+ Add a Comment

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

updated 11/28

The Crush and Press for CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #3 took place in late October and early November!

We chose Syrah 86%, Mourvedre 9.5%, Viognier 4.5%. All Suisun Valley Fruit. Brix was 24.75 at crush.

The flavor and aroma at crush were very pleasant, fruity without being sweet, the Syrah definitely prominent.

At press, our juice was one of the most aromatic, and the cake didn't taste nearly as astringent as the first year. The juice tasted very fruity, of course, more astringent but very pleasant.

Useful Links:
Grape Expectations Website
Pics of Crush and Bottling
Link for the Thread for the 1st Crush in October 2009
Link for the 2nd Crush in October 2010
Professional pics were taken at the awards dinner August 2011. Click on client proofs, and enter the pw, wine, which is also printed on that page.

Cost $10 bottle - PLUS shipping
Cases Available - 20 (21) total

Attendees
4 cases sanity & mr sanity PD
2 cases sanity's fun friends PD
1 case sanity's fun friend PD

Sponsors
1 case d-dog and bam PD
1 case Cat and Wendy PD
1/2 case HAK PD
1/2 case JOATMON PD
1/2 case tiger7610 PD
1 case cj PD
1/2 case polarbear22 PD
1 case Sparky PD
1/2 case mewalk707 PD
1/2 case klezman PD
1 case sukeiasa PD
1/2 case CAGirl PD
1 case mommadeb1 PD
1/2 case random122 PD
1/2 case sulakdd PD
1/2 case imagine4vr PD
1/2 case sanity's fun friend PD
1 case sanity's fun friend and friend's sis PD
1/2 case tenuki PD

Discuss below!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
sanity wrote:t's time to start planning for CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #3!

I'll be reporting back soon with what Charlie has to say about the current fruit/harvest.

I would like to do the crush earlier this year (depending upon mother nature).
One reason is that our fruit will spend less time in cold storge, and more time in the barrel. Also, with harvest maybe due a bit later this year,
that is even less time the fruit spends in storage.

October 1 or September 24 or .....?

Here's a partial list of varietals:
Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Gamay, Grenache, Merlot, Mouvedre, Muscat Canelli, Petite Sirah, Petite Verdot, Pinot Gris,
Pinot Noir, Primitivo, Rousanne, Sauvignon Blanc, Sangiovese, Shiraz, Viognier, White Riesling,and Zinfandel.

I'll be posting the usual links for travel, activities, etc.

Grape Expectations
Previous Threads
Cost
Cases

Your feedback is desired!

Discuss below.

Attendees

sanity
mr sanity

Sponsors

Regrets

Count us in for a case, regardless of the grapes selected. Can't say when we'll be available to help out, but I know for sure we have commitments in Buffalo on 9/24 and 10/1.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Sept 24 or Oct 1 are good with me - just not Oct 8 as that is Yom Kippur.

I'm in for 1/2 case.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Please put me down for a case which will likely be split with wendy if I'm still here in may, which at this rate, seems likely... pretty sure I won't make crush, though.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I wouldnt mind splitting a case with someone, probably wont make the crush though

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm in for 6 or 12, whatever the market bears.

SuperTuscan!!!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
sanity wrote:t's time to start planning for CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #3!

I'll be reporting back soon with what Charlie has to say about the current fruit/harvest.

One reason is that our fruit will spend less time in cold storge, and more time in the barrel. Also, with harvest maybe due a bit later this year,
that is even less time the fruit spends in storage.

Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Gamay, Grenache, Merlot, Mouvedre, Muscat Canelli, Petite Sirah, Petite Verdot, Pinot Gris,
Pinot Noir, Primitivo, Rousanne, Sauvignon Blanc, Sangiovese, Shiraz, Viognier, White Riesling,and Zinfandel.

Grape Expectations
Previous Threads
Cost
Cases

Discuss below.

Attendees

sanity
mr sanity

Sponsors

Regrets

Please count me in for 1/2 case. Judging from my previous behavior, I won't be able to make any of the events, though.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Ditto on Oct 8 for Yom Kippur, and Oct 1 could be tough due to Rosh Hashannah. I do want to make it out this time around, but this is also during the time when my job may be switching and all that jazz.

I'll go for 1/3 to 1/2 a case, whatever makes things work out. I still need to get mine from tenuki/mewalk/sparky from last year, too!

I'd say Sangiovese or Barbera. Italian varietals, ftw.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
klezman wrote:I'd say Sangiovese or Barbera. Italian varietals, ftw.

I'm assuming I won't be able to pass this up again either, so count me in for at least half a case. And I suppose I'll go the full case if no one wants to split a case with me.

I also like the idea of a Sangiovese as the primary grape.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Count me in for a case again. Unless it's sangio, then only 3 bottles.

Oct. 1st is out for me. Since I'm bottling my own Syrah then in Ventura. Everyone who comes by to help gets a bottle per couple.

And would like to see a Cab, PS, Syrah, Malbec combo. Or a PS and Petite Verdot combo.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Ditto on Oct 8 for Yom Kippur, and Oct 1 could be tough due to Rosh Hashannah. I do want to make it out this time around, but this is also during the time when my job may be switching and all that jazz.

I'll go for 1/3 to 1/2 a case, whatever makes things work out. I still need to get mine from tenuki/mewalk/sparky from last year, too!

I'd say Sangiovese or Barbera. Italian varietals, ftw.

Not me, unless you have a share in mewalk's case.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sanity

I've edited the first post to reflect current interest. Nothing is in stone; y'all may change your participation as needed until we are locked in to a blend and payment has been received.

I've put most of you in the sponsors list until a final date is selected.

I would like to keep participation to 1/2 or full case. Average shipping costs per case the last 2 years were app $30-$35 to western states and app $40-$45 elsewhere.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa
sanity wrote:It's time to start planning for CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #3!

One reason is that our fruit will spend less time in cold storage, and more time in the barrel. Also, with harvest maybe due a bit later this year, that is even less time the fruit spends in storage.

Grape Expectations
Previous Threads
Cost app $10 bottle
Cases Available

Attendees
1 case sanity
mr sanity
1/2 case imagine4vr
tenuki?

Sponsors
1 case d-dog and bam
1 case Cat and Wendy
1/2 case HAK
1/2 case JOATMON
1/2 case tiger7610
1/2 case cj
1 case Sparky
1/2 case klezman

Discuss below.

had a great time at bottling last time... count me in for 1 case!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

and this thread reminds me that i need to get virge on wine woot...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

ddeuddeg

sanity wrote:Average shipping costs per case the last 2 years were app $30-$35 to western states and app $40-$45 elsewhere.

Except for those of us who fly SWA and haul it home for free.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

sanity

I spoke to Charlie earlier in the week, and at this time he cannot promise fruit availability before mid-October give-or-take 5 days. He'll know btter next month. If some of you out-of-towners are considering coming out for this, let's work around your availability. I cannot do October 15th due to a longstanding commitment. I could do the 16th, or any other October dates.

I also have been doing research and spoke with Charlie about varietals. I was thinking about a blend of Syrah, Grenache, and maybe Mourvèdre; not a typical Chateauneuf blend which would have Grenache as the base fruit. My thinking, too, is these fruit are all late-ripening, which with our process is a plus. I would maybe like to add in Viognier, but not a whole case, unless we did a Syrah, Viognier blend, which I would love to do.

Suggestions:
16 boxes Syrah
2 or 3 boxes Grenache
1 or 2 boxes Mourvèdre
1 box Viognier

18 boxes Syrah
2 boxes Viognier

Please chime in!

sanity

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:I spoke to Charlie earlier in the week, and at this time he cannot promise fruit availability before mid-October give-or-take 5 days. He'll know btter next month. If some of you out-of-towners are considering coming out for this, let's work around your availability. I cannot do October 15th due to a longstanding commitment. I could do the 16th, or any other October dates.

I also have been doing research and spoke with Charlie about varietals. I was thinking about a blend of Syrah, Grenache, and maybe Mourvèdre; not a typical Chateauneuf blend which would have Grenache as the base fruit. My thinking, too, is these fruit are all late-ripening, which with our process is a plus. I would maybe like to add in Viognier, but not a whole case, unless we did a Syrah, Viognier blend, which I would love to do.

Suggestions:
16 boxes Syrah
2 or 3 boxes Grenache
1 or 2 boxes Mourvèdre
1 box Viognier

18 boxes Syrah
2 boxes Viognier

Please chime in!

Count me out on a GSM blend. Not my cup of tea. Although I might be persuaded to go in on a share of a 1/2 case with someone (i.e., 3 and 3 bottles or 2,2, and 2).

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Count me out on a GSM blend. Not my cup of tea. Although I might be persuaded to go in on a share of a 1/2 case with someone (i.e., 3 and 3 bottles or 2,2, and 2).

Actually, a GSM blend is one of my cups of tea. I like the versatility. But I'd favor a blend with a bit more of the Grenache and Mourvèdre components, rather than the Syrah-heavy blend sanity is suggesting.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'd be interested in 1/2 a case. Not sure about making it to the festivities though.

sanity

We are halfway to a complete barrel with the interest shown so far!

Payment to me will be due by August 31. I will pm each of you my paypal info, and will include both the fee non-fee amount depending upon your method of payment. A check is OK,too, but please get it in the mail so I receive it by August 31.

Remember, if you are purchasing less than 1/2 case, you need to work that out with your barrel buddy.

Also, if needed, I'll soon open this up to other outside interest to reach 20 cases.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
sanity wrote:We are halfway to a complete barrel with the interest shown so far!

Payment to me will be due by August 31. I will pm each of you my paypal info, and will include both the fee non-fee amount depending upon your method of payment. A check is OK,too, but please get it in the mail so I receive it by August 31.

Remember, if you are purchasing less than 1/2 case, you need to work that out with your barrel buddy.

Also, if needed, I'll soon open this up to other outside interest to reach 20 cases.

PM me your address and I will send it by mail. So will it be $10 per bottle?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Ok, I am a total newbie about this... can someone please fill me in? This sounds like something I would like...

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:Count me out on a GSM blend. Not my cup of tea. Although I might be persuaded to go in on a share of a 1/2 case with someone (i.e., 3 and 3 bottles or 2,2, and 2).

Count me out if it is GSM as well. I've been starting to realize that I just do not have much of a liking for Grenache.
Now there's always the possibility that ours might be one I like, but I certainly can't commit to a case (I'd probably barely want 1/2) of it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

klezman

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Count me out if it is GSM as well. I've been starting to realize that I just do not have much of a liking for Grenache.
Now there's always the possibility that ours might be one I like, but I certainly can't commit to a case (I'd probably barely want 1/2) of it.

Perhaps some sort of poll is needed? I'd get OK with a GSM blend, but not my top choice.

But HAK...you don't like Grenache? That's just odd

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, a GSM blend is one of my cups of tea. I like the versatility. But I'd favor a blend with a bit more of the Grenache and Mourvèdre components, rather than the Syrah-heavy blend sanity is suggesting.

Actually, I'd like to retract this comment. Having been reminded recently of my fondness for a nice Hermitage, and there was that nice mini-vertical of Astrale e Terra Syrah at Shakespeare a couple of weeks ago, I'd be perfectly happy with a predominantly Syrah blend. Maybe that will also make it a bit more palatable for HAK. as well.

cjsiege

I fully support a S-M-G (in that order). I really like the Blend 1 proposal. Can we up the M? And add more M? (Love me some Mourvedre!!!) And still keep the V in there, too!

klezman

cjsiege wrote:I fully support a S-M-G (in that order). I really like the Blend 1 proposal. Can we up the M? And add more M? (Love me some Mourvedre!!!) And still keep the V in there, too!

What about a Mourvedre-based blend? TO Parcel 17 is delicious, and that's a Mourvedre based blend also.

or a Syrah-Viognier co-ferment.

cjsiege

mommadeb1 wrote:Ok, I am a total newbie about this... can someone please fill me in? This sounds like something I would like...

Welcome. We're making wine. Literally. With the help of the Nevada School of Winemaking. They get us grapes. They help us with all of the processing. We make a barrel of wine. We all buy-in in 1/2 case increments. Normally, it works out to about $10/bottle, plus shipping. You are welcome to participate as much as you want in the winemaking process.

This will be our 3rd year.

mommadeb1

cjsiege wrote:Welcome. We're making wine. Literally. With the help of the Nevada School of Winemaking. They get us grapes. They help us with all of the processing. We make a barrel of wine. We all buy-in in 1/2 case increments. Normally, it works out to about $10/bottle, plus shipping. You are welcome to participate as much as you want in the winemaking process.

This will be our 3rd year.

Well, seeing how I am not close to Nevada....can I still participate? I see some mention bringing their wine home vie SWA. So does that mean some fly out and help or just pick up their wine? How close to Vegas would this be? I could convince my Hubby to take me to Vegas for pick up/helping.... This is something I would really like to do!!

Imagine4vr

mommadeb1 wrote:Well, seeing how I am not close to Nevada....can I still participate? I see some mention bringing their wine home vie SWA. So does that mean some fly out and help or just pick up their wine? How close to Vegas would this be? I could convince my Hubby to take me to Vegas for pick up/helping.... This is something I would really like to do!!

It's in Vegas - we do the crush in Oct and bottle in May. You can join in for both, for one, or just buy into the barrel and sanity will ship your bottles.

We're currently throwing dates around for the crush. (read previous posts in this thread). If you come for the bottling you will be able to bring your bottles home with you.

Hope you can join us!

mommadeb1

Imagine4vr wrote:It's in Vegas - we do the crush in Oct and bottle in May. You can join in for both, for one, or just buy into the barrel and sanity will ship your bottles.

We're currently throwing dates around for the crush. (read previous posts in this thread). If you come for the bottling you will be able to bring your bottles home with you.

Hope you can join us!

This sounds awesome!! some more questions for you..... what happens if I say I can make it but something comes up and I can't... Will that hinder your progress? How do we know if the wine will be to our liking? silly questions I know.. I would really love to do this.... what is involved with the crush and bottling... as in can anyone do it? no experience needed? Thanks for your patience..

mommadeb1

mommadeb1 wrote:This sounds awesome!! some more questions for you..... what happens if I say I can make it but something comes up and I can't... Will that hinder your progress? How do we know if the wine will be to our liking? silly questions I know.. I would really love to do this.... what is involved with the crush and bottling... as in can anyone do it? no experience needed? Thanks for your patience..

Ok, I'm in 1 way or another... If we do October the week of the 10th works best for me... If I can make it.... I will prob. do better to make it for the bottling in May... I am soo excited!!!!!

Imagine4vr

mommadeb1 wrote:This sounds awesome!! some more questions for you..... what happens if I say I can make it but something comes up and I can't... Will that hinder your progress? How do we know if the wine will be to our liking? silly questions I know.. I would really love to do this.... what is involved with the crush and bottling... as in can anyone do it? no experience needed? Thanks for your patience..

No experience necessary! They walk us through whatever we need to do. The only thing you need to commit to now is if you want a 1/2 case or full case of our wine. If you don't make it out for bottling, you can just arrange with sanity for shipping.

I guess we won't really know until bottling if we like it, but I think we are pretty happy with our first 2 ventures into making our own wine.

This is the thread for the last bottling

This is the tasting thread for our first barrel We won 3rd place in the wine comp for it!

Hope this answers your questions.

mommadeb1

Imagine4vr wrote:No experience necessary! They walk us through whatever we need to do. The only thing you need to commit to now is if you want a 1/2 case or full case of our wine. If you don't make it out for bottling, you can just arrange with sanity for shipping.

I guess we won't really know until bottling if we like it, but I think we are pretty happy with our first 2 ventures into making our own wine.

This is the thread for the last bottling

This is the tasting thread for our first barrel We won 3rd place in the wine comp for it!

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for the info and patience!! If I am going to do this might as well get a full case!!! I am giddy with joy at the moment and my family thinks I have totally lost it!!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I'm in for half case I think. Can grab a full one if you need to round out but ...

CT

cjsiege

If we are going with the Syrah as our base, I will up my buy-in to a full case. Unless we are at the tipping point to a second barrel.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:updated 8/10

It's time to start planning for CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #3!

One reason is that our fruit will spend less time in cold storage, and more time in the barrel. Also, with harvest maybe due a bit later this year, that is even less time the fruit spends in storage.

Grape Expectations
Previous Threads
Cost app $10 bottle
Cases Available

Attendees
1 case sanity & mr sanity
1/2 case imagine4vr
1/2 case sanity's fun friends
1/2 case sanity's other fun friends
1/2 case tenuki

Sponsors
1 case d-dog and bam
1 case Cat and Wendy
1/2 case HAK
1/2 case JOATMON
1/2 case tiger7610
1/2 case cj
1 case Sparky
1/2 case klezman
1 case sukeiasa
1/2 case CAGirl
1/2 case mommadeb1

Discuss below.

Put me in for a full case please...

sanity

mommadeb1, I've updated the first post with some useful links; more to come. Check out the Grape Expectations website. We would love to have you join us for any of the steps in the process!

cj and imagine, thanks for chiming in!

I'm really interested in the Syrah and viognier blend, or the SMGV, keeping the grenache to 1 or 2 boxes, or just doing SMV. I'm not interested in a cab blend, but if the majority want a cab blend, I'll go along with it.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:mommadeb1, I've updated the first post with some useful links; more to come. Check out the Grape Expectations website. We would love to have you join us for any of the steps in the process!

cj and imagine, thanks for chiming in!

I'm really interested in the Syrah and viognier blend, or the SMGV, keeping the grenache to 1 or 2 boxes, or just doing SMV. I'm not interested in a cab blend, but if the majority want a cab blend, I'll go along with it.

Thanks! As soon as the crush date is decided, I should have a better idea. Can I tell you last min. if I can make it?