cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
BlackCauldron wrote:Am I to understand that you lot will not be keeping to the code, then?

Technically it says "woot monthly and the number of thy woots shall be two or three". So technically, with a woot earlier this week, plus a woot today, that meets the 2 requirement

Technically.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
cheron98 wrote:Technically it says "woot monthly and the number of thy woots shall be two or three". So technically, with a woot earlier this week, plus a woot today, that meets the 2 requirement

Technically.

Five is right out

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I wasn't impressed with the last woot cellars wine I bought (EHP) but you guys have once again talked me in to purchasing some. Sadly, I do not have anyone to tell me no on buying. All I have to prevent me from buying is the lack of funds, although that seems to replenish itself every two weeks.

CT

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas

I'm gonna Triacipedis

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

Do want!

However with wine storage overflowing...could use 3 and not 6...anyone in the DC metro area willing to split ( and willing to order because alas MD is still one month from enabling shipping?)

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
wordek wrote:Do want!

However with wine storage overflowing...could use 3 and not 6...anyone in the DC metro area willing to split ( and willing to order because alas MD is still one month from enabling shipping?)

Funny, I just logged on...
I'll split this one with you too. Then we can do the handover of this and the Smith & Hook at the same time.
SWMBO just told me not to buy any more wine until we've 'caught up', but, I'm sure I can sell "just 3" instead of 6

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

rbs1731

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rbs1731

I'm new to choosing and drinking wines, and this forum has been a big help. Thanks to everyone. This will be my second WW. As my hubby is taking a nap, I've got to make the decision myself. Darn, well... YES

FisherQueen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FisherQueen
syphen9 wrote:
Also, the "Boss Monster Zinfandel" was not good wine.

I... I liked "Boss Monster."

http://contentedreader.com

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek
Flybranda wrote:Funny, I just logged on...
I'll split this one with you too. Then we can do the handover of this and the Smith & Hook at the same time.
SWMBO just told me not to buy any more wine until we've 'caught up', but, I'm sure I can sell "just 3" instead of 6

Perfect timing!:-) Sounds like a plan and I'm glad to settling this now because I suspect this could sell out way early this weekend...

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm

For me, the best thing about this is the label: I've tasted earlier versions of Triacipedis at various woot functions. They seemed well made for what they are, but were not wines I'd chose to drink or to serve because I'm not fond of wines at 2% RS and I'm not particularly fond of the blend.

Not a wine for those whose 'benchmark' cheap whites are Muscadet, Graves, or Macon Villages.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
wordek wrote:Perfect timing!:-) Sounds like a plan and I'm glad to settling this now because I suspect this could sell out way early this weekend...

Done
Talk soon

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

lannycohorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lannycohorn

So in purchasing this offering and reading all of the comments got me reminiscing about my time here on wine.woot! This, in turn, made me do some calculations....since June 10, 2010 I've ordered 111 bottles of wine here. My initial thought was... this is bad...then I decided no this is good I have a new hobby! Damn you wine.woot! :-)

kitcatbrat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat
tomaste wrote:No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

True. They broke the chalice from the palace.

Kailadriel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
lannycohorn wrote:So in purchasing this offering and reading all of the comments got me reminiscing about my time here on wine.woot! This, in turn, made me do some calculations....since June 10, 2010 I've ordered 111 bottles of wine here. My initial thought was... this is bad...then I decided no this is good I have a new hobby! Damn you wine.woot! :-)

you can totally get this more involved - how many wines have you manged to resists in ADDITION to those 111 you've bought

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rpm wrote:For me, the best thing about this is the label: I've tasted earlier versions of Triacipedis at various woot functions. They seemed well made for what they are, but were not wines I'd chose to drink or to serve because I'm not fond of wines at 2% RS and I'm not particularly fond of the blend.

Not a wine for those whose 'benchmark' cheap whites are Muscadet, Graves, or Macon Villages.

How about if your benchmark cheap is an Alsace Gewurz or German Riesling or more-than-blue-nun quality? For then the florals come into play and the off-dry and acid interplay is something you're used to...

wildaboutmn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wildaboutmn

In for one -- anything to get the "I only like Riesling in bottles that have pretty pictures" neighbor to drink more wine with us!

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov
Kailadriel wrote:They are cheap and prefer to mooch....but would anyone in Manhattan like to split? Pleeeeeeeaaaaase?

I'll do a 50% split, unless it's already spoken for.

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx

I really want to try this but living in Texas, it's consistently over 90 degrees and close to 100 some days. Isn't that too hot to ship wine or does woot put in cold packs or something that would make it possible?

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Crud. In for 2. Missed the Kaleidoscope and I'm out of White Oak for my summer sippin'.

Recipe for that Peach Sangria please.

Made the one with the White Oak SB and crushed pineapple (1 can crushed in heavy syrup, 1 tidbits in light syrup) and added a blood orange for color.
Superb.

eespinal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eespinal

This is my first comment, ever. I like sweet wines, the sweeter the better. Is today's woot a sweet wine? I'm a horrible wine hitchhiker...

lannycohorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lannycohorn
Kailadriel wrote:you can totally get this more involved - how many wines have you manged to resists in ADDITION to those 111 you've bought

Excellent idea! Plus I can feel better about myself as a person. "I know I purchased a ton of wine, but look at all those times I've resisted temptation!" I'm sure there's a "Deep Thoughts" moment in here somewhere!

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
eespinal wrote:This is my first comment, ever. I like sweet wines, the sweeter the better. Is today's woot a sweet wine? I'm a horrible wine hitchhiker...

I've not tried this vintage, nor has my question been answered about the previous vintage's residual sugar. Having said that, a general rule of thumb is that the more acidic a wine, the less the perceived sweetness. This wine has quite a low pH, which means it is more acidic.

jaxboating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaxboating
FisherQueen wrote:I... I liked "Boss Monster."

I did too!!!! Still have a bottle to drink

NatasG

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NatasG

The first Triacipedis was SOO good (think I am still savoring 2 bottles in my cellar) that this is an Autobuy!!!

Woot Cellars 2010 Triacipedis and the Minotaur’s Chalice - 6 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 17.933s
Last wooter to woot: NatasG

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
richardhod wrote:How about if your benchmark cheap is an Alsace Gewurz or German Riesling or more-than-blue-nun quality? For then the florals come into play and the off-dry and acid interplay is something you're used to...

Not sure. Most of the German Rieslings I drink (which is admittedly not all that often) are fairly upscale and have less residual sugar (excluding the intentionally quite sweet auslese or beeren- or trockenbeeren- auslese).

Gewurz, maybe. I have to be in the right mood for it, with the right food.

California Riesling, sadly, has much declined. Before Prohibition, it was world class. Many of the early winemakers were German when they weren't Italian. Even as late as the 1970s, there was far more Riesling than Chardonnay in California, and the quality - especially from Napa - could be really very good. Not the same as the very top Rheingau wines, but very good indeed. Stony Hill was one of the best, though made in quite small quantities.

When I lived in California, and could gorge myself on Dungeness Crab in season, I almost always drank dry Riesling with it. One of the 'made in Heaven' combinations akin to Oysters and (simple) Chablis and Lobster and premier or grand cru white Burgundy (or equivalent Chardonnay).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
FisherQueen wrote:I... I liked "Boss Monster."

I did too. I still have one bottle left. The last bottle I drank tasted wonderful with a beautiful vanilla finish. Do you have any left? If so, pop one soon and enjoy!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Oh, well, so much for the thought of "I'm moving and don't want to buy more wine until afterwards". I'm in.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Sigh.

I'm in for one, because its a Woot Cellars offering.

But.

My friend does not like sweet wines. She hated Kaleidoscope, and I'm the one that will end up drinking it by myself. The whole case.

Anybody in the San Jose are want half of my order?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Rockhawks1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rockhawks1

Lab Rat...Checking in. Better late than never. I apologize that I am so late with my post. Duty calls.

I decided to share this bottle with a few friends. Next up, we are opening the 2008 to see if it still has any life yet.

This wine was very tart at first taste. We all thought the wine was dominated by Sauv Blanc possibly being at least 60%. As it slowly warmed to room temperature, we all really noticed the chardonnay take over.

During the beginning we could smell some apple, grapefruit, and citrus. Taste started with grapefruit with some late buttery taste. As the wine warmed, the butter taste became stronger.

Our observation, if you like Sauv Blanc, serve chilled. If you prefer a more buttery chard, serve closer to room temperature.

Overal, this wine is ok. If this wine was more like $7, I think I would be in. $10 a bottle might be a little too much...

I am still on the fence if I am going to buy any. I will probably drink too much wine tonight and end up buying some anyways!!!

bonechrusher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonechrusher

in for 2-perfect choice for woot number 100!!!

pah53

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53

Happy Friday!!

I started this thread over on World of Woot Wine so if anyone has any recommendations, please visit my thread. Thanks.

"We're traveling to Temecula to celebrate a 50th birthday. Does anyone have any wineries to recommend? Also, we'd like to take the birthday girl to dinner, not extravagant but one with a nice atmosphere or scenic view with good food at a decent price. Has anyone eaten dinner at the Meritage at Calloway Winery or The Smokehouse Grill at Ponte Winery? Thanks in advance for any suggestions."

brettstr42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettstr42

I sure hope you Woot Faithful are right. My wife's gonna kill me for this one so it better be worth. Woot! In for 1. Pray for me guys/gals.

kylemittskus

brettstr42 wrote:I sure hope you Woot Faithful are right. My wife's gonna kill me for this one so it better be worth. Woot! In for 1. Pray for me guys/gals.

Pray for you? We will not. Give you a place to crash when SWMBO kicks your ass out? Absolutely!

brettstr42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettstr42
kylemittskus wrote:Pray for you? We will not. Give you a place to crash when SWMBO kicks your ass out? Absolutely!

That'll work. Keep you cell by your side tonight. That's me calling around 11.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
SmilingBoognish wrote:I've not tried this vintage, nor has my question been answered about the previous vintage's residual sugar. Having said that, a general rule of thumb is that the more acidic a wine, the less the perceived sweetness. This wine has quite a low pH, which means it is more acidic.

Agree on the prior. Not perceived as sweet.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chefjef

quality posts: 10 Private Messages chefjef

i loved the 2008, i love all the Woot Cellars offerings. cant wait to try this stuff.
yum!

I still have 4 bottles of Humbug resting gently in my cellar =)

wrighai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wrighai

LAB RAT REPORT

First...apologies for the late post. Between being stuck in the Cincinnati airport last night and fumbling around with FedEx all day (I nearly chased the FedEx guy down the street - he admired my "enthusiasm" to get my package), I didn't get the wine until this afternoon.

It's been quite a week for me, between the announcement of a big promotion AND my first golden ticket I feel like I have won the lottery!

Three of us tasted: Mom, Dad, and me. Mom and Dad both thought a little too sweet for their tastes - although all glasses did end up empty. I thought it a bit sweeter than I normally drink (for whites, I am a sauv blanc fan) but a lovely summer sipper for drinking poolside if it ever gets above 50* here in Chicago.

My first impression was more citrus - namely grapefruit then some apple. It was acidic and had an almost effervescent feel. All agreed that it had a great, smooth finish. As the wine warmed up I did note more of the buttery finish that another rat mentioned.

All in all, I thought it was quite tasty and bought a case. Thanks wine.woot for the chance to rat! On with the celebration!

jwayner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jwayner
syphen9 wrote:

Also, the "Boss Monster Zinfandel" was not good wine. I save the bottles for the end of a long night of drinking after my guests don't know the difference ...

It's a matter of taste, but I've got to disagree on this one, after sitting in a decanter for a while, I thought it was really good. It also improved over the months it sat in my cellar.

Speaking of taste, I really didn't care for the NOCO chard. Was thinking about pouring it down the drain and recycling the bottles, but if there's anyone in the Milwaukee area that would like it, I've got four unopened bottles left, plus one that's had half a glass poured to confirm the first bottle. First come, first served. Can you PM on the forum?
Jim

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
JOATMON wrote:Sigh.

I'm in for one, because its a Woot Cellars offering.

But.

My friend does not like sweet wines. She hated Kaleidoscope, and I'm the one that will end up drinking it by myself. The whole case.

Anybody in the San Jose are want half of my order?

PM for you

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

brettstr42 wrote:That'll work. Keep you cell by your side tonight. That's me calling around 11.