1 1.8kg Plastic Barrel Mani Foods Kalamata Whole Greek Olives

Product Website

Previous offers:
7/30/10
7/21/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

Are these with or without pits?

I'd buy if they are pitted (without pits).

cinderella1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cinderella1

Way to salty. I am a saltaholic and these
were too much for me!

You crack me up.
Of course I crack me up on a regular basis.

Spyrus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Spyrus

You have to really like olives to get this. It is a LOT of olives but they a really good.

Just as an aside, if you refrigerate these you will notice a white solid form at the top of the jar. This is gross to dig through and coats the olives as well so they need a good rinsing. If you leave it on the counter this won't solidify so you won't see the problem.

I have heard mixed things about how long they last on the counter but they are in a brine so they should last with no issues.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

Can we please have a wine I'd like to buy next? You know the ones I'm talking about.

rpstrong

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rpstrong
Cesare wrote:Mani Foods Imported Kalamata Whole Greek Olives
$19.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Plump
PRODUCT:
1 1.8kg Plastic Barrel Mani Foods Kalamata Whole Greek Olives

Product Website

Previous offers:
7/30/10
7/21/11

Check again, the previous offers were for the mix - these are just one kind.

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

They are whole olives, so with pits. Personally I prefer olives with pits. More flavorful.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

mrbean007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrbean007
rebeltreble wrote:They are whole olives, so with pits. Personally I prefer olives with pits. More flavorful.

Refurbished ones have a lot of flavor too. Or so I've heard.

deckerbrian

Personally, I prefer olives in the garbage. They're gross.

I also prefer wine on wine woot.

I usually hate all the complainers, but this is kinda fun even though I'm just PWNYin for the fun of it.

cashew

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cashew
emccarl wrote:Are these with or without pits?

I'd buy if they are pitted (without pits).

I believe that the ones in the black Jar are with Pits.

I am the Cashew. Goo Goo Ja Goob.

deckerbrian

See below....

deckerbrian

Oh no, I've been "bleeped"!

Now I'm going to 7734 for sure.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Olives are a big hit in my house. Can anyone give me a general idea of the size of this barrel? A google conversion of 1.8kg is almost 4 lbs. Is that right?

And to the person who asked if they were pitted, it says "whole olives" so I'm guessing no. As in, yes...pits.

J

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I ordered the mix of both pitted and with. I haven't got to the one's with the pits, but I am very impressed with the quality of these olives. I will surely purchase the mix again, if it is offered, and am debating about pulling the trigger on this one.

Yes, mine are salty, but no more than other brined olives I have tried. Everyone that I have shared the mix with liked them.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

I have a thing (bottle? jar? container, I guess) of the mixed olives in my fridge and they are great. The only complaint has been from one daughter: not enough black olives.

Are these black olives?

keithnowak7

jelliott04 wrote:Olives are a big hit in my house. Can anyone give me a general idea of the size of this barrel? A google conversion of 1.8kg is almost 4 lbs. Is that right?

Yep. That is the approximate weight. The jar is roughly 6 inches in diameter, and just a shade under 9.5 inches tall. It takes up just a shade less than a gallon of milk in my fridge.

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
deckerbrian wrote:Personally, I prefer olives in the garbage. They're gross.

I also prefer wine on wine woot.

I usually hate all the complainers, but this is kinda fun even though I'm just PWNYin for the fun of it.

+1000

Obviously, what I taste and what the olive-lovers taste must be completely different.

baqui63

jelliott04 wrote:Olives are a big hit in my house. Can anyone give me a general idea of the size of this barrel? A google conversion of 1.8kg is almost 4 lbs. Is that right?

And to the person who asked if they were pitted, it says "whole olives" so I'm guessing no. As in, yes...pits.

J

Yes, it is a hair under four pounds.

The last woot on them has a photo of the jar in a guys fridge. (I just looked quickly but couldn't find it.)

I'd say it is about the volume of a 96 oz jug of OJ, though not the same shape.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
baqui63 wrote:I have a thing (bottle? jar? container, I guess) of the mixed olives in my fridge and they are great. The only complaint has been from one daughter: not enough black olives.

Are these black olives?

Black olives and Kalamata olives are not the same thing, although Kalamata are black olives from Greece. They do not taste the same and Kalamata olives are often purplish.

J

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I got these the last time they had olives up. They had the pitted ones up first, and ran out and a bit later these appeared

Apparently the pitted ones are more salty due to absorbing more of the brine then the whole skinned olives, and the non-pitted ones can last longer (from comments posted, YMMV).

Their very good, it's a LOT of olives, but they're tasty and great to have around for appetizers, salads, etc.

aarphacker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aarphacker

Had a heck of a time ordering these - something seems not quite right with woot's ordering system. However it was worth the trouble. These are salty gems of goodness! Try to order them each time they are available.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
cinderella1 wrote:Way to salty. I am a saltaholic and these
were too much for me!

Ya I got the no pits ones last time offered, they are salty, after I bought them I started to take a nutrition class, the calories are out of the world, needless to say haven't touched that barrel since the week it arrived, BTW thats a lot of olives, now get the wine back up for sale.

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84

Very, very salty. Much saltier than average. Comments about a white film forming when refrigerated are true. Rinsing is a good idea which also helps with the salt issue a tiny bit (tho not that much)

ckalamity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckalamity

If I were more daring, these would make an excellent Yankee Swap gift this holiday...

(Also, I am crossing my fingers for a Kaleidoscope white woot!)

deckerbrian

rugrats2001 wrote:+1000

Obviously, what I taste and what the olive-lovers taste must be completely different.

A lot of people like AC/DC and Dr. Pepper too...

I think the Woot server must be having trouble today...delay, delays, delays.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

Yum! in for One!

rlapid2112

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112

I bought the Mixed olives last time and have quite enjoyed them. I have given away a couple pounds and still have LOTS leftover. Since it is brined, I keep it on the counter, so far, no ill effects.

geonjay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geonjay

I like the pitted Mezzetta Kalamata olives. I've tried a few others, but few are as flavorful as the Mezzettas. Does anyone know how these compare to those? I'd hate to buy this big jug only to find that I don't like them.

cepraines

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cepraines

I ordered the pitted kalamata's a while back and they lasted for FOREVER. I love olives, and they were a little saltier than most, but truly delicious. Had them about a year before they were gone and they were just as good the last day as the first. But seriously, this container holds a LOT of olives.

BTW, the white film is solidified olive oil. Put the olives out a few minutes before you eat them and the oil will magically vanish. Or melt.

elocinoco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elocinoco
fredrinaldi wrote: ...the calories are out of the world, needless to say haven't touched that barrel since the week it arrived, BTW thats a lot of olives, now get the wine back up for sale.

I thought kalamatas only had about six or seven calories per olive? With the "good" fat?? I don't think that's unreasonable for the flavor punch they pack.

baqui63

jelliott04 wrote:Black olives and Kalamata olives are not the same thing, although Kalamata are black olives from Greece. They do not taste the same and Kalamata olives are often purplish.

J

When I wrote "black" above I really meant "the darker greek olives" (I realize they aren't the same as plain black olives) so I'm thinking these are probably what she wants.

Thanks.

baqui63

jelliott04 wrote:Black olives and Kalamata olives are not the same thing, although Kalamata are black olives from Greece. They do not taste the same and Kalamata olives are often purplish.

J

When I wrote "black" above I really meant "the darker greek olives" (I realize they aren't the same as plain black olives) so I'm thinking these are probably what she wants.

Thanks.

fredrinaldi

elocinoco wrote:I thought kalamatas only had about six or seven calories per olive? With the "good" fat?? I don't think that's unreasonable for the flavor punch they pack.

yes 25 calories for 3, I would eat maybe 30 to 40 at a time = 250 to 300 calories. A person at 180 lbs gets 1980 calories, I use my calories for better things..... Like a fine bottle of Cab (500 calories)

fredrinaldi

elocinoco wrote:I thought kalamatas only had about six or seven calories per olive? With the "good" fat?? I don't think that's unreasonable for the flavor punch they pack.

yes 25 calories for 3, I would eat maybe 30 to 40 at a time = 250 to 300 calories. A person at 180 lbs gets 1980 calories, I use my calories for better things..... Like a fine bottle of Cab (500 calories)

nsaigon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nsaigon

what happens when I click the stupid yellow button & got a 503, go back, fill in my credit card #, click the stupid yellow button & get another 503??? would they charge me 2-3 times??

keithnowak7

Get out of here with your sense! It was from a class, taught by a licensed nutritionist! (Please, doctors, that was sarcasm. I know that there is no licensing or certification for nutritionists.) You can pretty much know when someone really doesn't understand what they are putting in their body when they look to calories first and foremost. Heck, at least people who use "points" have a plan, and some semblance of balance.

Edit: Fedrenaldi, I am not trying to start a fight, but c'mon. You just admitted that your diet is better served with 500 calories of wine versus heart-healthy fats, and dense energy that will last for a long time from actual food. Don't crap on an offering for being "too high in calories, aka 'unhealthy' when olives are some of the finest things we can stuff into our body--sodium notwithstanding.

cgrizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgrizz

Hurry - buy the olives so we can get some red wine up there on this woot off .... Cabernet preferably.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
nsaigon wrote:what happens when I click the stupid yellow button & got a 503, go back, fill in my credit card #, click the stupid yellow button & get another 503??? would they charge me 2-3 times??

If you have any hangups with your order, click that write us up there and let us know. We know things get a little crazy and want to make sure you're only charged for what you order!

Thanks!

I'm just hanging out, really.

elocinoco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elocinoco
keithnowak7 wrote:Get out of here with your sense! It was from a class, taught by a licensed nutritionist! (Please, doctors, that was sarcasm. I know that there is no licensing or certification for nutritionists.) You can pretty much know when someone really doesn't understand what they are putting in their body when they look to calories first and foremost. Heck, at least people who use "points" have a plan, and some semblance of balance.

Edit: Fedrenaldi, I am not trying to start a fight, but c'mon. You just admitted that your diet is better served with 500 calories of wine versus heart-healthy fats, and dense energy that will last for a long time from actual food. Don't crap on an offering for being "too high in calories, aka 'unhealthy' when olives are some of the finest things we can stuff into our body--sodium notwithstanding.

Everybody knows it is the CARBS that matter anyway. The rest is just nonsense!