Winery website
Kiss Ridge website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman

Mmmmmm sounds tasty!

someone buy 1 and invite me over =P

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

I want this. Really bad. Anyone around Boulder care to share?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Seeing this price per bottle elsewhere online. SO debating this one, anyone tried it?

lassow

This would probably be excellent now, a year from now, and 2 years from now. Probably more than that...

n44nc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages n44nc

This might be my first "Black Tie" buy!

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

lassow

Is there any relation to this wine... 2004 TNT Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Kiss Ridge

A CT user by the name Richard Jennings gave that one a friendly rating, and it looks like a mighty similar wine to this offer.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jmdavidson
Speed to first woot: 11m 15.800s
Last wooter to woot: jmdavidson

OK, I got it rolling. Anyone else want to jump in? Does this qualify me for lab ratting?

Illinois is lighting it up!

lyonsge

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lyonsge
lassow wrote:I want this. Really bad. Anyone around Boulder care to share?

Cheers to a fellow Coloradan - Douglas County here, so sadly a bit too far from Boulder to share

What is a "Black Tie Buy" exactly?

greyday

lyonsge wrote:
What is a "Black Tie Buy" exactly?

Look in the lower left corner of the item pic. There's a monkey in a black tie!

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare
lassow wrote:Is there any relation to this wine... 2004 TNT Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Kiss Ridge

A CT user by the name Richard Jennings gave that one a friendly rating, and it looks like a mighty similar wine to this offer.

It's the same. See here.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jmdavidson

From the Kiss Ridge website:

2004 Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaker’s Notes : This wine is extraordinary and promises to age brilliantly. It has a huge nose of big spice and black currant and dark cherries. On the palate, these elements carry forward along with plum, coffee and earth, all surrounded by toasty, French oak. The finish is silky and protracted. This wine is a great expression of an excellent vintage.

Winemaking : The grapes were harvested by hand on October 1, 2004. Fermentation began with 18% whole berries and lasted 12 days: then the wine went through extended post fermentation maceration for another 90 days to help soften the tannins and help create a wonderfully complex wine. The wine experienced 28 months of aging in oak: mixed new and one-year old French with a small amount of Hungarian barrels. Bottled on May 18, 2007 the wine has since been aging in the bottle, allowing the wine to rest and develop more fully.

Technical Notes:
Varietals: 95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc,
2% Merlot, 1% Petit Verdot
Alcohol: 14.5%
Production: 615 cases-mainly 750s, numbered rear labels by bottle.
Appellation: Diamond Mountain, Napa Valley
Harvest Date: October 1, 2004
Brix at Harvest: 25.3
pH: 3.61
TA: .409
Barrel Aging: 28 months in 88% French, 12% Hungarian, mixed new and one-year old oak barrels.
Bottling Dates: May 18, 2007

Wine searcher also has this for $74 to $92.

lyonsge

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lyonsge
greyday wrote:Look in the lower left corner of the item pic. There's a monkey in a black tie!

Indeed, and while I was sufficiently up to speed to make out what the snail with a rocket up his rear and the dancing pope hat meant in the past, I'm at a loss regarding the monkey in a monkey suit.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that, much like NBC sitcoms of the '80s and '90s, this is a "very special" offering (but without the schmaltzy moral message at the end)?

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

hang tight, Lucas Meeker just arrived home to Sonoma County today after a vaca in Japan. He'll pipe in as soon as he can shake some jet-lag away!

WineDavid was my Boss!

greyday

Ok, FINE woot. In for one.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This is the type of offering that I love WW for!!!

Something I'd never find on my own, that looks to be a very boutique type of offering, from a region that's grapes are sourced from a list of wineries that reads like a who's who of Napa Valley.

Now is this juice any good? Definitely worth a try when the best online price you can find is the same for a single bottle as it is here for three, you have to love DTC pricing!!

I'm going to predict that a big Napa Valley aged cab like this will be an easy sellout!

bsevern

Cesare wrote:It's the same. See here.

Nice find and indeed one and the same (although the 2005 is shown on the kissridge site), numbered bottles even

I wonder if the three packs here are delivered in fancy wooden boxes as mentioned on the Kiss Ridge site?

bsevern

^ Drink your mutant auzie plonk, I'm going in for two Kiss Ridge Cab three-fers!!!

Meeker Vineyards 2004 Kiss Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, Diamond Mountain - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jmdavidson
Speed to first woot: 11m 15.800s
Last wooter to woot: bsevern

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

After checking the website, this is a 40% discount before shipping. Great deal considering the winery has held onto it for more than 4 years in the bottle for you.

hards7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hards7
lyonsge wrote:Indeed, and while I was sufficiently up to speed to make out what the snail with a rocket up his rear and the dancing pope hat meant in the past, I'm at a loss regarding the monkey in a monkey suit.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that, much like NBC sitcoms of the '80s and '90s, this is a "very special" offering (but without the schmaltzy moral message at the end)?

Black Tie as in "Black Tie affair"... another way of saying "Fancy Schmantzy".

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Hi Lucas, hope you got some sleep! How was it being in Japan during the Women's World Cup finals?
Also, a wine question - Did you all add acid to the must on this wine to get to the 3.6 pH (similar to the process for your cab franc)?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem
bsevern wrote:This is the type of offering that I love WW for!!!

Something I'd never find on my own, that looks to be a very boutique type of offering, from a region that's grapes are sourced from a list of wineries that reads like a who's who of Napa Valley.

Now is this juice any good? Definitely worth a try when the best online price you can find is the same for a single bottle as it is here for three, you have to love DTC pricing!!

I'm going to predict that a big Napa Valley aged cab like this will be an easy sellout!

Perhaps I have to brush up on my California wine country geography, but isn't this from Sonoma?

kevlarklh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevlarklh

What does the black tie buy icon mean? Better packaging or just high-end wine? or other? I have not seen this before.

hibliss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hibliss

No love for Tennessee? I would be all over this with 3 3fers.

patrickkarcher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages patrickkarcher

There seems to be a lot of excitement for this. Good location, aged for us a nice bit, standard seemingly-good discount; It's something I'd expect some of our more adventurous members (without cashflow problems) to go for.

But I think I'm missing something. There's Corison/Wellington/Caton/Harvey level enthusiasm, but no one seems to have tried it. How do we know it's so good?

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb
mrlbem wrote:Perhaps I have to brush up on my California wine country geography, but isn't this from Sonoma?

Appellation: Diamond Mountain, Napa

Diamond Mountain is Northwest of St Helena, West of Howell Mountain. It's in the Napa region.

scotteik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotteik

I visited Meeker Vineyards tasting room several years ago, and they were undoubtably one of the favorite wineries I visited and purchased wine from. No Meeker left in my cellar, so I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
scotteik wrote:I visited Meeker Vineyards tasting room several years ago, and they were undoubtably one of the favorite wineries I visited and purchased wine from. No Meeker left in my cellar, so I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one.

What other wines do you like? I don't want to find out that the great price is for a style of wine that's not really my favorite.

edit: stats above.

Would love more acidity in these wines.

signed.

jmdavidson

Kiss Ridge is a limited production Cabernet Sauvignon wine produced from a 40 year old vineyard set in Napa Valley’s Diamond Mountain Appellation. The vineyard is owned by Tom and Theresa Wajnert, operated by the Wajnert’s TNT Vineyards, and lies just below their home. The wine is made under a partnership arrangement with the Meeker Vineyards who produce and bottle the wine.

lucasmeeker

quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker

Good morning Woot! We're baaaaaaack!

I'm awake now, and besides a couple errands I have to run later today, I'll be annoying everybody all day long.

jhkey wrote:Hi Lucas, hope you got some sleep! How was it being in Japan during the Women's World Cup finals?
Also, a wine question - Did you all add acid to the must on this wine to get to the 3.6 pH (similar to the process for your cab franc)?

