cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

With one bottle of the original left, I'm in for a case of the new! Could make for an interesting tasting session... the old, the new and Kaleidoscope. Now if summer would just arrive in Minneapolis, I'd be all set!

jadas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadas

This will be my first white since beginning what it quickly becoming a wine hobby. My wife and I are excited about giving it a try! This could become a wine addiction if we start liking whites too... Here's hoping!

letshunt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages letshunt

I don't like woot anymore. I say to myself "I'll just go eye candy it and get all googly eyed, but not buy it." Then 70$ later I realize what I did and and don't even regret. WOOT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!

jaxboating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaxboating

I wish I could buy 3.... Will be great boating wine.... The last Triacip went way too fast!

BlackCauldron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCauldron
cheron98 wrote:Yes but I've already made like 2 purchases THIS WEEK. I is really poor now.

Am I to understand that you lot will not be keeping to the code, then?

"We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine" Eduardo Galeano
Oh, poor miserable Gurgi deserves fierce smackings and whackings on his poor, tender head. Always left with no munchings and crunchings.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
deadlyapp wrote:I think I'm going to have to go in on this one. I'm almost out of my case of kaleidoscope and this sounds pretty similar based on the stats. I hope it lives up to its original appeal.

If I remember correctly the Kaleidoscope also had minimal amounts of Viogner and Muscat so not sure if it is similar. That being said wife and I loooved the kaleisdoscope (I am not a big fan of whites) and am hoping this is similar! Peace

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

peterman99 wrote:In for one, and my first ever wine.woot buy!

it won't be your last.

runtlee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages runtlee

LABRAT REPORT

Color is pale yellow, very clear, no sediment at all.
I allowed about 2 hours chill time before I plunged into this bottle. Initially I get fresh cut green apple on the nose, maybe a hint or two of pear, not much on the floral side. First sip again reveals sour green apple. It’s a bit tart up front, but really smooths out mid-palate, and finishes with just the right amount of sweetness.
As it warms to room temp, it really starts to open up. Kiwi, honeysuckle, and just a touch of hyacinth join the party. The chard blossoms a bit as well, adding its distinct creamyness to the blend.
This is gonna be a great summer sipper. The 2% residual sugar is a bit misleading, as this is not as sweet as I thought it might be. It’s balanced well. Tart up front, creamy mid-palate, with a crisp, just sweet enough finish to make you go right back to the glass for another sip!
Definitely a bit tight right out of the bottle, but 30 min or so does this wine wonders. Although I'm not pairing it with any food right now, there is no doubt in my mind that it would hold its own with a nice piece of grilled fish, or something spicy.
WD, it’s been almost 2 years since I’ve purchased wine on the net… but you got me with this one… sneaky devil! I’ll be in for a case. Any of you still on the fence? Jump! You won’t be disappointed. I just pray that this case lasts longer than its predecessor.
Thank you, again, for the opportunity to lend my amateur hand to the awesome WW community

justinpincar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinpincar

1st ever lab rat review here...

I know very little about wine, but I know a lot about drinking. And this wine, friends, is an excellent choice for an everyday drink.

This review is a bit biased as well - I'm a huge fan of whites, and a gigantic fan of these cheap, "summertime", white blends. But I do think it's fair to say that this wine is objectively very tasty, and has solid quality for the price.

Like the other folks mentioned, it smells totally floral. Each sip tastes as good as it smells, bursting out with bright, juicy, and slightly tart apple, which stays with you throughout the drink. Also like the others described, I think lemongrass is a good way to describe the finish. It's slightly grassy... but not lawn clippings grassy... definitely smooth and still a bit of light, balanced sweetness.

I'm buying a case. :-)

losthighwayz

I need some clarification re: grassiness and green notes. What does that mean exactly? I am not a big fan of herbal notes/grassiness as I have come to define them. Would the KaleidoscopeFerrari-Carano Fume Blanc be considered grassy/herbal? I would say NO. Please chime in if you've had the aforementioned as I truly enjoy those whites and want to order Tri if it is along those lines. Thanks!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
cheron98 wrote:Edit: 2% RS? Really? Wow. Doesn't come across as "sweet" at all. Crisp, fresh, fruity... not sweet.

Also: For up to 4 players, level 21 and over.

Damnit Octocat! In for a set.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

richardhod wrote:You had it at Java's last July. did you like it? IMHO this was better than the Albino Rhino. The Triacipedis was less malic, less green sharp tasting. You taught me that word while comparing the wines!.

I loved the 2008, but it wasn't 2% sweet, IIRC. I still have a bottle of the 08 which I will open along side one of these when my set arrives. SIWBwhat?!

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz

Well all the excitement on the boards made me email woot and have them bump my order up from 1 to 2. Guess I am in for a whole case now. Thank you all for fueling my wine addiction/obsession.

msruru

quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru

Does the Friday deal last all weekend?

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

Thanks to all the rats (and Chevron) for the tasting notes. It is always greatly appreciated and makes my decision that much easier. Like others, I've been in auto-buy mode when it comes to Woot Cellars offerings. Looks like I'll be continuing this trend. I'm not a big white wine drinker, although my wife is. That being said, I'm already envisioning myself sitting outside, watching the sunset with a smile on my face as I pour myself another glass.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea
msruru wrote:Does the Friday deal last all weekend?

Yes...unless it is sold out.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
msruru wrote:Does the Friday deal last all weekend?

Yes.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

tekisama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tekisama

Last wooter to woot: tekisama

I loved the original - by itself, in sangria (white peach sangria was awesome with Triacipedis!). In for a case. And I still have one bottle of the original left, so I can compare!

theomach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theomach
cheron98 wrote:
Well hi everyone! I had a feeling this would be showing up today. WD exceedingly kindly sent us a couple of bottles for the Detroit gathering this past Saturday. So theomach, tommythecat78, Zoomba77, and cyborgdo11 and I all got to try this (along with all the others who were tagalongs).

Yes I was one of the lucky ones who was able to try this last weekend at the DTW wine gathering.

I liked the Woot Cellars 2010 Triacipedis just as much if not more than the 2008 Triacipedis. The fruit and floral notes are definitely prominent and always kept you coming back for more. I noticed that it paired especially well with some of the spicier food available most notably the spicy buffalo wings. One of the memorable things that someone said after trying it with the wings that, "Usually the food makes the wine taste better but in this instance the wine makes the food taste better too."

justinpincar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinpincar
losthighwayz wrote:Please chime in if you've had the aforementioned as I truly enjoy those whites and want to order Tri if it is along those lines. Thanks!

I bought two cases of Kaleidoscope, and in my uneducated opinion this is pretty similar. This one might be a bit more of a burst of fruit flavor, whereas I thought the Kaleidoscope was a very mellow drinker.

My advice: Definitely buy it, and as much as possible.

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy
tekisama wrote:Last wooter to woot: tekisama

I loved the original - by itself, in sangria (white peach sangria was awesome with Triacipedis!). In for a case. And I still have one bottle of the original left, so I can compare!

White peach sangria is totally my intent with at least a couple of these bottles. Its my new go-to summertime cocktail with everything from grilled ribs and chicken to hearty comfort food when the summer storms roll thru... Can't wait!

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

My First Woot Cellars Ever! A Perfect Poolside Sipper. Who's got a pool I can visit in NorCal?

WineDavid was my Boss!

losthighwayz

justinpincar wrote:I bought two cases of Kaleidoscope, and in my uneducated opinion this is pretty similar. This one might be a bit more of a burst of fruit flavor, whereas I thought the Kaleidoscope was a very mellow drinker.

Thanks! I love how fellow wooters egg e/o on w/our vice!

pikapi88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pikapi88

This sounds like an interesting buy. I am nervous though because I did not like the Kaleidoscope at all. I actually gave away four of the bottles. There was an aftertaste to the Kaleidoscope that I just didn't like.

Anyone had both of these that wouldn't mind clarifying how similar/different they are?

Thanks!

Our Blog
www.teachuswine.com
Our drink as we learn adventure

pikapi88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pikapi88
justinpincar wrote:I bought two cases of Kaleidoscope, and in my uneducated opinion this is pretty similar. This one might be a bit more of a burst of fruit flavor, whereas I thought the Kaleidoscope was a very mellow drinker.

Hmmm so if I didn't like the Kaleidoscope chances are this will be a miss as well....

Our Blog
www.teachuswine.com
Our drink as we learn adventure

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Keep in mind the Kaleidoscope has three + more years in bottle and the fruit should be fading out over the next year or two. This wine should be much fresher and should be showing a lot more fruit.

CT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Did the 2008 have 2% residual sugar?

syphen9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages syphen9

I hate to come down on woot, which I love. But RS in a non-dessert California wine sugests a flabby wine that is trying to hide its flaws beneath sugar. The sweet wines of Germany benefit from the RS because the acid levels are so high due to the cool regions they are grown in. The tradition of American sweet wine has taken full advantage of the hot regions to chase any all acid out of the wine leaving a surupy mess that is augmented by leaving sugar in. I have bought West coast wines with RS through Woot before and will not repeat the mistake.

Also, the "Boss Monster Zinfandel" was not good wine. I save the bottles for the end of a long night of drinking after my guests don't know the difference between wine and whisky anymore.

Sorry for the rant Woot. I just had some things I had to get out there. I hope we can be friends.

Souka

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Souka
sykotek wrote:Serious question:
Has there ever been a bad woot! cellar release?

