secretwine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages secretwine

I'm new to the wine.woot world, but I couldn't help noticing on Wine Woot calendar, no Wine Woot gatherings yet in San Francisco! I'm offering to host the first one.

DATE: Saturday, August 13th
1st TIME: 5PM
1st PLACE: August West Wines. We'll get to taste the famous Roar Pinot Noirs directly from the tank w/ winemaker Ed Kurtzman
1st ADDRESS: 81 Dorman Avenue (corner of Dorman & Barneveld St., just off Industrial St.), San Francisco.
Carpool or caravan: I drive a Toyota Prius, so I can carry 4 extra people. Meet me about 4:30pm (2nd Place, the secret wine shop), leave about 4:50pm.

2nd TIME: 6:30PM (if you get there before the rest of us, the chef will buzz you in)
2nd PLACE: The Secret Wine Shop
2nd ADDRESS: 1097 Howard St. #209 (SE corner 7th & Howard), San Francisco. Street parking is usually easy on Howard just before 7th on left-hand-side of street, free after 6pm. 415-625-3285.

THEME: red (or pink) wines you're into during the summer, think BBQ wines! E.g. Zin, red table wine, some Rhone styles are good chilled, pale reds, pinks. But mainly this is just an excuse to meet, share wine & have a good time!

MENU:
Pop-up chef Russell Jong from The Savory Bite has planned a menu for us. Your $20 donation will get you fed with:
- Assorted crackers, breads and spreads
- Bison Meatballs w/Gorgonzola Dip
- Carnitas Style Pork Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- Roasted Summer Vegetable Kabobs
- Dark Chocolate Dessert

WHAT TO BRING:
---A bottle of your fav summer red wine one bottle per couple or two people can sponsor one bottle.
---$20 donation for the food.

HOSTS: secretwine, tenuki, & klezman. Looking forward to a wootin' good time!

ATTENDEES:
1. secretwine - Terra Savia 2008 Petit Verdot about the winemaker -or- maybe I'll pop open a 2004 Wellington Meeks Hilltop Zin from my library -or- if the temp is hotter than 75F that day a chilled Pinot Meunier.
2. tenuki
10. klezman +7 - I think it's down to one of (a) Eaglepoint Ranch Grenache (b) Eaglepoint Ranch Coro Mendocino (c) Roche Merlot (d) Truett-Hurst Zinfandel Rose
12. random122 + 1 - Planeta Cerasuolo di Vittoria or SH's Inzinerator
13. Tassadar2k03
14. tedeci - J.Keverson Zin or one of my homemade ones that won gold in the non-professional category 2010 Sonoma Harvest Fair
15. texacaliali
16. cmaldoon - tempranillo

MAYBES:
1. danisolas
2. wineDavid ?
3. richardhod

NOS:
1. Chakon99
2. MarkDaSpark
3. sanity

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

CJ will add your event to the calendar, once she has internetz back (evidently a lightning strike took out her FiOS connection for the weekend).

I'm sure someone will help you co-host. Tenuki or klezman maybe.

Wish I could be up there (in SoCal), but the 6th is out for me (had to cancel on the Clambake as well. ). Hope you all have fun.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

secretwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:CJ will add your event to the calendar, once she has internetz back (evidently a lightning strike took out her FiOS connection for the weekend).

I'm sure someone will help you co-host. Tenuki or klezman maybe.

Wish I could be up there (in SoCal), but the 6th is out for me (had to cancel on the Clambake as well. ). Hope you all have fun.

Thanks Mark! Any weekend in August works for me except the last. Not set on 8/6, do you want to throw out a different date? I'd like to meet as many active interested Wine Wooters during the get together as possible!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
secretwine wrote:Thanks Mark! Any weekend in August works for me except the last. Not set on 8/6, do you want to throw out a different date? I'd like to meet as many active interested Wine Wooters during the get together as possible!

Hi, would love to attend, not sure on the 6th though. It's also the eighth street wineries open house in Sonoma which I've been going to lately. It ends at four though so it's possible I might feel up for both and just show up a little late.

Also how local is local? Does it include Napa/Sonoma? It only confused me because at first I was thinking (I'm in Walnut Creek) about Contra Costa/Livermore/Oakland wineries, and then realized you probably didn't mean to be that restrictive and just meant northern California.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

Sounds great to me! I'm available on the 6th at this point, although tenuki's mention of the 8th Street open house now has me thinking about that also.

The following weekend would also work for me.

If you want to just get together over a bottle of wine one of these days, I am in the Mission Bay/ballpark area often enough.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

secretwine

tenuki wrote:Hi, would love to attend, not sure on the 6th though. It's also the eighth street wineries open house in Sonoma which I've been going to lately. It ends at four though so it's possible I might feel up for both and just show up a little late.

Also how local is local? Does it include Napa/Sonoma? It only confused me because at first I was thinking (I'm in Walnut Creek) about Contra Costa/Livermore/Oakland wineries, and then realized you probably didn't mean to be that restrictive and just meant northern California.

