yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
mursecrna wrote:I'm jumping in late here.... Are you having trouble getting Fed ex to hold the shipment at a local Fed Ex location instead of deliver to your residence / business address? I have done it with several woots here in NH and I have used the links thru Fed Ex tracking website to do it. As long as I have done it before it was on the local delivery truck, it has been taken care of no problem.

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. With the most recent shipment, I signed up for email notification from Fedex when they picked up the package. Within 14 hours of that email, the package was still en route from OH to CT I tried to have it held at the facility in Concord, NH. I was repeatedly told that that was not an option even though it hadn't arrived at the station in Portland, ME.

I've now involved the NH liquor commission and preliminarily I've been told that Fedex's explanation is incorrect. This is SO much fun.
Normally I'd let something like this just go, but the staggering lack of knowledge of their own services has prompted me to get in the face of as many people at Fedex as I can.

LOL, on another side note, woot doesn't like it if you use fake markup tags like "<"sarcasm">"asdf"<"/sarcasm">" without all the "

awstansbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awstansbury

Ahh, another great zin from Amador. I'm down for 1. Some wonderful vinos come out of that region; something in the soil out there, something in the soil...

When will we see the Syrah, Barbera, or PS available for the Woot-ang clan? I love these deals.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Loved the wines from the Feb. offering. In for one.

Z

hdfreeman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hdfreeman

I got this bottle by being selected as a labrat. I am normally a big fan of Zins but this one was not my cup of tea. When I first opened the bottle it had a turpentine nose and an unpleasant taste. It improved dramatically after letting it breath for a while but I did not get the Berry aromas and dark fruit aromas described on the bottle. Perhaps this bottle was subject to too much heat during shipping. I have had several good Woot wines in the past so I will pass on purchasing this one and wait for the next great offering.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
gregorylane wrote:After reading this fascinating bit of vino-logical input:

Can the Winery tell us what the Magnetic Polarity of the wine cells in this offering are? And if they can, how about a recommendation on the best swirling direction?
Thanks!

edit:

Sounds like bunkum to me. I've seen lots of claims about how the magnetic polarity of liquid cells has some noticeable effect, but as I understand it the degree of polarity is so small that any effect it might have is miniscule under even the most orderly conditions. Pouring wine into a glass and swirling it is not conducive to the most orderly conditions.

edited for spelling

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
hdfreeman wrote:

I got this bottle by being selected as a labrat. I am normally a big fan of Zins but this one was not my cup of tea. When I first opened the bottle it had a turpentine nose and an unpleasant taste. It improved dramatically after letting it breath for a while but I did not get the Berry aromas and dark fruit aromas described on the bottle. Perhaps this bottle was subject to too much heat during shipping. I have had several good Woot wines in the past so I will pass on purchasing this one and wait for the next great offering.

Lack of fruit and greater astringency could also be a corked bottle - the fruit is first to go. Was the bottle warm when you got it? Was the cork leaking or pushed out of the bottle? Sounds like a poor bottle rather than a poor wine, although waiting for more lab rats to confirm.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This is the same zin that Gary Vaynerchuk tasted when he had the wine maker on his program, and he really liked it and was surprised how it had a bit of oak monster on the nose, but not on the palette.

I'd love to see that Petite Syrah offered on wine.woot that Gary raved about on the same program.

Zephyress

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress
yorknh wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. With the most recent shipment, I signed up for email notification from Fedex when they picked up the package. Within 14 hours of that email, the package was still en route from OH to CT I tried to have it held at the facility in Concord, NH. I was repeatedly told that that was not an option even though it hadn't arrived at the station in Portland, ME.

-----------
I regularly have Wine.Woot shipments held at a local FedEx(Kinko's) location for me to pick up. I can request that re-direction of delivery from my address to the Kinko's only on the afternoon before the package is scheduled to be delivered.

Before the package is in my local sorting hub, the option to have the shipment re-directed is not available. FedEx always leaves a voicemail for me when they receive the package in my city the afternoon before the scheduled delivery, and that's when I go online to request re-direction to Kinko's.

Perhaps their procedures work similarly in your area?

edbone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edbone
yorknh wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. With the most recent shipment, I signed up for email notification from Fedex when they picked up the package. Within 14 hours of that email, the package was still en route from OH to CT I tried to have it held at the facility in Concord, NH. I was repeatedly told that that was not an option even though it hadn't arrived at the station in Portland, ME.

I've now involved the NH liquor commission and preliminarily I've been told that Fedex's explanation is incorrect. This is SO much fun.
Normally I'd let something like this just go, but the staggering lack of knowledge of their own services has prompted me to get in the face of as many people at Fedex as I can.

LOL, on another side note, woot doesn't like it if you use fake markup tags like "<"sarcasm">"asdf"<"/sarcasm">" without all the "

Could it be that the package hasn't actually been picked up by FedEx? Woot shipments seem to always take their time getting shipped anyway but with this summer shipping it seems especially complicated and long. Maybe FedEx doesn't have a package yet? Just a WAG.

Closetnerd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Closetnerd

Well I was fortunate enough to be chosen as a Closet-Lab Rat-Nerd......All I really want to say is: BUY IT!
I was afraid of some of the descriptions as I am not a big OAK or PEPPER fan. I was VERY surprised at how smooth and gorgeous it was after just a few minutes of breathing time. Decanted the bottle and it simply got better and better......as I am a fine wine connoisseur I had a pizza with pepperoni, olives, and an antipasto salad with my selection and it paired quite well.
Bottom line is I am in for a four pack and suggest you do the same if you are on the fence!! Oh, and the 2 girls trying it with me love it as well.......gotta go!!
Enjoy.......

"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."

cgdiarie

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cgdiarie
robble wrote:
I was a lab rat for this Zin - I enjoyed drinking it with my wife along with some grilled fillets and sweet potatoes. They went very well together (maybe not like GG Allin and Marilyn Manson - but more like Snoopy and Woodstock). The first sip is juicy goodness. As the wine has time to breathe, it developed some more character. The label talks about Blackberries, Black Cherry, mocha finish and hints of black pepper. I can't say that I am sophisticated enough to taste all of that. I just tasted a really good Zin. It is a nice bottle to share over a relaxing meal together. The Oak blended in well (I am not normally big on heavy oak and did not taste the oak here). I think that it is priced very well.

Hello Rob! Enjoyment of wine has nothing to do with sophistication. You either enjoy it or you don't. If you enjoy it go for it!

cgdiarie

awstansbury wrote:Ahh, another great zin from Amador. I'm down for 1. Some wonderful vinos come out of that region; something in the soil out there, something in the soil...

When will we see the Syrah, Barbera, or PS available for the Woot-ang clan? I love these deals.

Syrah, Petite Sirah, Barbera are natural for our climate and soil. I make them all. and if woot doesn't have it you can get it from our website.

Closetnerd

cgdiarie wrote:Hello Rob! Enjoyment of wine has nothing to do with sophistication. You either enjoy it or you don't. If you enjoy it go for it!

Please see my post a few minutes ago for clarification....

cgdiarie

coynedj wrote:Sounds like bunkum to me. I've seen lots of claims about how the magnetic polarity of liquid cells has some noticeable effect, but as I understand it the degree of polarity is so small that any effect it might have is miniscule under even the most orderly conditions. Pouring wine into a glass and swirling it is not conducive to the most orderly conditions.

edited for spelling

I believe that the orientation of the molecules in the wine has something to do with the mouthfeel. Filtration through a fine filter will cause the molecules to get oriented in one direction which will make the wine feel more watery. But this is temporary and the mouthfeel will be restored in a matter of a few months.

As far as which direction to swirl the wine, try twice clockwise and once counter clockwise, see how you like it.

