Twitter
Yelp

See this wine tasted in the Gary V tasting video

Previous offer:
2/14/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Can we get some cooperage stats? (new/old)

I like how he lets the oak take the "back seat" in the vintner vm.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lassow

I know that Primitivo and Zinfandel are different varietals(but similar, no?) but exactly how are the two different in this wine?

mplarkin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin

For those who don't know about "New" Shenandoah Valley, here's some info from calwineries.com:

Most Shenandoah Valley wineries are small, family owned operations. The wine region’s unfertile soils keep vineyard yields down. Local wines are handcrafted by boutique Shenandoah Valley Wineries.

Because Shenandoah Valley Wine Country is the least elevated AVA in the region, it has the warmest climate. Shenandoah Wineries focus on Zinfandel, because grapes are able to develop high sugar levels to produce full-bodied, spicy wines.

The terrain of Shenandoah Valley Wine Country is made of sandy-loam and granitic soils. In conjunction with warm temperatures, Shenandoah Wineries use these unfertile soils produce red wines with lots of tannins and high alcohol levels.

When gold was discovered in 1848, Shenandoah Valley became a key part of the states’s winemaking history. Vineyards and wineries immediately sprang up to cater to this new market of mainly young, single men. As a legacy to this early vineyard development, some of the oldest Zinfandel vines in the state are grown in Shenandoah Valley Wine Country.

lassow

lassow wrote:Can we get some cooperage stats? (new/old)

Please

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

How does this Zin compare to the OGP Zin that was on woot a few months ago? That Zin was terrific.

edit: And so was the Petite Sirah. And the Barbera.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11

I wish I knew more about Zin so I could write a decent review, but I really don't. Truth be told, this was the first Zin I have evered stumbled upon on wine.woot (I'm a newbie when it comes to wine, just now feeling out my personal tastes, but I have wooted *alot* this year (something to the tune of 30 woots)).

I can say, however, CG Di Arie has been in my top 3 of all Woots wooted. I'm not going to say it's my favorite bottle of wine from here, but it's right up there-- given the price and quality.

I had all 3 of the CG Di Arie varietals when it was offered on Valentines day, and the Zin was, by far, the best of the 3. All were good, but this was GREAT. It just.. pops. Punches you in the face and you just know it's a great wine and you will enjoy it til the end.

I've been hoping this would show up again. I'm in for 2, without hesitation. Budget and frugality be damned-- this stuff is GREAT!

lassow

How did you come to develop Captain Crunch cereal(inspiration, flavors)? And did this in any way influence your wine making?

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
jaredmac11 wrote:I wish I knew more about Zin so I could write a decent review, but I really don't. Truth be told, this was the first Zin I have evered stumbled upon on wine.woot (I'm a newbie when it comes to wine, just now feeling out my personal tastes, but I have wooted *alot* this year (something to the tune of 30 woots)).

I can say, however, CG Di Arie has been in my top 3 of all Woots wooted. I'm not going to say it's my favorite bottle of wine from here, but it's right up there-- given the price and quality.

I had all 3 of the CG Di Arie varietals when it was offered on Valentines day, and the Zin was, by far, the best of the 3. All were good, but this was GREAT. It just.. pops. Punches you in the face and you just know it's a great wine and you will enjoy it til the end.

I've been hoping this would show up again. I'm in for 2, without hesitation. Budget and frugality be damned-- this stuff is GREAT!

For the record, this isn't the same Zin that was offered back in February. I agree that was a great Zin.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

mberke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mberke
lassow wrote:How did you come to develop Captain Crunch cereal(inspiration, flavors)? And did this in any way influence your wine making?

Yeah that's interesting. I sure hope not! I have not heard of this winery ... though it seems to have some nice reviews. However in the writing of the vintner's bio, I would not have gone on about how he "created" many so-called foods, all of which are highly processed. This kind of information does not inspire confidence in a wine, imho, which I hope is created without xanthan gum, mono- and di-glycerides or maltodextrin.
That being said, I hope to read more good reviews of the current offering.

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11
merbill wrote:For the record, this isn't the same Zin that was offered back in February. I agree that was a great Zin.

True, true-- it appears my excitement overcame me; but I really enjoyed all the wines that came from that offering. Perhaps I gushed too much (It really was very good) but I have a lot of faith in this particular wine, given all 3 of the last offering were so tasty.

lassow

mberke wrote:Yeah that's interesting. I sure hope not! I have not heard of this winery ... though it seems to have some nice reviews. However in the writing of the vintner's bio, I would not have gone on about how he "created" many so-called foods, all of which are highly processed. This kind of information does not inspire confidence in a wine, imho, which I hope is created without xanthan gum, mono- and di-glycerides or maltodextrin.
That being said, I hope to read more good reviews of the current offering.

Don't you enjoy a good xanthan gum finish in a glass of red? ;)

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
Cesare wrote:
See this wine tasted in the Gary V tasting video

That's Gary V A Y - N E R - C H U K !!!!

Gary's cereal/wine pairing video is a classic, love that guy!

You can certainly tell that Mr. Gur-Arieh's passion in life is wine making from the video, he really lights up when speaking about starting his winery.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

What's the drinking age on these?

Very interested in these, especially after my 4-pack of Sola Winery Napa Valley Zinfandel cooked on it's way from Napa to New Jersey and back to NorCal during the blazing hot summer (I thought it shipped directly from the winery!). Now I'm low on Zin!

Tassadar2k03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tassadar2k03

sounds yummy

ojiikun

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ojiikun

Can't resist. The last CGDA offering was one of the best wine.woot surprises of the year. I will happily report on the quality of this stuff within 12 hours of when it shows up, because I'm not waiting a single moment more to drink one!

kennyg1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kennyg1

[quote postid="4586846" user="bsevern"]What's the drinking age on these?

I believe it is 21 in all states.

debchan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages debchan

I shouldn't have read the write up while eating breakfast.

cgdiarie

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cgdiarie
lassow wrote:Please

I normally use 20% new oak, 20% one year old, 20% 2 years old, etc. In this vintage the new oak was mainly French, with a barrel or two of American oak. I racked this wine every three months and after having racked it three times transferred it to neutral oak.

cgdiarie

lassow wrote:How did you come to develop Captain Crunch cereal(inspiration, flavors)? And did this in any way influence your wine making?

Cap'n Crunch was serendipity. I just was in the right place at the right time. Getting into wine was not. I desired it, longed for it, planned it and finally it happened. In making wine, like creating a new product, you need to pay attention to the details and combine science with intuition or some people call it art. With just science you can create a flawless, generic wine. Believe me great wines are not created by accident. It's always hard work.

kerker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerker

Sounds interesting. I'm in for one.

cgdiarie

lassow wrote:I know that Primitivo and Zinfandel are different varietals(but similar, no?) but exactly how are the two different in this wine?

Actually, Zinfandel and Primitivo have the same roots, originating in Coatia. It migrated to Italy, to the Apulia region and assumed the name Primitivo. Independantly, it came to the US and became to be known as Zinfandel. After 200 years of separation, obviously they are different. I find Zin to be lighter in color, larger and tighter clusters and larger berries. My Primitivos are usually fruitier and the Zins are spicier. Zin and Primitivo are two clones of the same variety.

cgdiarie

I am in Chicago working the market. I need to check out for a while. Will be coming back home tonight and will continue taking part in the discussion. Have a great one!

alywa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alywa

I'd love to try this, but the lack of shipping to TN is preventing me from ordering. It is now legal to ship to TN, you know! (I think you need to buy a permit, but I'm under the impression it isn't very expensive). I've seen a lot of wine wooters from TN over the past few months for the wineries that do ship here.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
cgdiarie wrote:Cap'n Crunch was serendipity. I just was in the right place at the right time. Getting into wine was not. I desired it, longed for it, planned it and finally it happened. In making wine, like creating a new product, you need to pay attention to the details and combine science with intuition or some people call it art. With just science you can create a flawless, generic wine. Believe me great wines are not created by accident. It's always hard work.

WELL STATED!!!!

robble

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robble

I was a lab rat for this Zin - I enjoyed drinking it with my wife along with some grilled fillets and sweet potatoes. They went very well together (maybe not like GG Allin and Marilyn Manson - but more like Snoopy and Woodstock). The first sip is juicy goodness. As the wine has time to breathe, it developed some more character. The label talks about Blackberries, Black Cherry, mocha finish and hints of black pepper. I can't say that I am sophisticated enough to taste all of that. I just tasted a really good Zin. It is a nice bottle to share over a relaxing meal together. The Oak blended in well (I am not normally big on heavy oak and did not taste the oak here). I think that it is priced very well.

Rob Rubin

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

Please excuse the off-topic post and what will seem like a suspicious request. Fedex is being impossible regarding redirecting shipments to one of their "hold at location" facilites. I'm being told that the way the wineries are specifying "Adult signature required" vs something like "Alcohol signature required" prevents the regional terminal from redirecting the package.

I know people here are having success doing this, so I'm pleading that if anyone successfully did this with the recent KR Esoterica Savignon Blanc that you PM me with the tracking number. I need the number as concrete proof that it is being done elsewhere.

Thank you

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
yorknh wrote:
I know people here are having success doing this, so I'm pleading that if anyone successfully did this with the recent KR Esoterica Savignon Blanc that you PM me with the tracking number. I need the number as concrete proof that it is being done elsewhere.

Thank you

could do that if I knew how...

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
rjquillin wrote:could do that if I knew how...

Duh, the envelope.

FedEx -can't- do it, you have to; online.

CT

lassow

cgdiarie wrote:Actually, Zinfandel and Primitivo have the same roots, originating in Coatia. It migrated to Italy, to the Apulia region and assumed the name Primitivo. Independantly, it came to the US and became to be known as Zinfandel. After 200 years of separation, obviously they are different. I find Zin to be lighter in color, larger and tighter clusters and larger berries. My Primitivos are usually fruitier and the Zins are spicier. Zin and Primitivo are two clones of the same variety.

Thanks! Will you ever bottle 100% Zinfandel and 100% Primitivo for the sake of comparison or do these particular grapes drink better with some blending, as demonstrated with this wine?

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

After reading this fascinating bit of vino-logical input:

klezman wrote:Best link I've seen in a long time: importance of wine swirling direction

Can the Winery tell us what the Magnetic Polarity of the wine cells in this offering are? And if they can, how about a recommendation on the best swirling direction?
Thanks!

edit:
Edit, edit: The new Kosher?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
yorknh wrote:Please excuse the off-topic post and what will seem like a suspicious request. Fedex is being impossible regarding redirecting shipments to one of their "hold at location" facilites. I'm being told that the way the wineries are specifying "Adult signature required" vs something like "Alcohol signature required" prevents the regional terminal from redirecting the package.

Thank you

Are you attempting to redrect via the online tracking? That's how I've done it with more than two dozen wine shipments. It's automated so there doesn't seem to be any mis-informed Fed-Ex employee to intervene. I can give you a tracking number but I didn't buy the KR Sav Blanc. I have numerous other wine woots tackings I could pass along though.

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

We were in Reno for ten days at the beginning of July and we took a day trip to Amador, where we visited the Di Arie tasting room (as well as the Dillian winery and the Jeff Runquist tasting room). They were all wonderful, especially if you like zinfandel, and if anyone has the opportunity to visit what I call the "little" wine country, they should take advantage of it (the scenery driving through the Sierras was also breathtaking).

pkdj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pkdj
mrlbem wrote:We were in Reno for ten days at the beginning of July and we took a day trip to Amador, where we visited the Di Arie tasting room (as well as the Dillian winery and the Jeff Runquist tasting room). They were all wonderful, especially if you like zinfandel, and if anyone has the opportunity to visit what I call the "little" wine country, they should take advantage of it (the scenery driving through the Sierras was also breathtaking).

i was also at the same wineries you just mentioned in april, and i LOVE this wine making area. wonderful wines, and i don't recall having to pay any tasting fees, very nice. leaves more to spend on buying bottles to take home. btw, c.g. di arie was the last winery we went to that sunday, a great finish to a lovey afternoon.

mcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcgill

Those of us in California know C.G. DiArie very well. The wine comes from the Amador area and is at least equal to the Dry Creek area. The wine is medium bodied and goes well with red meat dinners. This producer is my favorite winery for zinfandels. I have been paying $24 a bottle plus tax so this is a good price. The 2004 Southern exposure is my favorite zinfandel of all time.

yorknh

rjquillin wrote:Duh, the envelope.

FedEx -can't- do it, you have to; online.

Apologies for what will likely be a double post - BTW only woot forums do that to me.

I can't do it online, I tried and the only option listed was the major facility in Portland, ME which is 55 miles away, despite the fact that there are several offices much closer, including one that is 15 miles away. When I couldn't do it on the web I spoke to numerous intellectually challenged people at Fedex corporate, via phone and email, that all told me I couldn't do it, but they couldn't give me a reason why.

I finally got in touch with a manager at the Portland Facility that told me it had something to do with how the shippers were specifying signature requirements. Apparently there are several variations each with their own rules and clearly not everyone at Fedex is in agreement.

yorknh

scott0210 wrote: I have numerous other wine woots tackings I could pass along though.

Thanks, but no. Thanks to others that did. I passed the info on which was greeted with "well that wasn't destined for NH, I need one destined for NH" :rolleyes

mursecrna

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mursecrna
yorknh wrote:Thanks, but no. Thanks to others that did. I passed the info on which was greeted with "well that wasn't destined for NH, I need one destined for NH" :rolleyes

I'm jumping in late here.... Are you having trouble getting Fed ex to hold the shipment at a local Fed Ex location instead of deliver to your residence / business address? I have done it with several woots here in NH and I have used the links thru Fed Ex tracking website to do it. As long as I have done it before it was on the local delivery truck, it has been taken care of no problem.

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1

C.G. Di Arie 2006 Zinfandel Shenandoah Valley - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: lakero
Speed to first woot: 5m 31.157s
Last wooter to woot: stormn1

Always in for a good zinfandel. Heck, sometimes even in for a mediocre one.