$62.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 6 Ramsay 2008 North Coast Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

What's the drinking window on these, and are there any issues with smoke taint?

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Had the 06 and 07 of this, and the 09 in stock. Guess I need the 08! Always a good buy and a steal at ~$11 a bottle.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

letshunt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages letshunt

I said no more wine for awhile, and then I saw Kent...curse you woot...you knew I would auto-buy this.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Ramsay by Kent Rasmussen 2008 Pinot Noir, North Coast - 6 Pack

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 4m 22.383s
Last wooter to woot: letshunt

Dang .... an Auto-Buy. Kent makes some super duper wines.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Will someone please say this is worlds apart from Kent's 2008 1001 PN?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Are the grapes grown organically?

jtan99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtan99
lassow wrote:Will someone please say this is worlds apart from Kent's 2008 1001 PN?

Yes this is different from 1001. I didn't care for that one, but this one I like. I got a few bottles of this the last time I stopped by the winery, and just finished the last bottle and yay now I can get more!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
lassow wrote:Will someone please say this is worlds apart from Kent's 2008 1001 PN?

+1001

I found the 07 and 08 well...just not good

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Lasgar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

In for 2, Kent Rasmussen = Autobuy.

redstoneprime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redstoneprime

I promised myself no more wine for a while; but the Esoterica rose was so good I must try this!

/sob... I am so weak!

KRWINE

quality posts: 35 Private Messages KRWINE

HI everyone, this is Kent

Boy....things do start with a blast. I can't believe the activity for just the first hour!

So, I will try to be on as much as possible this weekend for questions comments etc.

Just to start with and address the items that have already come up.

First and formost....forget the 1001....those wines had nothing at all to do with Ramsay. The 1001 brand was an experiment (and a fairly successful one in the end) for some new properties that we were trying out. Ramsay Pinot Noir has been made for many years from pretty much the same grapes...partly from Mendocino and partly from Carneros (thus the odd "North Coast" appellation). The quality of the 1001 was debated by many...some liked it, some didn't. In the end, I really liked one, but didn't jump up-or-down for the other. But neither had anything to do with this wine.

Second is the 2008 "smoke" issue. The only thing I can say is that we have sold a HUGE amount of this 2008 Ramsay Pinot and have heard virtually nothing about smoke. The honest truth is that yes, some of the grapes came from Mendo County....but in the end it was only about 40% of the blend and smoke just has not been as issue with this wine. That said, I have certainly seem some smoke in wines this year....sometimes it is a pleasant character, sometime not.

So, there....I hope to have debunked the two issue-de-jour. We have sold lots and lots of this wine and have had nothing but wonderful comments. As always happens in the wine business, we ended up with a few too many of the screw-tops (we produced it with both cork and screw-top--and the cork sold a bit faster (exactly opposite the 2007!)). We have already released or 2009 in most markets and thus I am offering this little end lot of the 2008 to you all at a wonderful price. I am absolutely certain that you will like this wine......it is a great deal! Rich nice Pinot Noir with structure, complexity and fruit...for $11/bottle.

Anyway.......please write, ask me questions, make comments etc. I should be on-line much of the weekend.

All the best, Kent

vudu2u

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vudu2u

First off, thank you wine.woot for this opportunity. We hope we make you proud. First time reporter, so be gentle . .

We were very excited for this to arrive and was even happier when we opened the box and saw that it was a Pinot Noir. They are by far our favorites

On opening the bottle, it smelled funky. Kinda pungent - never noticed that in a Pinot before. The wine is very light in color and taste. Not very dry, not a lot of body and a bit bitter.

We decided to have a little fun, so we paired anything we could find with it:

Homemade Asiago cheese bread - paired ok
Cold BBQ Chicken - tasted very alcoholly
Dark Chocolate (54% Cocoa) - YUMMY
Cold Mac-n-Cheese - meh
Freshly made tomato sauce - bitter

We let it sit for an hour. The aroma and taste was significantly better. The fruitiness is coming out. Starting to stand on it's own. As it opened up, none of the above "pairings" seem to add anything.

We continued drinking it by itself and that's where we were the happiest. Didn't have enough tannins for our tastes. Thought I tasted some smoke but the wife couldn't back me up on it.

Overall, it seems like a good, basic wine. Nothing too complex or challenging to the palate. Perfect for those obligatory bottles of booze one may bring as a guest to a party.

roofle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roofle
bsevern wrote:are there any issues with smoke taint?

For me, yes. For the wine, no.

tunstall01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tunstall01

After 2 years of wondering, "Hey, how come they haven't asked me to lab rat?!?" I finally get my chance. Of course, it happens on my busiest day in months. First, I had a follow-up visit with my internist; I'm at that age when the blood test results aren't always good. Last time my sugar was too high, as was my LDL. Also tested my thyroid — I'm hypo and recently had my Synthroid script raised to 100 mcg a day. But I digress!

My bottle arrived about 3:20 PM, a 2008 Ramsay North Coast Pinot Noir, and I had to leave the house at 3:45. Good timing, Fedex! I put it in my bag and went to my 4:15 appointment with my massage therapist. We didn't discuss wine. I had to work from 6 to 9, then some friends who play in a bluegrass band, the NYCitySlickers, had their first CD release party at Rodeo Bar in Manhattan. "Perfect!" I thought, "I'll be a Stealth Lab Rat! I'll smuggle the bottle in" meaning if I'm going to smuggle a bottle of wine into a bar to taste with my meal, I'll have to be like Paul Giamatti in Sideways ("If she orders merlot, I'm leaving!"), no not that part, the part where he drinks the special pinot he's been saving for a special occasion, with the hamburger he orders in a greasy spoon diner.

I arrive at Rodeo Bar about 9:40 PM, the Slickers are playing (great, great band!) and my reservation was for 10. I ask one of the waitresses where my table is for 10 PM, but she can't find my name, seats me anyway at a table for 4 in the back of the music room. Decent sound, but I can't see the band unless I crane way up in my seat. My table mates, now my best friends, Paolo and Svetlana, he from Brazil, she from Russia, (Vladivostok of all places!) tell me the Rodeo steak is good as are the baby back ribs, special tonight. Paolo & Svetlana are regulars at Rodeo Bar. They don't know much about who's playing, but they know what they like. They like the Slickers…

Partner Claudio arrives shortly before 10. I'm drinking a Makers Mark, he orders a vodka tonic and a buffalo burger. I order the tonight's rib special. "Don't take that wine out of your bag, " Claudio warns, "the sound mixers are right next to our table!", and of course, I ignore him. I order a glass of the house pinot noir (undistinguished) to go with my ribs, but really, I'm planning to drink the Ramsay. I quickly down my wine, then I lean over like I'm fishing in my bag (and I am) and grab hold of the Ramsay. Screw top! Perfect. I pour some into my empty house pinot glass and sniff.

The nose is earthy: hints of dirt, moss, mushrooms. Claudio thinks so, too. In fact, the nose portends a very fine wine indeed. Unfortunately, the Ramsay doesn't quite live up to expectations. The color is a beautiful ruby. The first sip is a little sweet and fruit forward, but leaves a nothing burger of an aftertaste. Perhaps a hint of grape juice flavor. Claudio thinks it's bitter, but I don't taste bitterness; though we're very compatible, our palates aren't. I screwed the top back on and put the bottle back in my bag. 15 minutes later, another try. Drinkable, and a bit better, but not great. A decent accompaniment for the ribs, however, the strong, sweet taste of barbecue sauce, sort of renders the Ramsay a bland accompaniment.

It's now after 11 and we're heading home. We pay the bill, and we flag a taxi outside.

Back home in Brooklyn, I unscrew the bottle cap and pour a couple of fingers. No significant change in taste and aroma, though the wine has mellowed a bit. Nose still earthy, color is fine, but again, that taste. Is it fruity? Bitter, as Claudio thinks? Or just not distinguished.

Then I pour the wine through a Vinturi. Again, the wine mellows a notch, but just a notch. Flavor's still a bit raw, but overall, it's still an undistinguished wine.

So here's my verdict. If you are able to cellar your vino for 3 or 4 years, I think the Ramsay Pinot is quite possibly a wine with potential. Great nose & color; taste will likely improve with cellaring, even after 1 year.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
KRWINE wrote:HI everyone, this is Kent

Anyway.......please write, ask me questions, make comments etc. I should be on-line much of the weekend.

All the best, Kent

Hello Kent!

So, How would you compare this with your rather fun Esoterica PN 08? That had hints of toast, good dark flavours and still good acidity. Rounded, not austere PN, and while not as sophisticated as the Estate PN, definitely worth the money. Just had a tasting tonight with Klezman and some other friends, opposite a Fess Parker Bien Nacido 07 (big oak, cola, US style, but not hot and good acid), a disappointing Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post 06, and a 2000 Grand Cru Charmes Chambertin (Taupenot-Merme). While not quite up to the Burgundy (at under 1/5 the price that's not surprising and unfair comparison), it was a good drink!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

CURSE YOU WD! The Pinot section is over-full and the rest of the rack space is down to filling in individual vacancies ... and you offer an auto-buy.

Here's my plan of attack ... 1) buy this wine, 2) go to amazon & buy another rack and that small under-counter cooler I've been covering for the kitchen, & finally, last but not least, 3) make some of my friends happy by bringing wine to all our events

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen

I am once again condemned to Wootlegging (don't tell anyone). Kent is still not on the Maryland list of licensed direct wine shippers. Total bummer. It's made even harder now that just about every escalator in the WMATA system is non-functional.

fitzpanther

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fitzpanther

Did anyone say auto-buy? Even though I still have a couple of signed bottles of the 2006 Carneros PN. Great price point!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
KRWINE wrote:(Big post, big quote)

How bout a Cab woot, got some last time and loved it.

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

Ramussen=autobuy for me.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I'll pass. I was very unimpressed with the cab I got before. The last two bottles will be resserved for cooking.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Have too much wine, but KR is an autobuy.

CT

dkrupps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dkrupps

Hey everyone.. First time Lab Rat, long time Wooter..

So, the shipment arrives yesterday afternoon and "Yes!" a Pinot greets my eyes when I open the box. Love me some Pinot Noir, and although I've had other wines from the Rasmussen stable, this is the first Ramsay, so double bonus.

Up front - On the nose: Light cherry, some raspberry, a bit of an earthy tone, and a very light hint of smoke.
Initial sips: Without a lot of aeration or time in glass it's pretty tight with light fruit, somewhat "hot" due to it's youth with a robust even slightly spicy character, and decent mouthfeel.

Although pretty hot up front, this continued to diminish and smooth out after about 15 minutes in the glass, and 45 minutes in the bottle.

20 minutes later, after an additional pour:
More fruit is showing with stronger cherry, red raspberry, and currant notes. Good full mouthfeel, not much smoke, so no Mendo hangover.

Food:
Dinner ended up being a variety of flat breads and romaine salad with tomatoes and toasted almonds. The Ramsay performed well with all flavors including kalamata and liguria olives, basil pesto, goat cheese, and artichokes, but truly shone in it's support of the ripe tomatoes and toasted almonds.

Two hours in: The "heat" and spiciness has reduced dramatically, leaving behind a still robust yet quieter pinot that still maintains a full mouthfeel. Excellent time for some 80% dark chocolate, and the Ramsay doesn't disappoint.

Overall, an excellent base Pinot which has flexibility as both a simple "sipper" with cheese and such, yet can still stand up and support much more complex pairings.

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
dkrupps wrote:
Overall, an excellent base Pinot which has flexibility as both a simple "sipper" with cheese and such, yet can still stand up and support much more complex pairings.

Sounds like a good decant is what the wine doctor would order if we're of a mind to drink it now then!

I think I can handle that. Bought!

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

Is there a reason that the Esoterica SB was available in NH, but this is not?

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

My first thought everytime I see a KR offering now. I was so unimpressed by the "One Thousand One" that I'm holding off on buying anymore KR wine until there is an offering that the Rats review with 100% conviction. I appreciate KR's response and his participation on WOOT!, but that he can refer to "One Thousand One" as even a mild success is a little off-putting. I understand that some here were OK with the offering, but in my opinion it shouldn't have been bottled. Both wines in that offering should have been insurance claims by the vineyard. Sorry KR, I want to get back onboard the KR fan club, but that wine jaded me and I'm not convinced by the Rat feedback on this offering.

rboston1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rboston1

What is the style on this wine?
Is it more burgundian, heavier pressed fruit (RR style) or what?

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

I recently had an 08 PN (different wine) with the slightest touch of smoke-taint. I found it quite interesting, it was not off-putting at all. Granted, it was so faint that my friend couldn't detect it at all. Based on KR and Rat comments, it sounds like this wine might have that same, very slight, smokiness. I'm tempted.

I see the sulfur dioxide levels listed, very interesting. I did a quick search for anyone interested in learning more about what those numbers mean here and here .

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yorknh wrote:Is there a reason that the Esoterica SB was available in NH, but this is not?

Good Morning. We are checking on this.

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
tjhoulihan wrote: I was so unimpressed by the "One Thousand One" ... in my opinion it shouldn't have been bottled. Both wines in that offering should have been insurance claims by the vineyard.

Opened up a bottle of the 1001 last night, hoping, just hoping that some age would have helped... but alas - it was just not meant to be.

So "ditto" to the above and down the drain with the rest.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rboston1 wrote:What is the style on this wine?
Is it more burgundian, heavier pressed fruit (RR style) or what?

New Hampshire and Maryland will be added shortly. Thanks for the heads up!

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7
tjhoulihan wrote:
I appreciate KR's response and his participation on WOOT!, but that he can refer to "One Thousand One" as even a mild success is a little off-putting.

I agree, but then realized owning and running a business is different than consuming said product. Perhaps he did a limited-bottling test from a vineyard (couple hundred cases) where was on the fence of buying a heck of a lot more. Considering the massive dis-praise, wouldn't that be considered a "success?" (As in, thankfully I didn't purchase more, and now know this source is not to my customer's liking.) Also, I understand fanboy-auto-buy is a powerful marketing tool, but if he still made a nice profit, and only lost a handful from his, previous, auto-buy list, would that still not be a success? (From a business standpoint?)

You really have to look at the qualifying "mild" before success. It isn't like he knew it was complete The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000), bottled it, took the money and ran off laughing never to show his face again. I am not a winemaker, but I have a feeling that everyone that is would love to purchase the absolute best fruit from wherever, and craft a stellar wine. However, the price of obtaining that fruit vs what you can hawk it at is always going to drive the winemaking decision versus "the best tasting wine possible." That just simply isn't feasible from an economic standpoint.

suziq54138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suziq54138

Dear wine.woot,

When will you EVER ship to Maryland?? I look everyday hoping that you will have me listed. Alas, there has only been one since July.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

How does this compare to the D'ontspille?(My benchmark for decent inexpensive pinot)

Anybody had both that could comment?

Is it broke or just fractured?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
suziq54138 wrote:Dear wine.woot,

When will you EVER ship to Maryland?? I look everyday hoping that you will have me listed. Alas, there has only been one since July.

Winedavid39 wrote:New Hampshire and Maryland will be added shortly. Thanks for the heads up!

Read before posting

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

aharrover

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aharrover

I had the Ramsay Cab (I believe) and that was solid. I'm a little shakier on the pinot - the 1001 was poured down the drain awhile back. I know they don't have much to do with each other but I've grown a bit more careful on the KR wines.

The rat report above which includes "undistinguished" sounds a lot like the 1001...

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy
vudu2u wrote:Perfect for those obligatory bottles of booze one may bring as a guest to a party.

Maybe if I had no PN in the rack, but the rats have not convinced me.

dkrupps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dkrupps
rlmanzo wrote:How does this compare to the D'ontspille?(My benchmark for decent inexpensive pinot)

Anybody had both that could comment?

As a matter of fact, I've had both, (having ratted on this release), and can say unequivocally that this release is superior to the D'ontspille in both character, mouthfeel, and flexibility..

I love the D'ontspille, but this is a great deal.