MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

wine.woot x 7!!!

Nyet. Fail. Crap.

So much for extended conversations with the winemakers. And a chance to enjoy my weekend without having to worry about missing something good. Oh well, just won't look then on Fridays or Saturdays.

Edit: T.O.P.!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:went to my pre-op dr. appt. today... Things are going great... my biopsy from last week was normal!! Surgery on Tue. down time 2 days, then I am back to work... no heavy lifting for 2 weeks!!!! (translates to no housework for me!!)

Good news! Also, no jumping to conclusions!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:Well I have to give credit to hubby. He has been cooking dinner this week!! I am soo tired after working (I know he is too) and I just kinda feel like blah. So at least we will be fed.... the kids can do their own wash if they need clean clothes.... as far as vacuuming and other stuff? I seriously doubt it will be done..... but I am not stressing over it...

Good attitude. Food and clean clothes need to be kept up with. The rest can keep. And you can hire someone to come in.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Nyet. Fail. Crap.

So much for extended conversations with the winemakers. And a chance to enjoy my weekend without having to worry about missing something good. Oh well, just won't look then on Fridays or Saturdays.

good luck with not checking. What it basically means is no more flyers. Stick with known producers. Oh well.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
chemvictim wrote:And...my wallet will be about 40% lighter. Gah!

And I'll be saying "pass" 40% more often...OK, prolly 39% more often, as I do occasionally purchase.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nyet. Fail. Crap.

Must be some corked wine, too...

Sorry, that seemed more appropriate than using the sour grapes metaphor.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Good news! Also, no jumping to conclusions!!

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Good attitude. Food and clean clothes need to be kept up with. The rest can keep. And you can hire someone to come in.

Hire someone? you must be joking!! That would cut into my wine budget!!!! I can live with a dirty house for a couple of weeks, just don't make me give up my wine budget!!! It's all about priorities!!!!!

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
richardhod wrote:a bit of a rant

Dude. It was released to dvd in 2010. It's not like I was talking about the results of the (allegedly yet undetermined) upcoming 2012 presidential election of something. That I would totally put SPOILER ALERT all over, if I decided to chat about it in the pub.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your decision to moderate the anger in your edited post so I will not, despite BowTie's obvious plan otherwise (nice use of QFT in edit, Mr. Tie), have to hunt you down and kill you. And I will try to be more careful about spoiler alerts in the future, truly. If it's any comfort, it's not the kind of movie you watch to be surprised. It's the kind of movie you watch to feel and think. But I remain genuinely sorry that I made you so upset and I will be more careful in future posts.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

MarkDaSpark

****** Spoiler Alert ******

Not Gordon Ramsey .... Weirdest News of the Day

****** End Spoiler Alert ******

Really the weirdest news for the year for me ....

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
MarkDaSpark wrote:****** Spoiler Alert ******

Could have been from the pages of The Onion.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

From my principal, this evening: "Alyssa is having a tough time in her recovery. Her heart rate is accelerating and she is experiencing swelling. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers."

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

lauratchi wrote:Could have been from the pages of The Onion.

True, but it wasn't.

And prayers for Alyssa.

mobrien05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mobrien05

Hmm....I just saw a post outlining the new wine.woot schedule. This is bad news for my wallet. Also, I think it is just bad news. I really enjoyed the old ways w/ one wine per week. I felt like we got better deals, and better wine-maker participation. But, I suppose WD made less money, and Amazon ain't cool w/ that. If they managed to get rats going for more than half the days, this would be a good step to counter-balance the wine-pushing. If every wine that comes up has a rat saying yay or nay, then I could more easily live with the change.

mobrien05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mobrien05
chemvictim wrote:Have any of you ever been sans corkscrew and this desperate to open a bottle of wine?

