zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare

Summerland Winery Red Sampler - 4 Pack
$59.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2007 Summerland Trio Rhone Blend (Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre)
1 2007 Summerland Paso Robles Grenache
1 2008 Summerland Paso Robles Zinfandel
1 2007 Summerland French Camp Vineyard Zinfandel Paso Robles
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare

Labrat report on the French Camp Zin:

Very light red-purplish color. Almost pinot noir light. On the nose, stewed dark fruit, lots of alcohol, and some other chemical note mixed in. Something like acetone or some other similar compound. No oak or any oak associated notes.

This tastes light and hot. Light bodied and hot from alcohol. (14.5 on the label, 14.2 on the main page, 15.2 on the winery website!?) I also get a slight sparkling feel but you can't actually see it in the glass. Also lots of acid. Oh yeah and some fruit, I would say past raisin and more like prune. Not jammy and not a fruit-bomb. Can't really pick out much more than that. Short finish.

This "reminds me" of a zin, at least it starts off that way when you smell it but the taste is not really what you expect. It's an ok wine, not undrinkable, just not great. Three of us finished the bottle and it was decent with the grilled chicken we had but I wouldn't pair it with anything bigger than that. An ok summer drinker I guess. Maybe chilled? Compared to the Hahn cab franc (not a fair comparison but it was the last wine I had) the Hahn was much better. Also, I wouldn't hold this too long.
Curious to see what the other rats think of the other wines.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

If you are on your way to Santa Barbara this is the first winery that you'll come across which is probably why we stopped and tried it.
I visited their tasting room in summer 09' and can't say I really enjoyed anything I tried.

Although at the time I was a very new to wine so maybe I should give them another shot.

40% off the winery site without comparing shipping on all four bottles. So its a good discount, the trio goes for $35 by itself.

Also, the 07' zin. has terrible CT notes. (interested to see what Labby Cesare has to say about it.)

CT

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123

Paso Robles Zinfandel

First impressions
Right out of the bottle
Screw top, it does not bother me one bit. In fact I like screw tops for wine that is ready to drink now.
Color is light, not rose light but more sangiovese/pinot color. Wife said if she didn’t know what it was she would have guessed sangiovese based on the color
Nose- FRUTY, distinctively raspberry and cherry. Making me nervous this is going to be a fruit bomb.
First taste- totally not what I expect. There is a quick hit of spice then the red fruits linger after the swallow. Going to let it open up a bit and come back.
Dinner
Had it with pasta and a peppery mushroom sauce. It did not pair well. This wine is too light for the pepper. Pizza or pasta with a light sauce would be much better.
After dinner
The wine has been open for 2 hours. Getting a distinct black licorice with the red fruit. The spice has decreased.
Overall impression
This is not a big red meat zin. It is a zin perfect for a light casual dinner on a nice summer night.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

When was the 2008 Paso Robles Zinfandel harvested and what were the brix?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

What's up with the two CT tasting notes on the 2007 French Camp Zin? Can the winery explain why the two tasters got a fritz or a fizz sensation?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19

Looks like this may be a real mixed bag. The 07 Summerland Trio got an average of 90.5 points on Cellar Tracker http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=845919, but the Zinfandel got hammered http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&szSearch=2007+Summerland+French+Camp+Vineyard+Zinfandel(50 and 75!). Wow, so you get a Lexus and a Yugo, how about the Grenache?

come2thedarkside

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
pfajardo19 wrote:Looks like this may be a real mixed bag. The 07 Summerland Trio got an average of 90.5 points on Cellar Tracker http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=845919, but the Zinfandel got hammered http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&szSearch=2007+Summerland+French+Camp+Vineyard+Zinfandel(50 and 75!). Wow, so you get a Lexus and a Yugo, how about the Grenache?

Looks like the Grenache got pretty low reviews on Cellar Tracker too: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=857337. So the question begs, is the deal worth while if only one of the 3 wines appears good? Wonder if the CT reviews on the Zin were an anomaly. Will wait till more lab rats weigh in although comments like this from CT, ...."but I will probably take my other bottle to a party rather than keeping it for myself", probably won't change my mind. No Trigger Pull for this baby!

come2thedarkside

etienneatsummerland

quality posts: 17 Private Messages etienneatsummerland

Hi Everybody,

Etienne Terlinden winemaker for Summerland winery here.
Im getting ready to do some vineyard sampling tomorrow morning on some Sauvignon blanc. Its getting realy close to harvest time. I hope it gets a little warmer to help the vines develope a little more flavor or phenolic maturity.

etienneatsummerland

The wine was meant to be drunk with a some hi tones on CO2 to lift the pallet. Its a fruity wine that is best served slightly chilled. If the wine is served too warm the CO2 will be more apparent. The wine is unfined or filtered and does not travel well.
In our tasting room where we control the way the wine is presented it gets a nice following.
Cheers,
Etienne

etienneatsummerland

lassow wrote:When was the 2008 Paso Robles Zinfandel harvested and what were the brix?

The 08 Paso Zin was picked the third week of September at above 24 brix. This Zin is actuallay Primotivo clone and is lighter in style than your typical California Zin. Its more like a southern Italian style wine, light and fruity. We say Zin on the label because the TTB was still confused on the whether Zinfandel and Primotivo was one in the same. Although we know now that is not true.

etienneatsummerland

cortot20 wrote:If you are on your way to Santa Barbara this is the first winery that you'll come across which is probably why we stopped and tried it.
I visited their tasting room in summer 09' and can't say I really enjoyed anything I tried.

Although at the time I was a very new to wine so maybe I should give them another shot.

40% off the winery site without comparing shipping on all four bottles. So its a good discount, the trio goes for $35 by itself.

Also, the 07' zin. has terrible CT notes. (interested to see what Labby Cesare has to say about it.)

I hope you give it another shot. Come to our wine club partty on September 10th and I will taste some new releases with you. Cheers, Etienne

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm

Lab Rat Report

2007 Summerland – Trio

First a quick note about the condition of the bottle. Although it arrived here in New Hampshire in seasonably cool and wonderful weather at the end of last week, the weekend was very warm and humid and by the time I actually uncorked the bottle on Monday evening, the cork was kind of spongy. I can’t say if it was like this upon arrival, or if the mid/upper-80s temp, super humid conditions and the fact that it traveled several different places over the weekend had anything to do with it, but wanted to note that going forward there might have been a storage issue. No indication of any air infiltration with this bottle, however.

We opened the bottle Labor Day evening at a neighborhood dinner party with six enthusiastic volunteer tasters. I think it is a bit problematic trying to taste a wine at an event with more than 2, 3 or at most 4 people, but the hectic life of a Lab Rat sometimes just doesn’t offer any alternatives!

First impressions (and for that matter all impressions from then on) were universally positive. Color is very dark to the point of almost being opaque. Strong legs and while from the start the aroma hinted to the wine’s complexity, it didn’t give a lot away early on. Some of the specific comments included:

- really nice, warm, taste really stays with you;
- very full, Syrah fullness comes through, full and deep, dry and rich and nice after taste;
- very, very smooth and really complements the smoked Gouda appetizer.

We started tasting this wine too soon and that was clear as it just got better and better as it settled and breathed and by the time it was probably most ready to drink, we didn’t have much left to go around! The aroma from the glass and the complexity of the taste kept getting richer. Several of us still had some in our glasses when the pizza and salads were served and given how well this wine complemented a slice of pepperoni/sausage pizza with a good sprinkling of red pepper flakes, it’s clear that it would be really good with a slower paced, better balanced meal.

When we switched over to the everyday pinot noir the difference was immediate and noticeable. The subtle strength of the Trio contrasted with the much more jarring taste of the less complicated wine. A very nice wine. Thanks, wine.woot!

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7
etienneatsummerland wrote:The wine . . . does not travel well.

Then how is it supposed to get to my door without being swill? Also, without being a chemist, I don't understand why warmth would affect CO2 of a wine? A cold can of pop has the same amount of carbonation as a warm one, from my non-scientific study. If anything, I would posit that warmth would make the fizz less apparent, but that is just conjecture.

I got so excited for this after reading the CT reviews of 90, and then it just fell off. I can't really chalk it up to an anomoly that two different CT reviews point to flaws in the wine. Cesare's review was quite tempered, and I get the feeling that "ok" in this context means "the same as stuff I can find on the bottom shelf of the supermarket."

etienneatsummerland

keithnowak7 wrote:Then how is it supposed to get to my door without being swill? Also, without being a chemist, I don't understand why warmth would affect CO2 of a wine? A cold can of pop has the same amount of carbonation as a warm one, from my non-scientific study. If anything, I would posit that warmth would make the fizz less apparent, but that is just conjecture.

I got so excited for this after reading the CT reviews of 90, and then it just fell off. I can't really chalk it up to an anomoly that two different CT reviews point to flaws in the wine. Cesare's review was quite tempered, and I get the feeling that "ok" in this context means "the same as stuff I can find on the bottom shelf of the supermarket."

The CO2 that is not statying in solution has something to do with Boils Law. Have you ever opend a warm can of coke and noticed that it was realy active. When a liquid is cool it will retain more disolved gasses.
I like to serve the wine at 50F and decant it. The the fizz is less aparent but is still there to lift the pallet. The CO2 also gives some acid balance in the form of carbonic acid. It also preserves the fruitiness of the wine
Cheers, Etienne

etienneatsummerland

pfajardo19 wrote:Looks like this may be a real mixed bag. The 07 Summerland Trio got an average of 90.5 points on Cellar Tracker http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=845919, but the Zinfandel got hammered http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&szSearch=2007+Summerland+French+Camp+Vineyard+Zinfandel(50 and 75!). Wow, so you get a Lexus and a Yugo, how about the Grenache?

I think all my children are amazing in their little way. Each wine has a prticular way it should be presented and paired with food. The Zins go well will light meats and the Trio with hard cheese and steak.
I hope you will give all a try.
Cheers,
Etienne

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
etienneatsummerland wrote:The CO2 that is not statying in solution has something to do with Boils Law. Have you ever opend a warm can of coke and noticed that it was realy active. When a liquid is cool it will retain more disolved gasses.
I like to serve the wine at 50F and decant it. The the fizz is less aparent but is still there to lift the pallet. The CO2 also gives some acid balance in the form of carbonic acid. It also preserves the fruitiness of the wine
Cheers, Etienne

I think that's Boyle's Law - but that states that at constant temperature for a fixed mass, the absolute pressure and the volume of a gas are inversely proportional. What you're referring to are the notions that (1) as temperature of the wine increases, the pressure of the CO2 also increases, and (2) the higher the temperature, the less of the gas stays in solution.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I can't figure out why one would want a non-sparkling wine to have any carbonation. Especially in a red wine. I can see this happening accidentally with secondary fermentation in bottle, but intentionally, I just don't get it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:I can't figure out why one would want a non-sparkling wine to have any carbonation. Especially in a red wine. I can see this happening accidentally with secondary fermentation in bottle, but intentionally, I just don't get it.

Its a simple case of trying to make lemonade.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Its a simple case of trying to make lemonade.

This is what I assume, as well. Secondary fermentation can often be resolved with an hour of decanting. I'm just trying to get some translucency here.

JJHACamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JJHACamp

there's a Barbera de Monferrante (sp?) that's classified as "frizzante". It's not a sparkling wine but has the fizz...served slightly chilled...it's an amazingly refreshing red wine for the summer

Maybe that's what they're going for?

etienneatsummerland

rpm wrote:I think that's Boyle's Law - but that states that at constant temperature for a fixed mass, the absolute pressure and the volume of a gas are inversely proportional. What you're referring to are the notions that (1) as temperature of the wine increases, the pressure of the CO2 also increases, and (2) the higher the temperature, the less of the gas stays in solution.

My mistake! I meant Henry's law. The law of solubility. CO2 which is a product of fermentation will stay in solution if the liquid is cool. If it warms up it will come out of solution. That is whey Champagne bottles explode if it gets too warm.

I made this Zin on the edge to try and break out from the rest. I have been getting equal positive feedback as well as negative. I think I might hold back on making a Zin that is so fragile and reacts to temperatures outside cool cellar conditions.

As a winemaker I love to hear all your feedback because in the end I have to make wine that pleases the pallate. Cheers, Etienne Terlinden

etienneatsummerland

JJHACamp wrote:there's a Barbera de Monferrante (sp?) that's classified as "frizzante". It's not a sparkling wine but has the fizz...served slightly chilled...it's an amazingly refreshing red wine for the summer

Maybe that's what they're going for?

Yup! You got it. Try chilling it to 50F and then decanting it. Its a great summer BBQ wine.
Cheers,
Etienne Terlinden

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I think all Lab Rats should receive a wine tasting wheel along with the wine they are supposed to taste. Too often I read a report from a Lab Rat that is full of commentary about a "nice" tasting wine which gives me absolutely no clue concerning the qualities of the wine that was tasted.

mdnorman

And for whatever it's worth... It's neither "pallet" nor "pallate." It's "palate".

etienneatsummerland

To all the Wooters,

Thanks for trying my wine, its been fun talking to you all. The great thing about this business is that it keeps you humble.
I hope you will all give my other wines a chance. Especially the Theresa-Noelle vineyard designate that will be making some great Pinot noir this year.
Cheers,
Etienne Terlinden
Winemaker, Summerland Winery

mdnorman

Since no one else has noted it, I will..

For high quality wine from a boutique winery, this Woot deal is being offered at a great price!

Three solid wines plus a fourth intriguing, slightly spritzy palate cleanser -- which should be served slightly chilled and would be perfect for the end of summer barbeques coming up.

etienneatsummerland

mdnorman wrote:Since no one else has noted it, I will..

For high quality wine from a boutique winery, this Woot deal is being offered at a great price!

Three solid wines plus a fourth intriguing, slightly spritzy palate cleanser -- which should be served slightly chilled and would be perfect for the end of summer barbeques coming up.

Thanks for the up lifting comments and the spell check
I hope to see you in our tasting room in Summerland for a flight of wine on me.

Cheers,

Etienne

kylemittskus

etienneatsummerland wrote:Thanks for the up lifting comments and the spell check
I hope to see you in our tasting room in Summerland for a flight of wine on me.

Cheers,

Etienne

I didn't purchase because I'm trying to stop my addiction.(Step one: avoid W.W. Step one: failed.) However, I appreciate your willingness to talk with us and take our myriad of opinions in stride. Cheers!

cdgrimm

mdnorman wrote:I think all Lab Rats should receive a wine tasting wheel along with the wine they are supposed to taste. Too often I read a report from a Lab Rat that is full of commentary about a "nice" tasting wine which gives me absolutely no clue concerning the qualities of the wine that was tasted.

I'd say that "nice" means that they personally like what they are tasting, which to my mind is just as validating as some other subjective set of adjectives.

mdnorman

cdgrimm wrote:I'd say that "nice" means that they personally like what they are tasting, which to my mind is just as validating as some other subjective set of adjectives.

"I am sure," cried Catherine, "I did not mean to say anything wrong; but it is a nice book, and why should I not call it so?" "Very true," said Henry, "and this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk; and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything." [Jane Austen, "Northanger Abbey"]

cdgrimm

mdnorman wrote:"I am sure," cried Catherine, "I did not mean to say anything wrong; but it is a nice book, and why should I not call it so?" "Very true," said Henry, "and this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk; and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything." [Jane Austen, "Northanger Abbey"]

Why not just use this site:

http://www.gmon.com/tech/output.shtml ?

jokn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokn

First thing I've ever ordered from Woot. Ordered on 9/6/11 -- Just got an email today 9/22/11 that it's shipping. Seriously? Slowest shipping company EVER and the "My account" section could use a redesign. Is a 2+ week shipping delay to expected on all orders? If so, I will not order again!

I'd like to actually post a review of the wine, but I still haven't received it..

EDIT: Somebody from woot emailed me explaining what was up. Seems they're on a shipping schedule for the summer. Still waiting for a couple more weeks...

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma
jokn wrote:First thing I've ever ordered from Woot. Ordered on 9/6/11 -- Just got an email today 9/22/11 that it's shipping. Seriously? Slowest shipping company EVER and the "My account" section could use a redesign. Is a 2+ week shipping delay to expected on all orders? If so, I will not order again!

I'd like to actually post a review of the wine, but I still haven't received it... thanks woot for being terrible.

This one seems a bit out of the norm in regards to shipping time. It looks like they may have done a combined shipping with their woot-off offering of Sept 14. My guess, and it is purely a guess, is the earlier available pickup dates and times from the shipping company did not work out for the winery.

jokn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokn
stratma wrote:This one seems a bit out of the norm in regards to shipping time. It looks like they may have done a combined shipping with their woot-off offering of Sept 14. My guess, and it is purely a guess, is the earlier available pickup dates and times from the shipping company did not work out for the winery.

After I inquired where my shipment was somebody sent me this.

During the summer, our wine shipments are strategic rather than timely because our winery has to compete with the heat. Your tracking information is valid and will update when FedEx gets the package in their hands. Please let us know in a week or so if it's still showing no movement. Under normal circumstances, it can take 2-3 weeks for delivery, your wine can be slightly delayed in the summer.

Here’s a blog entry that explains our summer wine shipping: http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=2548