InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
greyday wrote:Read the product description; they're moving the weekend sale from Thu-Sun to Fri-Sun...

Read again -- the Friday deal will be sold on Friday only. Then there will be a Saturday deal, available on Sat only. Lather, rinse, repeat.

pasnowangel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pasnowangel
MichaelWB wrote:Dont wait..1869 has less than 6 hours left on lot18.

No shipping to WV. Very sad!

fitzpanther

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fitzpanther

Question for Scott: Now that the label is without "cartoon characters" will NC allow for shipment? I would love to purchase this wine if so!

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

One day the man will grace us with his Babera again

robiereader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robiereader

Zombie wine! I pulled this out to serve to friends one evening and BOTH of them are now hopelesly wine.woot-addicted after one glass of the stuff. Yep, I'm buying.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123

I am predicting a sell out here on the first Friday only offering. The 2007 was a favorite of both my wife and my brother in law, so there is no doubt that I must get 3. As for the rest of you, be assured that the 2006 was an aberration.

The 2007 was not a traditional Zin taste in any sense, but a fun and enjoyable wine that almost anyone can like. Go for it and have a little fun in your life.

wolfen17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wolfen17

I had to go check the stash to see what I had. One bottle of 2006 and 2 bottles of the 2007. Unlike most people on here, I prefer the 2006. So, if this one is somewhere in between....ok...you got me...I am going to buy it.

I also love to give bottles to close friends since I find this such an unusual wine. It's very good, but it's something you don't find everyday.

knotheadusc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc

Well, I just ordered one and my order apparently went through... but I live in NC and noticed after the fact that my state wasn't on the list.

Hmmm...

otisskavier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otisskavier

Yep... in for 3!

I got the 2007 InZINerator as my very first WW back on 9/22/2010 and was blown away. That was around the time I first started really getting into heavy reds (zins in particular). I went through the first two bottles in a matter of a few days, but have been hoarding the rest because I don't want to run out...

Hopefully, this new juice lives up to it's big brother! If so, this time I won't be sad that I only ordered one.

knotheadusc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc
knotheadusc wrote:Well, I just ordered one and my order apparently went through... but I live in NC and noticed after the fact that my state wasn't on the list.

Hmmm...

I see now why the order went through. Somehow, the state on my shipping address got changed from NC to CA. I'm disappointed. I remember liking this wine when I lived in GA.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
fitzpanther wrote:Question for Scott: Now that the label is without "cartoon characters" will NC allow for shipment? I would love to purchase this wine if so!

We re-submitted it with the Z label and they still turned us down.

tmacfarlan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages tmacfarlan
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We re-submitted it with the Z label and they still turned us down.

Thanks for trying, Scott. If we visit your tasting room will some of this be available? I was able to snag a bottle on my last trip to Sonoma courtesy of w.w, but sadly it was only one.

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We re-submitted it with the Z label and they still turned us down.

I deleted a lengthy, unproductive rant and will just say: that is absolutely poooonyic of them.

Is Vermont in your sights or are we equally draconian?

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
MichaelWB wrote:Thanks for the info... that is one I looked at hard concerning buying..sounds like some awesome juice. I just bite the bullet and bough the 1869, I did click the wait till fall shipping option...so I'll see what happens.

Think I'll pass on the Inzin though... have a feeling WD has some yummyiness in store for this "opening weekend"

Someone wish to send out an invite code to lot 18? pm me thx

Returning the favor:
Lot18 invite

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

Not really jazzed about a 15.5 alc content. Really?

COME ON MAN, I MEAN COME ON MAN!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NwW3GCn7k

ScottHarveyWines

tmacfarlan wrote:Thanks for trying, Scott. If we visit your tasting room will some of this be available? I was able to snag a bottle on my last trip to Sonoma courtesy of w.w, but sadly it was only one.

We still have the 2007 in the tasting room. They do have some of the 2008 in inventory. Tell them you are a wooter and would like the 2008. They will get it for you.

Raid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raid

Hi Everyone,

I am an honored first time lab rat and frankly a little intimidated by the other reviews as I am just not that sophisticated from a wine drinkers point of view. In any case, I will give it a shot.

I actually discovered this wine 2 or 3 months ago at my local Specs in my town near Houston. The "wine guy" there recommended this Zin as a more affordable alternative to Rombauer which I very much like. He said it had 5% (I think) Port mixed and so was a bit "sweeter". I am always looking for a red that my lovely bride will enjoy with me as in general she says Reds taste like cough syrup and so she sticks with whites.

Usually, I am just a wine sipper after dinner if at home. In other words, it's water or iced tea for me with my means and after dinner while relaxing or before dinner while cooking/grilling I'll pop open a bottle. I generally don't drink a whole bottle in one night, but will split it over 2 nights and find I like the wine better the second day.

I agree with one of the earlier posts that this was a DIFFICULT bottle to open. When open I poured a glass and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. It is a slightly darker than usual red and has an up front peppery smell followed by leather and maybe cherry or blueberry type aromas.

Drinking it, I notice a spicy taste up front with nice berry flavor not too sweet (but definitely sweeter than other reds) finish again with a little pepper at the end.

My opinion is that this would be great with barbeque that is dry rubbed and then topped with a Texas, KC, or Memphis style sauce (tangier/sweeter sauces). I think you could do Tex-Mex including chicken fajitas (which is what I will finish it with tonight).

I usually pay about $14-$15 per bottle at Specs.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We still have the 2007 in the tasting room. They do have some of the 2008 in inventory. Tell them you are a wooter and would like the 2008. They will get it for you.

Scott - My family loves your wines. Thanks for the great spirit you put into making them and making them fun.

It is pretty unusual for a wine maker to have 50-99 wines purchased on wine woot. So, you are a wooter as well!

What style/types wines do you like to try?

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy
Daystar wrote:One day the man will grace us with his Babera again

Ahhh, that was very nice.

guitartate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guitartate
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi everyone, great to be back on woot. This is your wine. It was the wooters that helped develop the style when we decided to move away from the sweeter 2006 style back to the earlier styles in making the 2007. Now you're the first to be offered the 2008 on a pre-release offering only on woot. The 2007 and 2008 are similar in most aspects except the alcohol. The starting alcohol in the base blend started out higher, so when the final component was added, the Forte, it incresaed the overall alcohol by 1%. The amount of Forte is actually less in the 2008 (5%) compared to the 2007 at 6%. This wine has always been produced more in the new world style. What I like to call walk around wines. It is a wine that drinks well by it self, because Americans drink a lot of wine without food. When having the wine with food, it goes best with heavier dishes that have a sweeter sauce. Barbecued ribs with chile comes to mind. It is great with a cigar. In this vintage the wine is all Amador County. The Zinfandel is from the Bowman Vineyard, which also produces our Mt. Selection Zinfandel. The Syrah is from the York Vineyard in Fiddletown and the Forte is from the DeWitt Vineyard.

>>Hi Scott not sucking up but I a big Zin fan and have tried many different styles. I still find this one an excellent bang for the buck and great balance of a Zin without being too hedonistic as many others are. I think that is probably why it pairs well with food and my gullet. Thanks man!

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

As the other Tar Heels (North Carolinians are Tar Heels, even if they root for Duke!) have already said, thanks for trying!

Reckon I'll just buy some Zin locally....

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

guitartate

>>>Dang communists. I guess they think kids are going to go out and wine bong a bunch of fine wine vs getting cheap stuff. What kid will pay 15 bucks for a bottle of wine to get drunk on????

ScottHarveyWines

joeman123 wrote:Scott - My family loves your wines. Thanks for the great spirit you put into making them and making them fun.

It is pretty unusual for a wine maker to have 50-99 wines purchased on wine woot. So, you are a wooter as well!

What style/types wines do you like to try?

I find woot the best place to consistently get all types of good wines at the best price. WineDavid and Drew Thurman are always looking for unique wines and hammering us on having the best posted price. I have to try as many different wines as possible so I can keep learning as a winemaker. If I drank only my wines, I would get used to my own mistakes and my wines would not be as good. A great musician has to practice everyday. A good winemaker has to try all kinds of wines regularly as well. I find wine.woot the best place for variety and price. I like both "New World" and "Old World" style wines, but tend to stay away from wines that have a pH higher than 3.8pH.

Routerhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Routerhead

Anyone have any thoughts as to how this compares with the 2004? I adored that wine.

candlesticky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candlesticky
brainchasm wrote:(Rat Report)

Suggestions: If it overwhelms the food, skip the food. If it fell apart, you didn't drink it fast enough. I crack myself up.

guitartate

candlesticky wrote:Suggestions: If it overwhelms the food, skip the food. If it fell apart, you didn't drink it fast enough. I crack myself up.

>>>Well you have valid points though. I mean pairing some foods makes it taste like alcohol. Spicy foods make Zins taste well spicy. So I tend to forego the food and drink standalone and Scott eluded that many americans do. I mean for food wines one doesn't have to spend much. So I agree and digress...

p2002

Hi Scott. Glad to see you back here on WW. Your 2007 InZINerator was one of my first WW purchases (primarily based on your community reputation, and in spite of the muted response the 2006 InZIN.) I am a fan of Zinfandel as this was my 2nd foray into a specific varietal (after Chardonnay.) However - and this is my question - I am not liking the 2007 blend as much as I would hope. So, is your Jena/1869 a little more varietal centric, or are you searching out to modify your blending technique to reach out to a specific following. It would seem this wine almost could be made into a meritage.
BTW I picked up the Gazzi 2007 PN offer - I gotta say, feels a little like stealing. Great job on that.
Hope you had a nice visit here in NE OH this past Summer - Sorry I was not in town to say a proper hello.
All the best,
rk

wardad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wardad

Here's another lot 18 invite link (https://www.lot18.com/i/Patrick87873)

If you're in NoVA, I'll make it up to you sometime. ;)

Some particularly good deals come up just for the afternoon on Friday's.

Lot 18 is a good weapon to have in your wine arsenal, but it will certainly remain secondary to Wine.Woot. I use Lot18 to get a European wine now and then. But its impossible for them to beat the California options you get with Woot. And you don't get anywhere near the education that you get here.

Shipping is not quite as good either. With UPS, you can't redirect to a pick-up until after they try one delivery. This is very annoying. And I don't think the summer shipping is as good. They try, but that always-have-to-try-at-least-once give you 1.5 days of sitting in a hot truck, rather than .5 days. Not good. Pick the "Wait until Fall" option.

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

Tried the 07 that I purchased during a woot off earlier this year. I really love zin, but didn't like the overpowering port taste when you first open the bottle. Looking forward to offerings of other varietals from Mr. Harvey based on his reputation around here.

ChangoSHK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK
Ramrod wrote:Can you post the coupon deal on deals.woot.com?

I just signed up for lot18 this week and would be mighty interested in the 1869.

I'm afraid it was one of those one-day deal things from another site, which has now expired. Perhaps you might contact their customer service to inquire how and if...

Raid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raid

Can someone explain how to get the Lab Rat graphic to show up on my review. My first time reviewing (see post a littler earlier) and I am feeling a little left out...

ChangoSHK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChangoSHK
p2002 wrote:Someone wish to send out an invite code to lot 18? pm me thx

i couldn't figure how to do a private message. sigh. if someone could PM me about just thta, id be grateful. meanwhile.. here's an invite code:
https://www.lot18.com/i/steven341059

p2002

wardad wrote:Here's another lot 18 invite link.

If you're in NoVA, I'll make it up to you sometime. ;)

Some particularly good deals come up just for the afternoon on Friday's.

Lot 18 is a good weapon to have in your wine arsenal, but it will certainly remain secondary to Wine.Woot. I use Lot18 to get a European wine now and then. But its impossible for them to beat the California options you get with Woot. And you don't get anywhere near the education that you get here.

Shipping is not quite as good either. With UPS, you can't redirect to a pick-up until after they try one delivery. This is very annoying. And I don't think the summer shipping is as good. They try, but that always-have-to-try-at-least-once give you 1.5 days of sitting in a hot truck, rather than .5 days. Not good. Pick the "Wait until Fall" option.

Thx for the invite, someone PM'd me prior though.
I agree that WW is CA centric and I am perfectly fine with this. I have a few years ahead of me getting to know this one region before I can claim any type of confident insight. As you said the discussion\education happening on these forums makes this my go-to site, however it is always good to open ones options.
thx again.
rk

Returning the favor:
lot18 invite

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge

I am stoked to get in on this, partly because I love port (and the idea of a touch of port + Zin seems SUPER!), but also because the previous offer was the 2007 magnums, and I've not yet had a good occasion to justify opening a magnum.

No, I don't need volunteers, thanks.

p2002

ChangoSHK wrote:i couldn't figure how to do a private message. sigh. if someone could PM me about just thta, id be grateful. meanwhile.. here's an invite code:

Just to the right of the posters name is a envelope, click on that and your there.
rk

orthancstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orthancstone

Wow, time flies. Hard to believe the 07 was over a year ago. I've been storing them to keep from drinking my supply too quickly. Now I'll have to pop one open soon to celebrate the 08s coming!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
pcuccaro wrote:North Carolina banned the wine because the label would attract minors and make them want to drink. See more info here.

Because all the young kids totally go crazy and stock up on fine wines for a house party when their parents go out of town, right?

Legislative silliness continues to amuse!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

tmacfarlan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages tmacfarlan
inkwench wrote:As the other Tar Heels (North Carolinians are Tar Heels, even if they root for Duke!) have already said, thanks for trying!

Reckon I'll just buy some Zin locally....

With all the NC folks chiming in on this thread, I'd like to bring up the fact that some folks here have been trying to get a w.w gathering in NC going for a bit. Here's the link:
http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2850566&PageIndex=2&ReplyCount=64#post3668111

mbmiche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mbmiche

Just my two cents...

Not a fan of the '06... Loved the '07 (all 16 bottles of it...). Hoping to love the '08 also.

in for 2

And another 2 cents...

Lot 18 is a good secondary wine website that offers varietals from regions aplenty. Wine.woot is the go-to/primary site for California (and occasionally NY, MI...) wines, and the forums (that you are reading now) make wine.woot heads and feet above any of the other sites in terms of educating the consumer and providing confidence before purchase of a never before quaffed bottle.

And since everyone else is...

Lot 18 membership invite
(I have only ordered from here 4 times, but every time the cs has been helpful and the deliveries routine.)

mellman99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mellman99
ChangoSHK wrote:i couldn't figure how to do a private message. sigh. if someone could PM me about just thta, id be grateful. meanwhile.. here's an invite code:

Thanks for the invite! For your PM needs just click on the envelope next to the persons name you wish to PM.