Yes. 3.6 pH was actually the pH at pick. The acidulation to .75 g/100ml TA likely took the must pH down to something in the 3.25-3.35 range. Currently, in bottle and as it sits right now, the pH is 3.5-3.55.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

patrickkarcher wrote:There seems to be a lot of excitement for this. Good location, aged for us a nice bit, standard seemingly-good discount; It's something I'd expect some of our more adventurous members (without cashflow problems) to go for.

But I think I'm missing something. There's Corison/Wellington/Caton/Harvey level enthusiasm, but no one seems to have tried it. How do we know it's so good?

I would guess the answer is threefold:

1. The Black Tie Buys tend to be pretty strong.

2. People really liked the 2004 Cab Franc we had up three weeks ago

3. Because I said so!

All kidding aside, Diamond Mountain is on of the most elite/exclusive AVAs in all of California. The fruit tends to be phenomenal, and the wines tend to average in price closer to the $100+ price range. This is a good deal from an AVA where most barriers to entry are in the "ho-crap" expensive region.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

jmdavidson wrote:Kiss Ridge is a limited production Cabernet Sauvignon wine produced from a 40 year old vineyard set in Napa Valley’s Diamond Mountain Appellation. The vineyard is owned by Tom and Theresa Wajnert, operated by the Wajnert’s TNT Vineyards, and lies just below their home. The wine is made under a partnership arrangement with the Meeker Vineyards who produce and bottle the wine.

Bingo.

This is a Meeker wine, but we make it with more involvement from Tom and Theresa, whom we treat as partners in the wine, as opposed to growers.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

jmdavidson

texacaliali wrote:hang tight, Lucas Meeker just arrived home to Sonoma County today after a vaca in Japan. He'll pipe in as soon as he can shake some jet-lag away!

Did you and/or Jasontune have a labrat report to post for this one? I know you had a great report for the Cab Franc from last month.

zyria

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zyria

Nice to see the winemaker here!

How did you handle tannin management to achieve the silkiness?

Also, off-topic I know (but *my* favorite topic), where in Japan did you go? I spend a lot of time in Kyushu whenever I go. Just curious.

lucasmeeker

trifecta wrote:After checking the website, this is a 40% discount before shipping. Great deal considering the winery has held onto it for more than 4 years in the bottle for you.

The discount is actually more than that.

The price for this vintage was never below $85. We lowered the price to $45 for the 2005 vintage after the recession started, and only offered the $45/bottle price to existing customers.

But, we didn't want there to be any issue with Woot, so the pricing structure is based on a 40% discount of the $45 price, even though this wine specifically never sold for below $85.

This is a really good deal. And, unfortunately, it will NOT be shipping in the 3-pack wooden boxes. Part of the lowering to $45/bottle was because a lot of customers didn't need/want the box, and it increased our product cost and our shipping cost. Sorry!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp

Does Meeker delay shipping? I'd hate to see these beauties bake on a truck.

ewqcsl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ewqcsl

You're killing me. This would be my 4th wine.woot in 2 weeks.

lucasmeeker

canonizer wrote:What other wines do you like? I don't want to find out that the great price is for a style of wine that's not really my favorite.

edit: stats above.

Would love more acidity in these wines.

Then this is up your alley. We looooove acidic wines, and if you go read the thread on our 2004 Cabernet Franc offering, you'll see my "summarized manifesto" as to how we feel about acidity (very strongly) and why we like our wines so acidic (because it's rad)!

Link: 2004 Meeker Cabernet Franc

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
lucasmeeker wrote:The discount is actually more than that.

The price for this vintage was never below $85. We lowered the price to $45 for the 2005 vintage after the recession started, and only offered the $45/bottle price to existing customers.

But, we didn't want there to be any issue with Woot, so the pricing structure is based on a 40% discount of the $45 price, even though this wine specifically never sold for below $85.

This is a really good deal. And, unfortunately, it will NOT be shipping in the 3-pack wooden boxes. Part of the lowering to $45/bottle was because a lot of customers didn't need/want the box, and it increased our product cost and our shipping cost. Sorry!

Holy crap folks... according to Lucas we are looking at close to a 70% discount before shipping.

Damn... 3 woots in 3 days if I pull the trigger??... I need to have someone setup a parental block on this website for me....