InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sure glad people read the pub ... since I already asked that 12 hours before!

Hmm, at 5 a.m. NY time, I was sleeping. Had I known you were posting then, I would have set the alarm an hour earlier!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And yet another repeat Woot Monkey. Wonder when we'll get a new one?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:And yet another repeat Woot Monkey. Wonder when we'll get a new one?

So, is this REALLY the end of the woot off or not? The other sites are still going.

Edit: monkeys are gone. Something else is up. I'm going to bed. If a brand new monkey comes up, please get one for me. Thank you. Merci beaucoup! Gracias!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:So, is this REALLY the end of the woot off or not? The other sites are still going.

Edit: monkeys are gone. Something else is up. I'm going to bed. If a brand new monkey comes up, please get one for me. Thank you. Merci beaucoup! Gracias!

Will do! Unless the Bundle of Crops is hidden, then it should go on thru tomorrow at least.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Reminder of movies to skip in the future ....

A Serious Man .... probably typical Coen brothers, but really hated the ending. And the middle. And the beginning.

The American with George Clooney. Another really bad ending. And why were the Swedes after him in the first place? Another waste of DVR space.

I want to be entertained. Neither movie was entertaining.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
MarkDaSpark wrote:Reminder of movies to skip in the future ....

A Serious Man .... probably typical Coen brothers, but really hated the ending. And the middle. And the beginning.

The American with George Clooney. Another really bad ending. And why were the Swedes after him in the first place? Another waste of DVR space.

I want to be entertained. Neither movie was entertaining.

I loved The American. Ironic, Karma rich, subtle and redemptive - all wrapped up in a nice wooly sweater of 1950s genre. Plus, Clooney. Oh dear God, Clooney.

But that's not what I came here to say. What I came here to say is that this has been my most expensive woot-off in a long, long time. Maybe that's because I have missed so many tempting buys during my tiwbm (tuition imposed, thanks to 2 sons who felt very strongly that college was a good thing) or maybe I am just a weak and naughty girl, but so far I'm in for 2 different wines and truffle oil. I am simultaneously ecstatic and disgusted with myself.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
edthebedhead wrote:I'm leaning west. Due to fiance - I expect I'll have to move next summer. I'm looking at alaska, portland, seattle, colorado, utah, and california. Which leaves a problem - California is huge. LA is way different than San Diego, different than, etc etc , San Fran, Sacremento, etc.

Not sure how to check out all these places. But I'll have to visit some I suppose. And try some wines.

Just pick based on proximity to your preferred wine region! Or talk to WD and see if he'll take you on as a deal-maker for some Washington wineries.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

nallie wrote:I loved The American. Ironic, Karma rich, subtle and redemptive - all wrapped up in a nice wooly sweater of 1950s genre. Plus, Clooney. Oh dear God, Clooney.

But that's not what I came here to say. What I came here to say is that this has been my most expensive woot-off in a long, long time. Maybe that's because I have missed so many tempting buys during my tiwbm (tuition imposed, thanks to 2 sons who felt very strongly that college was a good thing) or maybe I am just a weak and naughty girl, but so far I'm in for 2 different wines and truffle oil. I am simultaneously ecstatic and disgusted with myself.

Clooney was good, but it never fully developed why he was "bad". And I kept hoping they would develop his "metamorphosis" into a better man (i.e. develop his conscious). So I hated the ending.

nallie

MarkDaSpark wrote:Clooney was good, but it never fully developed why he was "bad". And I kept hoping they would develop his "metamorphosis" into a better man (i.e. develop his conscious). So I hated the ending.

But that was the beauty of it. Initially, he just was bad. Was his decision to be so pragmatic or a reaction to early losses or was he simply amoral? The viewer gets to write that story line. But [spoiler alert] in the end he gave all of himself, literally and figuratively, to the exact same type of woman whom he had to dispatch in the first scene. Circle of life. He couldn't make it right for the first, whom he clearly loved but who - sadly - played a sacrificial lamb, so he made it right for 2.0. I loved it. Nonetheless, to each his own.

What have you been buying this w-o, Sparks?

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

nallie

Soooo, for those of you playing along at home 12:15 was the exact moment at which I began to consider the fact that 4 miles on the treadmill tomorrow morning (oops, today morning) would be almost as good as 90 minutes at Bikram. Dang nabbit, I am getting way too good at rationalizing things this w-o. Better call it a night before I decide that eating cheesecake constitutes aerobic exercise. Peace out, my beloved wooters.

