$51.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 6 2007 Central Coast Cabernet Franc
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1599 Private Messages Cesare

Very pleased to report for labrat duty on this wine. Received the package Thursday afternoon, let it rest and had it with dinner tonight.

The wine is a nice deep reddish color. I would say a little more than a ruby red. Nose is pretty tight upon opening, just some fruit and alcohol. First sip- fruity with some heat and a bit of acidity. This really needs some air.

After a little while I can pick out more on the nose. Some red and dark berries, possibly a little smoke, something bitter (dark chocolate?), and fair amount of alcohol showing. No oak.
It tastes pretty smooth, very low tannin, quite a bit of acidity, red berry fruit, and a lot of alcohol, but overall kind of light. It looks and smells bigger than it is and if it wasn't for the 14.5 alcohol I suspect it would have even less body. The low level of oak also contributes to this. Finish is not bad, medium to long. A little acidic bite at the end.

Definitely more of a food wine due to the high acidity and relatively low body. Not a typical CA Cab Franc but for the price it's a solid wine. Reminds me of many other central coast wines...kind of that non-descript fruity low tannin high alcohol wine, except this one tastes less "mass produced".
If you are looking for an inexpensive, easy to drink, food-friendly wine this is it. You could do much worse for under $10 at the store.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Is anyone else skeptical that a well made cab franc can go for less than 10 bucks?

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven
trifecta wrote:Is anyone else skeptical that a well made cab franc can go for less than 10 bucks?

Yes.

Last wooter to woot: silent7seven

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

devzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devzero
trifecta wrote:Is anyone else skeptical that a well made cab franc can go for less than 10 bucks?

I'm an poooony with poor impulse control. I'll find out.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Had the 2008 from the winery a few months ago, and paid $23. My note said if it had been woot price it would have been excellent value. I'd love to go in on a set but don't have the space. Would love to spilt with somebody.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

devzero

klezman wrote:Had the 2008 from the winery a few months ago, and paid $23. My note said if it had been woot price it would have been excellent value. I'd love to go in on a set but don't have the space. Would love to spilt with somebody.

no such thing as not enough space. under the kids' bed? bathtub? shower? At this price, it could go in the toy chest, as long as the corkscrews are hidden...

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

i'm not the first sucker, but i had to try it...and if i like it, i'll regret not buying more, since i love a good franc.

devzero

szecsei wrote:i'm not the first sucker, but i had to try it...and if i like it, i'll regret not buying more, since i love a good franc.

And I'm sure a good Frank loves you, too.

(sorry. I've been at work for 15 hours and am getting silly).

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod

Its very tempting but there is little information on the 2007 out there. The reviews of other years are hit and miss. Guess I could go to bevmo and get the 2006 to try first, at roughly the same cost.

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

I'm a huge fan of Hahn Estases wine!

If you are also a fan, think about joining their wine club after you woot!

https://store.hahnfamilywines.com/index.cfm?method=clubs.showClubList

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

demeyer1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages demeyer1

This is all there is up on CT:
"Community Tasting Notes (average 83.7 pts. and median of 82 pts. in 3 notes) - hiding notes with no text
Tasted by Carmen.jl on 1/10/2011 & rated 87 points: Paid 9.99 on 1-10.-11
Dark and full flavored (360 views)"

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

I am a huge Hahn fan, they are very drinkable, in my price point, and I love a dry, fruity red. It is affordable enough to cook with. These will go in my everyday rack and be my go to wine for dinner.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

flaura22

quality posts: 9 Private Messages flaura22

If I order this, what are the chances of having it by September 17? (Thinking of having it for a party.)

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

I'm hoping it's better than the Meeker offering, but I'm not holding my breath

CT

fcherena

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fcherena
flaura22 wrote:If I order this, what are the chances of having it by September 17? (Thinking of having it for a party.)

I'd say likely, but it depends on where the party is! I am in NY and I typically recieve shipments in 10-12 calendar days from date of purchase.

Think of it this way, worst case, it comes after the party to reload...and nothing like a little hair of the dog. ;-)

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm

Lab Rat report

At first I was a little confused because the overnight package from Sonoma arrived an hour or more before the explanatory email and there was nothing in the box indicating that this was a “Lab Rat” sample, although it was always clear to me that I was to taste and then share what I thought. Wine.woot might want to include the words Lab Rat somewhere with the package.

So, I opened the Hahn Estates Cabernet Franc about a half hour or so before we started drinking. My wife and I poured a couple of glasses and checked out the color, consistency and aromas. My wife’s first impression was that it quite dark and a little “musty” smelling. I liked the deep ruby color and the rich smell. With the first sip my wife said it was “smooth and a little spicy and delicious.” I agreed and remarked that it was heartier than what I anticipated for a Cabernet Franc, and very pleasant.

We had already planned a somewhat spicy dinner of shrimp sautéed with fresh chopped tomatoes and eggplant and dashed with a bit of feta and Romano over pasta and we stayed with this plan. The food and the wine mixed quite well, although I think a meat dish might go even better with this wine than the savory seafood dish.

We enjoyed the bottle to the end. Eventually the initial musty/spicy taste settled down to a simpler, but nice tasting wine. We both decided that it was a very good wine (and I think I will put in for six of them), but it doesn’t rise to the level of something really special, nor does it claim to, and that’s OK. I was thrilled to be a Lab Rat for the first time and very happy to have been able to review a nice wine.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
Cesare wrote:
Very pleased to report for labrat duty on this wine. Received the package Thursday afternoon, let it rest and had it with dinner tonight.

The wine is a nice deep reddish color. I would say a little more than a ruby red. Nose is pretty tight upon opening, just some fruit and alcohol. First sip- fruity with some heat and a bit of acidity. This really needs some air.

After a little while I can pick out more on the nose. Some red and dark berries, possibly a little smoke, something bitter (dark chocolate?), and fair amount of alcohol showing. No oak.
It tastes pretty smooth, very low tannin, quite a bit of acidity, red berry fruit, and a lot of alcohol, but overall kind of light. It looks and smells bigger than it is and if it wasn't for the 14.5 alcohol I suspect it would have even less body. The low level of oak also contributes to this. Finish is not bad, medium to long. A little acidic bite at the end.

Definitely more of a food wine due to the high acidity and relatively low body. Not a typical CA Cab Franc but for the price it's a solid wine. Reminds me of many other central coast wines...kind of that non-descript fruity low tannin high alcohol wine, except this one tastes less "mass produced".
If you are looking for an inexpensive, easy to drink, food-friendly wine this is it. You could do much worse for under $10 at the store.

Nice Labrat Report! I know and have tasted with Cesare for almost 4 years now, so his report has credibility with me. (We don't always agree, but I respect his tasting)

The most important point is that this is likely to be better than anything you can get at a store in the price range. It's not Iron Horse Cabernet Franc, or my cousin Bill Harrison's, but it isn't priced like it and doesn't pretend to be what it's not.

Klezman said he paid $23, which sounds too pricey for the wine, but under $10 makes this something anyone needing daily drinking red for the Fall ought to think seriously about.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

shell6a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shell6a

I'm in for 1, can't wait to try it out.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

I'm a sucker for Cab Franc. Also, Hahn is always my go-to wine by the glass when I see it on a wine list.

WineDavid was my Boss!

renatuslives

quality posts: 10 Private Messages renatuslives

I'll admit that I am too intrigued to let this one slip by. I'm looking forward to an inexpensive exploration!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Was going to pass on this until I read the post. I'm in.

RoosterBooster

quality posts: 50 Private Messages RoosterBooster
Krumlov wrote:I'm a huge fan of Hahn Estases wine!

If you are also a fan, think about joining their wine club after you woot!

https://store.hahnfamilywines.com/index.cfm?method=clubs.showClubList

Thank you for the props Krumlov and I sure hope you don't work for the company Everyone is supposed to ID themselves but people have forgotten.

Morning All!

So ... the 2007 Hahn Cab Franc. A great wine that we're happy to have on Woot. We have made Cab Franc on and off for a number of years but it's been mainly Visitor Center only. For the 2007 vintage we went with broader distribution and that seemed to confuse our distributors. Since it hasn't sold out I was telling WineDavid that this was too good of a QPR wine to sit around. Hence the deal today.

Since the Woot boards are always an eclectic mix of discussions, what shall we talk about today?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Have a safe and happy Labor Day!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

RoosterBooster

rpm wrote:Nice Labrat Report! I know and have tasted with Cesare for almost 4 years now, so his report has credibility with me. (We don't always agree, but I respect his tasting)

I second the thank you to the labrats. We've had almost entirely positive 'rat reports whenever we've been on Woot and for that I thank the winemakers every time I see them.

meneedham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meneedham

Yep. 10 bucks for a Cab Franc - worth the gamble any time! In for two in Tennessee!

Screw, screw, screw, twist, pop, pour, tada!

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Way too good to pass up...I'm in!

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
RoosterBooster wrote:I second the thank you to the labrats. We've had almost entirely positive 'rat reports whenever we've been on Woot and for that I thank the winemakers every time I see them.

OK you got me too-I love Cab Franc and this sounds like a good deal-I do want to put a plug in for Maryland-they can now recieve wine thru the mail but few seem to be buying the license-please I have alot of wine drinking friends over there.

CigarDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CigarDan

Cab Franc is not my favorite varietal, but the QPR here is too high not to bite. In for 2.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: dgriff80
Speed to first woot: 1m 21.927s
Last wooter to woot: CigarDan

timmyjwoot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages timmyjwoot
RoosterBooster wrote:
So ... the 2007 Hahn Cab Franc. A great wine that we're happy to have on Woot. We have made Cab Franc on and off for a number of years but it's been mainly Visitor Center only. For the 2007 vintage we went with broader distribution and that seemed to confuse our distributors. Since it hasn't sold out I was telling WineDavid that this was too good of a QPR wine to sit around. Hence the deal today.

Since the Woot boards are always an eclectic mix of discussions, what shall we talk about today?

Here are some general questions: can you tell us about the vineyard sources for the 2007? What made you decide to widen the distribution for this wine? Did you up the production for it?

I've already ordered a case but still would love to hear a little more about the story of where this wine came from.

RoosterBooster

timmyjwoot wrote:Here are some general questions: can you tell us about the vineyard sources for the 2007? What made you decide to widen the distribution for this wine? Did you up the production for it?

I've already ordered a case but still would love to hear a little more about the story of where this wine came from.

First off, thanks for picking up a case, we very much appreciate it.

So Paul did the Vintner Voicemail a little late so it just went up on the site a while ago, but it answers your question on the vineyards and why distribution grew up for this particular vintage.

As Paul said, it was the conditions of the crop that made us make a wider distribution Cab Franc. We had traditionally made a Visitor Center CF and also blended it into our Meritage (my wife's favorite wine that we make). When Paul was figuring out both how much and what quality we were going to pull in for 2007 he decided to make this wine. Another example of the freedom and trust, for better or worse (usually better) that the Hahn's have in their winemakers and staff.

RoosterBooster

dianefreda wrote:OK you got me too-I love Cab Franc and this sounds like a good deal-I do want to put a plug in for Maryland-they can now recieve wine thru the mail but few seem to be buying the license-please I have alot of wine drinking friends over there.

It's not quite up on the Woot site for this deal that I know about yet, but we have actually gotten the Maryland permit since another state were it's not a felony for me to ship wine is great.

So feel free to tell all your friends that Hahn Family Wines feels their pain and is ready to help them out.

wwentland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wwentland

I am a fan of the Meritage from this winery and it always has been a nice everyday wine at a good price point. Since the Cab Franc is a part of that one and we are fans of Cab Francs in general, going to go in for this one. Should be fun.

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123

Lab Rat report

Sorry for my late post. Just got home and popped the cork. Started on it right away.
Color is a deep red.
Nose is smokey with an overwhelming smell of alcohol and berries.
First taste is slightly peppery, smokey with a berry taste but not overly ripe or fruity.
Finish is dry.
Initial impression, needs some time to open. Going to give it an hour and try again with food (wife is making duck) and will save a bit for after dinner. Stay tuned i will keep posting as we drink oh I mean taste.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

runner0382

quality posts: 1 Private Messages runner0382

Seeing that the cheapest B&M price for Hahn's Central Coast wines I've seen is $8 and that they already make solid wines for their retail pricing, I would recommend it, though I haven't tasted this varietal myself.

I think most people here know (and I'm no wine expert) that CabFranc is one tough grape and vitners don't grow it unless they know what they're doing. Most CA CabFranc I've had has been pretty solid, as it's a rewarding grape if you get it right.

Between the price and Hahn, I'd recommend it, blindly!

sflong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sflong

I can't wait to try this Cab Franc out, seems it's always a little tricky to come by unless you find the right store. Hoping the wine is as good as the reviews.

apw2123

apw2123 wrote:
Lab Rat report

Sorry for my late post. Just got home and popped the cork. Started on it right away.
Color is a deep red.
Nose is smokey with an overwhelming smell of alcohol and berries.
First taste is slightly peppery, smokey with a berry taste but not overly ripe or fruity.
Finish is dry.
Initial impression, needs some time to open. Going to give it an hour and try again with food (wife is making duck) and will save a bit for after dinner. Stay tuned i will keep posting as we drink oh I mean taste.

Dinner is over and the duck with raspberry balsamic glaze paired perfectly with the Hahn Cab Franc.
The sweetness of the sauce softened the acidity and the 45min in the glass decreased the alcohol smell and taste. The berries in the wine were brought out by the sauce and left almost no hint of smoke. The wife says it is more pepper not smoke. Either way it was almost gone.
Time to clean dishes and we will finish the bottle during the US vs CRC game tonight.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

RoosterBooster wrote:It's not quite up on the Woot site for this deal that I know about yet, but we have actually gotten the Maryland permit since another state were it's not a felony for me to ship wine is great.

So feel free to tell all your friends that Hahn Family Wines feels their pain and is ready to help them out.

Maryland is a go. Please pardon the delay.

David

apw2123

apw2123 wrote:Dinner is over and the duck with raspberry balsamic glaze paired perfectly with the Hahn Cab Franc.
The sweetness of the sauce softened the acidity and the 45min in the glass decreased the alcohol smell and taste. The berries in the wine were brought out by the sauce and left almost no hint of smoke. The wife says it is more pepper not smoke. Either way it was almost gone.
Time to clean dishes and we will finish the bottle during the US vs CRC game tonight.

Final post of the night. Unlike the Landon Donavan miss this wine has opened up well. We feel that the wine needs some time in the bottle. If you want to open early give it an hour or more before you drink it.
Tannins and alcohol have chilled out and the spicy fruit has come to the forefront.
As someone who likes Cab Frank as a blending wine and on its own I would lay this one down for a couple of years, make a nice meal and enjoy.