mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

Scott Harvey wines are almost an autobuy for me after trying a holiday mixed case almost a year ago. When will another mixed case make itself known? I liked every single wine in that one - the white and rose were refreshing, slightly sweet and nicely flavored, and all the reds from the old world style to the one last kiss table wine were full with a rich mouth-feel and sumptuous while being easy to drink because they were just so darn tasty. And while there was a fabulous zin in that mix, it was not the InZINerator that I've been wanting to try for a while. I'm in for 2. Maybe 3 if I decide I need a couple bottles for gifts this year...

Apathy0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Apathy0

Mr Harvey, I would like to state publicly, that, while everyone from your vineyard with whom I have dealt has been more than helpful, Monica is just fantastic.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

In for one. The wife is the bigger wine fan, but have never been steered wrong here.

I bought the 2007 but we haven't opened any yet. Any advice from the sages out there as to good timing for tbe 2007 and 2008?

thanks!

Last wooter to woot: lacotomo

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
mawy wrote:Scott Harvey wines are almost an autobuy for me after trying a holiday mixed case almost a year ago. When will another mixed case make itself known? I liked every single wine in that one - the white and rose were refreshing, slightly sweet and nicely flavored, and all the reds from the old world style to the one last kiss table wine were full with a rich mouth-feel and sumptuous while being easy to drink because they were just so darn tasty. And while there was a fabulous zin in that mix, it was not the InZINerator that I've been wanting to try for a while. I'm in for 2. Maybe 3 if I decide I need a couple bottles for gifts this year...

Given that Woot has been favoring the mixed case as an item, with a lot of Mondays being mixed cases of late, and given that we generally get a couple of Scott Harvey items in a year, I'm optimistic.

But that may just be because I want to buy one myself.

twiggygp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twiggygp

Did you code this yourself Cesare?

Cesare wrote:Scott Harvey 2008 InZINerator - 3 Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 3 Scott Harvey 2008 InZINerator
CT link above

Winery website

Twitter

Facebook
Yelp

Previous offers:
8/9/10 (2007)
7/27/09 (2006)
8/25/08 (2004)

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Scott's Inzinerator is an autobuy for me. I'm a huge fan of his 2006 Inzin, only 2 bottles left might have to go and ask around and see if anyone is willing to sell. I like the 2007 as well, although the high alcohol really hit me last time, and now I'm excited for the 2008. I wasnt a huge fan of the one last kiss red, but it is still a great wine. I love the 2006 label, and would love to see more of the character labels since we know all NC will never allow scott to ship there.

wardad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wardad
wardad wrote: Here's another lot 18 invite link (https://www.lot18.com/i/Patrick87873)
-snip-
Lot 18 is a good weapon to have in your wine arsenal, but it will certainly remain secondary to Wine.Woot. I use Lot18 to get a European wine now and then. But its impossible for them to beat the California options you get with Woot. And you don't get anywhere near the education that you get here.
-snip-

p2002 wrote:
Thx for the invite, someone PM'd me prior though.
I agree that WW is CA centric and I am perfectly fine with this. I have a few years ahead of me getting to know this one region before I can claim any type of confident insight. As you said the discussion\education happening on these forums makes this my go-to site, however it is always good to open ones options.
thx again.
rk

Yes, you really only need wine.woot for a while. California (and Oregon) etc. has all the awesome world-class wine you need, with huge variety, and wine.woot makes more of it available than you could possibly drink.

WTSO and Lot18 can bring you great deals (though not as thickly), but you need to do your own research, which will never be as good as what you get here. Wine.woot (a) brings the research to you, (b) brings the wine-makers to you, and (c) provides savvy, friendly enthusiasts to discuss the wine with you.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

ChangoSHK wrote:I tried Lot18 today for the first time, as I had a coupon for newbies and there's free shipping til 7am (Friday).

I can only report that it took two days for their customer service to phone regarding my question about shipping charges, but they were friendly and clear with their information. I'm hoping for better luck than you had.

Looking at their site made me really appreciate what I've gotten from wine.woot, the only place I've ever bought wine online, but clearly wine.woot won't be able to proffer Priorat.

Yrs,
Steve

Priorat - Wooters! will love these robust red wines.

WineDavid was my Boss!

candlesticky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candlesticky
PhilSandifer wrote:15.5% ABV? I mean, of course I'm going to buy it. But that seems really high for Scott Harvey. Since I'm sure he'll be by, I'm curious why such an atypical alcohol level for his stuff.

That was one of the points that sold me! Chewy, fruity, port-y, IN FOR 3--BOO-YAH!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
Routerhead wrote:Anyone have any thoughts as to how this compares with the 2004? I adored that wine.

