CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

For the weekend of May 18-20, Wynn is having a special for $149 per night. for a total of $334. Not sure if that's a good price but figured it doesn't hurt to mention it for some people.
Wynn Website. The promo code is THRILL11.

And you get Two tickets to La Reve, Two tickets to a breakfast or lunch buffet at "The Buffet"

By the way, the room is the Encore Resort Suite King.

Edit: Apparently the buffet is not available on Saturday or Sunday.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I am staying at Harrahs for the bottling. $140 total for 3 nights.

Is anyone interested in doing Fogo de Chao for dinner either Fri or Sun night?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Imagine4vr wrote:I am staying at Harrahs for the bottling. $140 total for 3 nights.

Heck YES!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
Imagine4vr wrote:I am staying at Harrahs for the bottling. $140 total for 3 nights.

seeing how this is my first bottling... everyone will have to fill me in on what to expect.... what is this dinner you speak of? Food is always a good thing!!!! (just not super pricy food, I still have kids to take care of )

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mommadeb1 wrote:seeing how this is my first bottling... everyone will have to fill me in on what to expect.... what is this dinner you speak of? Food is always a good thing!!!! (just not super pricy food, I still have kids to take care of )

Dinner is that thing that you eat in the evening, usually after having lunch earlier in the day. And when you are away on vacation, most times dinner is done at a restaurant or such place. And when you are on vacation with friends (or those strange internet people you are meeting for the first time ), you often go out to dinner together.

Anyways, back to seriousness, I would assume the bottling would be Saturday morning again as in past years. If we do similar activities, most of us will then head to Red Rock for some fun bowling and hanging out. Then we head back to Sanity's house where she typically enjoys stuffing our faces with food (last year she had it catered, previous year she cooked for us...both times I believe we all chipped in to help cover costs). So whatever nights you end up staying in Vegas, food will be needed. The place mentioned (if you google it) is a Churrascaria and costs $46.50 (plus tax/tip) for an endless supply of MEAT (and salad bar).

Cat & I both won't be getting into Vegas until like 8:30 Friday night, so dinner out that night won't be doable for us. And I assume Saturday night will be the dinner at Sanity's. We'll be in Vegas for both Sun & Mon night, so if people wanna do Fogo de Chao on Sunday night I believe we should be able to join in.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Dinner is that thing that you eat in the evening, usually after having lunch earlier in the day.

ha ha ha thanks for splaining!!!!

I just need to know approx. how much this weekend is going to "cost" me.... so dear hubby doesn't freak when we get there.
I haven't figured out how long we are staying. I am thinking getting in friday and leaving monday.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

edit: I type slow and see HAK explained it, too!

mommadeb1 wrote:seeing how this is my first bottling... everyone will have to fill me in on what to expect.... what is this dinner you speak of? Food is always a good thing!!!! (just not super pricy food, I still have kids to take care of )

Many of the attendees arrive Friday and leave Sunday or Monday. So, whomever is here get's together for dinner Friday, and breakfast and/or dinner on Sunday. The place imagine mentioned is a Brazilian steakhouse, a churrascaria; dinner is a flat rate, and the servers come around with big hunks of grilled meat from which to choose.

At some point we make it out to Hash House, most likely at M Resort, for a meal.

Saturday morning is the bottling. I bring nibbles and some wine to share. Sometimes there is bowling (Yes, we have matching shirts with our screen names), and/or a hike at Red Rock, or gambling, etc during the day. The tasting and dinner (that's where the lamb comes in) is held at my home about 15-20 minutes from the strip, unless the group decides they'd like to do it differently. The nice thing about having it at my home is we can spend the time we want, not constrained by a restaurant's policies, it's more comfortable, etc.

Everyone has time to do their own thing during the weekend, and not everyone attends every event. I thought I would do the cooking this year for the tasting. It was nice to have someone else do it last year, but the costs here in Vegas for home catering are expensive, and you don't get as much value for your dollar as you might elsewhere. I have checked out many, many caterers here, and they all offer about the same amount of food for the same price.

I'll be updating the first post of this thread with more info as we get closer to May. Also, check out the links in that first post to the other tastings we've done.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:edit: I type slow and see HAK explained it, too!

Thanks, I know I am asking tons of questions... just like to be prepared... for your house, I am all for contributing $ . we won't have a car, but am assuming can get there by taxi? or do we need to plan on getting a car to get to all events? Sounds like you do a BUNCH!! thanks in advance!!

Imagine4vr

mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks, I know I am asking tons of questions... just like to be prepared... for your house, I am all for contributing $ . we won't have a car, but am assuming can get there by taxi? or do we need to plan on getting a car to get to all events? Sounds like you do a BUNCH!! thanks in advance!!

I think there will be enough of us with a car to get you around, so I don't really think it will be necessary if you don't want the added expense.

edit: my experience renting cars in Vegas is that they are quite cheap compared with the cost of a taxi.

Imagine4vr

MarkDaSpark wrote:Heck YES!

I knew you would say that! When I mentioned it to sanity this weekend, I said Mark will LOVE that idea

mommadeb1

Imagine4vr wrote:I think there will be enough of us with a car to get you around, so I don't really think it will be necessary if you don't want the added expense.

edit: my experience renting cars in Vegas is that they are quite cheap compared with the cost of a taxi.

thanks. I will talk over with hubby and see wht he wants to do.

mommadeb1

Imagine4vr wrote:I think there will be enough of us with a car to get you around, so I don't really think it will be necessary if you don't want the added expense.

thanks. I will talk over with hubby and see wht he wants to do.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Basically let me know what you might need, and I'll find out a cost.

Friday and Saturday of bottling weekend?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

sanity wrote:(that's where the lamb comes in)

This is the part that most stands out for me. Yum! Oh, and assuming I'm coming I am more than happy to help out in the cooking if you desire assistance.

What would be the benefit of staying Sunday night vs heading out on a late flight after dinner? I'll likely be coming from LA at that point, so there's also the possibility of driving.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
klezman wrote:This is the part that most stands out for me. Yum! Oh, and assuming I'm coming I am more than happy to help out in the cooking if you desire assistance.

What would be the benefit of staying Sunday night vs heading out on a late flight after dinner? I'll likely be coming from LA at that point, so there's also the possibility of driving.

If you enjoy Vegas, Sunday actually gives you time to. There's generally stuff planned Fri. night through breakfast Sun. even though it's optional.

CT

tenuki

Imagine4vr wrote:I knew you would say that! When I mentioned it to sanity this weekend, I said Mark will LOVE that idea

If I'm around I'm in but chances are I'd miss it.

CT

tenuki

mommadeb1 wrote:thanks. I will talk over with hubby and see wht he wants to do.

Yeah, if you're the type to decline all the coverage rentals push at you, renting a car can be as cheap as $50-60, and cab ride to and from airport would cost you a good portion of that. They're tricky about their phrasing too, like if you decline the full protection they'll say so just the minimum, meaning their minimum coverage, not no coverage. Just doing their job but I hate them

That said, I'm sure we can ferry you around to most events.

CT

Imagine4vr

tenuki wrote:If I'm around I'm in but chances are I'd miss it.

And we would miss you.

tenuki

Imagine4vr wrote:And we would miss you.

Ah, I mean dinner, I generally come in late Friday and leave Sunday. I'll try to be there that weekend for bottling.

Actually was funny, was talking to my brother yesterday and he was like hey, I'll be in Vegas in Feb. I haven't seen him in a couple years so should go out there but man, I have enough problems with planned Vegas trips, let alone surprise ones.

CT

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:Yeah, if you're the type to decline all the coverage rentals push at you, renting a car can be as cheap as $50-60, and cab ride to and from airport would cost you a good portion of that. They're tricky about their phrasing too, like if you decline the full protection they'll say so just the minimum, meaning their minimum coverage, not no coverage. Just doing their job but I hate them

That said, I'm sure we can ferry you around to most events.

Thanks... I hate to impose on people.. will check when we get closer.....

mommadeb1

klezman wrote:This is the part that most stands out for me. Yum! Oh, and assuming I'm coming I am more than happy to help out in the cooking if you desire assistance.

Count me in also for any help with cooking/prep work!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
klezman wrote:Friday and Saturday of bottling weekend?

HAK, ditto that for me

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Ok, here's the scoop on the Desert Club Suites:
All these costs are flat rate, no extra taxes.

For 1BR Fri/Sat night, the cost would be $300.
For 1BR Fri/Sat/Sun night, the cost would be $360
For 2BR Fri/Sat night, the cost would be $470 (ie. $235 per couple).

EDIT: Just found out that there may be a $50 reservation fee for booking, so once my mom is able to get confirmation (she was originally told no, but website shows there is) I'll update.

If two couples want to share the 2 bedroom unit, both bedrooms do come with King beds. The rooms share the same living room (which also have Queen size pull out couch), dining room, kitchen. Obviously, it's a good amount cheaper to share the common area.
Anyone that wants to share a 1BR with others and use the Queen pull out couch, that's doable too. Ya'll can just discuss that amongst yourselves.
The resort has free WiFi, so that's one thing you wouldn't have to calculate for paying for at some other hotels. They don't have their own shuttle to the airports, but they say it's usually about $7/person. They do have a free shuttle to the strip (if you don't want to walk the two blocks to it). And if you're driving, there's parking spaces right in front of each unit from what I can see.

Myself & Cat are staying 4 nights, so those of you who would need to be checking out Sunday morning can just move all your stuff to our living room so you can stick around for stuff during the day.
There's also a possibility of sharing a 2BR with us (even if you only stay 3 nights), but that can be discussed separately if anyone were actually interested.

Basically the thing to remember is that this is a resort, not just a simple hotel room. So if you're just looking for a cheap hotel room, this isn't for you. But if you want some of the extras of what would be in a high priced hotel suite (with even more extras than that) for a medium price, then this is about as good as you can get.

Any other questions, just let me know.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Resort info

Also, it should be noted that there are like 5 pools and hot tubs + a hot tub in the fitness center.

It should also be noted that I fully intend to find a grocery nearby to get some kitchen items like milk, OJ, tea, bread, eggs for breakfast options and would be willing to share. If we do Fogo on Sunday, a lighter, home cooked breakfast will probably be welcome. To that extent I would beg/suggest that we not do Hash House and Fogo back to back (i.e. if Fogo is Friday, HH should be Sunday. If Fogo is Sunday, HH should be Saturday).

Furthermore, it is always awesome to have a group of us take over somewhere. And on top of that, we'll be getting a car and will be happy to shuttle.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman

cheron98 wrote:more resort info

I am interested in sharing with somebody to keep the costs down (which thereby increases the likelihood of convincing molarchae to come also). I am going to send her the info and see what she has to say.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
klezman wrote:I am interested in sharing with somebody to keep the costs down (which thereby increases the likelihood of convincing molarchae to come also). I am going to send her the info and see what she has to say.

I'd share, but I'm still not sure what's going on. For me, it's definitely going to be a last minute decision. I really really want to go to the bottling too.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

love to go to the bottling again...
especially since i missed out on the last second vegas drinking event last week...!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

MarkDaSpark

sukeiasa wrote:love to go to the bottling again...
especially since i missed out on the last second vegas drinking event last week...!

Umm, it wasn't last second. They mentioned it last month, at least.

Edit: Yep. Post confirming the date.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sukeiasa

blech... i'm just mad because i was sober when they posted pictures on facebook... :P

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

tenuki

sukeiasa wrote:blech... i'm just mad because i was sober when they posted pictures on facebook... :P

And we felt so sorry for you as you were also running around Taiwan at the time Man I miss the street food there.

CT

sukeiasa

ha...
the taiwan leg of my trip was fueled by whisky...
the hk leg, on the other hand, had plenty of interesting wines... (and some whisky)

sanity

tenuki wrote:And we felt so sorry for you as you were also running around Taiwan at the time Man I miss the street food there.

speaking of street food.....I've had some of the best food ever, from street vendors, while traveling. Have you been to Susan Feniger's place in LA called Street? That's been on my list for awhile.

tenuki

sanity wrote:speaking of street food.....I've had some of the best food ever, from street vendors, while traveling. Have you been to Susan Feniger's place in LA called Street? That's been on my list for awhile.

Nope, not sure I've tried la street food, don't get down there often and when I do it's like w.w gathering or lobster festival

CT

cheron98

So I have some wine to be delivered in Vegas. From Twisted Oak, of course. The 2009 Parcel 17 futures order still has not yet been released, but I expect it to prior to Vegas. I'm waiting to hear back from Jeff as to the when.

sanity - might I be able to have this shipped to you, so as to reduce my checked bags? I already have a full case heading down there with me (or HAK, most likely him though) and there's 6 bottles of the Parcel outstanding.

I have a number of bottles for CA peoples. Sparky, would you be so kind as to collect the bottles for merbill and JOATMON? klez & CAGrl - are you planning on being there for bottling?

tenuki - 6 bottles
klezman - 4 bottles
JOATMON - 1 bottle
merbill - 3 bottles
CAGrl - 3 bottles

klezman

cheron98 wrote:klez & CAGrl - are you planning on being there for bottling?

I'm currently planning on it, but I'll be living in LA 75% of the time by then. Which also reminds me - I've got 3 bottles of Pig Stai for Sparky. Can swap those at D&D, I think.

sanity

Cat, you are welcome to ship what ever you need here. I promise not to open it. (;
Do you still need my mailbox center address? If so, I'll email it to you.

Everyone else same applies.

I'll start the bottling thread late tonight. I have several ideas for the tasting, so time to start planning!
edit:OK, so not late tonight. Tomorrow is another day.

cheron98

sanity wrote:Cat, you are welcome to ship what ever you need here. I promise not to open it. (;
Do you still need my mailbox center address? If so, I'll email it to you.

Yes, please, and thank you. Jeff is unsure if they plan to bottle and release in March or May. Hoping it's March!

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:So I have some wine to be delivered in Vegas. From Twisted Oak, of course. The 2009 Parcel 17 futures order still has not yet been released, but I expect it to prior to Vegas. I'm waiting to hear back from Jeff as to the when.

sanity - might I be able to have this shipped to you, so as to reduce my checked bags? I already have a full case heading down there with me (or HAK, most likely him though) and there's 6 bottles of the Parcel outstanding.

I have a number of bottles for CA peoples. Sparky, would you be so kind as to collect the bottles for merbill and JOATMON? klez & CAGrl - are you planning on being there for bottling?

tenuki - 6 bottles
klezman - 4 bottles
JOATMON - 1 bottle
merbill - 3 bottles
CAGrl - 3 bottles

No problem, except Joat is up by tenuki & klez.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:No problem, except Joat is up by tenuki & klez.

For some reason I thought he was closer to you... maybe I'll foist his bottle on tenuki or klez then

tenuki

cheron98 wrote:For some reason I thought he was closer to you... maybe I'll foist his bottle on tenuki or klez then

Joat? Yeah, he's technically closer to me but tourists are more likely to see him. Last time I held his wines it was like two years and even then it might have been when we crashed the tour that I found him.

CT