Yes....just a few days ago.. JanKris Estate Mixed Red Case
http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4486299

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
syphen9 wrote:I hate to come down on woot, which I love. But RS in a non-dessert California wine sugests a flabby wine that is trying to hide its flaws beneath sugar. The sweet wines of Germany benefit from the RS because the acid levels are so high due to the cool regions they are grown in. The tradition of American sweet wine has taken full advantage of the hot regions to chase any all acid out of the wine leaving a surupy mess that is augmented by leaving sugar in. I have bought West coast wines with RS through Woot before and will not repeat the mistake.

Also, the "Boss Monster Zinfandel" was not good wine. I save the bottles for the end of a long night of drinking after my guests don't know the difference between wine and whisky anymore.

Sorry for the rant Woot. I just had some things I had to get out there. I hope we can be friends.

I love a good rant as much as the next person, but I think that in criticizing this wine as an example of a bad trend, you are painting with a rather broad brush, especially since we have reviewers specifically saying that this particular blend does not come off as sweet, and who are noting the acid in the wine.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
syphen9 wrote:I hate to come down on woot, which I love. But RS in a non-dessert California wine sugests a flabby wine that is trying to hide its flaws beneath sugar. The sweet wines of Germany benefit from the RS because the acid levels are so high due to the cool regions they are grown in. The tradition of American sweet wine has taken full advantage of the hot regions to chase any all acid out of the wine leaving a surupy mess that is augmented by leaving sugar in. I have bought West coast wines with RS through Woot before and will not repeat the mistake.

Indeed we can be friends! It's great to have a good chinwag. Yet, have you seen the pH of this wine? pH3.2 And that's on a logarithmic (log10, edited for accuracy) scale so that's not just a little more acidic than, say, 3.4. This is Champagne (and Alsace) acid territory.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
Souka wrote:Yes....just a few days ago.. JanKris Estate Mixed Red Case

That's not from Woot Cellars, though. The OP was asking about wines bottled under Woot's label, like this one.

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
pikapi88 wrote:This sounds like an interesting buy. I am nervous though because I did not like the Kaleidoscope at all. I actually gave away four of the bottles. There was an aftertaste to the Kaleidoscope that I just didn't like.

Anyone had both of these that wouldn't mind clarifying how similar/different they are?

Thanks!

I'm waiting for some more advice/thoughts myself before I decide on this one.

I liked the Kaleidoscope more than you, but also wasn't in love with it.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

kylemittskus

First of all, this offer has the high acid to hold the 2% sugar, or so it seems from the numbers and the reports. And second of all, after a year in bottle the Boss Monster was delicious!

richardhod

Souka wrote:Yes....just a few days ago.. JanKris Estate Mixed Red Case

Ah, an easy mistake to make: "Woot cellars" means wines commissioned, labelled and branded by woot itself! Not just any woots from other people, but stuff WD actually asked someone to make. It used to be secret as to who made it, but they changed a law somewhere, so now we get to know where they came from. Eg the last red one was actually a relabelled Pedroncelli 08 Cabernet Sauvignon at a good price.

Only the Boss Monster I think has suffered widespread approbation, and even then some say it's good if you cellar it. Most of them seem to improve over 6 month to 2 years, depending on colour etc.

This is made by the guys who made Triacipedis too, and the guy we met last year is pretty smart, and will explain his winemaking to you nicely if you ask!

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Great. Now wine woot has me buying wine at 30,000 feet in the air. Here i thought I could escape...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
richardhod wrote:... ln10 ....

ln10? Oymoron.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Interesting discussion, as my wife and I really enjoyed the 2 cases of Boss Monster we purchased, as did many of our wine drinking friends. But I am also lush enough to admit that I don't mind a flabby, jammy, high alcohol CA zin when I'm in the mood for one! I also appreciate the much derided oak bomb of a chardonnay, as well as the much lauded crisp unoaked chardonnay.

The Woot Cellar offering that I enjoyed the least thus far was Adequate Gift - it's the only Woot Cellars offering, other than the recent Monkey's 2nd Prize, that I haven't polished off. I'm hoping it gets better with a couple years - it definitely was a chameleon when left open for a night or three on the counter top.

I think this conversation highlights the fact that different palates like different things and have different sensitivities. I believe this is *particularly* true for table wines in the $10 price range. At this price point, a technical connoisseur can undoubtedly find flaws which some folks will find a deal killer while others will overlook.

FWIW, Syphen9, I am also scared off by the 2% residual sugar, but found the last batch (2008) of Triacipadis to be a crowd pleasing picnic/bbq wine that had enough acidity to be crisp and enough perceived fruitiness to appeal to folks who don't drink a lot of wine. If my wife wasn't pregnant, I'd definitely be in on this deal, but this is the kind of wine that is best enjoyed fresh and we won't be getting to it this summer.

losthighwayz

mawy wrote:White peach sangria is totally my intent with at least a couple of these bottles. Its my new go-to summertime cocktail with everything from grilled ribs and chicken to hearty comfort food when the summer storms roll thru... Can't wait!

u mind sharing your sangria recipe?

richardhod