noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
keithnowak7 wrote:
I know wineries are trying to get capital in this economy and are parting with wines for great prices, but I am not expecting 100 bucks for a case, delivered, of wine on a regular basis. The Truchard offering appeared to be a not-in-demand varietal, from a good grower, that they were "dumping" to get their name out. I don't expect to see many of those.

IMHO - what we are seeing at wine.woot is a confluence of several factors.

First, there are wineries that are having difficulty moving product through normal distribution. Wine.woot offers a way to get clear out inventory and recover some of the tied up capital.

Second, while accomplishing the first factor, it enables the winery to establish a direct relationship with a wine-buying community that is likely to lead to direct sales if the buyers enjoy the product. That's more attractive for the winery than simply slashing price to move product.

Third, participating in wine.woot gets the winery into a direct to consumer distribution channel made possible by the internet. With direct sales, the whole added cost structure associated with wholesaler -> distributor -> retailer is eliminated. I suspect that tapping into this channel should enable to winery to generate about the same revenue (or maybe even more revenue) as they would selling into the old distribution channel, but with lower price to the consumer.

Fourth, the nature of wine.woot, with the comments and on-line interaction, allows the winery to connect directly with interested, knowledgeable and motivated buyers in a way that is far more efficient than a tasting room (where the visit is mostly recreational for many visitors) or doing a traveling road show where the winery rep can only connect with a small number of people who come to some prearranged meeting.

In short, the historic indirect wine distribution and sales system is being replaced with direct to consumer sales enabled through the internet. The Studdert boys (winedavid and winegeorge) astutely recognized the situation and had the expertise to make it happen, establishing a leading position in the process.

++++++

I expect that we are going to see some wineries steadily increasing the amount of product they move through wine.woot, to the point where wine.woot might become their primary distribution channel.

If this growth occurs, wine.woot will likely need to expand it's offerings to match. For example, we might see whitewine.woot and redwine.woot - parallel offerings running all of the time. Or multiple offerings available simultaneously.

Or, perhaps with the relationship with Amazon, it might evolve to some kind of a wine storefront arrangement, with wine.woot serving up featured offerings.

Who knows what the specific format will be? All we know is that it will continue to evolve and adapt to market conditions and demands.

ryall12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryall12
jhkey wrote:Taxes are already paid by the winery. You don't need to factor that in. $11/bottle.

I did not realize that, thank you. I thought that since the Amazon thing we now paid taxes on all woot purchases. In that case I change my number to $105

@Keithnowak7: I was not including shipping in that number. The 99+shipping+tax would come out to $10 a bottle for me.
Also @Pspreier: please note the 'in my opinion'. Perhaps 'perfect' was not the right word, I more meant optimal for this deal, again in my opinion where I am not a big Zin fan. Obviously I am willing to pay more on varietals, vintages, and winemakers I favor; don't we all.
My point was it is always tough to invest in something you have not yet tried especially when the reviews are sparse and mixed. Add in personal preference and it becomes more difficult.

So again those are just my opinions on the offering due to personal preference, finances, and familiarity (or lack there of in this case). It is not a relfection on the wine being offered. I know that type of information is very helpful to people however I am sure there are many like me out there who enjoy wine and purchase when they can where these decisions factor in greatly. Just throwing out there what is holding me back, perhaps hoping someone will add something that will change my mind...

@noslensj - completely agree, well stated! Part of the point I was trying to get at above. It also provides them with feedback which, while repecting expertise, is always helpful when marketing a product.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda

I have been very quiet lately - been getting used to my new wine budget hubby has insisted on. Since he is retired and home during the day (mostly) I can get friends to split when we have case offerings and thus I can stay within the HIWB and still try alot of different wines. Yea-everyone is happy and thank you Wooters and Woot for the great education. A case last weekend and a case this weekend-thank goodness for friends.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
pspreier wrote:I completely agree. But I might still be on the fence unless they also shipped me some heralds to blow trumpets and nymphs to feed me grapes while I drank the wine. Or since we are dreaming, maybe they could just sub out the blend for 3 bottles of Chateau Petrus. I would definitely be in for that ;-)

LOL. Thus is a pretty good deal imho.

And EDIT oops noslenj seems about spot on! Nice post

___

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

1. just noticed the vinticulturists happen to be Mr. Robledo and son, mexican immigrant who was the first latino to open a winery in napa (Robledo Winery). Cool! Just thought I'd throw it out there.

2. I think many wooters are getting spoiled by the great mixed case offerings and are forgetting what a GEAT deal (cost and quality)one is getting compared to wine aavilable at local markets. Seriously people, $11/bottle?

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
sftbll10 wrote:
LAB RAT REPORT--------

Pellegrini Eight Cousins Vineyard, Russian River Zinfandel

Put it in my wine fridge for a bit, popped it and poured through the Vinturi...

I'm not very experienced with Zins, so I called a friend to come over, who just so happens to collect Zins. Here are our collective notes: Very tight, and we're not getting much on the nose at first other than alcohol. Eventually it opens up a bit, and I'm getting some cherry's on the nose and friend is getting cherry and "other" fruit as well. I take my first sip and I'm shocked that the mouth feel is so smooth, and surprisingly there is very little spice/pepper on the mid pallat. I'm getting flavors of cherry, raisins/figs, and although there is hardly any finish, I'm pleasantly surprised with this wine. I have never really liked Zins, but this one is so easy to drink. Does it compare to a top of the line Zin? Of course not. Is it a great deal for the price? YES! My only knocks on it are that it was a little bit disjointed, but despite that, it's a very drinkable wine.

We had some meats and cheeses with it, but honestly this is a Zin you could sip by itself, although I can picture pairing this with BBQ or something like that. It's not super spicy or over the top. It's a subtle wine, and most importantly it's not too sweet. Overall I thought it was ok, but I'm sure there are plenty of peeps out there that will really enjoy this wine. I wanted to try another glass last night, but I have to wait until tonight to give it another go...training for a triathlon, so I can only have one glass a night. I'll let you guys know if the wine is any different tonight.

Thank You Woot for letting me be a rat ;-)

What tri are you doing? i will be competing the in Vineman this coming July 17th in Sonoma County...and I must admit I drink plenty of wine lol You are disciplined.

"The older I get the better I was"

knotheadusc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc
rxmurphy wrote:Don't trust the neighbors with the wine? Me neither!

Well, we just moved to this neighborhood, so I don't know them very well. It's a pretty rural area, too... On the day we moved in, one of the folks who lives on our road stopped by to introduce himself. The guy who was moving our furniture said he looked like he came from the cast of Deliverance.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy
knotheadusc wrote:Well, we just moved to this neighborhood, so I don't know them very well. It's a pretty rural area, too... On the day we moved in, one of the folks who lives on our road stopped by to introduce himself. The guy who was moving our furniture said he looked like he came from the cast of Deliverance.

Well, that could also mean he looked like Jon Voight or Burt Reynolds.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
tonycyndy wrote:Well, that could also mean he looked like Jon Voight or Burt Reynolds.

Or Ned....Squeel!!!!

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

We were so pleased with the last Pellegrini mixed case...how can I say no? At 11 bucks per, it's a deal. In for 1!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sccr64472 wrote:It is with deep regret that I inform you I'm not going to be able to hold up my end of the deal as a Pellegrini North Coast Family Blend lab rat. Beginning Tuesday afternoon, my temperature began to shoot up and morphed into a full blown flu. Not only would alcohol be an unwise choice, but it would be a complete waste on me even if I was able to try to enjoy it. Again, my deepest sympathies to the winery and to wine.woot.

Oh no! Get better!

