PRODUCT: 3 2008 Pimenteiro
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offers:
8/10/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1671 Private Messages Cesare

Yes, another labrat report. Last one I promise! :}

Nice dark garnet red color. Touch of purple around the edges. Looks kind of light, maybe lighter than I expected. Smells pretty good right upon opening. I thought it might be tight being a 2008 but it wasn't bad. Noticeable alcohol, good fruit.. black plum and black cherry, green pepper, light oak, maybe some tobacco or cigar box even (cedar/tobacco), black pepper in the background. Very interesting! As this opens up more it gets better and better. Getting a lot of those different pepper notes and even some barnyard type smell hidden in there.

Wow this tastes good. Thankfully it smells hotter than it tastes. Also not as fruity as it smells either. Just some dark fruit mixed in with a lot of spice, pepper, oak, some green notes, and general earthiness. Some tannin present but not bad, not bitter. Light to medium bodied, pretty balanced, nice acid level, good mouthfeel, good medium finish.
Great food wine. Surprisingly good with salmon, really happy about that. Wish I had some cheese around to try this with.

Solid wine. Buy it if you want to try something different.

Edit: After being open a while now this has settled down a bit and yet revealed itself more. Definitely getting the pepper pot nose and some more funk as well. Smells more like red candy now. Maybe twizzlers. On the palate also changing to red fruit, lush and long finish. Everything is integrating nicely now, I can pick out less than before but it is also different than before. A chameleon!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

hcgray3

quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3

Hi Everyone! I am Heather Gray and I will representing the winery throughout this Woot. I am here to answer any questions you may have. Cheers!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I don't know anything about this wine, but the cool label is almost swaying me on its own.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
redwinefan wrote:I don't know anything about this wine, but the cool label is almost swaying me on its own.

The label really is quite the looker. Is there a story behind the art?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123

The last of my lab rat duties and I could not be more surprised by this wine.
I loved the deep red color at the start. Unfortunately that is all I liked in the first glass. Immediately, I wished I could open this bottle in a year or 5. I let it sit for an hour and half and came back to a totally different wine. Fruit combined with the leather nose. The harsh tannins on the finish were gone and replaced by deep red fruit and pepper. I can’t believe this was the same wine.
This is a wine that could be had on its own but would be great with a steak or bbq ribs. I think since it is a 3 pack drink one now, one in two years and one in 5 plus years to see it mature. Of the 3 wines I have ratted this has been my favorite.
In for 1

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hi All,

Neil put this deal together. Who's Neil?

He's the new guy. Commence rookie hazing.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Winedavid39 wrote:Hi All,

Dear Neil,

Give all of us WD's lunch money!

How was that? Robbing your boss seems like a good start.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hcgray3

lassow wrote:The label really is quite the looker. Is there a story behind the art?

The winemaker, Dorothy Schuler, is very good friends with an artist named Morse Clary. She gave him her vision and the face is what he created for us. For each different wine we make, we have a different color back ground. Makes it fun and definitely catches the eye!

kylemittskus

I am really intrigued. I may not be able to hold myself back on this one. Tyger, what say you?

I also love the late-night winery participation. So, winery participant, convince me.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I am really intrigued. I may not be able to hold myself back on this one. Tyger, what say you?

I also love the late-night winery participation. So, winery participant, convince me.

You know I never turn down a nice deal sez I

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11

Does it have anything to do why we are getting mid-week lab rats?

Are we going to be seeing less of you?

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:You know I never turn down a nice deal sez I

Ooooo. Cesare's labrat report has caused me to pause. Doesn't sound much like my style. I'm sleeping on it so don't count on me if you're really interested.

hcgray3

kylemittskus wrote:I am really intrigued. I may not be able to hold myself back on this one. Tyger, what say you?

Try it ~ you'll like it!!
(convinced? or need more??)

Cesare

quality posts: 1671 Private Messages Cesare
kylemittskus wrote:Ooooo. Cesare's labrat report has caused me to pause. Doesn't sound much like my style. I'm sleeping on it so don't count on me if you're really interested.

Knowing you.. it is probably not as fruity as you'd like. More of an old world style wine BUT with the backbone (read: alcohol) to carry it along. Lower alcohol European wines are nice but sometimes they just fall apart too quickly. This hides its alcohol well and is a good food wine. I would say better with food than without but I'm telling you I am still drinking this now at almost 2am it is tasting damn fine by itself.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Set up for shipping to Maryland and you'd have a sale!

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

I've tried many wines in my day, are there any that this can be compared to in terms of bouquet?

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Hellooo Wooters! Happy to be the new guy and happy to be here. Sitting on the porch having a glass of Pimentiero as I type. Summer has finally arrived here in Los Angeles, it's still 83 degrees at 11:30PM!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
neilfindswine wrote:Hellooo Wooters! Happy to be the new guy and happy to be here. Sitting on the porch having a glass of Pimentiero as I type. Summer has finally arrived here in Los Angeles, it's still 83 degrees at 11:30PM!

Welcome aboard, Neil! Nice to meet you.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

Really like the descriptions from the labrats. Seems like an interesting mix. I don't have any wines from theses grapes right now so might as well go in for these.

First sucker: jonlipsky
Speed to first woot: 3m 17.640s
Last wooter to woot: crzycajn70

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm

Lab Rat Report

2008 Bodegas Paso Robles Pimenteiro

So, this was another less-than-perfect wine tasting scenario, but a LabRat has to do what a LabRat has to do, given the constraints of getting things done by press time!

It was my wife’s birthday party and there were 16 of us celebrating at the summer camp on a lovely island in Lake Winnipesaukee. A total of ten in the party really wanted to taste, so it was clear from the start that this was not going to be a long, dragged-out-over-dinner, sharing and exchanging experiences of how this wine interacted with foods and time over the extent of a full evening. Some of the tasters like and know their red wines, while others prefer whites, and still others are somewhere in between or elsewhere. We opened the bottle and pretty much poured it all out among the proffered glasses.

I don’t think anyone disliked the wine, but I also think that there wasn’t much enthusiasm among the tasters to go out of their way or to pay a lot to get this wine again. I think part of the issue might have been that people might have been expecting a big, rich red wine since they were part of this important, nationwide wine testing and then they were underwhelmed by a lighter, more subtle wine, but then I also think they were pretty accurate in their overall conclusions.

Here are a few select comments:

- hint of cherry, slow start, but somewhat stronger finish;
- watery, yet still a bit zingy, and not chocolaty;
- a hint of oak;
- ordinary, yet pleasant;
- light;
- lighter that I like;
- starts like a Yugo, finishes like a Fiat (not sure where that one was going);
- light, but kind of zingy;
- tastes like an under $15 dinner wine.

I’m not sure what to conclude from all the input except that this isn’t a big, robust red dinner wine ready to take on whatever you put it up against. I personally liked it more, I think, than most of my co-tasters, but I agree that it is not particularly a “stand out” in terms of color, aroma or taste. We had some nice appetizers such as goat cheese with basil in olive oil and another herb and cream cheese dip while tasting, however, and I do think the wine held up to these strong flavors. I know that I will remember this wine and if I see it at a reasonable price in a store I will not hesitate to purchase it. Thanks once more wine.woot!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Some variety in varietals (see what I did there...), a cool label, and most important ... lab rat reports indicating it's a wine I'll drink. I'm in.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

tdkayl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdkayl

In for two! I was sold with the food pairings, how much better than great with blue cheese and steak!!

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:Hellooo Wooters! Happy to be the new guy and happy to be here. Sitting on the porch having a glass of Pimentiero as I type. Summer has finally arrived here in Los Angeles, it's still 83 degrees at 11:30PM!

What! Another shill??

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Had this varietal (not the bodegas, another one) as a wine pairing at wd~50, and really enjoyed it. It was good enough to make me go in for one.

CT

hillhousehughie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hillhousehughie

Blue Cheese?! I'm think'n a nice delmonico with a blue cheese butter crown.But, I'm afraid this wine just doesn't have the staying power for it.

MaureenV

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MaureenV
cdgrimm wrote:Lab Rat Report

Based on the other rats comments, the critical issue might be how long you let the wine breathe before drinking. Could you expand on that? Thanks.

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm
MaureenV wrote:Based on the other rats comments, the critical issue might be how long you let the wine breathe before drinking. Could you expand on that? Thanks.

We did not let it breathe very long at all and had a different tasting experience from the others who did let it breathe, so it seems to me that could be a critical difference.

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP
Cesare wrote: Getting a lot of those different pepper notes and even some barnyard type smell hidden in there.

Cesare, only you can make "some barnyard type smell" actually sound good.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Welcome...

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
tytiger58 wrote:What! Another shill??

Didn't you read Winedavid's intro:

Hi All,

mochamix79

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79

So I think I understand the meaning of the two different pH levels given, but I'm wondering what the over all pH of the bottled product is? Is this just simple math - add the two together and divide by 2? Or does the pH of the different wines as fermented play an entirely different part in the composition? I love the idea of a 3.59, but a 3.85 is just too mellow for me.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge that might help?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
mochamix79 wrote:So I think I understand the meaning of the two different pH levels given, but I'm wondering what the over all pH of the bottled product is? Is this just simple math - add the two together and divide by 2? Or does the pH of the different wines as fermented play an entirely different part in the composition? I love the idea of a 3.59, but a 3.85 is just too mellow for me.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge that might help?

First, those appear to be harvest numbers. pH typically rises significantly during both alcoholic and malolactic fermentations. Judging by the tasting notes, this wine has had acid additions.

Second, since pH is a logarithmic scale, averaging the two numbers doesn't work. Even converting from log numbers and averaging doesn't work because of variable buffering capacities in grape juices and wines.

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:Didn't you read Winedavid's intro:

Hi All,

Tyger was joking. Hence, the very manly winky face.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Tyger was joking. Hence, the very manly winky face.

hyuk!

damn filters

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:Tyger was joking. Hence, the very manly winky face.

Indeed... winky-face's always welcome here!

By the way, I am a shill in that I'm a big fan of Bodegas and what they're doing. Dorothy, the winemaker, is tirelessly passionate about promoting the unsung grapes of Spain and Portugal grown here in California.

This is quality juice first and foremost, a great fruit/acid balance, black pepper notes countered with sweet tobacco, nice texture and considerable finish. ...and I can tell you it was a happy pairing with a little gorgonzola cheese last night.

An un-ordinary wine at a great price. I shot a little argon into the bottle last night, so we'll see how day 2 goes this eve...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

hcgray3

hillhousehughie wrote:Blue Cheese?! I'm think'n a nice delmonico with a blue cheese butter crown.But, I'm afraid this wine just doesn't have the staying power for it.

I must disagree with you, I have had this wine with bleu cheese and not only does it stand up to it, it is extremely complimentary. Great pairing!

hcgray3

SonomaBouliste wrote:First, those appear to be harvest numbers. pH typically rises significantly during both alcoholic and malolactic fermentations. Judging by the tasting notes, this wine has had acid additions.

Second, since pH is a logarithmic scale, averaging the two numbers doesn't work. Even converting from log numbers and averaging doesn't work because of variable buffering capacities in grape juices and wines.

Hi there, the two pH levels were taken the day after the grapes were destemmed. The 3.59 was the Bastardo and the 3.85 was the Tempranillo. The winemaker is on the road and doesn't have her book with her for me to give you the overall pH. The Tempranillo was acidulated but not the Bastardo. I hope this helps!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Dear Neil,

Give all of us WD's lunch money!

How was that? Robbing your boss seems like a good start.

and then Kyle's lunch

I don't need his money, but I am hungry

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)