there is a way to post now and have it show up when it is time? Would the moderator know?

Sherri D. Smith

abatt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages abatt

Whenever they come up, please send me 3 cases of Pedrocelli Rose or mixed case. Thanks.
ps. If I am sleeping, I will make it up when I arise.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tercerowines wrote:
Let's just say I've got a whole bunch of Trader Joe's French Roast brewing, the kids are sleeping, and I'm PSYCHED to be taking part in my first wine.woot experience for my wines . . . .

...pound that coffee Larry, no sleep on Grenache day!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

amyck1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amyck1
tiger7610 wrote:Sadly my class is Intro to Plant Pathology so probably would not flow well. I'm hoping I can catch you tomorrow, because I had some weird flavors from your wine, so maybe you can share what it was supposed to taste like

Hel-lo? Botrytis? I am 100% confident my intro plant path class had discussions of wine grapes! Back to studying for you!

tiger7610

Caesar, I pmed you my labrat review. I'm going to bed, but I look forward to following the grenache day

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Hi, are the grapes organically grown?