"local" is loose for me - usually places I can drive easily - Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa, Livermore, Santa Cruz, Monterey, but I carry a few Paso-area wines since a lot going on. So much wine to discover!

I'm up for holding our SF wine woot gathering the next weekend...

secretwine

klezman wrote:Sounds great to me! I'm available on the 6th at this point, although tenuki's mention of the 8th Street open house now has me thinking about that also.

The following weekend would also work for me.

If you want to just get together over a bottle of wine one of these days, I am in the Mission Bay/ballpark area often enough.

Following weekend (8/13 or 8/14) works for me too. Sun (8/14) sounds best, since there's very little competition for other wine tastings usually.

Maybe you + klezman (I don't know his real name) would like to meet Wed 5pm at Yield Wine bar? Wine tasting $5 (no info what they'll pour), and since slow food is so "popular", best to get there early. Interested? http://www.slowfoodsanfrancisco.com/sf_events.html

tenuki

secretwine wrote:"local" is loose for me - usually places I can drive easily - Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa, Livermore, Santa Cruz, Monterey, but I carry a few Paso-area wines since a lot going on. So much wine to discover!

I'm up for holding our SF wine woot gathering the next weekend...

Added you on google+ in case you're wondering who the random person is. I think the following weekend should work, but whatever, if y'all make it the 6th I'd probably still try to make it.

CT

secretwine

Sounds like the best date is Sun, August 14th, 5-7pm. That way we won't interfere w/Sat tastings, but still get a weekend. Wish I could change the title of this post...

Tenuki + Klezman, talk to you soon over some wine, so we can plan NorCal #11!

klezman

secretwine wrote:Sounds like the best date is Sun, August 14th, 5-7pm. That way we won't interfere w/Sat tastings, but still get a weekend. Wish I could change the title of this post...

You can...just edit the first post that you made.

And for a gathering it might make more sense to give a longer amount of time, or perhaps start off with a tasting followed by pairings with dinner which could be done potluck style and such. Is there a particular Saturday tasting you're looking to avoid?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

secretwine

klezman wrote:You can...just edit the first post that you made.

And for a gathering it might make more sense to give a longer amount of time, or perhaps start off with a tasting followed by pairings with dinner which could be done potluck style and such. Is there a particular Saturday tasting you're looking to avoid?

I just private message'd you w/my contact info! agree, if people are going to bother meeting in person, should include food & plenty of time to taste. Let's talk soon, maybe tomorrow night 5pm @ Yield?

The original Sat mentioned (8/6) is also the Sonoma Coast WOW tasting w/30 wineries including Ant Hill, so if I don't host I'll be there instead.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

I might be able to make this one too...

WineDavid was my Boss!

klezman

secretwine wrote:I just private message'd you w/my contact info! agree, if people are going to bother meeting in person, should include food & plenty of time to taste. Let's talk soon, maybe tomorrow night 5pm @ Yield?

The original Sat mentioned (8/6) is also the Sonoma Coast WOW tasting w/30 wineries including Ant Hill, so if I don't host I'll be there instead.

Yeah, so I live down the Peninsula, work in the east bay, and am not in the city that often. I'm not sure when I will next be able to make it up to the city with a free-ish night on my hands. Definitely easier for me to meet down the peninsula, but may be equally bad or worse for you.

secretwine

texacaliali wrote:I might be able to make this one too...

Great, see you August 14th TexacaliAli! We'll post final instructions here & update the community event calendar once we get what/when/where nailed down.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

oh ratz, just remembered. this is the night I'm committed to a pig roast at Porter Bass with friends visiting from Texas.

WineDavid was my Boss!

MarkDaSpark

secretwine wrote:Sounds like the best date is Sun, August 14th, 5-7pm. That way we won't interfere w/Sat tastings, but still get a weekend. Wish I could change the title of this post...

Wish I could make it, but heading to the beach for vacation the next day!

But we can try for something when Scott Harvey does the Wine Stomp this year (Sept/Oct?)

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

texacaliali wrote:oh ratz, just remembered. this is the night I'm committed to a pig roast at Porter Bass with friends visiting from Texas.

WineDrew agreed to be roasted???

secretwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:Wish I could make it, but heading to the beach for vacation the next day!

But we can try for something when Scott Harvey does the Wine Stomp this year (Sept/Oct?)

sure, I'm a fan of 1869, and also Vino Noceto who's vineyard is the 1869

secretwine

how about Sat, 8/13, 5-8pm? Same place, same theme (summer reds), with food? I can invite a local pop-up chef to cater. If each person (or person w/their +1) brings 1 bottle to share + $20 to cover food, that should make for a wooting good time!

danisolas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danisolas

Ooooh! Day after birthday! Very curious.. but can't confirm (since it is birthday weekend)... how much notice will this gathering require for RSVP?

-danielle

secretwine

danisolas wrote:Ooooh! Day after birthday! Very curious.. but can't confirm (since it is birthday weekend)... how much notice will this gathering require for RSVP?

I think just post here when you think you can make it, probably at least a day in advance, so the chef can plan his/her food. I'm new to this, but think it's pretty free-form, but the more the merrier!

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
secretwine wrote:I think just post here when you think you can make it, probably at least a day in advance, so the chef can plan his/her food. I'm new to this, but think it's pretty free-form, but the more the merrier!

Being the novice that I am, could you enlighten me on what is considered a summer red?

klezman

random122 wrote:Being the novice that I am, could you enlighten me on what is considered a summer red?

I don't think there are hard and fast rules for that. I'd say something that either goes with a type of food you often have in summer (e.g. bbq) or a light red that you'd happily sit outside by the pool/on the beach drinking by itself.

In the end, just come on down and bring something tasty. It's all about the fun!

random122

klezman wrote:I don't think there are hard and fast rules for that. I'd say something that either goes with a type of food you often have in summer (e.g. bbq) or a light red that you'd happily sit outside by the pool/on the beach drinking by itself.

In the end, just come on down and bring something tasty. It's all about the fun!

Thanks, sounds good! Perhaps I'll bring the wine I was supposed to bring to the last one too. I will confirm if I can make it probably next week.

secretwine

Pop-up chef The Savory Bite confirmed & has planned a menu for us. Your $20 donation will get you fed with:
- Assorted crackers, breads and spreads
- Bison Meatballs w/Gorgonzola Dip
- Carnitas Style Pork Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- Roasted Summer Vegetable Kabobs
- Dark Chocolate Dessert

Please let us know if you can, next week, so the chef can start planning their shopping, etc.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Man, this sounds so awesome! I really wish I were arriving in SF a day earlier so I could be there! Hope you all have a great time and maybe I'll be luckier with my timing in the future.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hey, some momentum here.

so is the 13th firm? need to check my calender.

secretwine

Winedavid39 wrote:Hey, some momentum here.

so is the 13th firm? need to check my calender.

Yes, 13th is set. Look forward to meeting WineDavid!

random122

I'll be there!

random122

Tassadar2k03 will be there as well.

secretwine

I got us a real treat! SF Wine Wooters will get to taste the famous Roar Pinot Noirs with winemaker Ed Kurtzman direct from the tank! Included in the tasting will be the 2010 Gary's Vineyard Pinot. Even Antonio Galloni (Robert Parker's CA wines replacement) has been commenting.

About Roar
About Ed Kurtzman

Let's meet at August West winery in San Francisco @ 5pm, then go back to my wine shop to enjoy our wines together & eat dinner.

I'll update the original post w/ times & directions.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

This sounds like so much fun. If it's not too late, I'll work out scheduling and chime in soon.

secretwine

sanity wrote:This sounds like so much fun. If it's not too late, I'll work out scheduling and chime in soon.

no, not too late, hope you can make it!

klezman

sanity wrote:This sounds like so much fun. If it's not too late, I'll work out scheduling and chime in soon.

Yay! Can probably offer futon at my place or molarchae's air mattress if that would help.

sanity

klezman wrote:Yay! Can probably offer futon at my place or molarchae's air mattress if that would help.

Thanks so much to both of you for the offer! I was thinking of bringing a +1, so we would stay in the nearest Hilton property (yay points). I would prefer to stay in an outlying area; which would be a convenient location?

secretwine

sanity wrote:Thanks so much to both of you for the offer! I was thinking of bringing a +1, so we would stay in the nearest Hilton property (yay points). I would prefer to stay in an outlying area; which would be a convenient location?

I haven't stayed at any of these, but searched http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/index.do If you're headed to Napa/Sonoma Sun:

1. Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
1800 Powell Street
Emeryville, CA 94608
(510) 658-9300
hiltongardeninn.com

2. Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County
101 McInnis Parkway
San Rafael, California, USA, 94903
1-415-499-9222

Otherwise close to SFO is convenient.

3. Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport
670 Gateway Blvd
South San Francisco, California, USA, 94080
1-650-872-1515

4. Homewood Suites by Hilton® SFO Airport
2000 Shoreline Court
Brisbane, California, USA, 94005
1-650-589-1600

sanity

Thanks for the suggestions, I've stayed in all of these at one time or another. What I was asking and didn't make clear was in relation to where others live, and since I'll be driving/riding the bike, would it be better/easier to stay nearer klez, molarchae's, tenuki and carpool or...?

tenuki

sanity wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I've stayed in all of these at one time or another. What I was asking and didn't make clear was in relation to where others live, and since I'll be driving/riding the bike, would it be better/easier to stay nearer klez, molarchae's, tenuki and carpool or...?

It'll probably just be me, not +2. I'm in Walnut Creek so nothing near me makes sense, though if you end up in Emeryville could probably swing by and pick y'all up.

CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

secretwine

You're welcome to carpool/caravan w/me from my place (location #2). Leave ~4:50pm. I drive a Toyota Prius, so I can carry 4 extra people.