MarkDaSpark

nallie wrote:But that was the beauty of it. Initially, he just was bad. Was his decision to be so pragmatic or a reaction to early losses or was he simply amoral? The viewer gets to write that story line. But [spoiler alert] in the end he gave all of himself, literally and figuratively, to the exact same type of woman whom he had to dispatch in the first scene. Circle of life. He couldn't make it right for the first, whom he clearly loved but who - sadly - played a sacrificial lamb, so he made it right for 2.0. I loved it. Nonetheless, to each his own.

What have you been buying this w-o, Sparks?

Just the Victory and now the Hawley (missed it the first time).

And you didn't know why he did it initially (or later), since she could have set him up. The others were all self-defense, so it was just that one instance that you weren't sure why he did it or why he was "bad". It was limp.

His character just never fully developed to me as to why he considered himself "bad". There were no flashbacks to his evil side.

Contrast Val Kilmer's (has he gotten fat or what?) character in Blind Horizon. Much more development of how he was "bad" and has now changed. As good as Clooney can be, his acting was not memorable in The American.

MarkDaSpark

nallie wrote:Soooo, for those of you playing along at home 12:15 was the exact moment at which I began to consider the fact that 4 miles on the treadmill tomorrow morning (oops, today morning) would be almost as good as 90 minutes at Bikram. Dang nabbit, I am getting way too good at rationalizing things this w-o. Better call it a night before I decide that eating cheesecake constitutes aerobic exercise. Peace out, my beloved wooters.

Nope, sorry. We need two more posts before you can call it a night!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Running late for work...I sure hope I don't miss anything good!!!!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

After Monday as the 25 year club outing, yesterday as the department outing/teambuilding, I am heading to Boston for the Red Sox game this morning. And only today do I have to take time-off from work.

Thursday will be rough, but it is still only one day until Friday.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

To my nurses out there....got a question:

I've been fighting this fever of death since Sunday (maybe even Sat) with temps going back and forth between the 99's to the 103's. I finally went to the doc last night (temp was like 103.7) and got two prescriptions (the generic for Augmentin & 800mg ibuprofen) so as of last night I'm hitting myself with drugs. They did the culture test and nothing came up as bacterial but she gave me the antibiotic anyway.
Woke up this morning with temp again at 103. Obviously when I lie covered I'm getting warm sweats. Right now sitting at the computer I'm feeling cold sweats. My glands (or lymph nodes, or whatever I might be feeling) seem a little sore...maybe. Got pretty much a constant headache that dwindles a little bit here and there, and back aches from the past few days of just lying around. I have to actually work some today cuz I'm the only one who knows how to do what needs to get done tonight, but I'm doing it remotely from home.

My main questions. Should I take a cool shower, or a warm/hot shower? Should I spend most of the day in bed, as a sweaty blob under my sheets and comforter or should I let some cooler air be around me without the comforter? I currently have my condo at 79 degrees....should I bump it up to a higher temp or is that just fine?

I absolutely, positively, have to be rid of this fever by Friday when I pick up cheron98 from the airport. And I'd also rather not have to stay home from work again tomorrow (I've never used up 4 PTO days in a row on being sick )

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
MarkDaSpark wrote:Just the Victory and now the Hawley (missed it the first time).

And you didn't know why he did it initially (or later), since she could have set him up. The others were all self-defense, so it was just that one instance that you weren't sure why he did it or why he was "bad". It was limp.

His character just never fully developed to me as to why he considered himself "bad". There were no flashbacks to his evil side.

Contrast Val Kilmer's (has he gotten fat or what?) character in Blind Horizon. Much more development of how he was "bad" and has now changed. As good as Clooney can be, his acting was not memorable in The American.

Good call. I also.
Meeker Cab had too many maybes, though I wanted to try an excellent PArkery Cab w balance, but it had too many subtle halts in teh online data for me, including a "meh" from WE who ought to love Parkery wines.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Should I spend most of the day in bed, as a sweaty blob under my sheets and comforter

He makes himself sound so exceedingly sexy, doesn't he? Ladies, you know you're all jealous

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Haven't yet seen these films, and while I do like your posts and general personage, in this instance - due to nearly reading your post unprepared - I am strongly going to make an etiquette suggestion: if you're going to put a spoiler for anything in your posts in ANY forum,

***SPOILER****
FLAG IT UP LIKE THIS Or [bold] Even More Obviously than this[/bold] SO THAT PEOPLE CAN SEE IF BEFORE THEY READ ONTO THE SPOIING PART ITSELF.

I very nearly read your spoiler, and had I een awake I woudl have done so, being more efficient at reading. and I'd have no choice in the matter. not good.
As it is I'll avoid this page entirely, or treat it as radioactive in my scanning so I don't accidentally manage to read your post while looking for someone else's words.

Sometimes people read posts from the bottom too SO PUT ONE UNDERNEATH ALSO
***/SPOILER***

PS otherwise, great post, thanks

PPS Bowtie, you are not crafty.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
richardhod wrote:Haven't yet seen these films, and therefore due to nearly reading your post am strongly going to make an etiquette suggestion: if you're going to put a spolier for ANYTHIg in your posts in ANY forum,

***SPOILER****
FLAG IT UP LIKE THIS Or [bold] Even More Obviously than this[/bold] SO THAT PEOPLE CAN SEE IF BEFORE THEY READ ONTO THE SPOIING PART ITSELF.

I very nearly read your damn spoiler, and had I een awake I woudl have done so, being more efficient at reading. and I'd have no choice in the matter. not good.
As it is I'll avoid this page entirely, or treat it as radioactive in my scanning so I don't accidentally manage to read your post while looking for someone else's words.

Sometimes people read posts from the bottom too SO PUT ONE UNDERNEATH ALSO
***/SPOILER***

Plot of the American: George Clooney does some stuff resulting in women all over America becoming doe eyed and a wicked upswing in the purchase of new panties. George collects his kickback from Hanes and Fruit of Loom and goes back to his Villa in Italy.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chazd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chazd

2007 Scott Harvey 1869 Old Vine Zinfandel is on Lot18. I know it gets rave reviews from fellow wooters. Does Scott add any port to the 1869 like he does the Inzinerator?

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
bhodilee wrote:Plot of the American: George Clooney does some stuff resulting in women all over America becoming doe eyed and a wicked upswing in the purchase of new panties. George collects his kickback from Hanes and Fruit of Loom and goes back to his Villa in Italy.

Yeah, and with Stacy Kiebler.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

The American

*** NOTE: THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

After watching it, two other movies are already made that are similar to it. One being worse than The American and the other being much better. The one that is worse is Bangkok Dangerous. Which is just a horrible movie, but at least the body count makes up for it in the end. The other is Le Samourai by Jean-Pierre Melville. This is definitely much better than the other two movies and more subtle. Like The American, there is not much talk and not much action. The acting and the camera work develops the story. One would think the director for The American took a page out of Melville's book. I've heard it's also similar to Luc Besson's "Leon: The Professional" but I cannot say for certain in that regard. I watched The American once, probably never again. Le Samourai I'll watch again.

I know I didn't give specific spoilers but if you have seen either of the other two movies then you can get the gist of this movie.

*** END OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS ***

happy now, richardhod?

Point Break Reboot/Remake

In other news I heard they are doing a reboot/remake of Point Break. Obviously with new actors but apparently the same names and instead of surfing it'll be another extreme sport. My question, isn't the Fast and the Furious franchise then the reboot but with different names? Are they also just picking all the Patrick Swayze movies and redoing them first Dirty Dancing and now this?

Just in case people haven't seen either Point Break or Fast and the Furious. Although there should be a statute of limitations on movies for spoilers.

Maybe I'll post a header in all my posts saying that it may contain spoilers just to CMA.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

bhodilee

gregorylane wrote:Yeah, and with Stacy Kiebler.

NO! Seriously? I didn't know that. Bastard.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chazd wrote:2007 Scott Harvey 1869 Old Vine Zinfandel is on Lot18. I know it gets rave reviews from fellow wooters. Does Scott add any port to the 1869 like he does the Inzinerator?

The data sheet says 2% Port, but I haven't tried it myself so I'm not sure how prominently it comes through.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
bhodilee wrote:NO! Seriously? I didn't know that. Bastard.

I know!! Many is the night I've dreamt of me and lovely Stacy with my trusty step ladder in hand.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

MarkDaSpark

InShadows wrote:The American

After watching it, two other movies are already made that are similar to it. One being worse than The American and the other being much better. The one that is worse is Bangkok Dangerous. Which is just a horrible movie, but at least the body count makes up for it in the end. The other is Le Samourai by Jean-Pierre Melville. This is definitely much better than the other two movies and more subtle. Like The American, there is not much talk and not much action. The acting and the camera work develops the story. One would think the director for The American took a page out of Melville's book. I've heard it's also similar to Luc Besson's "Leon: The Professional" but I cannot say for certain in that regard. I watched The American once, probably never again. Le Samourai I'll watch again.

I know I didn't give specific spoilers but if you have seen either of the other two movies then you can get the gist of this movie.

happy now, richardhod?

Point Break Reboot/Remake

In other news I heard they are doing a reboot/remake of Point Break. Obviously with new actors but apparently the same names and instead of surfing it'll be another extreme sport. My question, isn't the Fast and the Furious franchise then the reboot but with different names? Are they also just picking all the Patrick Swayze movies and redoing them first Dirty Dancing and now this?

Just in case people haven't seen either Point Break or Fast and the Furious. Although there should be a statute of limitations on movies for spoilers.

Maybe I'll post a header in all my posts saying that it may contain spoilers just to CMA.

The Professional is similar in part to The American, but it is very different in plot and characters. And a much better film.

I'll re-watch The Professional anytime, but not The American.

MarkDaSpark

Just a reminder that Speak Like a Pirate Day is next Monday, the 19th!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
redwinefan wrote:The data sheet says 2% Port, but I haven't tried it myself so I'm not sure how prominently it comes through.

The only reason the 2006 InZIN came out so sweet was NOT because of the Forte - it was the concentrated grape juice he added. IIRC. That was the difference.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

Perfect. Bundle of Crops pops up, and keep getting 503 errors.

All lions must be down!

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Perfect. Bundle of Crops pops up, and keep getting 503 errors.

All lions must be down!

I got the info correct page, then 503'd. I'd imagine it's gone by now, but wootalyzer says it isn't, and the page is still there, just can't get a load.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I got the info correct page, then 503'd. I'd imagine it's gone by now, but wootalyzer says it isn't, and the page is still there, just can't get a load.

Haven't even gotten to the Info page yet. The main page showed a slight movement on the yellow bar, but I think everyone is having problems getting to the buy now button.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I got the info correct page, then 503'd. I'd imagine it's gone by now, but wootalyzer says it isn't, and the page is still there, just can't get a load.

And I have 3 browsers and 1 desktop and 1 laptop, along with the Android phone all trying.

And nothing working. Did get to the Info Correct, but still 503.

On the bright side, it still only looks about 5% gone on the yellow bar.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Haven't even gotten to the Info page yet. The main page showed a slight movement on the yellow bar, but I think everyone is having problems getting to the buy now button.

I'm not even sure why I'm still trying. They're either gone or I'm not getting one. I spose when the alternative is work though.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Haven't even gotten to the Info page yet. The main page showed a slight movement on the yellow bar, but I think everyone is having problems getting to the buy now button.

I'm not even sure why I'm still trying. They're either gone or I'm not getting one. I spose when the alternative is work though.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I'm not even sure why I'm still trying. They're either gone or I'm not getting one. I spose when the alternative is work though.

Keep trying. Finally got to the Buy It Confirmation page, and waiting to see if it worked.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I'm not even sure why I'm still trying. They're either gone or I'm not getting one. I spose when the alternative is work though.

Wootalyzer shows about 40% left. Main page looks to be about 30% left.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Wootalyzer shows about 40% left. Main page looks to be about 30% left.

Oh, I keep gettign teh info is correct screen, never get to confirm

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Oh, I keep gettign teh info is correct screen, never get to confirm

Keep refreshing that screen and tell it to continue. You can only order 1 Bundle of Crops so you won't accidentally order another.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Keep refreshing that screen and tell it to continue. You can only order 1 Bundle of Crops so you won't accidentally order another.

yeah, i was gettign the buy page pretty regular, now I'm not. Whatever. I'm not too concerned, but it's the chase!

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
richardhod wrote:Good call. I also.
Meeker Cab had too many maybes, though I wanted to try an excellent PArkery Cab w balance, but it had too many subtle halts in teh online data for me, including a "meh" from WE who ought to love Parkery wines.

The Hawley is a great call. I'm hoping the Meeker is to my liking, since I've got 10 bottles now. I'm surprised you're saying there are a lot of maybes on it, actually. Those who let it breathe seemed uniformly impressed and the notes make the wine sound powerful but not Parkerized to me.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT