83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

I loved the Kaleidoscope...great with spicy food or as a summer sipper. Really hoping we see some Albino Rhino again this summer...hopefully this will fit the bill until then. In for two...

BTW...Am I the only person who thought the NoCo Chard was one of the strangest Chards ever? My wife refers to it as the wierdo wine...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy
83fxwg wrote:I loved the Kaleidoscope...great with spicy food or as a summer sipper. Really hoping we see some Albino Rhino again this summer...hopefully this will fit the bill until then. In for two...

BTW...Am I the only person who thought the NoCo Chard was one of the strangest Chards ever? My wife refers to it as the wierdo wine...

I can't repeat what my wife called the NoCo Chard. I consider it to be the most disappointing Woot Wine ever...we poured out half of the first bottle, and now I've got five bottles left and nobody wants 'em.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
rpm wrote:Not sure. Most of the German Rieslings I drink (which is admittedly not all that often) are fairly upscale and have less residual sugar (excluding the intentionally quite sweet auslese or beeren- or trockenbeeren- auslese).

Gewurz, maybe. I have to be in the right mood for it, with the right food.

California Riesling, sadly, has much declined. Before Prohibition, it was world class. Many of the early winemakers were German when they weren't Italian. Even as late as the 1970s, there was far more Riesling than Chardonnay in California, and the quality - especially from Napa - could be really very good. Not the same as the very top Rheingau wines, but very good indeed. Stony Hill was one of the best, though made in quite small quantities.

When I lived in California, and could gorge myself on Dungeness Crab in season, I almost always drank dry Riesling with it. One of the 'made in Heaven' combinations akin to Oysters and (simple) Chablis and Lobster and premier or grand cru white Burgundy (or equivalent Chardonnay).

Did you try the NY woot just up? I'm curious about the quality of those Rieslings etc. Also, of course I might hope there are a few Leelanau Michigan Riesling from Scott Harvey i your cellar...

___

rmruesch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmruesch

Another Lab Rat checking in…hooray! Though I received the bottle on Thursday, I was super busy so my apologies on the late post.

I was having dinner with a few co-workers tonight so I thought that would be a fun way to get a few opinions on the wine. The group varied from one or two big time wine drinkers to a couple who have an occasional glass or two. Overall, I’d say the wine got good ratings. The one main thing EVERYone pointed out was that the wine was sweet, but not too sweet, just sweeter than they expected. Personally, I thought the acidity cut the sweetness extremely well which made for a very nice, balanced finish.

There was not a strong nose on it, but what you could smell at first was some light citrus, heavy on the grapefruit. The acidity really came through in the taste, giving the nod to the Sauv Blanc varietal. With a bite of food, I lost the flavor almost completely so I would definitely have this as a standalone wine. It really would make a great party wine (though personally I’d probably pour myself a glass and sit outside on a nice summer evening with a good book).

After letting it sit out for close to an hour, I retasted it. I definitely think the chardonnay started to become more pronounced and there was a much rounder feel to it. Once again, it washed out with food so I still stand by the fact that the wine would probably go best by itself.

To summarize, it was a crowd-pleaser with a sweet, but not too sweet taste. I think I would prefer it straight from the fridge, without letting it sit out too long. I’d say that if you are interested in a pleasant summer sipper, for a good price, you can’t go wrong with this one. I’ll definitely be purchasing some.

MrParr1Noid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrParr1Noid
tonycyndy wrote:I can't repeat what my wife called the NoCo Chard. I consider it to be the most disappointing Woot Wine ever...we poured out half of the first bottle, and now I've got five bottles left and nobody wants 'em.

This is "NOT" very encouraging, because I have yet to open my first of six...NoCo doesn't seem to be very popular, does it?

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
MrParr1Noid wrote:This is "NOT" very encouraging, because I have yet to open my first of six...NoCo doesn't seem to be very popular, does it?

The NoCo is definitely not very good. I had a half of a glass out of one bottle and dumped the rest of that bottle out. Now I have 5 full bottles taking up space in my wine cooler. I am not normally a white drinking, so I cannot fully describe the taste, but there was definitely something off about them.

On a lighter note, I am looking forward to my case of this white wine. Sounds tasty.

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

If you return to the posts from when the NoCo was offered, you will find the very apt description of "flat Sprite." It was the most disappointing purchase I've made on WineWoot, sad to say. And it is what scared me off from buying the Michel-Schlumberger because there was talk about going to stainless steel barrel aging only; no oak. I don't know if it's the ML or total stainless steel barrels, but the end result was dreadful. I use it as a punishment to myself when I enjoy too much wine. Have a poisoned apple, dearie. Maybe that will slow your out of control purchases down a bit.
On the other hand, I can hardly wait to try the Triacipedis!

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

I just had a moment of awakening! I'm redecorating my house in brown cardboard boxes!

pangalmin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pangalmin

Anyone interested in half in the Seattle/Redmond area?

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
Alison Gail Bixby wrote:If you return to the posts from when the NoCo was offered, you will find the very apt description of "flat Sprite." It was the most disappointing purchase I've made on WineWoot, sad to say. And it is what scared me off from buying the Michel-Schlumberger because there was talk about going to stainless steel barrel aging only; no oak. I don't know if it's the ML or total stainless steel barrels, but the end result was dreadful. I use it as a punishment to myself when I enjoy too much wine. Have a poisoned apple, dearie. Maybe that will slow your out of control purchases down a bit.

No, it did have oak, 8 months of french oak, for a subtle oak. they said the newer 09 had no oak, which does sound like a strange decision, unless it's just fashion. As a little oak does add complexity to a good Chard. one reason I bought one woot of the Michel-Schlumberger 07 was that it did have a lil but not much oak, like a good burgundy.

The NOCO was made by he LIOCO guys, and that by all accounts is outstanding (bloody better be for the price). Loojs ike their foray into the unknown world of budget grapes was an experiment in vin de table gone wrong!

___

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
MarkDaSpark wrote:Woot Cellars 2010 Triacipedis and the Minotaur’s Chalice - 6 Pack

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 17.933s
Last wooter to woot: MichaelWB

WOOT!!!

AND ... I got 2 orders! Double WOOT!

I'd ask what the cellaring time is, but I doubt these babies will last that long!

This is not a quality wine. You get what you pay for and I'm a wootfan. Not a wootwine fan.

I use California wines for cooking strictly. French and Italian wines are my forte, if you need some guidance let me know. Just make sure the husband is on the account, not the wife. She's not as knowlegable as I am about wines. Catch her for puter advice.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

LSlipetz wrote:The NoCo is definitely not very good. I had a half of a glass out of one bottle and dumped the rest of that bottle out. Now I have 5 full bottles taking up space in my wine cooler. I am not normally a white drinking, so I cannot fully describe the taste, but there was definitely something off about them.

On a lighter note, I am looking forward to my case of this white wine. Sounds tasty.

Use the rest for sauteing when cooking. Works real well with veal or chicken.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

Alison Gail Bixby wrote:If you return to the posts from when the NoCo was offered, you will find the very apt description of "flat Sprite." It was the most disappointing purchase I've made on WineWoot, sad to say. And it is what scared me off from buying the Michel-Schlumberger because there was talk about going to stainless steel barrel aging only; no oak. I don't know if it's the ML or total stainless steel barrels, but the end result was dreadful. I use it as a punishment to myself when I enjoy too much wine. Have a poisoned apple, dearie. Maybe that will slow your out of control purchases down a bit.

You have decent knowlege and you're blunt. Those 2 work well when it comes to wine.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

This is what I get when I start reading the discussion thread...convinced to buy my first wine.woot! I'm moving in August and don't want to add large numbers of wine bottles to the list of things to move, but I was swayed by the "great summer wine" descriptions as I will now have the excuse to finish these before then.

spike31642

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spike31642

Well I finally bit, in for one and this is my first wine woot purchase!

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
MichXelle wrote:This is not a quality wine. You get what you pay for and I'm a wootfan. Not a wootwine fan.

I use California wines for cooking strictly. French and Italian wines are my forte, if you need some guidance let me know. Just make sure the husband is on the account, not the wife. She's not as knowlegable as I am about wines. Catch her for puter advice.

Apparently you don't drink any California wine, which is obviously a choice you are free to make. The vast majority of wine sold here is from California, and some of it is very, very good, and some of it, such as the current offering is much better than the price indicates.

In other words sometimes you do in fact get more than what you pay for.

Anyway, since you drink only French and Italian wines, I don't think your "if it's not French or Italian it's cr#p" commentary is very relevant to a board that has a lot of interest in California and other US West Coast wines.

wings2004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wings2004
MichXelle wrote:This is not a quality wine. You get what you pay for and I'm a wootfan. Not a wootwine fan.

I bought a case of this. I'm not a WootFan, I'm a Wine Fan ;) You should not comment on the quality of a wine without first trying said wine. And I also cook with wine, but I want good wine to go in my good food because that helps enhance the flavor. Anyone else reminded of the movie bottle shock from this post? P.S. if you haven't watched it, California beat the French.

gtlemming

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gtlemming

Another Lab Rat checking in! Sorry all for the lateness of the post, but the fiance and I cracked open the bottle last night and I hadn't had a second to sit down to post until now. We chilled the bottle for about an hour and opened it for a pre-dinner glass and then drank the rest with a cheese pizza.

I am a fan of the sweeter whites but the fiance not so much. She did not love it pre-dinner although after we started eating she liked it better. She commented that it was better at room temperature than straight from the fridge. I liked it from first sip. Definitely a summer one, and, we live in Florida, so it was perfect for the weather we have been having. I really liked it with the pizza, but I can see drinking this throughout the summer with all manner of summer foods (picnic food would be great). I could also see drinking this by itself (although I typically prefer wine with food), but it is a sweet, light wine that would be nice to sip by the pool.

When we first opened it, we both could taste the citrus notes and the taste of grapefruit. The smell was citrusy and bright. As the wine warmed, the buttery finish came through but when it was straight from the fridge it ended very clean and bright.

Woot wines are always an auto-buy for me and this was no exception. I would recommend this to those looking for a summer wine, something bright and clean and a little sweet that is perfect to enjoy during the summer heat!

wootfertexas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootfertexas

Last wooter to woot: wootfertexas

Yea!! My cork has been popped! My first wine.woot. Looking foward to it- not looking foward to when SWMBO sees the bank statement.

annette127

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annette127
Kailadriel wrote:They are cheap and prefer to mooch....but would anyone in Manhattan like to split? Pleeeeeeeaaaaase?

Yes!! I was just going to post the same question! How do we get in touch?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
MichXelle wrote:You have decent knowlege and you're blunt. Those 2 work well when it comes to wine.

And you have displayed ignorance about wine and you're arrogant and border on rude. The combination does not work well for much of anything.

French, Italian, and California wine all exist at levels of quality that range from what Monty Python called a wine for laying down and avoiding to the sublime. Even with the same grape varieties, the wines differ because of differences in terroir, viticulture, and wine making, but even the most knowledgeable connoisseurs and experts agree that great wines can come from many parts of the world.

You may prefer a particular region's characteristic style to those of other regions, but to generally imply inferior quality is simply ignorant. It suggests that you have not had the opportunity (or perhaps the inclination) to learn about wine through the only surefire method: pulling a lot of corks and remembering what you taste.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jwrebholz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwrebholz

The description makes it sound delicious, and the comments seem to back that up. Too bad I live in PA...Jatravartid regulations.

They weren't kidding when they said the opposite of progress is Congress.

LSlipetz

rpm wrote:And you have displayed ignorance about wine and you're arrogant and border on rude. The combination does not work well for much of anything.

French, Italian, and California wine all exist at levels of quality that range from what Monty Python called a wine for laying down and avoiding to the sublime. Even with the same grape varieties, the wines differ because of differences in terroir, viticulture, and wine making, but even the most knowledgeable connoisseurs and experts agree that great wines can come from many parts of the world.

You may prefer a particular region's characteristic style to those of other regions, but to generally imply inferior quality is simply ignorant. It suggests that you have not had the opportunity (or perhaps the inclination) to learn about wine through the only surefire method: pulling a lot of corks and remembering what you taste.

You have decent knowlege and you're blunt. Those 2 work well when it comes to wine (And putting people in their place)

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
MichXelle wrote:Use the rest for sauteing when cooking. Works real well with veal or chicken.

I'll agree, although the NoCo (aka wierdo wine) is undrinkable in my house, I have used it successfully as a cooking wine. Unfortunately I have an entire case of cooking wine...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

In for a case and gifted a case...I was bored so I counted up my woot.wine purchases since I joined...429 bottles +/- ...No wonder I have boxes stacking up and 3 full wine fridges...Time to look into a wine cellar and stop reading the forums.

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike
rpm wrote:And you have displayed ignorance about wine and you're arrogant and border on rude. The combination does not work well for much of anything.

I don't believe I've ever written the following in my entire life...but I actually did this:

LOL

No disrespect to the OP either, just thought it was funny.

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
tomaste wrote:Woot Cellars = autobuy!

Also, if you weren't around for the first one there's a super secret Woot style message in the name!

Try saying Triacipedis with a Bronx, NY accent.

If it still doesn't come to you, here is the answer. ;)

Ah - Tomaste, Tomaste - that worked. I was trying to do some version of a dinosaur species - the Bronx accent imitation made it all clear - thanks

granny24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages granny24

Sooo does anyone have the recipe for the White Peach sangria mentioned a few times?

lmckenno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmckenno

anyone order in eastern Nebraska and want to sell a bottle or two

LSlipetz

granny24 wrote:Sooo does anyone have the recipe for the White Peach sangria mentioned a few times?

+1

Would love to try this recipe

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
LSlipetz wrote:+1

Would love to try this recipe

Ingredients

1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry white wine
3/4 cup peach flavored vodka
6 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pound white peaches, pitted and sliced
3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved
Directions

In a large pitcher, combine dry white wine, peach vodka, lemonade concentrate and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced peaches, red and green grapes.
Refrigerate sangria until well chilled, at least 2 hours, or overnight to blend flavors. Serve over ice, and use a slotted spoon to include sliced peaches and grapes with each serving.

grizz78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grizz78
bdlsmoran wrote:Ingredients

1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry white wine
3/4 cup peach flavored vodka
6 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pound white peaches, pitted and sliced
3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved
Directions

In a large pitcher, combine dry white wine, peach vodka, lemonade concentrate and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced peaches, red and green grapes.
Refrigerate sangria until well chilled, at least 2 hours, or overnight to blend flavors. Serve over ice, and use a slotted spoon to include sliced peaches and grapes with each serving.

This sounds wonderful; thanks!

erollf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erollf
jaxboating wrote:I wish I could buy 3.... Will be great boating wine.... The last Triacip went way too fast!

No joke. I had to resist my temptation to drink the last bottle. And nearly cried when they brought the deal back and it sold out before I could get more.

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx

One more time -- anybody have thoughts on shipping this to Texas? It's over 90 every day and close to 100 most days now so I was trying to avoid purchasing anything until this fall, but what are everyone's thoughts?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jbfowlertx wrote:One more time -- anybody have thoughts on shipping this to Texas? It's over 90 every day and close to 100 most days now so I was trying to avoid purchasing anything until this fall, but what are everyone's thoughts?

Summer shipping should be starting either next week or the next so that will help once it begins. However, it hasn't started yet so... IMO, since this isn't hold-to-age wine, I think you're ok, even if it gets a bit warm. Opinions are varied about mild heat (no visible damage) effects on wine, but I fall into the " effects on short-term wines are minimal" camp. Long story short, I'd buy if I were you. And if there is any visible damage, i.e.: pushed or leaking corks, email woot.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

somhrita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages somhrita
davide63 wrote:Ah - Tomaste, Tomaste - that worked. I was trying to do some version of a dinosaur species - the Bronx accent imitation made it all clear - thanks

So I just went in for one after figuring out the inside joke. I was about to post and ask WHAT the inside joke was since I am culturally challenged and ignorant of bronx accents (originally from India)... but I got it anyway! Go american TV! :D

jbfowlertx

kylemittskus wrote:Summer shipping should be starting either next week or the next so that will help once it begins. However, it hasn't started yet so... IMO, since this isn't hold-to-age wine, I think you're ok, even if it gets a bit warm. Opinions are varied about mild heat (no visible damage) effects on wine, but I fall into the " effects on short-term wines are minimal" camp. Long story short, I'd buy if I were you. And if there is any visible damage, i.e.: pushed or leaking corks, email woot.

What's summer shipping? I'm in my first year of wine wooting so this will be the first summer season I may buy and I was planning to just sit it out.

jackiecanev2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jackiecanev2
jbfowlertx wrote:What's summer shipping? I'm in my first year of wine wooting so this will be the first summer season I may buy and I was planning to just sit it out.

$7 shipped in a refrigerated truck...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jbfowlertx wrote:What's summer shipping? I'm in my first year of wine wooting so this will be the first summer season I may buy and I was planning to just sit it out.

Don't sit out. Everyone can play!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jbfowlertx

kylemittskus wrote:Don't sit out. Everyone can play!

But someone else said summer shipping hasn't started yet.