Closetnerd

C.G. Di Arie 2006 Zinfandel Shenandoah Valley - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: lakero
Speed to first woot: 5m 31.157s
Last wooter to woot: Closetnerd

:-)

cgdiarie

lassow wrote:Thanks! Will you ever bottle 100% Zinfandel and 100% Primitivo for the sake of comparison or do these particular grapes drink better with some blending, as demonstrated with this wine?

Maybe one day, if I feel that the wine is perfect and I cannot improve it by blending anything into it. If you want to taste the stand alone varieties, come to the winery and taste them from the barrel.

heroartagon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heroartagon

Hi there I just got a bottle today with a golden ticket? I invited my sister, an avid wine taster, to open it and tell you all about it. At first glance it was corked and depressed. I was thinking the worst. I remembered the box was quite warm due to the 90 degree weather around here. Luckily after opening I enjoyed it. The wine was enjoyably smooth, with a fruity body, and not too dry not too sweet. All in all it was great! It was very surprising to receive this in the mail today. Thank you wine.woot!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
cgdiarie wrote:...If you want to taste the stand alone varieties, come to the winery and taste them from the barrel.

That's a gracious offer.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
cgdiarie wrote:Maybe one day, if I feel that the wine is perfect and I cannot improve it by blending anything into it. If you want to taste the stand alone varieties, come to the winery and taste them from the barrel.

Would not be difficult to give in the this temptation. We are going to be in LA end of August... still somewhat of a drive.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

heroartagon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heroartagon

After trying it I am in for one even though it was "corked" ??? i had to look up what a corked bottle was. But I think the heat had a lot to do with that. Anyways corked or not it was really good and I am rather particular on my likes. I really don't think I would have if I hadn't gotten a free one in the mail. Bravo wine.woot marketing!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
Zephyress wrote:-----------
I regularly have Wine.Woot shipments held at a local FedEx(Kinko's) location for me to pick up. I can request that re-direction of delivery from my address to the Kinko's only on the afternoon before the package is scheduled to be delivered.

Before the package is in my local sorting hub, the option to have the shipment re-directed is not available. FedEx always leaves a voicemail for me when they receive the package in my city the afternoon before the scheduled delivery, and that's when I go online to request re-direction to Kinko's.

Perhaps their procedures work similarly in your area?

In my case, I missed the first delivery attempt and went online later the same day and requested it to be held using the door tag number instead of the tracking number.

I was able to pick it up the following day at the local FedEx/Kinkos.

If yorknh has a door tag, it might be worth a shot...

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB

Question for the winery - Any plans (or timetable) to ship to Maryland. I'm not sure what the permitting process is, but direct ship to MD has been available since July 1.

There is a large market here that will buy your wines for no other reason than 'because they can'.

Thanks!

cgdiarie

CapnJB wrote:Question for the winery - Any plans (or timetable) to ship to Maryland. I'm not sure what the permitting process is, but direct ship to MD has been available since July 1.

There is a large market here that will buy your wines for no other reason than 'because they can'.

Thanks!

It's in my "To Do" list for next week. We have a few club members in Maryland and more in our mailing list. The permit fees are steep in Maryland but we decided to bite the bullet. I don't know how long the process takes to get the permit but we will shipping to Maryland soon.

cgdiarie

heroartagon wrote:After trying it I am in for one even though it was "corked" ??? i had to look up what a corked bottle was. But I think the heat had a lot to do with that. Anyways corked or not it was really good and I am rather particular on my likes. I really don't think I would have if I hadn't gotten a free one in the mail. Bravo wine.woot marketing!

It's not difficult to tell the difference between "cooked" and "corked" wine. The former has a caramel-like flavor and the latter has a odor like wet old cardboard that you can pick out if you smell the cork. Personally, I can dring a cooked wine but I can't stand a corked wine. Starting with my 2007 vintage I stopped using natural cork and replaced it with composite cork, which has been made from natural groung cork after having removed the TCA which is responsible for the corkie flavor. I hate corked wines and when I open a bottle that is corkie my blood boils.

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB
cgdiarie wrote:It's in my "To Do" list for next week. We have a few club members in Maryland and more in our mailing list. The permit fees are steep in Maryland but we decided to bite the bullet. I don't know how long the process takes to get the permit but we will shipping to Maryland soon.

Good news... thanks! I'll keep an eye out

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

C.G. Di Arie 2006 Zinfandel Shenandoah Valley - 4 PackCurrent numbers (updated each minute)First sucker: lakeroSpeed to first woot: 5m 31.157sLast wooter to woot: ticomike

x's 2. For the wifey.

sightseer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sightseer

In for one, sounds great.

fmendels

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmendels
Zephyress wrote:-----------
FedEx always leaves a voicemail for me when they receive the package in my city the afternoon before the scheduled delivery

AHA! How do you get them to leave you a voicemail the day before delivery?

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123

I agree with whomever said that the previous CG deArie offering was the surprise of the year. That offering made me a huge fan. I know that these are different wines, but I simply have to try them. The right amount of Petite Syrah in Zinfandel could really make this outstanding.

I'm surprised about the lack of discussion on the board this weekend. If you are on the fence about this, I would happily come by and push you over it. The last offering was so good that it made this an autobuy for me!

Remember, when the kids go back to school, there's even more time to drink wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
joeman123 wrote:I agree with whomever said that the previous CG deArie offering was the surprise of the year. That offering made me a huge fan. I know that these are different wines, but I simply have to try them. The right amount of Petite Syrah in Zinfandel could really make this outstanding.

I'm surprised about the lack of discussion on the board this weekend. If you are on the fence about this, I would happily come by and push you over it. The last offering was so good that it made this an autobuy for me!

Remember, when the kids go back to school, there's even more time to drink wine.

I am on the fence.... I LOVE Zin!! But just finished school shopping with the kids.....money tree can't keep up!!! Someone convince me...

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

When we were at the tasting room last month, my favorite of the wines we sampled was one blend that was not on the regular tasting menu---Interlude. We took a bottle out on a boat we rented on Lake Tahoe a couple of days later with several families, and it was a big hit.

fitzpanther

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fitzpanther

I've been pondering this all weekend - I'm all in. The blending of the juices and the positive coments pushed me off the fence.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Clue?

The square root of Roger.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123
mommadeb1 wrote:I am on the fence.... I LOVE Zin!! But just finished school shopping with the kids.....money tree can't keep up!!! Someone convince me...

Well, I can't help you with the money part, but I am a huge fan of both PS and Zin. In the other de Arie wines, the combination was outstanding. The depth and color of the PS makes it feel like a super rich Zin. I have been waiting for more wines from them to come on woot and I'm glad the wait is over.

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
Winedavid39 wrote:Clue?

The square root of Roger.

The new roessler label. R2

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
joeman123 wrote:Well, I can't help you with the money part, but I am a huge fan of both PS and Zin. In the other de Arie wines, the combination was outstanding. The depth and color of the PS makes it feel like a super rich Zin. I have been waiting for more wines from them to come on woot and I'm glad the wait is over.

Shame you can't help with the money!!

I am still undecided... trying to rationalize my wants from my needs!!

pnotpdcr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages pnotpdcr
cortot20 wrote:The new roessler label. R2

Let's get fired up out there Lab Rats!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
pnotpdcr wrote:Let's get fired up out there Lab Rats!

Usually there are no lab rats for Monday. Although once in while it does happen. R2 is probably the right call. If I had a choice, it would be a nice pinot from Roessler Cellars.

Zephyress

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress
fmendels wrote:AHA! How do you get them to leave you a voicemail the day before delivery?

I don't do anything to get FedEx to leave a voicemail. Once this state started allowing direct shipments of alcohol, FedEx started leaving a voicemail for me for shipments that require an adult signature. I guess from your question, they don't leave voicemails for everyone?

One way around the lack of voicemail notification might be to sign up for the detailed tracking results emails, so you would receive an email when your shipments hits your city.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cortot20 wrote:The new roessler label. R2

Second this.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington