mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
sanity wrote:yikes, I re-read my post...I should have written "I get to...." do all that stuff. It's a fun atmosphere at the winery during this time!

I'm glad it's fun.... but I still want you to know that I appreciate you doing the work!!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Charlie just called, and crush will be delayed a few days, into the following week from what was originally planned. ):

We will be doing crush sometime between Monday 10/24 and Friday 10/28. Even mr sanity won't be able to make it.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:Charlie just called, and crush will be delayed a few days, into the following week from what was originally planned. ):

We will be doing crush sometime between Monday 10/24 and Friday 10/28. Even mr sanity won't be able to make it.

What caused the delay?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
sanity wrote:Charlie just called, and crush will be delayed a few days, into the following week from what was originally planned. ):

Hmm, that'd fit more into my making the later weekend, though I don't know if I'd actually take the day off to get into Vegas in time for crush. Would you also be able to do port weekend of 28th? It's funny, I got home today, and started looking through my deals to see if there might be another cheap weekend for me

CT

sanity

mommadeb1 wrote:What caused the delay?

I have no idea. It could be a number of things. All of our fruit is late ripening, and he is concerned it won't be here before 10/22.

sanity

tenuki wrote:Hmm, that'd fit more into my making the later weekend, though I don't know if I'd actually take the day off to get into Vegas in time for crush. Would you also be able to do port weekend of 28th? It's funny, I got home today, and started looking through my deals to see if there might be another cheap weekend for me

Of course! I'll check with T (biker T), too, since she really wanted to join us for that. That Weekend won't be cheap, though. The following weekend is much less expensive here.

tenuki

sanity wrote:Of course! I'll check with T (biker T), too, since she really wanted to join us for that. That Weekend won't be cheap, though. The following weekend is much less expensive here.

Yeah, but I could also catch my friends curling. The hotel I can do decent on, not sure on flights yet.

CT

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
sanity wrote:Of course! I'll check with T (biker T), too, since she really wanted to join us for that. That Weekend won't be cheap, though. The following weekend is much less expensive here.

I would be sad if you did the port tasting this month, I've been looking forward to it for the past year! No way I'll be able to travel in the next month, money is too tight right now

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:I would be sad if you did the port tasting this month, I've been looking forward to it for the past year! No way I'll be able to travel in the next month, money is too tight right now

Sorry, yes, I would like to wait for you to come, too.

tenuki, are you still coming out to get together with your friends? I still have the wine-blending kit, we could build a tasting around that and bring our favorite blends.

mommadeb1

Now that crush will be a couple of days later... keep me posted on actual day... I might be able to make it.....

sanity

mommadeb1 wrote:Now that crush will be a couple of days later... keep me posted on actual day... I might be able to make it.....

will do.

tenuki

sanity wrote:Sorry, yes, I would like to wait for you to come, too.

tenuki, are you still coming out to get together with your friends? I still have the wine-blending kit, we could build a tasting around that and bring our favorite blends.

The curling ones? Unclear, but not sure they'd be interested in joining anything anyway. It's a sport where drinking beer afterward is almost as much a part of the match as the game itself, so I'm not planning anything around them

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
tenuki wrote:Yeah, but I could also catch my friends curling. The hotel I can do decent on, not sure on flights yet.

Curling? Are they from Canada?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tenuki

bahwm wrote:Curling? Are they from Canada?

No, just some friends that got into it after Olympics.

CT

tenuki

Hmm, also looking at going up Dec. 8th-11th to watch a pool tournament, would be much cheaper than current halloween weekend.

CT

sanity

tenuki wrote:Hmm, also looking at going up Dec. 8th-11th to watch a pool tournament, would be much cheaper than current halloween weekend.

Maybe we could do the port tasting then? imagine4ver, are you available then, or is after the first of the year better for you?

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Maybe we could do the port tasting then? imagine4ver, are you available then, or is after the first of the year better for you?

All depends on business - but I was kind of hoping for Jan 7, it's my bday weekend and I want to head up there to celebrate

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Any updates????

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Any updates????

Not sure if we're doing anything w.w-wise but it's looking definite I'll be in town that weekend in December. Haven't talked to pool friends that wanted to go yet, they'd probably do Thu. Dec. 8th-11th, and Seattle friend and one of his friends is doing 10th-13th, so I'm thinking about splitting the difference and doing 9th-12th. Kinda depends how I embarrassed I feel about asking for more days off to go to Vegas :P

CT

sanity

I'll chime in later today with an update. Maybe Friday the 28th around 3.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Not sure if we're doing anything w.w-wise but it's looking definite I'll be in town that weekend in December. Haven't talked to pool friends that wanted to go yet, they'd probably do Thu. Dec. 8th-11th, and Seattle friend and one of his friends is doing 10th-13th, so I'm thinking about splitting the difference and doing 9th-12th. Kinda depends how I embarrassed I feel about asking for more days off to go to Vegas :P

We'll also be in Vegas that weekend for my nephew & BiL's birthday celebrations. But we're all leaving on the 11th.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:I'll chime in later today with an update. Maybe Friday the 28th around 3.

Hmmmm ...

sanity

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmmm ...

Come join us!

Crush is confirmed: Friday, 10/28 at 3 pm.

Drinks, then dinner after, maybe DW Bistro, Todd's or.....? Open to suggestions.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:We'll also be in Vegas that weekend for my nephew & BiL's birthday celebrations. But we're all leaving on the 11th.

Family vacation in Vegas would be interesting Would be up for a meal though looks like pool runs from 11-4 so will have to see what I'm attending.

CT

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Come join us!

Drinks, then dinner after, maybe DW Bistro, Todd's or.....? Open to suggestions.

Would love to, but already have plans for that night.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Would love to join you, but can't do another weekend away. We're both worn out from all the travel this month, and grades are due in next week. Have fun, and thanks for taking care of this.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1

Bummer, I have to work.... oh well, Thanks for doing this... Let me know about when bottling will be so I can be sure to take off!!!

sanity

Hold the Presses! Or in our case, Crush.....

The Syrah has not yet arrived, due this weekend.

Crush will be Monday.

We still gotta eat, so we are keeping the dinner plans for DW Bistro.

sanity

We crushed our grapes today. 4 of us were on hand.

The syrah grapes tasted like syrah; lots of flavor. The viognier was meh; very mixed in the taste of the fruit from one cluster to the next. Remember we used 1 box. The fruit that did taste good was a little earthy, floral, and had nice flavor. The mourvedre had much less flavor than the syrah, a little earthiness to it (hey cj, the wheels are turning to do a mourvedre/viognier blend with a little something thrown in for balance). The mourvedre had a beautiful color.

The juice mixed together tasted wonderful; very flavorful and fruity. One person thought it was sweet; I did not.

OK, the number you've been waiting for: the brix was about 24.75, much lower than our previous 2 outings.

I'll report back this week as we plunge the must. Monday we do the press.

edit: Oh, and to celebrate, we opened a bottle of vinito del finito. That is seriously yummy stuff. I'm not a dessert wine fan; this is sweet, definitely, but has a wonderful zin flavor.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Awesome, thanks sanity! The VdF is tasty stuff, and drinking it at the source with fellow wooters a few weeks ago was excellent.

24.75 Brix -> 13% alcohol or so, which I like!

What's this about a Mourvedre/Viognier blend??

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sanity

klezman wrote:Awesome, thanks sanity! The VdF is tasty stuff, and drinking it at the source with fellow wooters a few weeks ago was excellent.

24.75 Brix -> 13% alcohol or so, which I like!

What's this about a Mourvedre/Viognier blend??

VdF? OK, I'll go search...

I tasted the two grapes together, (and all 3 together and separately) and really got to thinking about a mourvedre-centric wine. My interest is really piqued. I know cj likes mourvedre, too. It might be an expensive experiment. (;

duh, vinito del finito!

klezman

sanity wrote:VdF? OK, I'll go search...

I tasted the two grapes together, (and all 3 together and separately) and really got to thinking about a mouvedre-centric wine. My interest is really piqued. I know cj likes mouvedre, too. It might be an expensive experiment. (;

duh, vinito del finito!

I was in for the Mourvedre at the start, so my interest is also piqued. Space/$ constraints may win out, but definitely would be happy to hear more.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sanity

klezman wrote:I was in for the Mourvedre at the start, so my interest is also piqued. Space/$ constraints may win out, but definitely would be happy to hear more.

Yes, with making wine, I'm leaning towards really experimenting next time, and willing to buy my own barrel, along with doing a more main stream group barrel. I'm going to be doing some research on the varietal.

...and thanks for correcting my spelling - something didn't look/sound right!

klezman

sanity wrote:Yes, with making wine, I'm leaning towards really experimenting next time, and willing to buy my own barrel, along with doing a more main stream group barrel. I'm going to be doing some research on the varietal.

...and thanks for correcting my spelling - something didn't look/sound right!

I didn't notice there was a spelling mistake until you pointed it out I think it's just all those years of French back in the motherland.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:VdF? OK, I'll go search...

I tasted the two grapes together, (and all 3 together and separately) and really got to thinking about a mourvedre-centric wine. My interest is really piqued. I know cj likes mourvedre, too. It might be an expensive experiment. (;

duh, vinito del finito!

experiment? let me know... I am always up for an adventure!!

Thanks for doing the crush.... really wish I could have been there!!!

sanity

tenuki, here's a dim sum place to visit on your next trip to Vegas...and maybe after bottling?

Dim Sum in Henderson.

tenuki

sanity wrote:tenuki, here's a dim sum place to visit on your next trip to Vegas...and maybe after bottling?

Dim Sum in Henderson.

Aww, I was thinking heart attack grill! . Thats a pretty yummy review, might have to check it out! Thanks for crushing too! You around weekend of dec. 9?

CT

sanity

tenuki wrote:Aww, I was thinking heart attack grill! . Thats a pretty yummy review, might have to check it out! Thanks for crushing too! You around weekend of dec. 9?

Well, I figured Heart Attack Grill was a given! It may make HH portions pale in comparison.

Yes, I'm around, I think I may have a dinner on the 10th. I'll know more this week.

klezman

tenuki wrote:Aww, I was thinking heart attack grill! . Thats a pretty yummy review, might have to check it out! Thanks for crushing too! You around weekend of dec. 9?

What are your preferred bay area dim sum places?

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Well, I figured Heart Attack Grill was a given! It may make HH portions pale in comparison.

Yes, I'm around, I think I may have a dinner on the 10th. I'll know more this week.

If Heart Attack Grill is anything like the one that was in Chandler, AZ, it's not so good and except for the kitsch factor, not really worth the $. Just my opinion.