"All you really need to break into a wine bottle is a hard object like a tree or a shoe, a towel, some pluck, and a diminished sense of shame." I have all those things! Yay! I also have corkscrew redundancy. I remember this one time, at band camp, I broke the corkscrew and desperation/hilarity ensued. It wasn't really at band camp, though. It was at my mom's house.

I am known as an expert in the UCLA math dept for opening wine w/o a corkscrew. It can be done (not easily) with a key, or a steak knife. I'm sure other objects would do as well, but these are what I've succeeded with. Essentially, these objects are just corkscrews waiting for their chance to shine. But, I've probably opened > 10 bottles with the key to my math dept office. But a knife is easier, if you can find one.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:Have any of you ever been sans corkscrew and this desperate to open a bottle of wine?

"All you really need to break into a wine bottle is a hard object like a tree or a shoe, a towel, some pluck, and a diminished sense of shame." I have all those things! Yay! I also have corkscrew redundancy. I remember this one time, at band camp, I broke the corkscrew and desperation/hilarity ensued. It wasn't really at band camp, though. It was at my mom's house.

Kept wanting to reply to this, but kept forgetting to look up the original post I wanted to link to ....

Jan 23, 2008 --- jburnham showed us their MacGyver skills during an old labrat.

As joatmon noted (2 posts down from above link): "Let's see: a rachet socket wrench to screw the wood bolt into the cork, and then a vice-grip to pull the combination out. Yeah, you're desperate. Or wanted to show off your tool skilz."

And I'm trying to remember if we created a thread about opening wine when the corkscrew wasn't available.

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Kept wanting to reply to this, but kept forgetting to look up the original post I wanted to link to ....

Jan 23, 2008 --- jburnham showed us their MacGyver skills during an old labrat.

As joatmon noted (2 posts down from above link): "Let's see: a rachet socket wrench to screw the wood bolt into the cork, and then a vice-grip to pull the combination out. Yeah, you're desperate. Or wanted to show off your tool skilz."

And I'm trying to remember if we created a thread about opening wine when the corkscrew wasn't available.

That is pretty awesome...

--John Muir

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

so many rat reports... at least i'm finally caught up. For now. Gah.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:****** Spoiler Alert ******

That is the greatest headline I have ever read. I mean, I guess I feel sorry for the dude, but what a headline!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:That is the greatest headline I have ever read. I mean, I guess I feel sorry for the dude, but what a headline!

It's only because you really want a dwarf OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES! double that looks like you!

Edit: Wow! The code monkeys fixed it so that the filter doesn't change the link .... because if you hover it over the link, it actually shows the filter in the link, which still works.

MarkDaSpark

I was really interested in the sprinkler station on Sellout, until I looked and saw it was only one sprinkler. And no expansions.

Really? I'm going to dig up two holes for just one sprinkler?

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:It's only because you really want a dwarf OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES! double that looks like you!

Edit: Wow! The code monkeys fixed it so that the filter doesn't change the link .... because if you hover it over the link, it actually shows the filter in the link, which still works.

It's like it came out of a random headline generator. I figure the badger probably drug him down the hole or he was high on Acid and said, fook it, Alice went down the Rabbit Hole, I'm going down the Badger hole. He probably figured he was already small enough to fit through the door and had nothing to lose.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:I was really interested in the sprinkler station on Sellout, until I looked and saw it was only one sprinkler. And no expansions.

Really? I'm going to dig up two holes for just one sprinkler?

yeah that's pretty dumb, though in ground irrigation is absolutely the way to go.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Anyone planning on travelling to colorado springs anytime soon? I'm trying to pick up some wine and was hoping to avoid shipping.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mobrien05 wrote:Hmm....I just saw a post outlining the new wine.woot schedule. This is bad news for my wallet. Also, I think it is just bad news. I really enjoyed the old ways w/ one wine per week. I felt like we got better deals, and better wine-maker participation. But, I suppose WD made less money, and Amazon ain't cool w/ that. If they managed to get rats going for more than half the days, this would be a good step to counter-balance the wine-pushing. If every wine that comes up has a rat saying yay or nay, then I could more easily live with the change.

Yeah, I liked old woot better, hardly check the main thread anymore and mostly buy wineries I've already bought from. I'm definitely not getting pushed over the fence anymore by discussion as I was previously. Part of it's just space limitations though. And I'm guessing Amazon way more than WD, he resisted as long as he could from previous discussions, wine.woot staff enjoys its weekends too!

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
tiger7610 wrote:Anyone planning on travelling to colorado springs anytime soon? I'm trying to pick up some wine and was hoping to avoid shipping.

you want someone to drop off wine in Colorado Springs? or wine is there and you need it somewhere else?

tiger7610

joelsisk wrote:you want someone to drop off wine in Colorado Springs? or wine is there and you need it somewhere else?

Wine is there, and was hoping to have it picked up and eventually through wootlegging getting to upstate NY so it needs to be someone who travells to woot gatherings

tiger7610

So I realized that woot owes me a birthday coupon, any chance it can be applied to the order I just placed yesterday?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
tiger7610 wrote:Wine is there, and was hoping to have it picked up and eventually through wootlegging getting to upstate NY so it needs to be Sparky

Fixed.

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
tiger7610 wrote:So I realized that woot owes me a birthday coupon, any chance it can be applied to the order I just placed yesterday?

Give Member Services a holler up at the write us link and ask! (Never hurts to ask.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
tenuki wrote:Yeah, I liked old woot better, hardly check the main thread anymore and mostly buy wineries I've already bought from. I'm definitely not getting pushed over the fence anymore by discussion as I was previously. Part of it's just space limitations though. And I'm guessing Amazon way more than WD, he resisted as long as he could from previous discussions, wine.woot staff enjoys its weekends too!

I'm with you. I tend to buy what I already know at this point.
Although in August I did go for the Humanitas and Noyes Pinot and Keenan Cab. Those are all new to me. But I do look at a lot of the offers and then look at how much I already have and go Nope! don't have the space.

I am sure I am missing some new wineries that should be on my radar but I don't have the room for more so I guess it works out.

I would say that adding two more offers a week isn't going to increase my purchases since I have this wonderful thing called self control and limited space. I have noticed over the last year that the forum on Sat. and Sunday is pretty dead so I don't think this is really going to limit the conversation about each wine either.

CT

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
tenuki wrote:Fixed.

If I laugh openly at this will Sparky drink the wine he is holding for me? Oh wait, Sparky doesn't drink wine ;)

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Fixed.

Watch it!!

Although if Joel will get off his you know what and plan a Denver gathering (when there isn't snow) .....

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:If I laugh openly at this will Sparky drink the wine he is holding for me? Oh wait, Sparky doesn't drink wine ;)

Not my wine that is ..... oh, and what wine is it you are talking about?

MarkDaSpark

What? Everyone is busy checking their wine cellars????

Or was it more along the lines of ....

Oh, and anyone in the LA area this weekend going to the Port of LA's Lobster Festival??? On Sunday????

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:What? Everyone is busy checking their wine cellars????

Oh, and anyone in the LA area this weekend going to the Port of LA's Lobster Festival??? On Sunday????

that sounds yummy!! Have some lobster for me!!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:What? Everyone is busy checking their wine cellars????

that sounds yummy!! Have some lobster for me!!

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:that sounds yummy!! Have some lobster for me!!

Thanks! Will do. (for the 1:01 am EDT post)

Thanks! Will do. (for this morning's post)

Wait a minute! Since I was planning on having 2 lobsters, does that now mean I have to have 3 or 4?

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks! Will do. (for the 1:01 am EDT post)

Wait a minute! Since I was planning on having 2 lobsters, does that now mean I have to have 3 or 4?

don't be so crabby and eat three damn lobsters!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks! Will do. (for the 1:01 am EDT post)

Do they get you Maine lobsters? Or some inferior ones?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar