Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Building contractors and web developers alike are familiar with the Project Triangle: the principle that you can have any two of your three most desired attributes, but probably not all three. A rich, faithful, handsome husband would be terrific. A ballclub made up of experienced, talented, cheap players would come out ahead on the field and on the balance sheet. And who wouldn’t want an affordable, roomy, and fuel-efficient car? Alas, reality usually says we have to sacrifice one of those three aspects to get the other two.

So it is with wine shipping, especially during the hot summer months. It should be obvious where Wine.Woot stands. Low cost and high quality are more important to us than high speed. The way we see it, it doesn’t matter how quickly you get your wine if it’s spoiled from heat exposure by the time it gets there. And who cares about a great wine deal if you have to pay out the nose for shipping?

That’s why the summer shipping charge will be the usual (and extremely low) $7 again this year. We think the $2 bump from the standard shipping charge is a small price to pay to ensure that your producer-direct wine shipment makes it through the heat unscathed. Sure, that cost could double or triple and you’d get your wine sooner. The producer could send it via the cheapest method they could find and hope that the heat doesn’t do any damage. But we think the best combination is the one we’ve favored every summer since 2007 – cheap and good.

You can check out the logistics at that link, if you’re interested in exactly how Wine.Woot pulls off our affordable, high-quality wine shipping. But for most of you, just know that even if your wine order takes a while to arrive, that low shipping charge and careful handling will make your wine worth waiting for.

What do you think? Would you choose a different pair from the wine shipping project triangle (cheap, fast, well-protected)? Let us know in the comments below…

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Personally, speed is not really a factor. I will lay the bottles down for at least a month after I get them. I'd rather have them arrive safe, and uncooked.

Z

cascade2k

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cascade2k

As someone who just received two cooked bottles of a black tie buy, I'd have happily paid triple shipping what I did and gotten two drinkable bottles instead of two semi-expensive paper weights that I am now going to attempt to return to Woot. Speed isn't the issue for me, it's getting the bottles in non-damaged condition. I'd just as happily have waited three weeks and paid the same just as long as they got here un-cooked.

Is it not logistically feasible to implement expedited + temperature controlled shipments for those people who want to pay for it? Does it add a level of complexity to your supply chain system that can't feasibly be built into the cost of shipping? I understand every company does its supply chain management differently and you guys may have priced around a one size fits all model that may not be as flexible as other more expensive versions, and that's fine, I'm just trying to understand.

In the end the important part is I get the wine I ordered as it was intended to be served (that is, not leaking and blown up by heat). If nothing else, I'd start doing your summer shipping beginning in May. Much of the southeast had temps in the 90s for much of the month.

dreamcryer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamcryer
Since the majority of our wine comes from the West Coast, orders to those states (CA, WA, OR, ID, NV) don’t need quite as much attention. But we’ll still avoid shipping on Thursdays and Fridays.

So should I try to avoid making orders that ship from east coast to west coast?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
dreamcryer wrote:So should I try to avoid making orders that ship from east coast to west coast?

Good question! Especially since I'm waiting on the St. Julien wine that sat over Memorial Day weekend somewhere between Chicago (IL) and Bloomington (CA).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
MarkDaSpark wrote:Good question! Especially since I'm waiting on the St. Julien wine that sat over Memorial Day weekend somewhere between Chicago (IL) and Bloomington (CA).

This is what I would like to see avoided at all costs. I have tracked my shipment and watched it spend a weekend in Nevada or Lenexa, KS, even with the summer shipping. I don't mind it so much in the winter, but hate it this time of year.

I don't buy from woot to get a wine to drink this week or the next 2-3 weeks. If I don't have it in my cellar, I'll get something from a local wine shop. This time of year, I'd rather the wine take another week to get to me than see it sit in some hot warehouse over a weekend.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

mochamix79

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79

Great post! I think timing shipments against high temps is nearly as frustrating as being a student in an advanced physics class. It's complicated and unpredictable. Then again, I didn't get too far past basic chem...but as a wine club manager, shipping in hot temps is something I try to avoid. for example, Texas is unbearable right now. I would rather wait to have my wine delivered (anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months) than have icky wine received within the week or two. Plus, the later delivery makes it feel like it's wine I never paid for, as I've already absorbed the charge. And I usually don't have to explain the delivery to my dear hubby.

As for paying more, I would likely pay $1-$5 more for a refrigerated truck if necessary. I'm told UPS is working on something like that, but then there is the issue of sitting in a warehouse for days on end.

I'm fortunate to live in California, so the wines I get from woot for the most part are delivered within 2 days of shipping, and so far I haven't had any issues.

I dont' know if woot has a "hold" policy, but I know that it is a complicated procedure, even for a wine club of 300-500 members, I still have to keep good records.

Thanks again for the post, it's good to know someone else is thinking of the high temps (unless you live in Cali...it's stil cold and rainy).

hiten900

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hiten900

I could not find the link...."You can check out the logistics at that link, if you’re interested in exactly how Wine.Woot pulls off our affordable, high-quality wine shipping."

Also, this is a topic where I don't expect anyone to say that an extra $2 is not worth it.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
hiten900 wrote:I could not find the link...."You can check out the logistics at that link, if you’re interested in exactly how Wine.Woot pulls off our affordable, high-quality wine shipping."

Also, this is a topic where I don't expect anyone to say that an extra $2 is not worth it.

It's in the paragraph above...."You can check out the logistics at that link, if you’re interested in exactly how Wine.Woot pulls off our affordable, high-quality wine shipping."

Where it says...."we’ve favored every summer since 2007 – cheap and good."

excon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages excon

last year was the first year i had problems with summer shipping. i put in an order to see how they are going to handle it this year without high expectations. and its not woot that handles shipping, its winecountryconnect.com. theres no chance of them sitting on your shipment until weather permits safe shipping, i've tried. they will replace any cooked bottles, but i would rather not waste wine when they could have shipped it correctly for your area. if this last order is done ground, i'll put wine.woot off until the fall when its cooler. the first few years they did a great job with summer shipping. then last year- everything they sent to texas was done ground with plenty of my bottles arriving with raised corks and leakage. i'll post back once i receive my first summer shipment on this years shipping efforts. in prior years, they shipped second day and i picked it up from the world center so it wouldnt ride around on the truck and never had a problem.
fingers crossed for this years delivery.

Update: I said i would update this when i got my shipping statement from winecountryconnect (woot). they are shipping the wine i ordered to houston in our blissful 95F+ through ground shipping(5 days) and no refrigeration. its the same as last year. i was not impressed then and will just avoid wine.woot until the weather is more climatic to shipping wine. i dont understand the difference in winter and summer shipping! why cant they go back to ups and the 2nd day ship? i've written them on numerous occasions, I even asked to pay more to get the wine to me in good shape- no luck, too many orders and mine cant be an exception. Nor will they hold it until the weather would be more reasonable. by the way, the order being shipped is bubbly, so no chance of raised corks, just cooked wine. i dont understand why i would know that wine is extremely delicate and they have give the impression that heat does damage to wine.

they did send it to kansas city and it had only a day trip to me at night. i fine with this shipping method. i'll give it another shot. so far so good

AJaney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AJaney

From a virgin wine.woot-er....Should I be concerned that my order from June 14th has not been shipped yet? I'm getting nervous that it's going to show up while I'm gone on vacation for 10days. What happens if I'm not home?

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
AJaney wrote:From a virgin wine.woot-er....Should I be concerned that my order from June 14th has not been shipped yet? I'm getting nervous that it's going to show up while I'm gone on vacation for 10days. What happens if I'm not home?

No. I ordered something on the 16th that also hasnt shipped yet. It will come...give it time. You can have it held at a fedex location if you know you will not be home. I think they only hold it for a week, but if you call them and explain your situation i would imagine you can work something out with them.

victoria63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages victoria63

I just received my Iron Horse order that was sent summer shipping....And the bottles were hot. It also sat in a warehouse in OH from June 22nd til June 29th when it started on it's journey here to Memphis (almost 100 degrees)I'm not an especially happy camper...this was my first woot and it wasn't cheap!! I guess I just don't understand the summer shipping? I thought it would be kept refrigerated??....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
victoria63 wrote:I just received my Iron Horse order that was sent summer shipping....And the bottles were hot. It also sat in a warehouse in OH from June 22nd til June 29th when it started on it's journey here to Memphis (almost 100 degrees)I'm not an especially happy camper...this was my first woot and it wasn't cheap!! I guess I just don't understand the summer shipping? I thought it would be kept refrigerated??....

How do you know that the warehouse wasn't temp controlled? It's not abnormal for the bottles to be warm to the touch from sitting on the day delivery truck. The wine should be ok as long as the corks aren't pushed and/or there is no seepage. If neither of those two things occurred, your wine did not sit at 100 degrees for a week.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Don't mind the extra two bucks during summer for refrigeration most of the way. Just thinking of how store wine is shipped from wineries to warehouses to stores. I think we have a great deal going here with shipping! Thanks to all those that make it happen behind the scenes!!!

princesspraline

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princesspraline

I placed an order on June 14th, according to FEDEX tracking, FEDEX received Shipment Information on June 22nd. No details after that. Is this normal? I never ordered from WOOT wine before, so I'm just wondering, thanks.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I'm curious on what the deal is with the Cosentino shipments? They were supposed to receive summer shipping treatment, yet they apparently went cross-country via UPS Ground instead of the standard summer shipping procedures. Was this a mixup?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

kylemittskus

princesspraline wrote:I placed an order on June 14th, according to FEDEX tracking, FEDEX received Shipment Information on June 22nd. No details after that. Is this normal? I never ordered from WOOT wine before, so I'm just wondering, thanks.

Yes. Many of us have has deliveries before the tracking number says we should have.

excon

victoria63 wrote:I just received my Iron Horse order that was sent summer shipping....And the bottles were hot. It also sat in a warehouse in OH from June 22nd til June 29th when it started on it's journey here to Memphis (almost 100 degrees)I'm not an especially happy camper...this was my first woot and it wasn't cheap!! I guess I just don't understand the summer shipping? I thought it would be kept refrigerated??....

email them, they will replace the bottles if they are heat damaged. open one to find out. if it was something oyu were planning on sitting on for a while, get a new batch, they usually send second day. god-forbid- i have no idea why they waste wine like they do

martinkey4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martinkey4

Personally, I like the hold policy that a lot of sites offer. I'd rather wait until October when I don't have to risk anything. It kills me to see wines that I really want to buy come up in the summer. Even with cross country refrigeration, when the local truck gets the wine in the morning - it spends all day in the Atlanta 100+ heat.

Wine and wenches empty men's purses
English Proverb
CT

excon

redwinefan wrote:I'm curious on what the deal is with the Cosentino shipments? They were supposed to receive summer shipping treatment, yet they apparently went cross-country via UPS Ground instead of the standard summer shipping procedures. Was this a mixup?

depends on where you are. northern states arent as prone to the heat, if its coming to a southern state, refuse delivery

excon

princesspraline wrote:I placed an order on June 14th, according to FEDEX tracking, FEDEX received Shipment Information on June 22nd. No details after that. Is this normal? I never ordered from WOOT wine before, so I'm just wondering, thanks.

very normal

excon

mochamix79 wrote:Great post! I think timing shipments against high temps is nearly as frustrating as being a student in an advanced physics class. It's complicated and unpredictable. Then again, I didn't get too far past basic chem...but as a wine club manager, shipping in hot temps is something I try to avoid. for example, Texas is unbearable right now. I would rather wait to have my wine delivered (anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months) than have icky wine received within the week or two. Plus, the later delivery makes it feel like it's wine I never paid for, as I've already absorbed the charge. And I usually don't have to explain the delivery to my dear hubby.

As for paying more, I would likely pay $1-$5 more for a refrigerated truck if necessary. I'm told UPS is working on something like that, but then there is the issue of sitting in a warehouse for days on end.

I'm fortunate to live in California, so the wines I get from woot for the most part are delivered within 2 days of shipping, and so far I haven't had any issues.

I dont' know if woot has a "hold" policy, but I know that it is a complicated procedure, even for a wine club of 300-500 members, I still have to keep good records.

Thanks again for the post, it's good to know someone else is thinking of the high temps (unless you live in Cali...it's stil cold and rainy).

wine.woot has no hold policy, they do everything through www.winecountryconnect.com and to me, they just get things out when they can, not much thought put into the weather, like the beautiful mochamix but its still hard for people that care about wine to see a good bottle that is wasted that could have been prevented. and my worry is that when it does come time to ship, are you sending the same bottles you returned, or do they give you fresh ones?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ddeuddeg
excon wrote:wine.woot has no hold policy, they do everything through www.winecountryconnect.com and to me, they just get things out when they can, not much thought put into the weather, like the beautiful mochamix but its still hard for people that care about wine to see a good bottle that is wasted that could have been prevented. and my worry is that when it does come time to ship, are you sending the same bottles you returned, or do they give you fresh ones?

Not sure it's necessary to return the bottles, if they're damaged. That would seem like a waste of $.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
excon wrote:very normal

To the best of my knowledge it is absolutely not normal...3 weeks, at the outside, is the longest I've waited. I am all the way across the country in Florida too.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

Cesare

quality posts: 1567 Private Messages Cesare
gregorylane wrote:To the best of my knowledge it is absolutely not normal...3 weeks, at the outside, is the longest I've waited. I am all the way across the country in Florida too.

3 weeks is normal for summer shipping across the country

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Cesare wrote:3 weeks is normal for summer shipping across the country

Also, June 14th (the date that person said they ordered) was a WootOff! and orders placed during those always tend to get additional delays above and beyond the regular offerings.
Though even with that said, email service@woot.com anyway to have them check on it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

My last three woot shipments (two from wine.woot & other just a woot) -- I didn't receive shipment emails until after I had the delivery in late May -- and one of them was the set of pushed cork Inzinerator Magnums (shipped May 20th or so) -- Love South Texas heat! Contacted Woot and Jana & I have no fear that they will be replaced (in fact, I'll be in Napa in 3 weeks & may just pick them up & carry back if the summer heat wave continues).

Concerned with email updates when I'm traveling & not being able to redirect/hold deliveries as necessary.

Just ordered Calcerous set after ordering 2003 Corison. Praying for safe delivery of both of those. Also ordered a case of Duckhorn SB & Goldeneye Vin Gris in June for summer imbibing -- but no sign of them arriving until mid-Sept b/c of the heat issue. Glad we can drink porch wine until November down here!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

moetdod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moetdod

Received my Ty Tanium yesterday and 3 out of 4 bottles were leaking & all were very hot upon arrival. Wine Woot responded to my email quickly & asked me to try the 4th bottle. Was not planning to open any of the shipment anytime soon, but I went ahead & tried it. Undamaged bottle was fine & WW offered to refund or replace the rest of the order. No end in sight to the heat, so I chose to refund. Bummed that I had to open a bottle before I really wanted to, a bit heavy for 105 degree weather!

StarM

Just got ONE bottle of the original 2 Inzinerator magnums that had pushed corks and were cooked upon tasting. It too has a "more pushed" cork -- almost a full inch out of the bottle.

It was delivered 2 day FedEx from Wine Country Connection. I am VERY concerned about my Corison (& Calcerous) orders now. I got tracking numbers on Wednesday, but there's no data on the tracking page. Only a statement that says Hold at FedEx Location is not available for this package. What's up with that?

I will recontact Woot re: why only one bottle replacing two and what to do about the third cooked bottle. No more summer wine shipments for me!

ARGH! But, hey, at least TS Don may bring us some rain, please?

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

kylemittskus

StarM wrote:...

A) definitely email woot again.

B) Sometimes, the online tracking info won't let you hold the package, but calling them will fix this problem. Give them the tracking number and they'll hold it for you.

C)

thegurl29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegurl29

Just curious - how warm is too warm for wine to be delivered? I purchased the Ty Caton Tytanium a week or so back and they tried to deliver it on Thursday(>90 day) and we weren't home to sign for it, so they delivered it on Friday(>90) at 6 after work. I got around to opening the box around 9:30 that night and the bottles were still extremely warm. The wine would have ridden around on the truck for several hours in that heat. We aren't planning on drinking this wine for a couple of years at least so we won't know if the heat had much effect.

StarM

kylemittskus wrote:C)

No problem with a quick Woot refund -- I've never had any problems with any Woot customer service issues.

Re: FedEx -- still working on that one -- the Calcerous is scheduled for delivery today, so I'm not leaving the house. No further tracking info is available on the Corison (other than it left 7/22), so I'll be calling FedEx here in a bit.

Only .04" rain from TS Don -- what a waste of a good tropical storm! Good news though, made a really nice Sangria for our Hurricane party!

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

I gotta stop ordering in the summer.

Everything shows up at body temperature or higher.

My fault for living in Las Vegas I guess, but still.

tornadotj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tornadotj

First my Ty Caton, then my Denier Handal, and today my Meeker. None were shipped according to what is stated here. Off to service....

Dallas, TX

StarM

Got my Corison & Calcerous yesterday -- on first delivery attempt. Calcerous looks fine & is my inventory; the Corison looked like there was old (dark grey) seepage on its wrapping paper and perhaps some fresh seepage (brighter purple) on the paper, but it was dry to the touch and no cork push-age and the capsule is intact.

I hate to drink one to try it (no steaks planned in the next week or so) -- anybody else have any input?

Cheers!

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

Why can't we get summer shipping started sooner?

With the woot world headquarters only ~10 miles away from me here in Dallas - they know it get's hot well before the middle of June.

Had 2x cooked Corisons last year, but my Meeker arrived yesterday looking ok so far (107 F yesterday). Would have liked to see a few gel-packs in the packing