2004 was all Amador County. It was 76% Zinfandel with the balance being Barbera. There was no Forte used to bring the wine to .8% residual sugar. That year we used grape juice concentrate. The wine was only 13.5% alcohol and had a very low pH (high acidity) at 3.46pH. Today the wine is aging nicely due to the low pH. It does have a carmel note due to the concentrate.

ScottHarveyWines

p2002 wrote:Hi Scott. Glad to see you back here on WW. Your 2007 InZINerator was one of my first WW purchases (primarily based on your community reputation, and in spite of the muted response the 2006 InZIN.) I am a fan of Zinfandel as this was my 2nd foray into a specific varietal (after Chardonnay.) However - and this is my question - I am not liking the 2007 blend as much as I would hope. So, is your Jena/1869 a little more varietal centric, or are you searching out to modify your blending technique to reach out to a specific following. It would seem this wine almost could be made into a meritage.
BTW I picked up the Gazzi 2007 PN offer - I gotta say, feels a little like stealing. Great job on that.
Hope you had a nice visit here in NE OH this past Summer - Sorry I was not in town to say a proper hello.
All the best,
rk

The Vineyard 1869, Mt. Selection Zinfandel and J&S Old Vine Zinfandel are all made in the old world style. They are dry with lower alcohols, made to go with food. The InZinerator and Jana Napa Valley Zinfandel are made in the new world style, only with the pH being lower than most new world wines. Gazzi 2007 PN is also made in the old world style.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The Vineyard 1869, Mt. Selection Zinfandel and J&S Old Vine Zinfandel are all made in the old world style. They are dry with lower alcohols, made to go with food. The InZinerator and Jana Napa Valley Zinfandel are made in the new world style, only with the pH being lower than most new world wines. Gazzi 2007 PN is also made in the old world style.

So, I am showing an old world style bent?
I am finding I like lower etoh levels, and have always preferred a dry wine.

aharrover

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aharrover

I'm going to pass on this. I have some of this and, while I don't mind drinking it, it does seem kinda sweet for a zin.

ScottHarveyWines

Apathy0 wrote:Mr Harvey, I would like to state publicly, that, while everyone from your vineyard with whom I have dealt has been more than helpful, Monica is just fantastic.

Thanks, I'll pass it on to Monica. She along with Kelsey and Phyllis are a fabulous Sutter Creek tasting room team. They will be hosting a grape stomping contest next weekend on Saturday the 24th.

christinetove2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages christinetove2

I too was the lucky recipient of the Golden Ticket this offering. I was so pleasantly surprised and most importantly the object of envy as the bottle arrived at my desk yesterday at work. Jealousy is such a powerful tool in office dynamics. So for this I thank you Woot!

The timing of this arrival was ideal - #1 - our choices of wine had dwindled in our home, as could be seen by my many purchases during the wine woot-off, so I was happy to have no struggle deciding what to open, or need to stop to pick up anything. + #2 - when checking possible suggested pairings, I had planned on grilling burgers already for dinner, while serving the kids another choice that included a tangy type sauce. Perfect! Couldn't have planned that better. AND an excellent excuse to eat food off the kids' plates.

Now that I've shown what stage of life / maturity level I'm at... here are our thoughts:

We opened the bottle around 5pm. Struggled a bit with the cork as it seemed content to still be in the bottle. Cork intact, removal a success, I stood and pondered what I was supposed to do next? OK. I poured a glass and noted the very color and strong alcohol smell but also fruit hiding ready to come out. Tasted and noted that our initial thoughts were alcohol, acidic, plum type fruit, sharp finish. This needs to take a breath, I began to cook dinner, knowing that I was headed out for a meeting at 7:00 so I had to get rolling.

Around 6:00 we poured again and felt it settled down, it was less alcohol-in-your-face and felt it had allowed for the fruit (which my husband kept saying was plum-like) to come forward. We tasted throughout dinner and I felt it paired very well with our perfectly grilled burgers (if I may say so...) but I particularly noted how well it went with the tangy sauce similar to cocktail franks sauce on the kids' plates. (Seriously people we have more class than this I promise).

Afterwards drinking independently from a meal I tasted at this point as very distinct peppery, fruity (but not sweet) wine.

As I left to solve all the worlds' problems in an evening at a meeting, my husband aerated his next sampling and said it was just right. Plum, Pepper, Chocolate. Nice dry wine that he now instructed we needed to buy.

So while I would have been in automatically for the Scott Harvey of this offering, I was very pleased with this opportunity. I am much more of a white drinker, while my husband sticks to red. I will add this to my list of go tos. In for 3.

lannycohorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lannycohorn

Thanks. I requested an invite but this is MUCH Faster!

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
ScottHarveyWines wrote:2004 was all Amador County. It was 76% Zinfandel with the balance being Barbera. There was no Forte used to bring the wine to .8% residual sugar. That year we used grape juice concentrate. The wine was only 13.5% alcohol and had a very low pH (high acidity) at 3.46pH. Tiday the wine is aging nicely due to the low pH. It does have a carmel note due to the concentrate.

Is there any way to still get the 2004 and/or 2006? I only saw the 07 & 08 available on your website. Big thanks for your participation - hearing from the winemakers is probably my favorite aspect of wine.woot!

I especially like that you are also a fellow wooter. I remember being on the fence one time about a woot offering and you popped in and gave a thumbs up which pushed me into the "buy" category. I think it was the Sattui Reisling.

euphonywho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages euphonywho

I've used Lot18 a few times. As was said, you have to do your own research, but good deals can be found. There was an Oregon Riesling the girlfriend adored, L'Uvaggio Nebbilio, and an order for some decently priced CdP. Orders shipped pretty fast, and because I'm in CA, mostly overnight. (High rent, fast wine shipping).

But. Can't beat Wine.Woot for the CA deals, and the conversation. No where else are you going to find winemakers celebrating with "KA-CHOW!" a little after midnight. Now, wine.woot staff need to stop reading these and ship my Peter Wellington!

And, too bad my rack is full. Sounds like my ideal fall wine. Need more space!

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Raid wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am an honored first time lab rat and frankly a little intimidated by the other reviews as I am just not that sophisticated from a wine drinkers point of view. In any case, I will give it a shot.

I actually discovered this wine 2 or 3 months ago at my local Specs in my town near Houston. The "wine guy" there recommended this Zin as a more affordable alternative to Rombauer which I very much like. He said it had 5% (I think) Port mixed and so was a bit "sweeter". I am always looking for a red that my lovely bride will enjoy with me as in general she says Reds taste like cough syrup and so she sticks with whites.

Usually, I am just a wine sipper after dinner if at home. In other words, it's water or iced tea for me with my means and after dinner while relaxing or before dinner while cooking/grilling I'll pop open a bottle. I generally don't drink a whole bottle in one night, but will split it over 2 nights and find I like the wine better the second day.

I agree with one of the earlier posts that this was a DIFFICULT bottle to open. When open I poured a glass and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. It is a slightly darker than usual red and has an up front peppery smell followed by leather and maybe cherry or blueberry type aromas.

Drinking it, I notice a spicy taste up front with nice berry flavor not too sweet (but definitely sweeter than other reds) finish again with a little pepper at the end.

My opinion is that this would be great with barbeque that is dry rubbed and then topped with a Texas, KC, or Memphis style sauce (tangier/sweeter sauces). I think you could do Tex-Mex including chicken fajitas (which is what I will finish it with tonight).

I usually pay about $14-$15 per bottle at Specs.

Thanks for the review and congrats on getting the Golden Ticket! Every once in awhile a labrat report slips by the moderators and doesn't get the graphic added to the post.

Hopefully they will add it to the original post but in the spirit of Monkey 2nd Prize, allow me to offer up this repost, with graphic added - almost as good as the "official" badge of honor!

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

Scott, I love your wines, but hate that there's no delivery to Louisiana. Oh well, maybe next time.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

neednewisp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neednewisp

I'm a long time lurker. This is my first wine woot purchase. Thanks for the labrat reports. It sounds awesome. I love a good zin.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

Scott Harvey = Easy purchase. In for 3 and in for 3 of the 1869 on that "other site" (thanks for the headsup fellow wooters!)

Last wooter to woot: tjhoulihan

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Raid wrote:Can someone explain how to get the Lab Rat graphic to show up on my review. My first time reviewing (see post a littler earlier) and I am feeling a little left out...

Don't worry, our sharp eyed moderator crew will almost always catch these reports and fancy them up. ;) Which is to say if you don't see it within a few hours we are either asleep or something got set on fire and we could use a PM nudge.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Raid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raid
Raid wrote:Can someone explain how to get the Lab Rat graphic to show up on my review. My first time reviewing (see post a littler earlier) and I am feeling a little left out...

Got it.

ScottHarveyWines

chipgreen wrote:Is there any way to still get the 2004 and/or 2006? I only saw the 07 & 08 available on your website. Big thanks for your participation - hearing from the winemakers is probably my favorite aspect of wine.woot!

The 2004 and 2006 are all sold out. Monica ended up taking the rest out of her private cellar for customers in the tasting room. We have approx. 35 cases of the 2007 left and should be out by the end of the month, switching into the 2008.

padiddles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages padiddles
chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the reply. FWIW, this was just like 6 weeks ago when they had Twisted Oak's "The Spaniard" on sale.

On Lot18 - I've ordered from them a bunch, but have found recently that on A LOT of occasions you will find the same wine for the same or cheaper on the web.

I feel like they may be trying to pound things now - you see about three/four offerings a day - and they don't get the deals they used to get. IMHO, of course.

WTSO is usually "a deal" but a lot of their ratings are jokes, as they're rated by the guy who runs the site. So - as long as you don't get lulled in by that - I think they are generally up front about whether what they're selling is "a deal"

Woot = always at least some discount. We complain here when it's not 40%, but those other sites that compete in this space will MANY times have a non-discount or a mark-up - so, you're always left wondering... and they don't have a board like this where discerning customers take them to task. (they don't have the balls, I guess)

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

neednewisp wrote:I'm a long time lurker. This is my first wine woot purchase. Thanks for the labrat reports. It sounds awesome. I love a good zin.

welcome!

WineDavid was my Boss!

megsailor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megsailor

thanks for the Lot 18 invite also!

and likewise returning the favor if someone needs it:

Lot 18

Routerhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Routerhead

Last wooter to woot: Routerhead

ChangoSHK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK
padiddles wrote: [snip] Woot = always at least some discount. We complain here when it's not 40%, but those other sites that compete in this space will MANY times have a non-discount or a mark-up - so, you're always left wondering... and they don't have a board like this where discerning customers take them to task. (they don't have the balls, I guess)

All that, plus, the meager shipping charges here make all the difference in the world regarding the actual price paid. {Which won't prevent me from grousing that on this cool day we're still paying summer shipping }

Plus, and I'm not just sucking up, it's a pleasure to be here learning from all of you, and to read a board every day where no one is snippy or rude and always informative or, at very least, fun.

Thanks, wootfellows.

Steve

ChangoSHK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK

Okay, my dastardly trigger finger just inZINerated my credit card, within the same hour that I ordered a 50-CD set by the Orchestra Philharmonique de Liège of mostly Flemish composers. Although I found the self-control to order only one set of three of the inZIN.

These buttons, big yellow or otherwise are just too easy. It should be so easy to find a mate.

Today I'm really digging the woot's Praxis Pinot Noir. I thought I didn't care much for Pinor Noir. Guess I'm wrong.

In the meanwhile, thanks, Scott!

To everyone here: ¡Salud!

Steve

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

since i said yesterday that the inzenerator was one of my favorite woots, and thus i bought the 1869 from the other site... i guess it would be hypocritical if i pass this up... in for 3... wallet is screaming a bit though....

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

InferZin. Win-win.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Got my 6 pack of Hahn Cab_Franc yesterday, it was like Christmas morning. Decanted it for about 1&1/2 hrs, chomping at the bit, Holy Moly what a great wine and at under $60 for 6 bottles, already wish I had bought 2 cases. Mummmmmmmm good! Don't know how long the other 5 will last.
Thank you wine woot!!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
ChangoSHK wrote:Today I'm really digging the woot's Praxis Pinot Noir. I thought I didn't care much for Pinor Noir. Guess I'm wrong.

Huh, I was thinking about opening one of mien for dinner tonight... tasty, eh?

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I bought 2 Jana Cathedrals a few weeks ago, 8 1869's for Lot18 and 3 of these...

I'm dying to try some other SH wines.
Namely Barbera and the zins I have yet to try.

Any chance Mr. Harvey would extend some generous discount for wines from his site for a fan of his craft?

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jimmythewoot
fredrinaldi wrote:Got my 6 pack of Hahn Cab_Franc yesterday, it was like Christmas morning.

Oh, I almost jumped at that. I'm a big Hahn fan. But money is tight, and it was either my meds or a 6-pack of Hahn.

And then Woot! went and offered up the InZin. I'll be off my meds next week...

Onomatopoeia. It's not what it sounds like.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

What Scott said about food pairings with this wine is absolutely on the money. However, we've found that the InZIN works very well with a roasted beet salad with mixed greens and goat cheese. Roasting the beets accentuates the natural sugar in them and the sweetness in this wine is perfect with that. I'll probably be serving some of the '07 with that salad to my benefit dinner guests in 2 weeks. I usually try to feature one or more Scott Harvey wines on that dinner menu, always with great results. BTW, when I have this wine accompanying a salad, I'll serve it after the main course.
This is an outstanding deal, folks, even better than the wine club members are getting in the current shipment, which is due to arrive on Monday. Don't miss out on an opportunity like this.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jharvpartnerinwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jharvpartnerinwine
deckerbrian wrote:I bought 2 Jana Cathedrals a few weeks ago, 8 1869's for Lot18 and 3 of these...

Any chance Mr. Harvey would extend some generous discount for wines from his site for a fan of his craft?

Right now we have a special on our 2008 Scott Harvey Mountain Zinfandel on our website - 20% off. We got 96 points on that wine from Beverage Testing Institute and it's flying. don't miss it!

ScottHarveyWines

deckerbrian wrote:I bought 2 Jana Cathedrals a few weeks ago, 8 1869's for Lot18 and 3 of these...

Stay tuned, I have a funny feeling I may have something else coming up soon.