When you're feeling up to it, go ahead and do the tasting and report. That way it will be available should your wine go on sale again on a daily offering.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

wcheney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcheney

Does anyone know how long it typically takes an order to reach California? Thanks

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wcheney wrote:Does anyone know how long it typically takes an order to reach California? Thanks

Greetings. Here's info from the Wine FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it’s still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

HOWEVER, this is summer and that means heat. Hot heat. Hot heat that's bad for wine. So here's the info on the Summer shipping schedule for Wine.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

crackkitty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crackkitty

RE: FedEx -

FWIW, for all (ok, 3 or 4 total but anyway) of my wine.woot orders I have used the tracking number once I received it, go directly to the FedEx website and change the delivery location to the local FedEx store. In my case, it's about 5 minutes from where I work, so it's convenient. Plus, I sign up for delivery notification at the time of the re-route, and not only do I get an email, but they call me with an automated message. That store is open 24hrs (it's a Kinkos too) so I can stop by whenever it's convenient. Sign my name on the line and on my way home. It's super easy.

I suggest looking into that if you're like me and don't happen to be at home between 8am and 6pm every day.

Lastly, I haven't finished drinking my Costa del Sol (which I love, therefore I'm trying to savor what I have), but I'm in for this one. A sample of red's with pretty good comments... I'll give it a shot.

ilovecoffee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovecoffee
sulakdd wrote:I was going to buy this offer. Now I'm not. FedEx tried to deliver my case of Triacipedis 2 this morning, and no one was home to sign for it. Now, they tell me that I have to wait until Monday for redelivery or pickup!!!!! It will sit in a warehouse over the weekend. In the past, I was able to pick it up at the FedEx warehouse after work, and I was always able to do that with UPS. I'm really, really mad right now, and I can't in good conscious buy something that will support FedEx!

Woot, please switch back to UPS.

I totally agree, FedEx (Ground only) sucks big time for "signature required" packages (at least in this area). FedEx ground is treated as the bastard step child of FedEx and while there are many Express locations, FedEx ground refuses to deliver to any of them. The "local" Fedex ground location is 1.5 hours drive away (how do they make money?), and is only open for like three hours on saturday morning, at a rented building. Calling FedEx yields bad information as I have twice made this long drive after calling to confirm the hours and location only to find the facility closed. I have no problem with the FedEx drivers or delivery service (they are great), but it just not work for "signature required" stuff. UPS is sooo much better. Their facility is much closer, they have consistant hours every day, and calling UPS has yielded consistant information and serice.

illinimama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illinimama

We have been considering to buy or not to buy for over 24 hrs now and after reading all of your thoughts, decided it was our type of wine and pressed the gold button! Thanks for all of the information!

mew5280

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mew5280
ilovecoffee wrote:I totally agree, FedEx (Ground only) sucks big time for "signature required" packages (at least in this area).

As I understand it, whether it's UPS or FedEx, a signature by someone at or over the age of 21 is required for delivery. I'm a little confused as to why people are upset that it's required, it is required for any wine deliveries, isn't it? Also, yes I do wish they would deliver on weekends but....

...the option FedEx has for delivering to a local Kinkos is awesome. In addition to it being 5 mins from my house and is open at more convenient times, they call me every single day until I pick it up so I can't forget. I've only used it once when the wine was delivered the first day of our vacation. I believe they only hold it for 5 business days though. Anyway, I like FedEx, no problems with them here.

irenemarie0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irenemarie0

wishes it was July 1 already. It is heartbreaking to be unable to take advantage of wine.woot.

parahaps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parahaps
sulakdd wrote:I was going to buy this offer. Now I'm not. FedEx tried to deliver my case of Triacipedis 2 this morning, and no one was home to sign for it. Now, they tell me that I have to wait until Monday for redelivery or pickup!!!!! It will sit in a warehouse over the weekend. In the past, I was able to pick it up at the FedEx warehouse after work, and I was always able to do that with UPS. I'm really, really mad right now, and I can't in good conscious buy something that will support FedEx!

Woot, please switch back to UPS.

Possibly someone has already mentioned this:

Fedex now allows you to have items delivered to a nearby Fedex store instead of to your door. This is really popular for alcohol purchases. After you order and get a tracking number, just log in online and tell them to send it to the store of your choice. Show up, give them ID, get wine!

(Oops, yeah, been mentioned a couple of times)

mastershibby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mastershibby
parahaps wrote:Possibly someone has already mentioned this:

Fedex now allows you to have items delivered to a nearby Fedex store instead of to your door. This is really popular for alcohol purchases. After you order and get a tracking number, just log in online and tell them to send it to the store of your choice. Show up, give them ID, get wine!

(Oops, yeah, been mentioned a couple of times)

+1 vote for Fedex and the option to deliver to a local store

I had another non-woot UPS wine delivery and wasn't able to be home to sign. It went to a large warehouse in South Seattle and I had to pick it up there which was about 30+ minutes round trip versus 5 minutes to my nearest Fedex store. UPS will not deliver to any of their local stores like Fedex does which is a major inconvenience.

Also UPS now charges for both rerouting and rescheduling deliveries online, this used to be a free service. Lastly, our UPS driver checks every single box in the "we'll be back to deliver tomorrow at___" which essentially means you have to be home the whole day or are screwed.

merryberry

quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

Enough with these case sales already! If you had made this a 4 pack (1 of each) for $42.99 or $44.99, I'd have bought it, and I'm sure many others would have too. People who really wanted a case could still do it (for a little more than now), and w.w would have grossed a bit more $ for themselves and the winery (not to mention more shipping $'s).

Most people I know don't buy wine by the case for home consumption. There's too much good wine out there to limit myself to multiples of a particular brand. I'm not in the business, of course, but it seems to me you're limiting your sales, not maximizing them.

My Cellar in CT

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
merryberry wrote:Enough with these case sales already! If you had made this a 4 pack (1 of each) for $42.99 or $44.99, I'd have bought it, and I'm sure many others would have too. People who really wanted a case could still do it (for a little more than now), and w.w would have grossed a bit more $ for themselves and the winery (not to mention more shipping $'s).

Most people I know don't buy wine by the case for home consumption. There's too much good wine out there to limit myself to multiples of a particular brand. I'm not in the business, of course, but it seems to me you're limiting your sales, not maximizing them.

I love case sales! I am fortunate enough to have the space for them though. I can hold almost double what I have. (not trying to brag). Maybe the better offering would be a half case at a bit more or a full case at a bit less? Say half case at 60 and full case at 100. That caters to both crowds and gives more people a chance to participate thus giving the winery *more* exposure!

Just my humble .02 worth anyway.

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
SneezyKevinA wrote:I love case sales! I am fortunate enough to have the space for them though. I can hold almost double what I have. (not trying to brag). Maybe the better offering would be a half case at a bit more or a full case at a bit less? Say half case at 60 and full case at 100. That caters to both crowds and gives more people a chance to participate thus giving the winery *more* exposure!

Just my humble .02 worth anyway.

I surmise that an important factor in the wine.woot business model is simplified shipping logistics. By offering only one "item" the backroom to prepare on order is simplified.

That's also why, in general, where there is some variability in the offering the makeup for an individual wooter is arbitrary. For example, in the recent Truchard offering, buyers receive either 2005 or 2006 (to go with the 2003 and 2004), but whether you receive 2005 or 2006 is luck of the draw. Similar approaches have been taken with past Noceto sangiovese offerings.

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
merryberry wrote:Enough with these case sales already! If you had made this a 4 pack (1 of each) for $42.99 or $44.99, I'd have bought it, and I'm sure many others would have too. People who really wanted a case could still do it (for a little more than now), and w.w would have grossed a bit more $ for themselves and the winery (not to mention more shipping $'s).

I totally agree. I did push the button and found two other friends to share with. In really like sets of 3s and 4s as it gives me a chance to try different wines and I don't have to finish a case before moving on. I love wine but don't drink everyday.

firedan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages firedan

Lab Report here

Pellegrini Cloverdale Ranch 2007 Merlot

So sorry for the delay but between work, and a computer problem I have been unable to report any sooner.

So this is my first lab rat offering, so I decided to cook dinner for my mother and sister due to the fact that my mother is kind enough to wait for Fedex to delivery my many wine woot shipments and thought it was time to include her in my love of wine.

So upon opening the wine, it was a dark beatiful shade of deep red and had a very strong alcohol smell to it, really not all that surprising.
Not really wainting to wait I did taste it right away and all I could really taste was the alcohol. My mother, and I should add who is not a wine drinker, was shocked by how strong the wine was and said she could feel it burn going down, like it was a shot of liquor. I told here we should let it set and it would be better.

After 30 to 45 minutes my sister arrived and we tried the wine again, by now it was good to go.
It was a fully bodied wine, will a earthy, oaky taste to it and a very smooth finish. I though it wsa by far one of the better reds I have gotten from wine woot. At this point my sister, who is also not a wine drinker, nor my mother could add any comments about the wine, but while I cooked my sister read a book about wine I had brought up for her.

My goal really was to see if my mother and sister could see how wine can go with food. So i made them cheeseburgers, I know very classy here, and sweet potato fries. And I have to say that they did taste a differnece with food, but at this point still there were no really good coments from them.

It was not untill we finished the meal with some chocolate cake, personally I think they were a little drunk at this point, that they both really started to like the wine. Upon eathing the cake with the wine they both looked up amazed that wine and food could really complement one another. They said that the wine made the chocolate so much better and the wine smoother.

After dinner they were both much more talkative and both came to the same conclusion that the wine was earthy and oaky, my sister also said that it was not a dry wine and she said she could taste rosemary in it. While not wine drinkers, I think that they both enjoyed it and my mother has even commented on buying some wine herself.

I had another friend just try it and he said that he has had worst but he has also had better, however I also came to the conclusion that he is a white or rose wine drinker and would have a glass of the merlot but its not something he would but on his own.

Bottom line, I was sold on the wine with the first taste, a nice earthy, oaky full bodied red wine. It was must better then others I have gotten here and for me worth the price. So thank you wine woot for the chance and I am really excited to try more wines from this company.

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds
ThunderThighs wrote:HOWEVER, this is summer and that means heat. Hot heat. Hot heat that's bad for wine. So here's the info on the Summer shipping schedule for Wine.

Any chance y'all could update the nicely aged summer shipping info? The toasty state of Georgia now allows wine shipments, so it would be nice to see where it falls in the game plan. I can make an assumption, but we know how well that works. Southeast Georgia is a risky place for wine shipments from May through October (HIWBM, which I break with surprising frequency). Thanks!

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Surprised this hasn't sold out. I'd be in for one in a flash if I had any cool storage available.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

rbs1731

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rbs1731

Just clicked the gold button. Does anyone know the timeframe for keeping these bottles? Do some get better with age, and which ones will keep longer. I'm sure we will try each one this summer, but which ones should we hang on to for later?

And what is room temperature? Here in Florida, with the AC running it's 77°. Seems warm to me..

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy

Not quite a SIWBM, but I just bought tickets for Roger Daltrey this afternoon, so alas, I must pass.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
rbs1731 wrote:Just clicked the gold button. Does anyone know the timeframe for keeping these bottles? Do some get better with age, and which ones will keep longer. I'm sure we will try each one this summer, but which ones should we hang on to for later?

And what is room temperature? Here in Florida, with the AC running it's 77°. Seems warm to me..

With wine in general, yes. With these, I'd suggest enjoying them all within 2 or 3 years. As far as temp, serving temp for reds is cellar temperature which is between 55 and 62 degrees. Enjoy!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

congrats Mav's.

clue?

"one of these days, i'm gonna sit down and write a long letter.." that album.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
Winedavid39 wrote:congrats Mav's.

clue?

Robert Young Winery?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
Winedavid39 wrote:congrats Mav's.

clue?

Harvest Moon Estate

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
redwinefan wrote:Harvest Moon Estate

I concur. Seems like the only song title on the album that is or could be a winery.

CT

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

Hey!! The shipping cost has gone up!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mdnorman wrote:Hey!! The shipping cost has gone up!

Ummm, Summer Shipping has been in effect for a while now. And will thru September normally.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

So maybe a Zin, PN, & Gewürztraminer trio from them?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare

You win

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
Cesare wrote:You win

I hope the prize is a case of Harvest Moon ;)

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare
redwinefan wrote:I hope the prize is a case of Harvest Moon ;)

I was labratted once when I guessed correctly.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber